Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gap closing..more help if possible
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 20, 2010 01:02

Hi there again to Rolling on, Vox12string and Strettonbull, I wonder if you could help me again with gap closing ? I downloaded Foobar2000,although my burns are a lot bettter than with just burning MP3's straight off with Nero I still have a small click at the join of the tracks; Is this to be expected or is there a way of making the burns completely seamless ? Am I missing something or doing something wrong ? I installed Foobar with full optional components...click on FILE, click on make new playlist... add files / folder.. when setlist is complete right click on first track..menu opens up... scroll down to convert, move cursor over to the right, ignore 'last used' option ( on the first song at least ) click on empty box underneath 'last used' to access setup dialogue box...1.OUTPUT FORMAT ..(wasn't sure whether to select WAV, WAVE64 or WAVPACK,NORMAL)....I selected WAV,.2.SPECIFY FOLDER .. I made a target folder and designated that to the output path... 3.OUTPUT FILES box I chose ' convert each track to an individual file ' ( in experimenting I did try to ' merge all tracks into one output file ' but it just created one track which was basically track one and it changed the name to Image ??? ) anyway my main efforts were concentratred on ' convert each track to an individual track '..I then clicked on the processing dialoge box... ticked Replay gain processing... ticked DSP .. configured SKIP SILENCE and CROSSFADER ( Crossfader configuration = 2000ms ) I couldn't see anything about ' Frames ' as mentioned by SSSOUL ( last but one entry on the original thread )...anyway I did all that and thaen burned the CDr using NERO on the slowest speed 4X but still had this click going on, my question of course ...can it be solved... thanks again in advance for anymore help you can give...Eddie...

Re: Gap closing..more help if possible
Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: June 20, 2010 01:56

Hi Eddie,

I close the small typical mp3 gaps between the tracks this way:
I convert all mp3s (of one CD) with foobar2003 to a single wav file
then I delete all small gaps with Nero WaveEditor and insert at once track splits.
At last I save all tracks with Nero WaveEditor as wav files.

This way is extremely time-consuming but with a superb result.

Greetings

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:14

best way to do it is never convert to mp3 unless you want to live with these problems. words to live by! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 20, 2010 03:20

Trouble is blakeeik most shows are MP3 to start with.....forgive my ignorance but can you burn FLAC to CDr? Werther, I googled Foobar 2003 but could only find a download for Foobar 2000, can the same job as you descibed be done with 2000 ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 03:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:20

blakeeik
best way to do it is never convert to mp3 unless you want to live with these problems. words to live by! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I can't describe it better!

Posted by: Argentino ()
Date: June 20, 2010 04:10

werther2003
blakeeik
I can't describe it better!

For some strange reason some years ago i use to convert my FLAC/WAV/SHN files into MP3/WMA files, but some day i see that is not the best way to store or play files with the best quality possible, so i absolutely agree!!

Cheers,

Martín

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: June 20, 2010 08:30

Hi EddieByword,

Yes you can burn flac to cd with Nero i do it all the time without converting.

All it requires is that you download the free Flac plugins for Nero.

You can go to the following site and get the plugins you want and follow the instructions on how to add it to your Nero. Depending which version of Nero you have it will tell you how to add the plugins you desire.

Here is link for free plugins such as Flac and more:

[www.bitburners.com]

Good Luck.

P.S. To play Flac on your computer you can use the VLC Media Player.

Date: June 20, 2010 11:58

Thanks a lot 'The Don' for your input, very helpful, thanks, Eddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 11:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: June 20, 2010 12:01

maybe this helps, at least for converting wav to mp3:

mkw Audio Compression Toolkit

with this software there are no gaps between songs after converting

Date: June 20, 2010 12:31

Thanks Falo01, my shows are already in mp3; is the toolkit you mentioned suitable for removing gaps from shows that are already mp3 and don't necessarily need converting before burning to CDr ? Thanks...EddieByword

Date: June 20, 2010 14:44

sorry, no, it´s not for removing gaps.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: June 20, 2010 15:17

Try burning a CD using Nero on its own. Drag all the files to the compilation area in the order that you want them. Highlight them all and then right click. Select properties. next change the gap from 2 seconds to 0 seconds.

Next tick the "crossfade" box and adjust this to around 0.5 seconds. This should solve the gap problem. If it doesn't, you can experiment with the time and increase it slightly if necessary.

Yes in an ideal world, it's best not to convert to a lossy format, but that is not the subject of this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 15:18 by strettonbull.

Date: June 20, 2010 16:03

strettonbull

Next tick the "crossfade" box and adjust this to around 0.5 seconds. This should solve the gap problem. If it doesn't, you can experiment with the time and increase it slightly if necessary.

very interesting. thanks for the head up, I´ll try it in case I need it some day.

Date: June 21, 2010 12:59

Hi Strettonbull, thanks for your input and taking the time to try and help me with this gap closing business again, I followed your advice through ( so near ,so far ) I got to the part of reducing the 2 second gap to 0, that was O.K. but there was no box with 'crossfader'; There was a box called FILTERS, when I opened this there were other options, declick, dehiss etc and also Fade in and another.. fade out..( seperate options ) I tried applying those but the drawback was these options would only allow a minimum of a 1 second fade ( in or out )( no fractions of seconds as you suggested ) I tried it, it was a bit smoother but of course the dropout was obvious; am I using a different Nero from you ? I'm using Nero 7 - Smart essentials, it seems strange I should get different options to you, as I said ....so near...very frustrating... EddieByword. P.S. When I highlighted just one song there was an additional options box called ' Indexes,limit & split ' I had a quick look and I'm guessing this is for editing individual tracks but haven't worked out how to use it yet so don't really know if this will work either,and as Werther 2003 pointed out even if it does, it extremely time consuming, saying that, if a labour of love is necessary ...so be it, O.K. Cheers Strettonbull...( any further ideas would of course be welcome ) EddieByword

Date: June 21, 2010 18:37

I use Nero 6, which in my opinion was the last decent version before it turned into "bloatware". Unfortunately version 6 won't work with Windows 7 though. If you're using XP you would be OK.

I've just done a bit of research for you and it would appear that Nero Smart Essentials is a cut down and crippled version of Nero.

Sounds like you need to get hold of the proper version.

Date: June 21, 2010 20:58

Hi Strettonbull, thanks again for your help - I beginning to think this project is a bit jinxed - I downloaded Nero 6 Demo but straight away as soon as I tried to make ' an audio CD' I got a warning advising me that there were 'known compatibility issues with Windows XP' so that was again that, I had to reinstall Nero 7.....Hmmm...O.K. Strettonbull thanks again for your efforts...EddieByword

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 21, 2010 21:10

I never had a problem using Nero6 with Windows XP. When my daughter moved and I had to get my own pc it had windows 7 and I was super pissed that you had to get a Nero version tht I never did figure out. I dont know why they cant leave well enough alone!! Right now I'm using CD burner XP out of neccessity. The only good thing is the newest version of Windows media player is it will burn flac files gapless.

Date: June 21, 2010 23:32

I've never had any compatibility issues with Windows XP and Nero 6. Never even seen that message.

If you email me, I'll send you a link to a proper version of Nero 6 with a serial number.

Date: June 22, 2010 01:52

Hi Strettonbull,I'm wondering if you got my Email as requested ? I sent it about 2 hours ago...I can resend if you didn't...EddieByword

Date: June 23, 2010 13:07

Gaps now closed, thanks to everyone who helped....thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home