Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - When did the "hippie, peace and love" movement really end?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 6, 2008 17:46

Reading a post in the Altamont thread from Gazza and Elmo had me thinking, when did all this really end?

A lot of people want to attach the symbolic ending to the Stones show in December of 1969 but did it really end there? What about in 1970, 1971, or even 1972? Did it continue in England or Australia? Was it strictly an American thing?

Here is a definition I found, do you agree with this as well?

The hippy movement was not as much about having long hair, as it was about the attitude, and not trusting the government. It was during the Vietnam War, when mostly poor American men were being drafted and sent to fight a war, based on a lie. At the time, many of them were coming home in boxes. Being a hippy meant questioning authority, and it's power. It was about peace, and not wanting to hurt others. The long hair was out of rebellion. It was used to send a statement that you won't be told how to look, or live. There are still millions of us whom are hippies, only without our long hair.

Besides the peace movement, being a hippie was also about rejecting middle-class materialism and the whole military-industrial complex in favor of a more spiritual, more environmentally conscious approach. Sometimes hippies signaled that rejection of middle America's money-grubbing ways by not bathing for weeks on end, or using illegal drugs, especially marijuana. And yes, some of those same people are the most conservative, driven capitalists now.

It was a peaceful moment in history when alot of people felt the need to come together with thoughts, ideas, and emotions. It was particularly in the music where the beauty of it all joined together millions of people who needed to free themselves from the everyday repetition that seemed to be misdirected. Hippies looked closely at life tried to enjoy the moment.

Re: OT - When did the "hippie, peace and love" movement really end?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 6, 2008 17:52

i didn't know it ended. i'll have to tell me 21-year-old daughter who's down at UCSB at this moment in her flowers and tye-dye protesting something....she'll be heart-broken...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:12

it was far from always peaceful, particularly in the late 60s and early 70s, as peaceful tactics had done nothing to stop the war in Vietnam, and advocates for peace such as King had been assassinated.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:17

Overall I think it ended where it began in San Francisco sometime soon after the summer of love when the hippies turned into nothing more than a bunch of whacked out scumbags panhandling for their next hit. Let's face it, it's mostly about drugs and escaping reality (freeing your mind). All the bull about revolution and coming together as one society is a bunch of crap if you ask me.

For others I think it still continues today with people dabbling in the hippy lifestyle trying to recapture that brief moment in time until they realize it's nothing but a waste of money and time not to mention brain cells. Some never realize it and end up with eyes like "black holes in the sky". I've seen it happen right before my eyes way too many times and all that's left is a corpse or a pile of ashes.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:22

ABC, 20 years ago, ran a great show called "Our World" hosted by Linda Ellerbe and Ray Dandalf. In each episode they took a certain year in history and depicted what all happened then and what life was like. One year they did 1972, and pointed out how several specific activist events were cancelled and movements of all sorts kind of ran out of gas in that year. They posited that 1972 was "perhaps the year that the '60s ended". I think that's valid.

Tommy

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:43

"middle America's money-grubbing ways"

Those who believe this are ignorant fools.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:51

I was a part of it although I and all of my friends detested the word "hippie". Having gone to "love-ins" and communes and all that, I can say, from my perspective, it was full of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. There was very little about the whole thing that was peaceful. It was funbut very indulgent. Yeah, we kind of rejected the materialism of our parents, but we loved a good meal and liked having money in our pockets. It was idealistic and flawed from the beginning and deteriorated from there.

People like to look back and romanticize about that era, but it was pretty ugly and full of scammers and hustlers and liars.

Sorry to sound so stark about it but that is what I observed first-hand.

Date: December 6, 2008 18:59

i can see the hippie spirit is alive and well on this cool thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-06 19:02 by T&A.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 6, 2008 19:00

By 74-75(at least in my part of the US) hippies became "freaks" but one thing I blame for the downfall of the ideology was crystal meth which started taking over in mid to late 70s. It totally screwed up peoples thinking(and I'm not saying my hands were clean either). And we're talking about the real stuff here,people- not the "Nazi lab"cold medicine crap that you hear about.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 6, 2008 19:09

Personally Altamont has nothing to do with the end of anything except it was the last of that US tour.

To me the hippie thing died as soon as it started - it's just people were so whacked out in being cool and sounding cool that as soon as they sobered up they realised how stupid they and it all sounded. Just because people were loaded and full of love that they felt within themselves does not mean the rest of the world was. As with any other generational thing (with possible exception to that Generation X crap - that's just the DUMBEST thing ever), it was just one more bad illusion. I can see it being used as a roundabout way of being a description for lazy, if one looks at it that way. "Love ins"? They obviously had way too much time, probably because they weren't actually doing anything.

