Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 205
Re: OT: "Forever Country" - Best Country Video I've ever seen
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 23, 2017 21:33

I guess the video itself has great production values, even it's basically full of the same conceits and self-importance that you see videos in every other genre.

Don't even get me started on the pretense of modern "country" artists.

I prefer the old guard. Since discovering this clip a few months back I play it over and over.

I know it's not a "video" per se. But the sheer simplicity and economy of the arrangement combined with the virtuosity of the players and George Jones' down-home enthusiasm that threatens to run off the rails any second make this exhilarating live TV performance one for the ages.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 23, 2017 22:19

Interesting. Two spaces on the Top Ten Best Selling Country Albums of All furricking Time are taken by the Dixie Chicks; I'm assuming some technical or travel difficulties must have prevented them from a spot with all these people who have sold many times less and didn't make the Top Ten Best Selling Country Albums of All furricking Time ever in their lives. That being said, except for Keith Urban eye rolling smiley very nice to see so many hugely talented singers together.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 23, 2017 22:33

edit: oops sorry; meant the 'what are you listening to right now' thread. eye rolling smiley
well as long as i'm fixing it; apart from the Dixie Chicks thing,
I really do love a lot of the artists in this video.
Obviously Dolly, Willie, Vince Gill, Miranda; a lot of people I like and a lot of really talented singers behind many well deserved big hits.
It's going to be beyond ridiculously empty in this world without the likes of Willie and Dolly...tho they may outlast a kid like me.
I can't believe they are still so active and vital, and totally tuned-in with such deep, well wisdom actually, as well as brilliant songs and style.
Both still touring and Willie is still in that bus, no matter how well set-up it is, and etc...
...that Willie just blows me away...I think he's gonna be, or is already: 84 !!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 22:46 by hopkins.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 23, 2017 23:11

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 24, 2017 02:02

What is "Forever Country"? It made me realize just how lame what they call country music today is. Nice to see a few old-timers in it, but jeezus, it's got more b*llsh*t spread through it than an old cow pasture when you really think about it.
Don't get me wrong. I know musical styles change, but "Forever Country" is fake country meant for the folks who watch "The Voice" (which I know many people love) and similar, but after a few episodes, ehhh.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 24, 2017 02:19

We have a whole section for videos, best one you've seen, just saw it today. Alrighty.

Miss You by Buddy Guy & Junior Wells (1987)
Posted by: Mickerdicker ()
Date: June 23, 2017 23:59

[www.youtube.com]

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Live at Nick Vollebregt's Jazz Cafe, Laren (NL) - 1987

Full concert:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 00:05 by Mickerdicker.

Re: Sinatra was the Best
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 25, 2017 01:02

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
It's funny on here, the hostility towards the thought that we might have other loves in music or want to discuss a talent like Sinatra because he's not Rock like the Stones . It comes across as jealousy. I mean I love Mick and Keith as writers and performers but they haven't really got singing voices to compare with the greats.
Personally I love so many types of music and singers that it's a shame we can't discuss a man like Frank Sinatra on a music forum like this without the crap. The guy was incredible, if you don't get him or like him there are plenty of other threads.
Its not like the Stones are so active right now that this just gets in the way of everything.

In fairness, I think this would have been a pretty straightforward, non-controversial thread had the original post been marked "OT;" then people could have just jumped in or ignored it, without feeling like the OP was trying to say there was some sort of Stones connection.

I think the Author of the thread already explained that he tried to change it to an OT thread.
Now it appears to be a country thread confused smiley

Re: Sinatra was the Best
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 27, 2017 22:14

Funny quote from Linda at 4.40 who was your favorite at the Beatles mania.................

[youtu.be]

OT - Sammy Davis, Jr.
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 27, 2017 16:40

Man, talk about multi-talented!

We all know his singing, dancing, acting.....but check out drums (sticks & brushes) and vibes....

[www.youtube.com]

Sort of like the vaudeville actors, who had to be able to do ANYTHING. If you comedy wasn't going over, you'd better be able to break out a singing voice, or instrumental ability, or dance, or mime, or whatever would not get cabbages thrown in your direction!

