Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Auckland'73 complete?
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 14, 2011 03:57

I love this that you guys can get all this sorted...bless man bless. IORR absolutely

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 14, 2011 05:16

Awesome mann, I was 2years 3 month old, and 15 years later November 1988 I got what i thought would be the closest i'd get to Stones gig in Jagger Solo, little did I know i'd get 2 more opportunities to witness the experience that is the "Greatest R"N"R Band in the World".

Bless Mick for being a good'ol colonial boy when time calls, heck the brothers in Oz even had him play their greatest folk hero.....

And Doctor Andrew Law at Ascot Hospital for fixing Keith up primo.... New Zealand, most amazing place you'd ever want too visit. we'll look after ya, Come on Down Brothers and Sisters. Because Frankly if it is good enough for Keith too get a hole drilled in his precious scull then by billyo it is good enough for you

midimannz
“The Stones is coming, The Stones is coming”, blared out of my transistor radio, over the whole of the summer, the end of 1972. The concert for the ‘greatest rock and roll band in the world’, was set for 11 February, 1973, and tickets were priced, at a whopping, $4.90!
Exile on Main Street, the first double album the band had put out, had been played so much, I literally wore out a copy, as I had played it to death on my Pye Isotronic stereo, and bought another copy of the album, as had the previous vinyl release, Sticky Fingers which I had also worn out.
Even though the radio DJs were playing the Stones big hits, of the 60’s, and suggesting the band would play those tunes - paint it black, last time etc, at the upcoming concert, I had been collecting the overseas magazine cuttings, and reviews from the USA 1972 tour, and had a good idea, that most songs that would be played by the band were from the last two albums.

In these times, it took three months for the English magazines to arrive on our Shores, but even by Christmas 1972, the reviews of their Stateside shows they had played in June –July 1972 were amazing. I was reading stories of fans camping out at the gates, of the gig, to be the first ones in when the stadium opened. Then it was a rush, to be first in, to get the best spot – stage front. Some even slept over, on the night before, outside the venue of the gig, to be the first to get in.
All over the summer, the radio blared out, and the tension, was rising. I knew, it would be the ‘event of the year’, for me. The USA reviews, I was reading in the music magazines, were incredible. The reviewers went on, about the great guitar dueling, between Keith and Mick Taylor. Get Yer Ya Ya’s out was excellent, as a live album, and I was really looking forward to attending this show. I knew, it was going to be a killer gig. A group, of around ten of us, decided to go to the show together. We arrived, the day before, with our beer and blankets, and slept (as much as we could!) outside the gates at Western Springs Stadium.
Somehow, sleeping on the hard, ground in the cold shade, on the grass of the stadium was not the festival atmosphere I had been reading about, in the overseas magazines, and Concert books. I hardly slept at all it was so uncomfortable.
The concert was due to get underway at about 3pm, so it was going to be a very protracted, long wait in the hot summer sun of the day. I was there, with my camera, and trusty cassette recorder.
The concert finally got underway, in full glare of the summer sun. The Support act (Itambu?) did their best, but hey, I realised even then, who would ever want to come on stage, and warm up the crowd, before the mighty Mick Jagger?
It would be a very brave band, to think the crowd was even slightly interested, in their original music. Still, we clapped politely, and after they finally took away the gear, and set up the stage , we waited patiently, as New Zealanders do, for the ‘greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World to appear”
Finally, after an agonizing hour, the PA announced, ‘The Rolling Stones’ and onto the stage the band ambled. The first thing you notice about Jagger, is the huge mouth, when you see him live on stage. Brown Sugar got the concert underway, and I used up about two, or three, rolls of film in the first 30 minutes. The tape recording I made as listen to the recording now, I hear it as sloppy, out of tune in parts, vocally poor, but on the day, from the front of the stage, in 1973 – the music was magical.
A life changing moment

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 05:34 by SKILLS.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 14, 2011 05:45

Thanks to all who are taking the time and energy to complete this. If I ever find the original cassettes (2 track mono) Is there any point further to let you know?

great job again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 05:46 by midimannz.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:00

MANY thanks for taking the time to get this out to everybody. I would say yes, if you find the original cassettes they'll probably be worth digitizing because they may will be an improvement over the copies. Perhaps less hiss? Again, thank you!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:08

midimannz
Thanks to all who are taking the time and energy to complete this. If I ever find the original cassettes (2 track mono) Is there any point further to let you know?

great job again

Definitely yes

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:04

midimannz

if this version is a 1st gen copy I dont think there will eb a big improvement.
I get rid of all the hiss, thats no problem.
btw, the tape is running to slow, I have to speed it up (11%) to get the same
speed as the other source.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 11:05

falo01
midimannz

if this version is a 1st gen copy I dont think there will eb a big improvement.
I get rid of all the hiss, thats no problem.
btw, the tape is running to slow, I have to speed it up (11%) to get the same
speed as the other source.

Falo, the other source runs fast.
Actually the correct speed is in the middel between the two sources. Best way is to compare with another show at correct speed, like Sydney.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 14, 2011 11:16

[www.sendspace.com]

Intro Western Springs 73.wav

only the intro 40 sec..right the new source left the old one..

