Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: O.T - At Last!!! The Specials reunite
Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 11, 2008 19:06

"The gigs will mark the first time the Coventry band have officially worked together since 1981" - This isn't strictly true; the same line up played at Bestival in the summer. I was there but somehow managed to miss them!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 12, 2008 10:23

extra shows added:-

[www.nme.com]

The Specials have announced details of more UK tour dates for 2009, after their previously-announced shows sold out this morning (December 11).

The newly-announced gigs will take place at the Glasgow Academy (April 29), Manchester Apollo (May 4), and at the London Brixton Academy (8, 11, 12).

As previously announced on NME.COM, The Specials are reuniting to celebrate their 30th anniversary, although founder member Jerry Dammers is not part of the line-up.

Dammers has since criticised his former Specials bandmates, claiming he was 'driven out' by them.

The band members today (December 11) responded to the keyboardist's statement, saying: "We don't agree with what Jerry has said, but we don't want to talk about it, not least because it is in the hands of our lawyers.

"We are all very excited about the overwhelming support shown to us, and the rush to buy tickets would appear to prove that the fans are looking forward to joining us in these dancehalls across the country next year as much as we are looking forward to playing them."

The Specials will play:

Newcastle Academy (April 22)
Sheffield Academy (23)
Birmingham Academy (25, 26)
Glasgow Academy (28, 29)
Manchester Apollo (May 3, 4)
London Brixton Academy (6, 7, 8, 11, 12)

Date: December 16, 2008 16:09

odean73
I am hearing that the specials might be doing the coventry 'godiva' festival next year, which is a free festival. Dont quote me thou!!!

odeon -they've announced a 'homecoming show'.

[www.nme.com]

The Specials will finish their reunion tour next May with a special gig in their hometown of Coventry.

The band have now been confirmed to play the city's Ricoh Arena on May 15.

As NME.COM previously reported, The Specials are reuniting to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

Including the new Coventry date, they will play gigs across the UK next April and May.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 16:19

Cheers adrian.

Date: December 16, 2008 16:36

you're welcome mate- hope you get tickets

Date: December 17, 2008 10:55

the Coventry show is onsale at 9am today (GMT)

Date: December 17, 2008 15:43

I got my tickets for brum.

If there is any going after xmas, i might be tempted.

Date: February 24, 2009 17:45

The Specials have added a date in Leeds

[www.nme.com]

Date: April 23, 2009 14:42

[www.nme.com]

Terry Hall and co bring out the hits to kick off jaunt

The Specials began their reunion tour last night (April 22) at the Newcastle Academy, playing hits from throughout their career.

Terry Hall and the band kicked off their sold-out show with 'Do The Dog' from 1979's debut album 'Specials', then went on to play classics including 'A Message To You Rudy', 'Hey Little Rich Girl', 'Rat Race' and 1981 UK Number One single 'Ghost Town'.

The band, who were controversially missing original member and songwriter Jerry Dammers, encored with another Number One single, 1980's 'Too Much Too Young', 'Skinhead Moonstomp' and perennial closer 'Enjoy Yourself'.

The band are set to play at the Sheffield Academy then continue their jaunt in Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, their native Coventry and a five-night run at London's Brixton Academy.

The Specials are also confirmed for T In The Park and V festivals, and have strongly hinted they will be performing at Glastonbury.

The Specials played:

'Do The Dog'
'Dawning Of A New Era'
'Gangsters'
'It's Up To You'
'Rat Race'
'Monkey Man'
'Blank Expression'
'Too Hot'
'Doesn't Make It Alright'
'Concrete Jungle'
'Friday Night Saturday Morning'
'Stereotype'
'Man At C&A'
'A Message To You Rudy'
'Do Nothing'
'Hey Little Rich Girl'
'Nite Klub'
'You're Wondering Now'
'Ghost Town'
'Too Much Too Young'
'Skinhead Moonstomp'
'Enjoy Yourself'

Date: April 23, 2009 14:55

Reading some of the reviews from last nights opening concert i am really looking forward to saturdays gig.

If B.ham get promoted the same evening and then go to watch the specials, could be a fantastic night.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: April 23, 2009 14:56

have a great time, odean - i look forward to reading your review

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:01

Hello,

If anyone has a spare for this Saturday at Birmingham then I'd gladly take it off their hands!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:15

SimonN
Hello,

If anyone has a spare for this Saturday at Birmingham then I'd gladly take it off their hands!

Cheers,

Si.

Sinon,

Take a look at the specials forum, there was a couple of sellers for face value.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:28

Hi Odean,

Now why didn't I think of that-I'll give it a go,thanks.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:30

odean73
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Si.

Sinon,

Take a look at the specials forum, there was a couple of sellers for face value.

Sorry for the spelling mistake with your name Simon,

anyway try www.thespecials2.com and keep on looking.

I reckon if you go to the sound bar in Brum saturday afternooon where there is a ska all dayer going on, i reckon you might pick some tickets in there.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:36

Hi Odean,

Thanks for the pointer-I've just read about the Sound Bar and will be stopping by there at some point.
It's been a long wait for this!

