Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bristol 27.6.1982 - Rainy night in Bristol ???
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:03

I'm wondering...was anyone here at this show in '82.? The reason I ask....One of the bootlegs for this show is called "Rainy night in Bristol". The recording has Mick saying something about getting "wet up here" and "Gonna slip on my arse in a minute" at different times.....the problem with this is....it didn't rain....it was boiling hot summer's day. I've racked my brain trying to remember any rain and just can't.....did anyone here go and remember differently ...or....offer any explanation for Mick's comments...were the Bristol songs spliced togethor with a different show maybe.....and if so does anyone know which one.....? Thanks for any info if anyone knows anything, Eddiebyword

Re: Bristol 27.6.1982 - Rainy night in Bristol ???
Posted by: yann ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:48

Hi

I've found this report :

'It needed more than a brief downpour to dampen the spirits of 36,000 passionate Rolling Stones fans as Mick Jagger and Co played their first Bristol concert for 11 years. 'The seething crowd, packed like sardines on to the pitch and crammed into the terraces on three sides of Bristol City's Ashton Gate ground, were never going to let a spot of bad weather take the edge off the jubilant proceedings. 'They arrived in marvellous humour. They sang, clapped, danced and chanted with all the gusto they could muster. 'The weather stayed kind throughout the warm-up proceedings. Indeed, the Stones were half-way through their long show when dark clouds rumbled overhead and the rain came down.

It's on this page :
[www.flickr.com]

Date: December 21, 2010 14:04

yann
Hi

I've found this report :

'It needed more than a brief downpour to dampen the spirits of 36,000 passionate Rolling Stones fans as Mick Jagger and Co played their first Bristol concert for 11 years. 'The seething crowd, packed like sardines on to the pitch and crammed into the terraces on three sides of Bristol City's Ashton Gate ground, were never going to let a spot of bad weather take the edge off the jubilant proceedings. 'They arrived in marvellous humour. They sang, clapped, danced and chanted with all the gusto they could muster. 'The weather stayed kind throughout the warm-up proceedings. Indeed, the Stones were half-way through their long show when dark clouds rumbled overhead and the rain came down.

It's on this page :
[www.flickr.com]
Thanks Yann, I don't remember that at all......Hmmmm...as I said on Tell me...must have been just too absorbed in dancing...(But then neither does Brown Moses who posted over there too)....Oh well...Thanks again, EddieByword

Posted by: tarmon ()
Date: December 2, 2012 13:35

I was there,it did rain briefly, and I seem to remember someone walking on the roof of one of the stands behind the goal.

Date: December 2, 2012 14:18

tarmon
I was there,it did rain briefly, and I seem to remember someone walking on the roof of one of the stands behind the goal.

Cheers tarmon, as I say I don't remember, a hole in my memory on that one...........

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: December 2, 2012 14:28

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: December 2, 2012 14:55

Thanks Ray. How did anyone ever know anything before youtube?

Date: December 2, 2012 15:20

Keessie

I was at the foot of Jagger's left hand walkway (as you look at the stage)...there was a huge metal plate on the floor , about 12 foot x 12 foot, me and this girl I knew danced just about all the way through the show, oh god, to be 22 again............eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 2, 2012 15:26

I don't know what youtube clip has been posted as my pc can't see it but I've just looked at the 14m or so clip on youtube of local news reports from the day and I don't see any mention of rain.
I don't remember any rain on the day although there may have been the odd shower but nothing to justify calling it a *rainy night in Bristol*.

Date: December 2, 2012 15:40

Brown Moses
I don't know what youtube clip has been posted as my pc can't see it but I've just looked at the 14m or so clip on youtube of local news reports from the day and I don't see any mention of rain.
I don't remember any rain on the day although there may have been the odd shower but nothing to justify calling it a *rainy night in Bristol*.

Also it wasn't exactly night time, I remember walking along the road under the Clifton suspension bridge after the show to get back to the M5 and it was completely light all the way, show finished early............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 15:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 2, 2012 16:14

Yes,I agree Eddie,I would say they came on in late afternoon.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 4, 2012 01:09

EddieByword
I'm wondering...was anyone here at this show in '82.? The reason I ask....One of the bootlegs for this show is called "Rainy night in Bristol". The recording has Mick saying something about getting "wet up here" and "Gonna slip on my arse in a minute" at different times.....the problem with this is....it didn't rain....it was boiling hot summer's day. I've racked my brain trying to remember any rain and just can't.....did anyone here go and remember differently ...or....offer any explanation for Mick's comments...were the Bristol songs spliced togethor with a different show maybe.....and if so does anyone know which one.....? Thanks for any info if anyone knows anything, Eddiebyword

Ah!! this was my tape - It was passed to me by a fiend who was at the show - I would need to dig it out and listen - but I seem to remember you can hear the rain hitting of the recording mike - It was also me who made the primitive artwork and title,Again I seem to remember that the reason the show was cut short was due to the downpour - I think I'll dig out the cd's and see if it jog's my memory.I was not personally at the show, so I stand to be corrected by anyone who was indeed there.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 4, 2012 01:32

Found the cd , just got to listen to it now - Here is a link to pics of the CD

[wtrns.fr]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 01:34 by Tonstone.

Date: December 4, 2012 02:28

Tonstone
Found the cd , just got to listen to it now - Here is a link to pics of the CD

[wtrns.fr]

This is so weird - Twilight zone stuff - first I was there, I don't remember rain or Mick's supposed comments about slipping on his arse,(and nor does Brown Moses from this board).....boiling hot summer's day,
more weirdly I do remember thinking the next day, "Oh they didn't play Brown sugar, HTW, etc. It also says the show was cut short in james Karnbach's book, The complete guide to the Recordings of the Rolling Stones. (and also as per your CD cover)
However, I did have two recordings of this, in the worst one which I've since dumped, just after Mick does say about slipping on his arse (which I didn't actually remember) this guy says "OOOOER, he got a Bristol city shirt on..." which of course does place the recording of Mick's "slipping on his arse", in Bristol.
However again, both this recording and the one I've still got has everything, Miss you, HTW, Start me & up Brown sugar..........Also betweeen these tracks Mick can be heard shouting a couple of times stuff like "Bristol, do you want to rock'n'roll some more?" etc. The one recording was so bad there's no way someone would bother splicing in songs from other shows.??

Nico Zentgraf also has a complete setlist.

Nico Zentgraf............820627A 27th June: Bristol, England, Ashton Gate FC
(Under My Thumb/When The Whip Comes Down/Let’s Spend The Night
Together/Shattered/Neighbours/Black Limousine/Just My Imagination/
Twenty Flight Rock/Going To A Go Go/Chantilly Lace/Let Me Go/Time
Is On My Side/Beast Of Burden/Let It Bleed/You Can’t Always Get
What You Want/Band introduction/Little T & A/Tumbling Dice/She’s So
Cold/Hang Fire/Miss You/Honky Tonk Women/Brown Sugar/Start Me
Up/Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 02:30 by EddieByword.

Posted by: adrianmfa2 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 04:22

There wasn't rainy night...

[url=

][/url]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 04:27 by adrianmfa2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home