Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Auckland'73 complete?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2011 23:52

Check this out :

"Rolling Stones - Western Springs, Auckland, NZ.
11th February 1973

Source: audience recording, generation unknown
Quality: C+ to D+

A = excellent, E = abysmal

cd-r-> Logic Audio -> AIFF -> FLAC

TRACKS:

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
09 Can't Always Get What You Want
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Jumping Jack Flash
13 Street Fighting Man

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - guitars, backing vocals
Mick Taylor - guitars
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums

Additional musicians

Bob Keys - saxophones
Jimmy Price - trumpet, trombone
Nicky Hopkins - piano

This is a wonderful recording I have of the Stones only concert in New Zealand in the southern hemisphere summer tour of 72/73. A lively and full-on show with a punk rock rendition of "Street Fighting Man" with raga like lead guitar by Mick Taylor. Fantastic! This is the show that prompted the rumours of their return every three years or so but the return didn't actually happen until 22 years later! All of the instruments and vocals are audible and pretty clear on this recording and there is hardly any audience noise until later in the tape i.e. "Jumping Jack Flash". There has been no signal processing at all with this document although the intros and outros of the songs had to be redone as the cd-r had slight gaps between the songs.

While this isn't an excellent audience recording it isn't at all bad for 1973. The bass sounds a tad distorted in places and during the first number and ninth you get the impression the taper was trying to get closer to the stage and further away from it for the end of the concert as the sound has a different character from the beginning to the end. The last tune sounds as though it was being done at the edge of the venue right up by the fences and you can hear that it is a huge concert of 10's of thousands of people. However my ears and guesses could be wrong and this might be a mesh from different sources. There was a rumour as well that this originates from a very rare Japanese vinyl bootleg. But to this day I've never seen this but could be convinced that this is true as there is what appears to be vinyl surface noise audible on "Jumping Jack Flash" and in a few other places where the levels are quiet.

This concert appeared on Dime some time ago I recall but this is from my cd-r source, not from that version. This came as a gift about a decade from a Stones collector to whom I am very much indebted for giving this gem to me. Up till I saw it on his list I had no idea it even existed! It has remained to this day one of my favourite recordings of any live show. There's bits in it that are just hilarious from Keef's slightly fluffed up intro of Brown Sugar to Jagger sounding rather jumpy i.e. "Bitch" and some of his show-biz chatter between songs. You'll want this if you dig this period of the Stones and like a show and recording with a bit of character. Enjoy.

From the HT archives.
Uploaded to Dime by Happy Trader January 2011.
You know the drill. For trade or giveaway only"

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Re: Auckland'73 complete?
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 11, 2011 23:57

I'm going to have a listen to THIS version. I may have been the original taper. I remember that called to Jagger "let's have a look at ya" at the end of one of the songs when he (Jagger) spent too much time facing charlie Watts. It's a loud call on my cassette, I possibly still have the original cassettes and also have photos from the gig somewhere too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-11 23:59 by midimannz.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 12, 2011 00:01

The recording circulating is Auckland until Midnight Rambler.
The last two tracks JJF and SFM are from another show, maybe Adelaide. Question mark remains if Rip this joint was played.

Is this a different source? If yes, JJF and SFM could be from Auckland.

Date: January 12, 2011 00:15

Glad/proud to see you're a IORR regular, midimannz smileys with beer

And of course please post files of your original cassettes if you still have them...

Date: January 12, 2011 09:00

I'm holding my original cassette in my hand, and there's my writing from all those years ago. Track list was writen on the case

Side One
01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia

Side Two
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Rip This Joint
13 Jumping Jack Flash
14 Street Fighting Man

Its all here. I need to convert from cassette to FLAC or MP3. I have a usb adapter but I've never done it before. Some patience may be necessary. I also need to learn how to upload to somewhere. hot smiley

Date: January 12, 2011 10:36

FLAC would be the best choice imo... Thx for your generosity midimannz!

Date: January 12, 2011 12:24

I anxiously await for this tape.

So, finally, we have confirmation that RTJ was played.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: January 12, 2011 13:57

straycat58
I anxiously await for this tape.