Cheers,
Si.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:39

SimonN
Hi Odean,

Thanks for the pointer-I've just read about the Sound Bar and will be stopping by there at some point.
It's been a long wait for this!

Cheers,
Si.

Best of luck, i will be in there late afternoon more than likely wearing a stones t-shirt or cap at least

Date: April 23, 2009 15:45

The Specials Tour Turns Back Time
By Doug Morris
BBC Newcastle

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Legendary ska band The Specials have returned to the stage, 30 years after their first success, kicking off their reunion tour at Newcastle Academy.

For an hour and a half or so, narrow your eyes and forget about the budget and the mortgage, and it could be 1981 again.

A recession in full swing, a nation troubled by binge drinking and fears of knife crime, with The Specials providing an incendiary soundtrack for the youth of the nation.

OK, the youth have grown up a bit, the men have lost a bit of hair and expanded round the midriff. But the generation of '79 had the big night out they've waited so long for, and they weren't going to waste it.

Terry Hall is back on board - but band founder Jerry Dammers is not
They were treated to the first live performance by six of the seven members of the band since that hot, riotous summer of 1981.

Any anxiety about whether the band were up to it was swiftly pushed to one side with the set opener, Do The Dog, which got the punks, mods, rockers and skinheads off their heels and onto the balls of their feet, where they stayed for the next 90 minutes.

The tonic-suited band ripped the years away as they tore up Dawning of a New Era and the single that first crackled out of the John Peel show late at night on Radio 1 - Gangsters.

The intensity of the band was matched by the reaction of the capacity rude boy/girl crowd, word perfect, wrapped in an evening of mutual respect and a wonder of why it's taken so long.

The set missed little from those short, intense years, when The Specials turned the music scene on its head.

While this night was all about having a good time, the cutting social commentary for which they were noted is as valid as ever - from Ghost Town to Concrete Jungle via Doesn't Make It Alright.

The Specials had hits like Ghost Town and Do Nothing from 1979-81
While the advance publicity played up the missing musical genius of Jerry Dammers, on the night there was little worry about who was on the keyboards, no concerns about splits in the original band.

It's easy to make too much of such matters, even though it would obviously be better with him there. His absence might be a problem for making music in the future, but this was a night out and one that so many thought they would never have.

This was the generation who, as riots kicked off to the sound of Ghost Town in 1981, were wondering whether they would get a job and what shape the world was taking.

In 2009, on the night of the budget, when we were told about the worst recession since goodness knows when, they are probably worried about keeping their jobs, wondering whether their children will be able to get one and trying to hang on to the roof over their heads.

The Specials helped to cheer us through it all 30 years ago, so why not now. Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:50

odean73
Best of luck, i will be in there late afternoon more than likely wearing a stones t-shirt or cap at least

Hi Odean,

I'll be in high fashion myself:most likely a manky old 'This Is Drum and Bass' t-shirt.
I'll say hello if I see you!

Hi Adrian,

All the best for Sunday:big cojones you must have!You'll do well.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:51

cheers Si

Date: April 23, 2009 16:48

Adrian-L
have a great time, odean - i look forward to reading your review

Cheers Adrian,

Im so looking forward to this concert and i still have the d.Byrne concert in my mind as well from last month.

Once again good luck for sunday, i reckon i will be in some pain sunday morning after the concert.

Date: April 23, 2009 16:52

You'll have more fun on saturday night, than i will
on sunday morning, thats' for sure.
Still, i'm seeing them 2 weeks today, at Brixton- can't wait

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:15

Adrian-L
You'll have more fun on saturday night, than i will
on sunday morning, thats' for sure.
Still, i'm seeing them 2 weeks today, at Brixton- can't wait

Me too. I'll be there Shame they're not doing I Can't Stand It, but ah ... maybe they will.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:44

Date: April 24, 2009 12:02

odean73
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Si.

Sinon,

Hi simon,

There is a chance i have a spare ticket at face value + booking fee.

Get back to me as soon as you can.

Date: April 24, 2009 12:24

Hi Odean,

Big thanks for helping me out-beers ahoy!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-24 12:36 by SimonN.

Date: April 27, 2009 14:49

Went saturday night.

I must admit i let the football score <B.ham> effect me for the night.

Any way the specials were really good and a great atmosphere was expereinced. The only thing to spoil it was the venue, this was like going back to the eighties dark dingy and so hot it was lie a sauna.

I realised that night im geting too old for gigs like this and i would only go back there for one group only.

Nice to meet up with simon and trust he enjoyed his night.

Date: May 7, 2009 10:44

The Specials cancelled last night's London show (May 6th) eek...
i'm supposed to be going tonight.

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 7, 2009 11:58

I had just picked up my tickets in west end, when I got call saying it was cancelled, managed to get in touch with mate before he left home.

rescheduled for may 16th.

Date: May 7, 2009 12:08

sorry you got cancelled, mate
any news about tonight?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home