Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and spliced bootlegs
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 21, 2008 01:06

It seems that prior to the 1981 tour, many Stones bootleg recordings have spliced in parts from multiple shows. IMO this totally destroys the essence of the pure boot of the show. Regardless if the missing tracks were filled in from other shows on the same tour, it seems to cheapen and embellish the recording.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or are you satisfied with spliced in tracks?

Re: The Stones and spliced bootlegs
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 21, 2008 02:23

"Pure boot essence"? That comes across as either kinda kinky or thoroughly disgusting. Lighten up, Sicilian.

Seriously, though, the fabled "Brussels '73" boot wouldn't have nearly the same sonic impact without the splicing-in of several Wembley tracks. Notable amongst these are "Gimme Shelter", "Happy" and "Street Fighting Man". The Brussels "SFM", in particular, ended up a brilliant show with a distinct thud, as Taylor got completely lost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-21 02:29 by bassplayer617.

Date: November 21, 2008 04:42

For me, splicing a show steals its authenticity. You can usually hear the cuts, and it misrepresents the show that it is claiming to be a recording of.

I would rather hear a partial show and wish I had the missing parts rather than a piecemeal show. Its just a personal preference.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 21, 2008 06:23

You sound like a Deadhead...
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 21, 2008 14:45

Is it much different than a "best of" album?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 21, 2008 16:35

Lol! That Taylor balls-up is always quite amusing to listen to!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 21, 2008 16:53

I like it....Because it gives you the Best of..The sound and excitment...vERY HARD to be getting into a album and then getting hit by a really poor sound.. Its like a thud..You Know the music was sub par it takes away from the over all effect of a great album. Sometimes you hear fans talking over the song and who really wants to hear that?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 21, 2008 21:40

I don't mind on some things, just good to hear something from certain eras, recording has got a lot better of late but some shows are quite an ordeal to listen to throughout.
Another thing about having a complete show , sometimes there is a piece missing and you are wondering why.
I have several Crossfire Hurricane boots and 1 in particular has almost the whole song missing yet the counter keeps going until the next track but no music comes out, these are supposed to be soundboard origins,
Why bother with a track that you can't hear, all they would have needed to do was cut out that track and put a note on the sleeve saying the track was inaudible.
Another example I have a boot of The Faces Paris Theatre London 1973, somebody sent me the artwork this week, the songs are the same but the order is different, which is right I have no idea I was not there at the time, but it has not stopped me playing it and thoroughly enjoying it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home