So, finally, we have confirmation that RTJ was played.

why do you think this is a confirmation ?
most probably it is a fake compilation like on most circulating versions.
but it´s good to check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-12 13:58 by falo01.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: January 12, 2011 14:35

Newly circulating material is so rare these days, especially from the MT era. What a nice surprise this would be!

Date: January 12, 2011 15:15

falo01
why do you think this is a confirmation ?

because midimannz wrote that he taped the show and in the tracklist RTJ is included. So, unless he was at a show other than Auckland, I reasonably conclude that Rip this joint was played and that midimannz has the recording of the last three tracks of the show, which are currently unavailable.

Date: January 12, 2011 20:02

I live in Auckland, New Zealand in 1973. Was Front and centre of the stage with my trusty (mono) recorder. Been a big Stones fan since 1968, own over 150 original vinyl 'boots' and heaps of original books, magazines and newspaper articles from the era. I understand the sceptisism though. I will endeavour to get this tape up as soon as I can, it will be nice to be able to give you all something back thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-12 20:03 by midimannz.

Date: January 12, 2011 20:26

"I will endeavour to get this tape up as soon as I can, it will be nice to be able to give you all something back"

smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer

Date: January 12, 2011 20:38

oops, I didn´t realise that you were talking about your own recording. I read on dime a few days ago about the guy recording the known tape, that he had to stop the recording so I thought this is the same recording here. sounds interesting.........

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 12, 2011 20:40

falo01
oops, I didn´t realise that you were talking about your own recording. I read on dime a few days ago about the guy recording the known tape, that he had to stop the recording so I thought this is the same recording here. sounds interesting.........

the other source "you can't always get what you want is cut in the middle ?

Date: January 12, 2011 20:56

When I finish work today (I'm on the way now) I will attempt the transfer from Cassette and let you know. I've never done this before, so if I get stuck in the process somewhere - watch out for me.......

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 12, 2011 21:54

midimannz
When I finish work today (I'm on the way now) I will attempt the transfer from Cassette and let you know. I've never done this before, so if I get stuck in the process somewhere - watch out for me.......

Good luck and may God bless you!

Date: January 12, 2011 22:19

Dear Midimannz,

This is the best news of this decade !
Fantastic ! I'm thrilled ; can't wait to hear the real thing.
I have the original full ticket stub from this show !
The stub I have framed together with the "KIWI" poster from Ian McAusland.
The poster is from the 2nd printing from 2004 I believe.
I can probably scan the stub for some artwork ?
Do you remember if the Kiwi poster was sold during the show ?
Appreciate your response .
Schuine

Date: January 12, 2011 22:40

The 'Kiwi' Poster was only for Promo use - from ticket outlets. I still have a slightly battered and worn copy, and about 120 colour images from the front of the stage. All reasonably good as our show was day time. I have seen a DVD of 1973 - looked like Western Springs with over dubbed sound. If I was clever enough (which I'm not0 at Audio/Video I would consider putting it back to 'correct'. Back to work
I see the comment above - I'll send up 'Rip This Joint' first perhaps to remove all doubt ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-12 23:00 by midimannz.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 12, 2011 23:10

WOW, many thanks in advance midimannz!
A new source is always very much appreciated!
smileys with beer

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 13, 2011 00:29

Very interesting news. I hope you are successful in sharing this recording.

I recommend the free program "Audacity" for recording. It can also perform editing tasks and can divide up the tracks if I remember correctly (I no longer use it). It can also save to the recommended FLAC format which creates larger files than mp3, but is lossless so no musical information is discarded when saving.

Date: January 13, 2011 01:02

Thanks for the tip, I use Sonar v8.5 for my own home recording and I see it exports raw files to flac, wav and mp3 as a standard option

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 13, 2011 01:35

Midi, lets hope it all goes well mate..looking forward to this significant peice of Stones History...was it the last gig with Taylor?????

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 13, 2011 01:44

midimannz

There's LOTS of folks here who are more than willing to help you out.

