Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Your favorite Stones live home video/dvd of the 1989 - 2008 era?
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 18, 2008 02:23

10 Spot is worth mentioning as well.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 18, 2008 17:53

From this writer's perspective, for official releases, Four Flicks is still far and away the best of the official releases for content, quality and packaging. As far as unofficial releases from 1989-to the present, Live in Bangalore from the Licks Tour is one of my fav's....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 18, 2008 18:04

Licks PPV Madison Square Garden
Bridges To Babylon
Atlantic City

I thought Voodoo was pretty bad. And the Max movie is just a bit too much. I have The Biggest Bang but have only watched most of it once - then Gustav came and I haven't been able to find it since. Shine A Light is just above Voodoo for me.

When I saw the Voodoo tour I don't recall the New Jersey show being available yet on video but I have that bootleg Sparks Will Fly from that show and Shattered is the best ever.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2008 18:19

Sleepy City
It's a shame that while we have 4 great DVDs from 1968-1969 (One + One, R&R Circus, In The Park, Gimme Shelter), we have nothing from the 70s! Think of what's available on bootlegs: Marquee '71, Ladies & Gentlemen '72, @#$%& Blues '72, L.A. Forum '75, Paris '76, Knebworth '76, Fort Worth '78...

Would also be great to have more from the Brian Jones era (The Ed Sullivan Shows would be a good start!).

TOTALLY agree.

As for Modern vids, I really like the live Bridges DVD, and feel that a live album with that setlist would have been better than No Security (and would have trumped Live Licks Disc One and Flashpoint has a live 'hits' package.

A close second is the Paris Olympia show from Four Flicks, where as I've said many times, is the most recent time I've ever heard Mick bring out his 'awesome' voice in concert.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2008 18:23

skipstone
Licks PPV Madison Square Garden
Bridges To Babylon
Atlantic City

I thought Voodoo was pretty bad. And the Max movie is just a bit too much. I have The Biggest Bang but have only watched most of it once - then Gustav came and I haven't been able to find it since. Shine A Light is just above Voodoo for me.

When I saw the Voodoo tour I don't recall the New Jersey show being available yet on video but I have that bootleg Sparks Will Fly from that show and Shattered is the best ever.

It was available at the shows themselves from a few weeks after it took place and was (I think) commercially released some time later.

'At The Max' was an utterly pointless release. The IMAX film was a great concept but it simply didnt translate to the limited confines of home video.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 18, 2008 18:25

4 Flicks is the best of couse! From ABB tour - Saitama 2006. It is strange that no one has mentioned it yet. Much better than all the Biggest Bang discs together!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2008 18:28

Hey Gazza!
David Hart had that 1994 VHS, he copied it for John Major and I. We watched it before the Joe Robbie Staduim Pay-per-View was even broadcasted! It blew my mind that an 'official' vid was available so soon into the tour.

That's the one with the hilarious intro skit with the fat, bearded roadie (whos job was to work the smoke machine) wakes up late for work, having tricked a groupie into bed the night before by saying that he was 'Ronnie'!

Ah, memories!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 18, 2008 19:20

steel wheels pay per view from atlantic city 1989,it was called terrifying and was hosted by none other than MTV own kurt loder .

Date: November 18, 2008 20:17

jamesfdouglas
Hey Gazza!
David Hart had that 1994 VHS, he copied it for John Major and I. We watched it before the Joe Robbie Staduim Pay-per-View was even broadcasted! It blew my mind that an 'official' vid was available so soon into the tour.

That's the one with the hilarious intro skit with the fat, bearded roadie (whos job was to work the smoke machine) wakes up late for work, having tricked a groupie into bed the night before by saying that he was 'Ronnie'!

Ah, memories!

Thats the one.

John Major?? WTF?

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 18, 2008 21:09

Four Flicks is my favorite Stones release of any kind, dvd or album, in that time.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 18, 2008 21:12

I think that would be Four Flicks. The others are beautiful, but they don't really picture what it's like being AT a Stones show. The experience is best cuaght in Four Flicks. Camerawork is lousy, but the atmosphere is there!

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Date: November 18, 2008 22:49

I saw the Voodoo tour first in East Lansing, MI. I don't recall the brochure having the video but I do recall the New Orleans show the brochure had it then. I meant to order it but never got around to it. I'd hoped they put it out on DVD but they don't seem interested in preserving their own shows it seems. Just the new stuff (Babylon and on). I'd love to get the Voodoo show (PPV) on DVD but it never seems to be available without paying out the ass for it. That show was OK - I thought the first two or three tunes were excellent, especially Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 04:47

I'm with Carlostones10 on this.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: November 19, 2008 05:07

None
everything's shit since 1989 , except Licks , which is good.
Since 1989 , it's not RS anymore.
It could better be called " The Jagger & Co. RS Classics Circus".
Since 1997 , Keef can barely play more than 4 notes in a solo !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-19 05:08 by mexicostone.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 19, 2008 08:40

The Voodoo VHS left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The quality of the video was just horrible. The colors were dead and the video quality was shotty. The sound was meh. I still need to get the Oakland proshot to get myself to warm up to the VL tour. All I have is that awful VHS copy.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 19, 2008 10:23

Taking profit of this topic, I'm just asking again, year after year about the 1995 Brixton Academy show.
There is a pro-shot video of the complete show but I never found it anywhere, despite the fact that I saw it, probably as some other people here, art the 1999 Stones convention in Brixton.

