Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: O.T - At Last!!! The Specials reunite
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 15, 2009 16:42

odean73
Nearly fighting fit and feel a lot better compared to last monday.

coming home
coming home

the specials are coming home.

Hope we get a few extra songs on thier homecoming.hot smiley

Have a good 'un, mate. Report back, please.

Seeing them in Brixton AGAIN (third time in 10 days) tomorrow. I was only going to do the one gig, but tickets became available for this Tuesday (which was even better than last Thursday), and again for tomorrow. Tuesday's gig was the best gig I've been to in the last ten years.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 15, 2009 17:03

Nikolai
Tuesday's gig was the best gig I've been to in the last ten years.

and i was thinking last thursday was great!

Date: May 17, 2009 11:26

odean73
Cheers Adrian

Should be better than the Brum gig for a better venue and comfort alone and no football results to dwell on.

How was the Coventry gig? Noel Gallagher called it the best gig he'd been to in five years. Apparently loads of people got their wallets and phones nicked.

Went to Brixton again last night. Not quite as good as Tuesday's gig. Neville and Lynval's voices are shot. Terry was in fine form though, gloating over Man U's triumph. There was a fight at the front. He dedicated Stereotypes to the scrappers: "This is about people just like you".

Date: May 17, 2009 12:57

tour of the year!

Date: May 17, 2009 15:22

Adrian-L
tour of the year!

Indeed!

Rumour is that there'll be more UK gigs around Christmas, and that the tour will be extended into 2010, taking in mainland Europe, North and South America, before coming back to the UK for a final swing. There may be a couple of big gigs in Hyde Park and Coventry next summer to close out the reunion. They're also rumoured to be playing Glastonbury this year - coming on before Blur. Should be the other way round in my book, because Damon Albarn nicked his vocal delivery from Terry Hall and Blur sounded a lot like The Specials between their second and fourth albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-17 15:24 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 17, 2009 15:38

Great gig last night. managed to get seats front row centre of balcony. Dont think anyone was sitting in the balcony never mind on the floor. It was real "smile on yer face" kinda gig. The only other times I've seen the Academy heaving as much was the Pixies and The Pogues.

Date: May 17, 2009 15:46

I was upstairs too. Standing at the back - through choice; great view, great sound, plenty of room to skank in - with my wife. She's not a fan, but she had a ball. Great audience too.

Date: May 17, 2009 15:56

I must have passed you on my way to bog at one stage.

Date: May 17, 2009 18:18

Nanker Phlegm

grinning smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 17, 2009 18:24

Nanker Phlegm

I bet that hurt!

Date: May 17, 2009 20:33

Gazza
Nanker Phlegm

I bet that hurt!

it would have had Gazza, but I was well lubed, you gotta be prepared when passing thos rear hall skankers !

Date: May 17, 2009 21:44

Gazza
Nanker Phlegm

I bet that hurt!

Typical ... Bloody Irish and their humour!grinning smiley

I had a good-natured argument with a bloke from Derry at the gig yesterday. He reckoned the Stiff Little Fingers version of It Doesn't Make It Alright was better than The Specials original. Great as SLF were, The Specials version is better to me. Their version of Johnny Was, on the other hand ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-17 21:51 by Nikolai.

Date: May 17, 2009 21:48

Nanker Phlegm
Gazza
Nanker Phlegm

I bet that hurt!

it would have had Gazza, but I was well lubed, you gotta be prepared when passing thos rear hall skankers !

Lubed, were ye?

Speaking of skankers - did you notice how the young-uns didn't know what the f- they were doing when it came to skanking? They were looking at us grown-ups for tips (and still getting it wrong). You know the world's gone wrong when dads dance better than their kids.

Date: May 18, 2009 10:44

pleased you both had a great time.

Date: May 18, 2009 11:44

Adrian-L
pleased you both had a great time.

I am now seriously considering going to the Leeds gig on Sunday ....

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 15:13

What can one say.

Fantastic night at coventry, cracking atmosphere in the local pub by the venue and with the venue being excellent in comfort stakes etc

Meet a few peole off the specials forum which was great company and the concert went so quick and so pleased that i have seen them twice on this tour and priveledged.

I was delighted to see D. byrne earlier in the year and now seeing the specials makes it two out of two brilliant concerts so far this year.

I would definatly consider leeds but unfortunately i will be away and if the news about further concerts turns out to be true, well what fantastic news.

Date: May 18, 2009 16:07

odean73
What can one say.

