Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

post : "British Farewell Tour 1971", Leeds, University Of Leeds, 13 March, 1971 & London, Chalk Farm Roundhouse, 14 march, 1971 (Get Your Leeds Lungs Out - Dog N Cat Records DAC-089)
Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: April 19, 2010 22:36

Get Your Leeds Lungs Out (Dog N Cat Records DAC-089)

Disc 1 (59:30): University Of Leeds, Leeds, England - March 13th, 1971:
Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
band introduction
Honky Tonk Women
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
Little Queenie
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Let It Rock

Disc 2 (52:02): Chalk Farm Roundhouse, London, England - March 14th, 1971 (2nd show)
Jumping Jack Flash
Live With Me
Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
Prodigal Son
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
band introduction
Honky Tonk Women
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

The latest pressing of Get Your Leeds Lungs Out on Dog N Cat collects together two very common tapes from The Rolling Stones’ “Farewell” tour in the spring of 1971, just about a month before the release of Sticky Fingers and their tax exile in France. The first disc is the same incomplete Leeds soundboard that has seen countless releases over the last thirty-eight years on multiple formats. The last silver release was on Get Your Leeds Lungs Out on the Empress Valley-related Halcyon issued in 2006. That version sounds very crisp, clear and lively compared to what DAC is offering here. While DAC-089 is still excellent sounding, it is much heavier than the Halcyon offering and maybe some collectors prefer their Rolling Stones sounding that way.

The University of Leeds hosted many famous acts in the seventies who delivered some of their best shows before an appreciative audience. This tape was broadcast as a BBC Radio special on April 13th and again on May 30th on “Sunday Music” hosted by John Peel. The show was played a month before the release of Sticky Fingers (with the radio broadcast a month after to benefit from from the LPs release), and their playing in these live shows has the same dark, cut throat nihilism. It is still missing the first song of the set “Jumping Jack Flash,” which is known to have been played based upon a review of the show, and presumably ”Live With Me.” The tape cuts in with Mick Jagger introducing the new song “Dead Flowers” and what follows is a brilliant performance all around.

“Midnight Rambler” has a strange sounding, happy introduction before the song gets started. Jagger is very animated during “Midnight Rambler” as he repeats his smut with “go down on me baby.” The new song “Bitch” is referred to as an “uptempo ditty.” The title of the tape is derived from Jagger’s request before “Honky Tonk Women” for the audience to “get your Leeds lungs out.” But the arrangement of “Satisfaction” is very strange. The ending has two Chuck Berry covers and one of the most aggressive performances of “Brown Sugar” on tape.

Disc two has the second Roundhouse show in London on the following night. This was the final show of the tour before taping an TV special at the Marquee the following week. DAC uses a good audience recording which was utilized on vinyl on London Roundhouse (Trade Mark Of Quality TMoQ 1812 A/cool smiley and British Blue Jam (Contra Band Music CBM 3426 A/cool smiley and appears on the CD title The Lost Marquee Tapes (Vinyl Gang VGP 030) copied from vinyl. It is a good to very good sounding audience recording of most of the show. “Little Queenie,” “Brown Sugar,” “Street Fighting Man” and perhaps “Let It Rock,” judging by setlists of other shows, are missing.

The performance displays both the elation of playing the final show of the tour but also a hint of melancholy. Beginning with “Jumping Jack Flash,” they reserve their creativity to the slower and sadder songs in the set such as “Stray Cat Blues” and ”Love In Vain.” “Prodigal Son” makes an appearance for the only known time and it is a remarkable performance. Jagger’s annunciation of the lyrics is crystal clear and makes one wonder, given the theme of the song, if he’s thinking about himself. “Midnight Rambler” has a more appropriate beginning in keeping with the long blues. They play the same arrangement of “Satisfaction” as they do throughout the tour before the tape cuts out.

