Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 205
Re: Beacon 2006 Rehearsals
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2017 05:03

A bit interesting but unfortunately it has the horrible 'follow the guitar' mixing that the horrible movie has.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 25, 2017 05:09

GasLightStreet
A bit interesting but unfortunately it has the horrible 'follow the guitar' mixing that the horrible movie has.

I enjoyed the horrible movie. sad smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2017 05:12

Aquamarine
GasLightStreet

I did too. At first.

If the director would've kept his parts out of it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-25 05:12 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 25, 2017 10:52

I havent watched the bonus features in ages and hadnt realised this footage was all included!

Cool stuff though smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 25, 2017 11:13

SAL is one of the best concert movies.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 25, 2017 13:01

I wonder if this rehearsal was the Friday night in October 2006 when the Stones were supposed to play Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City when Mick was told by the Doctor he could not sing because of his throat ? So lets rehearse instead for Martin Scorsese Shine A light movie instead .I did go to the first night at the Beacon which was the Sunday following the stiff in A.C. Long ride to Atlantic City in the rain only to be told when checking into the Hotel on the Boardwalk -sorry fellas No Stones .

Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 25, 2017 14:13

Amazing how much better Keith & Ron play when they aren't goofing off for the audience.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 25, 2017 22:36

GasLightStreet
Aquamarine
GasLightStreet

I did too. At first.

I always thought it could have been better if MS just put a camera in a seat with a wide angle. Just let happen what happens. There was way to much mugging for the shoot

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 26, 2017 00:34

virgil
GasLightStreet
Aquamarine
GasLightStreet

I did too. At first.

I always thought it could have been better if MS just put a camera in a seat with a wide angle. Just let happen what happens. There was way to much mugging for the shoot

Ever since MTV's 5 second rule (no shots longer than 5 seconds without an edit), live music video has suffered from ADD editing and poor camera shots. That's not to say there weren't poorly shot/edited shows in the 60's (Hendrix RAH '69 & Cream's Farewell '68 come to mind), but it became chronic in the 80's and never fully recovered - although I've watched some very decent webcasts that actually at least attempt to show the guitar player, or whomever, when he's soloing without cutting away - but I also realize not everyone wants to stare at a fretboard for minutes on end as well.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: July 26, 2017 03:25

Wow. Good stuff. Wish the film was more that laid back style.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 26, 2017 04:07

That harmonica Wild Horses was pretty sweet.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:22

peoplewitheyes
That harmonica Wild Horses was pretty sweet.

thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 29, 2017 21:18

Just watching this makes me feel emotional, makes me realize why this band carry on, they just love what they do, they are the blues. So natural, so in the moment, every moment, lost in the music forever. You can't outgrow this, its very special, just watching them being what they are together, its pure in essence, they look like they don't even need an audience.

Thanks for the clip Irelandcalling4

YouTube Post a NEW or FAVORITE video(s)
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:48

Mel Torme knew a good song when he heard it and he considered Donald Fagen to be one of America's greatest living composers.
He covered Fagen's "Walk Between Raindrops" on his 1988 album Reunion, and sings that song like it was written just for him to sing...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 05:57 by schillid.

Re: YouTube Post a NEW or FAVORITE video(s)
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 31, 2017 06:21

Nice hat Mick...
[www.youtube.com]

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Sweet Virginia (with The Wood Brothers)
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 11, 2017 20:02

[www.youtube.com]

Great band! Amazing slide solo by Derek Trucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 20:16 by MonkeyMan2000.

Re: Tedeschi Trucks Band - Sweet Virginia (with The Wood Brothers)
Date: August 11, 2017 20:23

MonkeyMan2000
[www.youtube.com]

I saw them a few weeks back.. Yes great show and they did Sweet Virgina.

Derek Trucks is great and fun to watch.

Just seemed to me there should have been MORE TRUCKS and less Tedeschi.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 11, 2017 22:01

jumpontopofmebaby
MonkeyMan2000
[www.youtube.com]

Sounds like you should have gone to see the Derek Trucks Band as opposed to the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Except, even then you may have come away disappointed as the Derek Trucks Band could be quite the different beast than the TTB is at this point.

I think I'm actually in much the same boat as you are... If there were Trucks solos between every verse and chorus as well as in the intros and outros, I might be able to get my fill. However, I'm not sure that would lead to a musically satisfying night for the rest of the audience and band.

From my point of view, if there is one thing about Derek that I like more than his playing, it's his apparent lack of ego. Or his ability to hide his ego hidden if he does have one. From where I sit, it doesn't seem to matter to him that his name is part of the band name or that he's the most talented musician on stage. Sure I'd like to hear him play more. But when someone THAT talented chooses to be "a band member" who's sole goal is to serve the song more than serving himself, I've got to accept his judgment and be glad that I'm fortunate enough to hear him play.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 11, 2017 22:13

mr_dja
jumpontopofmebaby
MonkeyMan2000
[www.youtube.com]

Sounds like you should have gone to see the Derek Trucks Band as opposed to the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Except, even then you may have come away disappointed as the Derek Trucks Band could be quite the different beast than the TTB is at this point.

I think I'm actually in much the same boat as you are... If there were Trucks solos between every verse and chorus as well as in the intros and outros, I might be able to get my fill. However, I'm not sure that would lead to a musically satisfying night for the rest of the audience and band.