If I could make a couple of suggestions. For one, punch out those little 'tabs' on the back of the cassette, that will prevent you accidentally recording over the tape.
Once you have transferred each side of the cassette onto your HD make a copy immediately & put them into a separate folder, that way if/when you make a mistake you have a backup & you won't have to go through the whole recording process again.

Don't record at too high a level, about 3/4 is good, you will be able to bring everything up to the maximum digital level (or 'normalise' as it's called) at the end of the process.

Do all your work as wav. files & only convert to flac at the end.

I don't have Sonar (I currentl have Cakewalk Plasma Express) and I'm not sure what it's like as an audio editing programme, I've always used Sonar products for midi sequencing rather than audio editing. The suggestion to use Audacity is a good one particularly as it's freeware (bless their hearts)

If you have problems with splitting into sepaate tracks you could maybe post each side complete & we could do it for you.

A lot of us here use Megaupload as afile sharing host so that may be a good place to post your results.

Date: January 13, 2011 02:39

SKILLS
Midi, lets hope it all goes well mate..looking forward to this significant peice of Stones History...was it the last gig with Taylor?????

no that was berlin oct 19, 1973

Date: January 13, 2011 04:19

Cheers falo, I shoulda looked it up. i was getting a little too excited at the prospect of this audio.

Midimann, I'm local (as in anywhere in the north island or beyond if need be and am willing to donate any equipment you need to this cause)..bless ya in advance.

Megaupload works sweet out of NZ so that could be your point of upload if your looking for a strong world wide portal

Date: January 13, 2011 04:39

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm in Whangaparaoa, I'll be on to it shortly. I took the manual to work and read up on how to connect the record player I recently purchased. I have a seperate Cassette player which I can use via the aux in RCA plugs.

So it will be Cassette => Amp => PC => Sonar8.5 => you.

I'm leaving work in about an hour. I have a new LP record player I purchased specifically to transfer my Vinyl boots over to the digital format, as stated before I have many, many of them (bootlegs) which I purchased late 1970s onwards until Toad Halls Rare Records in Australia got busted. I only ever played the boots one time - that was to record them on to cassette, so they are in absolute mint condition.

The record player has a USB connection on it. If I am unable to get the USB out from the player to the USB in on my PC I still have a back up plan. The Speaker outs are RCA plugs which will fit nicely into the input of my M-Audio usb interface which I use to record vocals and guitar etc into the Professional Studio Version of Sonar8.5 I use. I have been using Cakewalk products forever, originally only for midi composition and playing with backing tracks in the 1990's,but nowadays I'm predominantly running my rig with audio as the software/hardware/storage/memory capacity has caught up.

Thanks for the Megaupload hint as that was a missing peace of the puzzle. I have accounts with most of the 'biggies' but wondered which one would be best for this forum.

When I get home shortly I will get the audio transfer underway and report in.

PS the poster of the 1973 NZ Tour mentioned earlier that is being sold by the original artist is NOT the same size as the original 1973 one, the '73 poster was larger. hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 04:40 by midimannz.

Date: January 13, 2011 05:11

The Peninsula, top spot, i've gotta a mate in Stanmore and another at Manly. love the fishing.

I'm in Grafton usually but away over the bombays at the moment

This is a profound public service your doing, am may the tape gods bless this little endeavour

Cheers

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:28

A big thank you, Midimannz!

Date: January 13, 2011 10:30

Upping the raw wave files (Side One & Side Two) to mega upload. It's a bit hissy but good enough if someone has time to clean it up. If I am happy to re-up with 'tips', then I will redo the tape. Have a listen - if I can make it better at my end, I'll do what I can.

Once I've figured out how to let you know in Mega where they are I'll be back to you

I'm sending side TWO first (424meg)
Side Two
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Rip This Joint
13 Jumping Jack Flash
14 Street Fighting Man

1.31hr to go at 73 kB/s

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 11:55 by midimannz.

Auckland'73 PART TWO Coming in now
Date: January 13, 2011 10:51

Western Springs Part TWO - from cassette to Wave file - untouched or modified to you (424meg) - I will break them up into individual flac & mp3 if some of you think its good enough.

[www.megaupload.com]

Western Springs Part ONE (228 meg)

[www.megaupload.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 13:22 by midimannz.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home