Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question: If I am Trading Boot Disks, Is There A Need for Me to Have Drives That Can Play and Copy CD+ Disks
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 8, 2008 19:43

As I am trading back and forth boot CDs, is there a need for me to have the drives that can play CD+R and CD+RW disks AND the ability to dub them?

This question comes as I am preparing to buy some new equipment. I was thinking -- are there people who still might be making copies for me on CD+ etc disks?

Further, if they send me those, I may have a need to make further copies, I guess onto CD+ disks unless u can copy onto any kind of CD disk.

I was told that CD+ format "never really took off." I guess CD- format is the one that dominates today.

Please help me out on this. Thanks.

P

Re: Question: If I am Trading Boot Disks, Is There A Need for Me to Have Drives That Can Play and Copy CD+ Disks
Date: September 8, 2008 19:54

I was just told that CD+R, etc disks do not exist, that the + is only found in DVDs. Sometimes I wonder about myself and the idiocy that can creep in.

Re: Question: If I am Trading Boot Disks, Is There A Need for Me to Have Drives That Can Play and Copy CD+ Disks
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 8, 2008 20:11

Dont feel bad-as long as I'm around you'll never be the dumbest or slowest when it comes to all this stuff!! One thing I might mention is most people I trade with(concerning dvdrs) use dvd-r and my player seems to have better luck with them. Although when it comes to "dual-layer" I think the only ones I've seen are dvd+r so go figure!!!

Date: September 8, 2008 20:19

well, I don't think I was so dumb after all as I just talked to a sales rep at Best Buy. They do still sell them, but not many -- he said that most (but not all) modern units can play the CD+ format.

So either way, problem solved, hopefully.

P

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 8, 2008 20:21

Here goes my dumbbut again-whats the difference in the formats? I never did really understand.

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: September 8, 2008 22:01

Here you go, some bed time reading smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Disco Makberto ()
Date: September 9, 2008 12:37

This is how I understand these issues, based on a term paper I did for college when these things were more popular:

1) CD- refers to all CDR's, which means, all recordable (CD-R) and rewritable (CD-RW) CD-type media.

2) CD+ is actually termed "CD Plus" although some people call it CD+ . This refers to a 2-session disc on which there are some tracks recorded as normal music CD's (CD-DA) and a section with data CD info (CD-ROM). Obviously, a CD Plus can be recorded on a CD-R or on a CD-RW.

Not all CD players can read CD-/CDR's in the same way that not all CD players can read CD+/CD Plus.

I hope this helps.

Carlos Albert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home