Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...170171172173174175176177178179180...LastNext
Current Page: 175 of 205
Re: Fergie - Start Me Up
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2017 20:18

.... Bet Fergie got inta heaps of trouble from her grandmother over this performance ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 6, 2017 14:16

Fergie's band rendition of "start me up" is very mechanical; it is a festival with a huge crowd so the order of the day must have been follow the script, play on the beat and hammer down that @#$%&! It is a hardrock version of Keith Richard's riff, maybe played in regular tuning. No swing, no playing with the beat; the rolling stones feel isn't here. It is different (and I don't like it).
Rockandroll,
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: November 6, 2017 14:21

rollmops
Fergie's band rendition of "start me up" is very mechanical; it is a festival with a huge crowd so the order of the day must have been follow the script, play on the beat and hammer down that @#$%&! It is a hardrock version of Keith Richard's riff, maybe played in regular tuning. No swing, no playing with the beat; the rolling stones feel isn't here. It is different (and I don't like it).
Rockandroll,
Rockandroll,
Mops

Exactly! It's baffling to me that people don't prefer the Stones's feel over merely stiff replication. Then again, some fans think Satriani/Ripp is better than Richards/Wood at playing Stones-tunes, too.

To each his own, though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2017 17:59

DandelionPowderman
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Rockandroll,
Mops

Exactly! It's baffling to me that people don't prefer the Stones's feel over merely stiff replication. Then again, some fans think Satriani/Ripp is better than Richards/Wood at playing Stones-tunes, too.

To each his own, though.

For what it's worth, the Stones lost alot of 'that swing', and 'no playing with the beat' back when Bill left the band. I wouldn't call it quite sterilized now, but with the ace studio expert Darryl holding it down on bass it definitely has a more mechanical feel alot of the time. But we're talking specifically about Start Me Up - a tune which I became bored of back in '81 and don't pay much attention to any Stones live versions, so really shouldn't be comparing. So based on that, and trying to listen to the one minute clip beneath the atrocious vocals , the Fergie band does a decent job here ...I'd say equivalent to current versions by the Stones themselves, but maybe not better (I'll leave that judgement to the Start Me Up experts).

"some fans think Satriani/Ripp is better than Richards/Wood at playing Stones-tunes, too"

There are fans who think this? eye popping smiley

I'm actually surprised there are people who like it at all - let's just say it was one of Mick's 'biggest mistakes' imo.

That being said, there are some fans who prefer Ronnie playing Mick Taylor's original parts in a live setting over Mick Taylor himself, so whose to say what's right or wrong.

Date: November 6, 2017 18:04

I think some fans prefer Ronnie playing his parts. I've never heard someone prefering him to play other people's parts smiling smiley

I also think that you can hear Keith play with the beat here, as opposed to Fergie's band.

I prefer a mediocre SMU with Keith and the Stones, thank you.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 6, 2017 18:28

I think there are some who prefer Ronnie's parts on CYMK and Tumbling Dice (for example) vs. Mick Taylor himself.
If memory serves, several had mentioned that Mick Taylor was practically unnecessary during the 50 and Counting tour, and were more than satisfied hearing Ronnie play the role.

And yeah I forgot to mention the irreplaceable and unique "Keith factor'...whether he's screwing up an opening riff or a solo, or "playing with the beat", there's nothing quite like it.

Edit: Just noticed your clip is from 2003 which of course is superior to Fergie's version (as well as current Stones versions imo).
Keith's guitar chops were a notch above of what they've become now, but again, I'm not a Start Me Up expert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 18:35 by Hairball.

Date: November 6, 2017 19:17

Which Mick Taylor-part on Tumbling Dice?

As far as I know he played bass on the studio version and lots of different stuff on the live versions?

On CYHMK Ronnie pays homage to Taylor with a few licks. Can't recall anyone wanting him to replicate Taylor's parts, let alone preferring his replication..

And there were better SMUs on this tour than this 2003-version, imo.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 6, 2017 19:31

DandelionPowderman

Yes, the version from Lucca and a few others were great. On the other hand the Toronto 03 show is the worst Licks-show I've heard, the energy was just lacking that night. Compared to a typical great SMU from 2003 like this one: [youtu.be] , I don't think any version from 2017 comes close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 19:32 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2017 19:53

rollmops
Rockandroll,
Rockandroll,
Mops

It's Only Rock But No Roll (and I don't like it)

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 6, 2017 19:56

We are getting to the end of page two and still smell fish.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 6, 2017 20:09

I agree with you here Hairball. The Rolling Stones' live versions of SMU can be described as just that - mechanical, poor and lackluster. And even worse - boring.
I have heard a couple of "tribute bands" doing better versions. Or at least "different". The brilliant studio version makes up for all the poor live versions though. That's the one I prefer.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 6, 2017 20:45

Agree Stoneage!!!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 6, 2017 22:15

I like that 1981 take.Kind of loose and swinging. Keith is great.
Rockandroll,
Mops

[youtu.be]

Date: November 7, 2017 01:47

DandelionPowderman
Which Mick Taylor-part on Tumbling Dice?