Dog N Cat package this with their high quality inserts with several pictures from the actual Leeds show on the inside (Charlie Watts wearing the “LEEDS” t-shirt). Although it is good to see the Roundhouse show make an appearance, coupling it with Leeds shows a lack of confidence with this label, thinking it can’t stand on its own. The truth is, since every Rolling Stones collector on the planet has a copy of Leeds this release comes very close to being superfluous. It will appeal to those who must have every DAC release out there, but the Halcyon is still the superior version of the tape.

Now in flac
CD 1 [www.megaupload.com]
CD 2 [www.megaupload.com]

Stonesmuziekfan have upload the mp3 version here and you find the artwork on the same link
[www.iorr.org]

Re: post : "British Farewell Tour 1971", Leeds, University Of Leeds, 13 March, 1971 & London, Chalk Farm Roundhouse, 14 march, 1971 (Get Your Leeds Lungs Out - Dog N Cat Records DAC-089)
Date: April 23, 2010 21:54

Also in the newsgroups
alt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.sounds.lossles smoking smiley

Ray

Re: post : "British Farewell Tour 1971", Leeds, University Of Leeds, 13 March, 1971 & London, Chalk Farm Roundhouse, 14 march, 1971 (Get Your Leeds Lungs Out - Dog N Cat Records DAC-089)
Posted by: DiddleyBo ()
Date: April 23, 2010 23:56

Thank you!

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 24, 2010 00:35

that's one of my favorite boots smiling smiley
I rate Roundhouse gigs among the best by Taylor... every song, every solo's smoking...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 24, 2010 01:11

Amused
I rate Roundhouse gigs among the best by Taylor... every song, every solo's smoking...

I had a video of Love In Vain from Roundhouse on YT but is was suddenly removed some days ago. It's one of the best LIV's ever imo

Date: April 24, 2010 15:28

kleermaker
Amused

I had a video of Love In Vain from Roundhouse on YT but is was suddenly removed some days ago. It's one of the best LIV's ever imo

Was it not the Marquee Club ?

Posted by: Janneman ()
Date: April 25, 2010 02:18

dank je wel Keessie

Jan(neman)

Date: April 25, 2010 16:16

Keessie
kleermaker
Amused

No it was absolutely certain from 'Roundhouse'. In my last YT vid are the solos from that track.

Date: April 28, 2010 20:19

kleermaker
Keessie
kleermaker
Amused

No it was absolutely certain from 'Roundhouse'. In my last YT vid are the solos from that track.

Yes the audio, but not the video ?????

Ray

Date: April 28, 2010 21:28

Keessie
kleermaker
Keessie
kleermaker
Amused

Yes the audio, but not the video ?????

Ray

No film or video at all in that videowinking smiley. Only some pictures from boots from the UK 71 Tour.

Posted by: funkycrow ()
Date: April 29, 2010 04:23

Great post.
Thanks so much.

One of the best versions of Midnight Rambler out there.
Download this just for MR.

Amazing,

>grinning smiley<

Date: May 2, 2010 19:38

funkycrow
Great post.
Thanks so much.

One of the best versions of Midnight Rambler out there.
Download this just for MR.

Amazing,

>grinning smiley<

There are a lot of good versions of MD thumbs up

Posted by: ede ()
Date: May 22, 2010 11:38

Many Thanks

Complete Reference Work Of All Official Publications
since 1962

Fully Illustrated Book On CD-ROM

[i.ebayimg.com]

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: June 2, 2010 12:22

Thanks for this Flac version

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: September 27, 2019 22:11

Would someone be kind enough to upload this (at least the Roundhouse) for me, please? I know Leeds and some tracks from the Roundhouse have been officially released but I would very much like to hear the audience from the Roundhouse. Thanks!

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 28, 2019 09:38

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 20:57

Thanks!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 29, 2019 09:09

Thank you.I'll be posting Jimmy Shelter's Coventry 1971 in a little while. His remix is actually quite listenable. I'm the only fan who thinks they sounded knackered and bored on this tour. Maybe Keith's heron use, maybe the big move, who knows?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home