Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ed Sullivan stage/Stones pic
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 30, 2008 19:47

Re: Ed Sullivan stage/Stones pic
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 30, 2008 21:41

Cool pic!! I think the song they are doing is "Its All Over Now" if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 30, 2008 23:02

Their playing The Last Time. Brian playing the signature riff, Keith strumming the chords.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: December 1, 2008 00:05

at the end of "the last time," charlie just throws down his sticks and leaves. anybody know why?

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: December 1, 2008 00:34

Date: December 1, 2008 00:40

My bad, His Majesty!! As a matter of fact "All Over Now" was one of the few early hits they didnt play on Sullivan. I believe this is my favorite appearance from the b/w days of ED.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2008 00:46

Well, not Mick's strongest performances, but Keith's solo was cool.thumbs up

- doxa

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 1, 2008 00:57

Brian at his hippest, I believe. 1965 was a great year for the Stones and they were indeed a force to be reckoned with. This was when they were THE ROLLING STONES, and not Mick Jagger prancing around, hogging the spotlight.

Date: December 1, 2008 00:57

I think the main thing to remember is that the Stones(and Beatles and Animals,etc)were at the mercy of the Sullivan show sound engineers and of course there was no such thing as stereo bcast in those days. Everyhing came out of a 5 inch or so single speaker! Even when they went to "pre recorded" backing tracks starting with the 66 Paint It Black show the sound was a real crap shoot! The weird thing to me is the sound on these shows(and the french and Aussie radio bcasts) are superior to "Got Live If You Want It" LP. The EP was better than the album-whats that all about? But thats just my opinion.

Date: December 1, 2008 00:58

I thought Jagger was great; that haircut, lol...incredible that people saw them as threatening; with those big eyes in the camera.
When Keith does the solo it's almost like a tutorial video on 'how to play my solo'. Great. In a way Charlie's part is the same. If you want his beat dissected for "The Last Time" here it is. At 2:40 the kick is booming thru it all too.
Has there ever been a thread about Charlie's right foot?

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:27

Talk about rolling those BIG eyes, hey ?

video: [video.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-01 02:28 by stonesmusicfan.

Posted by: DaisyGrace ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:47

Palace Revolution 2000
I thought Jagger was great; that haircut, lol...incredible that people saw them as threatening; with those big eyes in the camera.

I don't think it's incredible at all that people found them threatening. Get a load of Mick's face through most of the song - he totally has a @#$%& you look most of the time! And Keith and Charlie both go from no expression to sort of mocking laughter.

Plus people were used to bands who all dressed a like and who just stood there and sang/played, and the music itself was outre and loud and scary and unlike anything else they'd ever heard.

Today, sure it seems ridiculous that rock bands/music is threatening, but times have changed.

Great video - thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:53

Keith is out of tune for the last verse, isn't he?...I always thought so.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 1, 2008 08:10

Yeah, seems one of the strings slipped during or right after the solo. He looks non too pleased when he realizes he's out of tune.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 1, 2008 08:52

amazing that the "ladies and gentleman" era is just 7 years from this--

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 1, 2008 08:54

Speaking of ED SULLIVAN sound mixes, anybody know why the Band's last appearance (GIMME SHELTER, LOVE IN VAIN, HONKY TONK WOMEN) in November 1969 has such a horrible sound mix? You can hardly hear Jagger's live vocals half the time - whole thing is just HORRIBLE !! What happened, anyone know the real story???

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2008 12:33

neptune
Brian at his hippest, I believe. .

Yeah, Brian looks and sounds cool, but the cameramen - the director actually - don't really pay attention to him which is a shame. He is probably only few seconds on the screen over-all...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: December 1, 2008 14:07

HelterSkelter
Speaking of ED SULLIVAN sound mixes, anybody know why the Band's last appearance (GIMME SHELTER, LOVE IN VAIN, HONKY TONK WOMEN) in November 1969 has such a horrible sound mix? You can hardly hear Jagger's live vocals half the time - whole thing is just HORRIBLE !! What happened, anyone know the real story???

Sullivan was worried Mick might sing some 'offensive' lyrics, so he had the sound people mix jaggers singing low

Date: December 1, 2008 16:42

HelterSkelter
The Stones were not playing live and didnt even record backing tracks-the album tracks were used. I believe "Love In Vain" had the mandolin break edited out??
You can still hear the mixed down album vocals behind Micks "live" vocal so it nearly sounds doubled tracked to me. Remember it was originally b'cast in MONO,I dont know if that makes a difference in how we hear it now.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 2, 2008 03:10

Doxa
neptune
Brian at his hippest, I believe. .

Yeah, Brian looks and sounds cool, but the cameramen - the director actually - don't really pay attention to him which is a shame. He is probably only few seconds on the screen over-all...

Yes, but the next song that night was Little Red Rooster and the spotlight was all on Brian. It was a great performance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2334
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home