As far as I know he played bass on the studio version and lots of different stuff on the live versions?

On CYHMK Ronnie pays homage to Taylor with a few licks. Can't recall anyone wanting him to replicate Taylor's parts, let alone preferring his replication.

As for Tumbling Dice, that was an example off the top of my head, and I was referring to the many superior live versions from back in the day where Taylor is prominent on lead. I used to even think he played some of those little licks and slide fills on the studio version, and that may or may not be true (some sources say he plays guitar, while others say bass), but some of the guitar playing itself is not so obvious. As I recall, it was not long ago that you were unaware there was any slide at all on the studio version...maybe those subtle slide parts were actually Taylor? Maybe, maybe not, but kind of hard to tell as it's sort of hidden without any true signature sound.

As for CYHMK, some people want him to replicate Taylor's part, but at the same time none really expect it as I don't think he could replicate it even if he tried. An homage maybe, but that's about it. I could have sworn there were some who favored Ronnie's versions over Taylor's over the years (homage or not), in fact I'm almost positive I've read it in reviews from the Taylor haters! Just like Taylor probably couldn't replicate some of Ronnie's solos - it's simply not his style (not that he would ever want to in the first place). Anyhow, didn't intend to turn this thread into another Taylor vs. Ronnie debate, but there it is.

As for "better" SMU's on this tour than in 2003 I would have to disagree. Due to the fact that Keith's playing has declined quite dramatically since then in some ways, and the fact that they're all about 15 years older and in their mid '70's now, I just don't think it's physically possible for a "better" version anymore - although there are some like yourself who think there are. One man's junk is another mans treasure...

TheBlockbuster
Compared to a typical great SMU from 2003 like this one: [youtu.be] , I don't think any version from 2017 comes close.

Indeed - there's WAY much more energy - not only from Keith but the entire band.

Stoneage
I agree with you here Hairball. The Rolling Stones' live versions of SMU can be described as just that - mechanical, poor and lackluster. And even worse - boring.
I have heard a couple of "tribute bands" doing better versions. Or at least "different". The brilliant studio version makes up for all the poor live versions though. That's the one I prefer.

Even though I'm not a Start Me Up expert lol, that's pretty much my feelings as well - mechanical, poor, lackluster, and for me usually always boring - it's just not one of my favorite Stones tunes and never has been.
As a 17 year old in '81 though, I do have fond memories of the studio version - what a thrill it was to have a new Stones album coupled with a new tour which was the first time I saw the Stones.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 02:02 by Hairball.

Date: November 7, 2017 08:12

I'll let you believe this, Hairball.

Date: November 7, 2017 08:17

I'm still wondering who the fans are who think Satriani/Ripp is better than Richards/Wood at playing Stones-tunes....

Date: November 7, 2017 09:59

Start with the flying dutchman smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 7, 2017 13:17

Doxa, very well said were your comments about Start Me Up.winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:06

Who needs coffee when you can listen to Fergie "sing" that.

That is just awful. Wow.

To correct the balance, of all the versions of Start Me Up I've heard the Stones do, Atlantic City PPV is my fave - and Ronnie's playing on this one is top notch.

[www.youtube.com]

Regarding Tumbling Dice, I do like Ronnie's solo better than anything else. He did great on the VOODOO and BRIDGES tours. Hilariously enough the Oakland 1994 one the horns are flat as hell! The New Jersey show, Ronnie nails the solo.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:32

That’s how a professional drummer who thinks playing like Charlie Watts is easy would play Start Me Up.

Re: YouTube Post a NEW or FAVORITE video(s)
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 20, 2017 19:55

NME concert 1965! With the Fierce Five!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: November 22, 2017 00:49

Scotland fans sing Loch Lomond

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: November 22, 2017 03:32

Somethings up with the Grassroots.....somebody open a window....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2017 05:25

Cool YouTube musician guy does a nice review of the super deluxe TSMR:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2017 05:28

More on TSMR from the same guy: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: November 22, 2017 10:39

I THINK I LOVE YOU... THE PARTRIDGE FAMILYsad smiley

[www.youtube.com]

OT: Peter Gabriel-Sledgehammer live 1988 with Darryl Jones
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 19, 2017 15:17

video: [youtu.be]

Live in Argentina 1988. Great moves all around grinning smiley

Re: OT: Peter Gabriel-Sledgehammer live 1988 with Darryl Jones
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 19, 2017 19:03

Didn’t Peter poach Darryl from Sting after the Conspiracy of Hope tour...I think he used him when Tony Levin was otherwise detained

Darryl is fantastic

OT - Elton John - Bennie & the Jets
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 22, 2017 14:32

I've loved this song for several years, but had never heard a live version.

Then I heard this one from 1980.

Holy smoke!

What a performance! What piano playing! What great blow!

Who out there saw EJ in the 70s/early 80s? Tell us about it please!

Re: OT - Elton John - Bennie & the Jets
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 22, 2017 14:32

here is the link as it didn't show up :

Bennie live

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...170171172173174175176177178179180...LastNext
Current Page: 175 of 205

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home