HAs anyone any additional info ?

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 19, 2008 11:36

Watching the old live clips on 25x5 and Video Rewind inspired me to start hunting down the old bootleg concert films. 25x5 should probably have a DVD rerelease and Video Rewind should be updated with a slew of more recent promo vids and live clips.

Date: November 19, 2008 17:42

The Rolling Stones can't be bothered to care about preserving anything. To me it seems the most involvement they've had in any of their video releases has been Flicks and Bang. Other than that it always seems like a pass off: here company X, take the PPV and give it a cover. How come the whole show isn't on the Babylon disc? Give me the option of skipping something. U2 left off one song from their ZOO TV disc. I just have never been able to figure out why. That kind of thing is just irritating - some of us can't get to the shows so why they wanna screw us types out of what happened?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 19, 2008 17:50

If they have been so involved in Flicks and Bang,why did they kick out
some tracks of the shows included ?Or was that the reason they did so ?

For example I never understood why Gimme Shelter of the MSG 03 show included
on Flicks isnĀ“t on the DVD.

It is a very good version and a shame they took the one from Twickenham.
But as usual simply a matter of taste.

Date: November 19, 2008 18:34

shortfatfanny
If they have been so involved in Flicks and Bang,why did they kick out
some tracks of the shows included ?Or was that the reason they did so ?

to minimise the amount of repetition over the 3 concert discs.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 19, 2008 18:54

Agree,but because of that they ended up on Four Flicks with
3x Brown Sugar,Jumping Jack Flash and Honky Tonk ?

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: November 19, 2008 21:51

The great performances of Worried about you and Thats How Strong My Love Is on the club disc of 4 flicks puts it far above anything else for me, but there is some great stuff on SAL as well.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 20, 2008 04:52

I also saw the Brixton 95 show at the Stones Convention.

As I was talking to the late good Nikki Sudden in front of the screen Ican only remember parts of it.
But it seemed to be in a somewhat lesser quality than f.I. Paradiso.

Some people seem to have it in their collection but myself I haven't seen it since 99 as well.

They were in good shape on those 95 club dates!
An extended Stripped from all 3 cities would be fine!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 20, 2008 05:01

And I have to say that Biggest Bang to me is much better than many here see it!

I really like Austin, parts of Rio and the wonderful B. Aires footage!
Max was fantastic on the huge screen but unfortunately only there.

Plus as I said I like the Stripped stuff.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 20, 2008 13:53

I guess the flipside is - when the band becomes deeply involved in track selection for a live DVD, they may not want duff tracks to be released....even tho fans just want to see a complete live show. Yes very annoying!

Stones are not that well served in terms of DVDs imo. Not sure what the reason/problem for not releasing anything from the 70s is.

Date: November 20, 2008 14:14

shortfatfanny
Agree,but because of that they ended up on Four Flicks with
3x Brown Sugar,Jumping Jack Flash and Honky Tonk ?

theres probably several more songs which would have appeared on all 3 discs had they not been edited out, though.

the concept simply didnt work so good on Biggest Bang because that tour didnt have the different show formats that Licks had. At least on the Austin show, they went some way to rectifying that with the DVD in mind by performing a few unique or rare songs. Its not a 'typical' ABB show, though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2008 14:20

Anyone know if the whole of Hyde Park exists on video?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2008 20:33

Silver Dagger
Anyone know if the whole of Hyde Park exists on video?

8 tracks on the "old" version - and they added 3 more for the DVD released last year - some of the songs incomplete
Nothing else circulating. The new DVD is highly recommended though....at least for us Europeans; it's not playable for the Americans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 20:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: November 20, 2008 23:15

1- Shine A Light
2- Fourty Flicks
3- Florida 1994
4 - A Biggest Bang
5- Live at the MAX

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 21, 2008 01:22

Hard for me to decide, St Louis was the show that really got me hooked into the Stones. Killer versions of Satisfaction, LSTNT, Out Of Control, Tumbling Dice, LARS, Gimme Shelter, JJF and Brown Sugar. Bridges was the last tour where Mick and Keith still looked edgy.
Four Flicks is the must have set. Can't Turn You Loose and That's How Strong My Love Is are Micks most emotional performances i've seen since '81. Also Worried About You, Dance, Love Train, Star Star, Street Fighting Man, Don't Stop and Beast Of Burden I could watch every day and never get bored.
Biggest Bang I'm not keen on. Some fantastic stuff, Learning The Game, Mr Pitiful and Get Off My Cloud. Nothing else springs to mind on it, apart from Keith laughing at Mick singing As Tears Go by in Italian!
Live At The Max. Average. Hate the mix. Crowd reactions are wild, I would have loved to be there when they opened with Start Me Up in 1990.
Shine A Light i'm not overly keen on either. I can't get enough of the intervieew footage and She Was Hot gives me chills every time, they can still do brilliant rock and roll.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home