Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Taylor - why did you quit Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 28, 2008 13:13

The concert did start a bit late. Taylor watched the show from the balcony. (He went to the Landmark to get his ticket(s) - but then went further up or in).

I didn't notice the 'confusion' during the show.

Yes, I remember the rumours in the queue, (sp?!) I don't know their source or basis.

No Stones showed for Taylor's gig at the 100 club. Probably rumours about that too.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 28, 2008 16:52

I saw Mick Taylor whilst leaving the venue and he was kind enough to sign my programme:

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 28, 2008 20:55

GET BACK WHERE YOU BELONG!!!

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 28, 2008 22:21

Doc
Didn't they simply skip 1 song because they were supposed to end the show before a certain time ?
I think the concert started somehow later than scheduled and they didn't want to pay a fine.

I remember that the stones were quite in a hurry that night

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 29, 2008 04:36

So why did they play a different song, instead of just dropping one?

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: November 30, 2008 04:10

Let's go on a diet !

[profile.myspace.com]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 30, 2008 07:11

hey its john candy!!!!!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2008 15:46

Keith never let me bust the crust on the Shepherd's Pie.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 30, 2008 21:54

As per ROCK ON WOOD..the Origin of a rock & roll face by Terry Rawlings (Box Tree, 1999, page 172, 173)..incidentally this book is said to have been made with the complete cooperation of Ron Wood, and often quotes Ronnie on a number of things.

"Mick Taylor - a genuinely gentle man- had been with the Stones for a little under four years. He was a gifted guitarist, but had never managed to connect personally with the rest of the group. Nor could he cope very well with the pressures of touring, while Stones fans were becoming divided into two main camps: Stones plus Brian Jones, or Stones plus Mick Taylor in terms of the band's best material. It was bad enough to be haunted by the memory of a dead psychotic- 'Brian was a lovely bunch of blokes' Keith used to say- but even worse to be seen as the vehicle for a lead guitarist who'd come late to the party-especially one who'd discovered heroin, and had never quite learned how to handle his habit, or had gone for a twice-yearly blood change to a discrete little clinic in Switerland. Publicly, Taylor was making noises about wanting to return to playing more classical blues-an excuse similar to that of Jeff Beck's when he'd left the Yardbirds. Privately, he was cracking up and there was nothing anyone could do to help. It takes a very strong type of character to remain even relatively sane as a Rolling Stone. Taylor didn't have it. He wasn't even a real Rolling Stone either, inasmuch as he was still on a wage."

As for Ronnie joining the Stones......

"Ronnie was the obvious replacement for Taylor, if only because Keith was living at the bottom of his garden and, as Ronnie claimed at the time, the two men had become inseparable. Even so, he made a point of adding: 'Despite all the rumours I will not be joining the Rolling Stones-we've never even talked about it. I suppose in another time or era I would join the Stones. Aesthetically, I'd join because my roots and influences are there. But it's like I said-another time, another era. It just couldn't happen while I'm with the Faces, the Stones know that and that's why they wouldn't ask me."

"Actually, they had already."

"Mick sort of sidled up to me at this party,' Ronnie now admits, 'and said, 'What if Mick Taylor left, do you think you'd be interested in, you know, helping out ?'
But I said no, I couldn't do anything to upset the Faces, to make them break up. And Mick's going,'No, no, no, no, I wouldn't want to break up the Faces.' And I'm thinking, '@#$%& right I'd join!"

Of course, we know the rest, don't we ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-30 21:56 by stonesmusicfan.

Date: December 1, 2008 00:58

Taylor left the Stones because he had a hole in his nose from all the coke, he was severely addicted to heroin, he was drinking as much as Keith, he was burned out, he wasn't getting songwriting credits for his contributions (real or imagined) to their songs, he was tired and felt used and ostracized.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:24

It's interesting that the Stones, after Brian Jones' departure, "picked" an artist who was more akin, in musical taste to Brian Jones, than to someone, that, would go for the long haul.

With Mick Taylor on wages, it seems on the surface, that he was just temporary, in someone's mind, anyway.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: December 1, 2008 03:01

>>'Brian was a lovely bunch of blokes' Keith used to say- <<

I thought he said this or something similar to this about Mick. Or am I mistaken?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 1, 2008 03:37

Taylor wasn't on "wages" -- unlike Ronnie he was a full-fledged member from day one.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 1, 2008 05:23

Marmalade
>>'Brian was a lovely bunch of blokes' Keith used to say- <<

I thought he said this or something similar to this about Mick. Or am I mistaken?

you are right , that comment was towards mick not brian

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 29, 2009 17:04

[www.nme.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: October 29, 2009 17:22

I asked Chuck Leavell about it. He said there weren't even plans for a guest-spot that night. Nothing but a rumor. Too bad. The excitement that it generated was proof that a sizable faction of Stones fans would love to see Taylor return, if just once more.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 29, 2009 20:18

In '00 I spoke with Taylor's road manager about Taylor being backstage with the Stones. He told me Ronnie and Keith were very friendly. Charlie was Charlie (still not sure what that means). But that Jagger was "cool" toward Taylor. That was the word he used. I guess Taylor left because I recall him telling me that afterward Ronnie called Taylor and asked why he did not come to the party.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 29, 2009 22:33

What are the six albums he recorded on? What does he mean by that? He's only on five albums, the first one being what, one song or whatever, I can't recall at this moment. Is he including Ya-Ya's?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home