Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: THE WHO Kilburn´77/London´69 DVD
Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: November 23, 2008 14:39

Maybe Pete will get around to making deluxe editons of By Numbers, Quadrophenia and Who Are You. I think those are the only Moon studio albums that haven't gotten the treatment yet. If Who Sell Out gets the treatment like you said.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 23, 2008 15:04

This DVD ought to have a sticker on it saying, "For Who fanatics/completists only".

Even without the cock-ups, Townshend appears to be faking it, going completely over the top by "performing" before the film cameras like some kind of theme park sea lion with a series of contrived antics and endless jumping around, until he ends up complaining about having nothing worthwhile to put on film.

It's the Who imitating the Who.

As for the bonus gig from 1969, only historians/archivists could find it even mildly entertaining, which is sadly all this DVD amounts to; a piece of history.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 23, 2008 16:59

Wouldn't it be nice to get some of those Stones concerts, that have been kicking around on bootlegs ?

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: November 23, 2008 17:11

baxlap
My suspicion is that they just winged this show. Just goes to show: every band needs to rehearse!

another example - Live Aid Wembley 13/7 1985!!!

Big T

Posted by: woody ()
Date: November 23, 2008 17:31

Hi No to the poster, i only have dvds and cds

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 23, 2008 17:42

LOGIE
This DVD ought to have a sticker on it saying, "For Who fanatics/completists only".

Even without the cock-ups, Townshend appears to be faking it, going completely over the top by "performing" before the film cameras like some kind of theme park sea lion with a series of contrived antics and endless jumping around, until he ends up complaining about having nothing worthwhile to put on film.

As for the bonus gig from 1969, only historians/archivists could find it even mildly entertaining, which is sadly all this DVD amounts to; a piece of history.

.....perhaps you haven't seen Shine A Light...the movie.....

PS...check local PBS listings nationally....some have run the DVD during their pledge drives last month.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-23 17:44 by Rip This.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 23, 2008 22:41

Over thirty years later...

People are still asking:
"Who Kill burn 1977?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-23 22:42 by schillid.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 03:36

My Generation shows the raw power that The Who can produce. amazing !!!

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 25, 2008 05:02

I think its good that they left the audio intact for the Coliseum show even when video footage was missing. This makes it light years better than the IOW show. Plus the performace in general at the Coliseum is incredible and shows why the Who in their prime were the greatest live band.
As for Kilburn it has its moments of greatness. Its nice to see the band in sort of an off moment. I admit some of Keith Moons drumming looks extremely labored, as if he's trying his best to drum like he did two years before. Thats painful to watch. Pete is his ever charming self, like when he gets pissed at something and throws things all over the stage. Roger and John are just Roger and John. Roger seems to be the only one taking the thing seriously, which isnt hard to believe if you listen to John who said that him, Pete and Keith were all drunk at the show.
Either way as a Who fan, kudos to them for giving us this. I feel it does alot for a band to have the guts to show us there best moments (Coliseum 69) and at times worst (Kilburn 77). I only wish the Beatles would do the same with Let it Be.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 25, 2008 05:41

Dark Horse 77
Maybe Pete will get around to making deluxe editons of By Numbers, Quadrophenia and Who Are You. I think those are the only Moon studio albums that haven't gotten the treatment yet. If Who Sell Out gets the treatment like you said.

WHO ARE YOU was already re-released with bonus tracks several years ago.
"New Song" some fine Keith drum work,perhaps his best IMO.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 25, 2008 06:42

trainarollin
Dark Horse 77

I'm not a fan of Moon's work on the Who Are You album. He sounds more like a standard time keeper and shows little of what his reputation is based on. Prior to Who Are You, he hardly ever used a high-hat. On that album, he used it as a crutch. It's easily his weakest Who album.

Date: November 25, 2008 13:44

Yes I know, I have the one with extra tracks. What I mentioned was a deluxe edition, which several Who albums have already gotten. The more the better.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: November 25, 2008 17:39

A highlight at the Kilburn-gig is the early version of Who Are You

Big T

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 25, 2008 18:21

Just watched the 69 London disc. Jesus christ what power! Was thinking if we had bands like this today maybe it would just be too much. Our heads would explode!

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 25, 2008 18:36

Amazing Journey/Sparks on the London disc is probably the best version ever. Better than Leeds, Woodstock, Tanglewood and any other version I´ve ever heard. Absolutely incredible.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 25, 2008 20:30

trainarollin
Dark Horse 77

Who By Numbers has actually been prepared for a deluxe release. It was due out this year, but was pulled. It was rumoured to include a full band Blue Red & Grey and a couple of recently discovered outtakes. The bonus disc was supposed to have most of the Swansea gig on it.