Fantastic night at coventry, cracking atmosphere in the local pub by the venue and with the venue being excellent in comfort stakes etc

Meet a few peole off the specials forum which was great company and the concert went so quick and so pleased that i have seen them twice on this tour and priveledged.

I was delighted to see D. byrne earlier in the year and now seeing the specials makes it two out of two brilliant concerts so far this year.

I would definatly consider leeds but unfortunately i will be away and if the news about further concerts turns out to be true, well what fantastic news.

I was talking to someone from The Specials camp last Tuesday, and he told me that there are provisional plans for European dates (The Specials have strong fanbases in Scandinavia, Holland, France and Spain), and a US tour in 2010 - possibly as "special guests" (i.e: support) of No Doubt. The band are really happy with how the tour's gone - especially Terry, who's genuinely enjoying himself - and the management are really keen for them to play as many dates as possible now that they're all getting on.

The guy did tell me that they're keen not to go the Madness route and reform every few years, play a few huge gigs and then disappear to spend the money. The reunion has a shelf-life. That said he did add that the band could have a new lease of life if Dammers gets back on board. That way they might legitimately start recording again. But, as a rejoinder, he told me you'd have a better chance of getting all four Beatles together again. Roddy and Dammers still loathe each other. Dammers hates touring (hence his suggestion that the reunion be no more than two big London gigs and one in Coventry), and he's absolutely furious that they've gone ahead without him.

And finally, though you probably know this, Jett Rink on The Specials forum is Roddy himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 16:11 by Nikolai.

Date: May 18, 2009 16:45

Thanks for the info, Nikolai.

Date: May 18, 2009 17:06

thanks Nikolai for the info - some exciting gossip, there.
appreciate it.

more gigs please!

Date: May 18, 2009 17:35

Adrian-L
thanks Nikolai for the info - some exciting gossip, there.
appreciate it.

more gigs please!

Expect some Xmas shows in the UK. That's when the DVD of the tour (the Brixton shows were all filmed) and a documentary about the band will be out. I hope they play Brixton Academy again. The venue suits them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 17:39 by Nikolai.

Date: May 18, 2009 17:54

Nikolai
Expect some Xmas shows in the UK. That's when the DVD of the tour (the Brixton shows were all filmed) and a documentary about the band will be out. I hope they play Brixton Academy again. The venue suits them.

excellent news - and yes, Brixton is perfect for them.

No Arenas, please!
The O2 or Wembley Arena would be beyond horrible.

Date: May 18, 2009 18:28

I hope they come back to coventry ricoh arena again.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2009 18:38

Hope they play over here. I'd love to see them. Terrific band.

Date: May 18, 2009 18:41

Agree with you about The Specials playing the big venues, Adrian. They could easily fill them, but it really wouldn't work for them like it does for The Stones or Springsteen. The Specials were never a stadium band, the music was way too intimate - claustrophobic even.

I think the Xmas tour will be a slimmed down version of this one that's sadly almost over. Glasgow, Manchester, London. Terry in particular is against playing big venues because he was inspired to do this after seeing the reunited Pixies playing Brixton and Patti Smith doing Horses at the Royal Festival Hall.

In other news ...

Now The Selecter are talking about reforming for their 30th anniversary. And The Beat too - that's The Beat with Wakeling, Cox, Steele and Saxa, as well as Roger. I'd be very interested in seeing the latter again. I saw them at the Royal Festival Hall and they were superb. All the lawsuits forgotten ... for just one night.

I knew this would happen.

Date: May 18, 2009 21:25

The definitive Beat lineup? count me in...ditto The Selecter

Long live 2-Tone!

Date: May 18, 2009 21:55

Adrian-L
The definitive Beat lineup? count me in...ditto The Selecter

Long live 2-Tone!

The Selecter are at the drawing board stages. I can see it happening.

The Beat, now that's a bit more complex. There are personal issues every bit as bad as The Specials between the original members. Cox and Steele refused to take part in the one off at the RFH. Dave and Roger don't see eye to eye anymore. And then there's Saxa, who's in his 80s. On top of that, there's A LOT of legal stuff to contend with. Plus Wakeling's got issues with touring the UK.

Date: May 19, 2009 12:38

Count me in for the selector and the beat if it ever happens.

Date: May 19, 2009 17:31

thanks for the updates, Nikolai

Date: May 19, 2009 17:59

Gazza

I dearly hope you get your wish Gazza, fantastic atmosphere etc.

Date: May 19, 2009 22:48

Gazza

"Over here" being Eire, I assume - as opposed to the Slough Locarno? grinning smiley

If it's the former, I think there will be more dates announced in the near future. If it's the latter - there ain't a Locarno in Slough.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home