Re: OT - Sammy Davis, Jr.
Date: June 27, 2017 17:07

Wow. Who would've thought Sammy Davis Jr would end up on IORR? A very overlooked and underrated artist, IMHO. I have a few albums by him. The best, again IMHO, is his collaboration with Laurindo Almeida. It has been a constant in my listening since it first came out and cuts from it are part of what I call my "permanent music mix". Here's their version of one of my fave somgs.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 27, 2017 17:25

I saw him perform live once, in 1975. He was great when he was actually singing and dancing. Unfortunately, he spent fully half of the show telling stories and conversing with members of the audience. But even some of that was very entertaining.

"Sammy! Can I give you a kiss?"
"No, I'm sorry. I can't let you do that"
"Jerry Lewis lets me do it"
"Yes, but .... Jerry Lewis is crazy"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2017 18:50

Candy Man was a big hit in 1972. smiling smiley

Also the theme song to Baretta was catchy...heard on a weekly basis when the tv show aired, yet never really a hit.
Sammy Davis Jr - Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 28, 2017 18:24

Hairball
Candy Man was a big hit in 1972. smiling smiley

Also the theme song to Baretta was catchy...heard on a weekly basis when the tv show aired, yet never really a hit.
Sammy Davis Jr - Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow)

When I was a kid I watched this show all the time and I never knew it was Sammy .Thanks for posting this .

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 28, 2017 18:37

This man was a treasure. I love his version for Mr. Bojangles in this video:

Sammy Davis Jr. - Mr. Bojangles

Date: June 28, 2017 21:02

Hey, Cristiano Radtke, thanks for the post of Mr. Bojangles by Sammy. I have David Bromberg's live version of this song, where Bromberg talks about the song and how Jerry Jeff Walker came to write it, as part of my permanent mix, but Sammy is a nice addition to the covers of the song. Watching Davis in the video I can see from where the late Michael Jackson copped some of his moves. I even thought Mick J may have copped a move or two from Sammy outside of what he copped from James Brown. Interesting how you can see, out of the blue, these interrelationships between musical artists.

If interested, here's Bromberg doing Bojangles. I love this.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 28, 2017 22:35

Cristiano Radtke
This man was a treasure. I love his version for Mr. Bojangles in this video:

Sammy Davis Jr. - Mr. Bojangles

How can you not love Sammy? And Mr. Bojangles was a real person, you can see him dancing with Shirley Temple on YouTube.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 29, 2017 02:44

Loved Sammy D-- ONE OF THE GREATS--

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 29, 2017 05:04

Wow! That was great! Thanks!

Re: YouTube Post a NEW or FAVORITE video(s)
Date: June 30, 2017 01:15

Babe on drums alert!

Now this is a really catchy tune...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2017 01:22

Never saw this before until yesterday - kind of monotonous at times but interesting in a "fly on the wall" kind of way:

Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 (home movie)

Date: June 30, 2017 06:46

More sheer brilliance!

Keith Richards Open 'G' Tuning Circa 1969

[www.youtube.com]

Satisfaction '69........what is this?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 4, 2017 23:19

Re: Satisfaction '69........what is this?
Date: July 4, 2017 23:22

"Not available"...

Date: July 4, 2017 23:23

Satisfaction live at MSG in 1969. Wasn't this on the Ya-Ya's bonus DVD?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 4, 2017 23:24

Cristiano Radtke

is that where it is from? i never saw the footage of Janis at the show - or that little kid- really interesting

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 4, 2017 23:25

It appears to be the kick ass version of Satisfaction that is used on Gimme Shelter. Que es la pregunta?

Date: July 4, 2017 23:29

hbwriter
Cristiano Radtke

is that where it is from? i never saw the footage of Janis at the show - or that little kid- really interesting

Yep, as well as Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, Under My Thumb and I'm Free.

Date: July 4, 2017 23:41

You've heard of peak oil? Well that was peak Rolling Stones.

Date: July 4, 2017 23:55

Janis Joplin smiling and swinging at 4:35 so it must be good.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 205

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home