Quadrophenia is due a 4 disc (three CDS -album proper on two discs, outtakes and alternate mixes on the third disc and a DVD as the fourth) reissue at some point.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2008 23:03

Tornandfrayed
Amazing Journey/Sparks on the London disc is probably the best version ever. Better than Leeds, Woodstock, Tanglewood and any other version I´ve ever heard. Absolutely incredible.

If you haven't heard it check out the version from Amsterdam 69. This gig just about rivals Leeds for intensity.

Date: November 26, 2008 00:11

Where are you getting the info on the Who deluxe issues?

Date: November 26, 2008 19:06

Nikolai
trainarollin
Dark Horse 77

Who By Numbers has actually been prepared for a deluxe release. It was due out this year, but was pulled. It was rumoured to include a full band Blue Red & Grey and a couple of recently discovered outtakes. The bonus disc was supposed to have most of the Swansea gig on it.

Quadrophenia is due a 4 disc (three CDS -album proper on two discs, outtakes and alternate mixes on the third disc and a DVD as the fourth) reissue at some point.

Sorry to disappoint everyone but a friend of mine has put together the Who Sell Out double CD which will be released next March. He is in the Who inner sanctum and says there are no plans to bring out a multidisc version of Quadrophenia or Who By Numbers.
The only project that might come to fruition is a double CD version of Odd And Sods which would add hard to find B-sides and other rare tracks but nothing that hasn't surfaced on boots before.
For those that are interested the Who Sell Out will be in stereo and mono versions plus all the extra tracks from the existing expanded edition and four other songs. These include a second totally unreleased version of Rael, an unreleased version of Summertime Blues, and Glittering Girl with Daltry singing, not Pete.

Date: November 26, 2008 19:42

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
trainarollin
Dark Horse 77

Sorry to disappoint everyone but a friend of mine has put together the Who Sell Out double CD which will be released next March. He is in the Who inner sanctum and says there are no plans to bring out a multidisc version of Quadrophenia or Who By Numbers.
The only project that might come to fruition is a double CD version of Odd And Sods which would add hard to find B-sides and other rare tracks but nothing that hasn't surfaced on boots before.
For those that are interested the Who Sell Out will be in stereo and mono versions plus all the extra tracks from the existing expanded edition and four other songs. These include a second totally unreleased version of Rael, an unreleased version of Summertime Blues, and Glittering Girl with Daltry singing, not Pete.

Thanks for the info on Who Sell Out. Shame about Quadrophenia and Who By Numbers.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 26, 2008 20:17

Sounds pretty damn good to me....

Summertimes Blues

Date: November 27, 2008 01:50

How come Who By Numbers deluxe isn't coming out? If it never does, it'll be a real shame.

Date: November 27, 2008 09:55

Townshend has said that after the completion of The Who Sell Out double CD edition his priorities no longer lie in The Who's back catalogue.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:17

I have only seen Baba O'reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again from the Kilburn gig and I thought both were terrific. I think the DVD must be worth having just for the Ox's bass playing if nothing else.

Date: November 28, 2008 00:59

That's too bad. Hopefully Pete had already finished up deluxe editons of the other albums and they'll come out eventually.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 28, 2008 01:07

Silver Dagger
Townshend has said that after the completion of The Who Sell Out double CD edition his priorities no longer lie in The Who's back catalogue.

...in which case maybe he can divert them to the Stones'

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 28, 2008 15:58

Silver Dagger

$30 for four unreleased tracks? Talk about a sell out.

Date: November 28, 2008 17:46

Silver Dagger

Yeah. Typical Pete. Says one thing on Monday, contradicts it all by Wednesday, clarifies it by Friday and then, by the following Monday, his mind's changed again. I doubt there's all that much left in the vaults now, surely? Except for a few hundred live recordings.

What I'd really like them to release is the original live album they compiled from the Kenny Jones era tours from 79-81. They played some great gigs then (I saw some blinders in London in 1980 and 1981). They gave it to MCA to release, but MCA wanted something from their farewell tour instead.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 28, 2008 18:16

LOGIE

No,I don´t agree at all with you.

Neither am I Whofanatic nor Whocompletist but think that´s great stuff released
here especially the ´69 show.

Worth getting - definitely !

And if someday something from stones vault is going to be released of same or
similar quality most of us here could break out in tears...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home