And today's type of hippie? Just annoying and to me someone that is directionless. If the whole hippie thing was peace love and whatnot and being against the government then someone forgot to tell them to stay home and build wind farms etc...get off the grid. THAT is how you defy the government, not by dressing up and saying Hey mannnn and getting high. Etc...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 6, 2008 19:14

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: December 6, 2008 19:20

It is alive everytime I twist one up and put on some tunes from the times. Groovy and Bitchin!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:02

August 9, 1974
the day Nixon resigned

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:06

The Diggers arranged the symbolic "Death Of Hippie" event in 1967 itself (you can see clips of it in the movie 'Psych-Out')as they felt the movement had been sold out or commodified by the Man.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:25

<<i didn't know it ended. i'll have to tell me 21-year-old daughter who's down at UCSB at this moment in her flowers and tye-dye protesting something....she'll be heart-broken...>>

The University of California, Surfing Branch. Go Gauchos! :-) Way back when I walked around the rumble of a B of A in Isla Vista. It was absolutely crazy.

When did it end? To the extent that it did and "hippie" became a derisive term and if I had to pick a date, I'd say January 20, 1981. But I blame a lot of things on that date.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:37

A verry good question,during the period 66-69 there was a lot of flower power, but times was changing fast and I will say that it was all over after Isle Of Weight festival 1970.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:45

From documentaries Ive seen, they say it was after the summer of love in 67 that San Francisco's Haight Ashbury Dist which was a "Hippie-Center", went from being about peace and love to being more about drugs and violence. The scene there really changed. So I guess that was late 67-early 68.

also I think the assasination of Robert Kennedy and MLK was a big turning point. I'd say it had already ended before Altamont.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-06 20:48 by ryanpow.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:53

Date: December 6, 2008 21:02

ryanpow
From documentaries Ive seen, they say it was after the summer of love in 67 that San Francisco's Haight Ashbury Dist which was a "Hippie-Center", went from being about peace and love to being more about drugs and violence. The scene there really changed. So I guess that was late 67-early 68.
Yes Haight Asbury and the nearby Golden Gate Park was the the hippie center during summer of love 67 and they are still selling it. I was there last week and people around are still talking about all the big stars Like Jefferson Airpland (they had a house on the corner of the parkFulton Street/Willard Street). Janis Joplin (lived there in Lyon Street) Jimi Hendrix Played one time in the park and was inspirated to write Red House. The area is nice to see, but stay off the upper end of Haight when day change to night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-06 21:03 by stein.

Date: December 6, 2008 21:10

stein
ryanpow
Yes Haight Asbury and the nearby Golden Gate Park was the the hippie center during summer of love 67 and they are still selling it. I was there last week and people around are still talking about all the big stars Like Jefferson Airpland (they had a house on the corner of the parkFulton Street/Willard Street). Janis Joplin (lived there in Lyon Street) Jimi Hendrix Played one time in the park and was inspirated to write Red House. The area is nice to see, but stay off the upper end of Haight when day change to night.

Yeah, Ive been there. the reality is there's nothing hippy about anymore. you go into a second hand store and a jacket costs $80.

Date: December 6, 2008 21:12

ryanpow
stein
ryanpow

Yeah, Ive been there. the reality is there's nothing hippy about anymore. you go into a second hand store and a jacket costs $80.

have you tried the 3rd-hand ones yet?

Date: December 6, 2008 21:12

I wanna know where the Fifth Hand stores are. Thats more in my price range.

Date: December 6, 2008 21:15

still love the neighborhood - lived there for a few years in the 80's...get down there every so often now - and my daughter loves shopping there - there actually are some great second-hand places still and some fab eateries....and of course THE best record store on the planet.....

Date: December 6, 2008 21:22

T&A
s...and of course THE best record store on the planet.....

Oh yes of course. It is it worth going out there... good times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-06 21:25 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2008 21:28

Don't know about the end,but some ugly moments to me in this era were:

1. The ending to Easy Rider.
2. "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf - always gave me a queasy feeling
3. Overdoses by Janis and Jimi (and,of course, Brian's death)
4. Vietnam, race riots, and Nixon in general
5. My 7th grade teacher was a bitch.

Date: December 6, 2008 21:32

Elmo Lewis
5. My 7th grade teacher was a bitch.

an oft-overlooked and under-appreciated theory regarding the end of the era.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 6, 2008 21:54

Sexy Sadie by The Beatles.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2008 22:24

1968 ....Things just weren't the same after VW ended production of the T1 Combi Van .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 6, 2008 22:25

So back to the question.
The hippie period ended 1970 but, the movement are still rolling as I can see it.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: December 6, 2008 22:40

ALTAMONT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home