Date: January 14, 2011 11:36

straycat58
Falo, the other source runs fast.
Actually the correct speed is in the middel between the two sources. Best way is to compare with another show at correct speed, like Sydney.

will be difficult to find out the correct speed, I´ll try.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 14, 2011 12:57

Just checked with a tuned guitar in hand. The 'correct' speed can be achieved by setting the speed ratio to 90.5 %. The tapespeed probably fluctuates so it might not be the perfect pitch throughout but it's close enough for my ears.

Edit: The speed does indeed fluctuate: The speedcorrection needed for Brown Sugar for instance is aprox. 93 %.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 13:07 by Britney.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 14, 2011 13:22

I'm using Gazza's source from Rock's Off, not VGP which is a copy of that. Slow Gazza's source by one semi-tone & you've got it in concert pitch. VGP is slightly different, reduce by a semi-tone & it's almost there.
Now to get the new source in tune with that, it's fighting me, time to give my ears a rest

Date: January 14, 2011 14:46

well I will mix the 2 sources using the speed of the old source which would be a speed ratio of 89%. you can hear speed changes even on the old tape (brown sugar).
if necessary, one can still correct the speed afterwards, although I cant judge if 1-2% are audible.

Re: Auckland'73 PART TWO Coming in now
Posted by: Andy L ()
Date: March 14, 2015 11:46

midimannz
Western Springs Part TWO - from cassette to Wave file - untouched or modified to you (424meg) - I will break them up into individual flac & mp3 if some of you think its good enough.

[www.megaupload.com]

Western Springs Part ONE (228 meg)

[www.megaupload.com]

Midimannz, would it be possible for you to reupload these two parts (i.e. your complete recording) in WAV or FLAC format please? Or if you've split them into individual tracks, that's fine too. I wasn't aware there was a second, complete Auckland 73 source until now! Many thanks in advance.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 14, 2015 15:14

Thank you. Like Elvis, the .wav file has left the building. confused smiley

Date: April 13, 2015 08:13

[mega.co.nz]

I'm sure this is MY complete show that Falo mixed in 2007

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: April 13, 2015 17:53

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Chris from Belgium

Date: April 14, 2015 01:46

I've just awakened, so I may be remiss... is this the same source as the recent Auckland 1973 complete release? The one on Electric Ladyland? Cheers. smiling smiley

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:05

Thanks a lot smileys with beer

Bill's bass is really on!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:22

He was the only band member who was "on" that day... grinning smiley

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: April 14, 2015 19:42

Is this version better than "RAINBOW SPRINGS (DOG n CAT RECORDS [DAC 119]) ?

[dbboots.com]

And what are the differences between two?

Might be beginner's question...Please

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2015 20:14

DAC's might be tweaked a bit too much but usually the speed is dead-on on boots from this label.
Anyway the gig is so bland (imo) that it won't matter much which version is the best. winking smiley

Date: April 15, 2015 04:46

I think the DAC version came out before I shared my tape, the last 3 or 4 songs from memory were from the Sydney 1973 concert, not Auckland. Respectfully, my cassette tape was the first to surface which was the complete Auckland show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 04:46 by midimannz.

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: April 15, 2015 08:30

Thanks for info, dcba & midimannz smileys with beer

Posted by: selgas ()
Date: April 15, 2015 08:42

Hi midimannz, I think Rainbow Springs (DAC-119) was published in 2011 specially to include your tape and updgrade (fill in the gaps) their previous release Winter Tour Auckland 1973 (VGP-015, also re-released in 1995 as part of the 2CD All Meat Music, VGP-055).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 09:28 by selgas.

Date: April 15, 2015 09:47

Thanks for clearing that up. These days we're a little smarter - I've nearly completed a (different) Video (Bluray & DVD) version from my last Rolling Stones recording and will make it difficult for those leachers to copy and sell. Real fans however, can have it for free.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:43

winking smileythumbs up

Date: April 16, 2015 00:39

dcba
DAC's might be tweaked a bit too much but usually the speed is dead-on on boots from this label.
Anyway the gig is so bland (imo) that it won't matter much which version is the best. winking smiley

"Phoned in" is one way to describe it. But ask fans who were seeing the band for the first time; more than likely they were blown away. It's just people like us who have heard that set hundreds (if not thousands) of times can judge it critically.
The July 25th 1972 Madison Square Garden evening show is the perfect example. The film footage shows Mick at his very best. The boot of the show clearly shows the band exhausted and sloppy in parts.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:12

HEILOOBAAS
dcba

"Phoned in" is one way to describe it. But ask fans who were seeing the band for the first time; more than likely they were blown away. It's just people like us who have heard that set hundreds (if not thousands) of times can judge it critically.
The July 25th 1972 Madison Square Garden evening show is the perfect example. The film footage shows Mick at his very best. The boot of the show clearly shows the band exhausted and sloppy in parts.

A boot is not often/seldom a good criterion. Think of the Marquee Dead Flowers we just got. How great it sounds, while as a bootsong it was condemned. Great audio can change so much. The same goes for the second (official) Brussels. Great audio makes that obviously "off" show great. Any off show I would say, provided that it's from the Taylor era of course.

Date: April 16, 2015 06:43

It was a day time show , in the glare of the Afternoon sun it was missing the atmosphere the 'Ladies & Gentlemen' show has.

The band was sloppy in hindsight.

At the time WOW!!! It's the ROLLING STONES!!!

Front Row click, click , click goes the camera

Posted by: selgas ()
Date: April 16, 2015 09:07

Midimannz, did you find your pictures / negatives of the show?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home