From my point of view, if there is one thing about Derek that I like more than his playing, it's his apparent lack of ego. Or his ability to hide his ego hidden if he does have one. From where I sit, it doesn't seem to matter to him that his name is part of the band name or that he's the most talented musician on stage. Sure I'd like to hear him play more. But when someone THAT talented chooses to be "a band member" who's sole goal is to serve the song more than serving himself, I've got to accept his judgment and be glad that I'm fortunate enough to hear him play.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Agree no ego. In fact I see him as being very shy.

When he did let loose he could flat play.

I was very surprised at the turn out. He / they have a very nice following

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 11, 2017 22:26

Just saw them at Red Rocks a couple weeks ago.
Susan definitely put the Tedeschi in the TTB. Her guitar playing has improved every year significantly since her and Derek hooked up. She stole the show from every guitar player up on stage that night, including Derek, Wood Bros and Hot Tuna players. Great rendition of Sweet Virginia, but the night belonged to Susan.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 11, 2017 22:57

imo Derek is the best guitarist in the world right now; and has been.
Derek has all this dominoes in a row at any given moment. sulbime cat. the best.

Date: August 11, 2017 23:04

MisterDDDD
Just saw them at Red Rocks a couple weeks ago.
Susan definitely put the Tedeschi in the TTB. Her guitar playing has improved every year significantly since her and Derek hooked up. She stole the show from every guitar player up on stage that night, including Derek, Wood Bros and Hot Tuna players. Great rendition of Sweet Virginia, but the night belonged to Susan.

I've always liked Susan. Only a small part of me is surprised to hear that she stole the show from all the other guitarists. And that part is surprised not necessarily because of her lack of abilities, but because of Derek's abundance of them. Considering the fact that she opened multiple shows for the Stones back in 2003 without Derek, apparently they have a decent opinion of her abilities as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 11, 2017 23:17

hopkins
Derek has all this dominoes in a row at any given moment. sulbime cat. the best.

The only changes I would make to the above would be to add "possibly" before each occurrence of "the best". As a buddy of mine used to say: "He may not be in a class by himself, but I can assure you it doesn't take long to call the role."

The one person who pops into my mind that would keep Trucks out of the "teacher's pet" spot might be Sonny Landreth. I'd have to seriously consider other options before I'd put anyone else of a similar genre up above them. As I brainstorm, I'm getting more and more "No's" and, thus far, the only one maybe might be Brian Setzer. I'm thinking he'd be a classmate though as opposed to valedictorian.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 12, 2017 04:48

Very nice. Wouldn't you want to hear the Stones flowing like this on this song and others? I sure as he*l would.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 12, 2017 06:00

No!

NOT very nice!

I have seen Wood Bros. live, and SORRY, they were SO BAD until my wife and I walked out about 1/2 way thru.

THEY WERE HORRIBLE.

After 40 years of shows, I get it, but not these folks.

GREAT MUSICIANS!

NO VOCALS!

Peace to all!!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 12, 2017 09:19

the interaction with B. B. King worths it
Rock me baby, Live at the Royal Albert Hall
video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: August 12, 2017 17:58

mr_dja
hopkins

The only changes I would make to the above would be to add "possibly" before each occurrence of "the best". As a buddy of mine used to say: "He may not be in a class by himself, but I can assure you it doesn't take long to call the role."

The one person who pops into my mind that would keep Trucks out of the "teacher's pet" spot might be Sonny Landreth. I'd have to seriously consider other options before I'd put anyone else of a similar genre up above them. As I brainstorm, I'm getting more and more "No's" and, thus far, the only one maybe might be Brian Setzer. I'm thinking he'd be a classmate though as opposed to valedictorian.

Peace,
Mr DJA[/quote

Yeah Sonny. Good call!!! That guy is awesome and I mostly never use the A word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 14:10 by hopkins.

Date: August 12, 2017 18:07

Sonny Landreth Plays Solo Song Backstage
[www.youtube.com]

Sonny Landreth - Hard Blues
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 14:13 by hopkins.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 17, 2017 09:49

I watched "3000 miles to Graceland" in THE KING's honor tonight

3000 miles to Graceland - A little less conversation - homage

[www.youtube.com]

and another
Such a night - 3000 miles to Graceland - Snake Plissken on stage

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-17 10:03 by HankM.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 18, 2017 05:56

Son House: Preachin’ the Blues (1977)

“In May 1975, an article about the documentary called ‘Son House on film’ appeared in an issue of a blues quarterly called ‘Whiskey, Women and…’. The article said that interviews had been done with “John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry, Buddy Guy, Brownie McGhee, Junior Wells, Willie Dixon, and Dick Waterman.” More interviews were planned “with such blues notables as Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf and Johnny Shines,” and furthermore “Arrangements are also being made for B.B. King to do the film’s narration track.” a photograph showed a young man sitting with Son and Evie on the steps of 61 Grieg Street with the caption saying it was the “Director Louis Villalon.” Mix had brought Villalon in the intervening year. Mix’s documentary was suspended after the Toronto festival for lack of money. Mix gave some of his footage to another young Rochester resident named Mark Brady. Brady transferred some of the 16mm footage to the cheaper video format and added some sequences on Grieg Street and Genesee Street. He subsequently made a 30-minute black and white video documentary about House that aired on the local public television affiliate in 1978, and then – rather like its subject – disappeared from view from almost twenty years.”
- Daniel Beaumont, Preachin’ The Blues: The Life & Times of Son House, 2011

Preachin' the Blues aka Son House On Film, 1977 (part 1)

Preachin' the Blues aka Son House On Film, 1977 (part 2)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 205

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home