Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Around And Around
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 6, 2012 07:32

Around and Around is one of the few covers thats actually better than the original. Chuck's version is merely a demo. I have to agree with author Rothwell in "Long Distance Information": could you imagine a version of Around and Around with Willie Dixon on the bass, Fred Below on the drums, and Lafayette Leake or Johnson on the piano? It would have been one of Chucks most smokin' songs. As it is, the Stones do the song great justice on their second album, with a distinct Chess sound (namely in the echo heard) pouring through. I always thought it was cool how the riff developed in the refrain. Its played a little different when Mick starts to sing the refrain, and than BAM it takes off after a few bars.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 6, 2012 12:25

71Tele
The lyrics say "the joint was rockin'!", not "the joint was full of wheezy stoned hippies".

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 6, 2012 18:08

Wouldn't bet my balls that the LYL version is not overdubbed, but sure it sounds quite the same to the boot version!

C

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:17

liddas
Wouldn't bet my balls that the LYL version is not overdubbed, but sure it sounds quite the same to the boot version!

C

I would be relieved as well as pleased to learn that LYL "Around & Around" was not overdubbed. I think Mathijs once said there were five or six guitars on it. I am merely repeating what he said.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 6, 2012 21:22

71Tele
liddas

C

I would be relieved as well as pleased to learn that LYL "Around & Around" was not overdubbed. I think Mathijs once said there were five or six guitars on it. I am merely repeating what he said.

I don't think there are any overdubs on AaA. Mannish Boy, LRR and especially Cracking Up have plenty of overdubs, but not AaA.

Mathijs

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:07

Mathijs
71Tele
liddas

C

I don't think there are any overdubs on AaA. Mannish Boy, LRR and especially Cracking Up have plenty of overdubs, but not AaA.

Mathijs

Yeah, Crackin' Up has about 46 guitars on it. (I think that's the song Mathijs referenced in a post months ago...)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:30

Mathijs
71Tele
liddas

C

Must have been thinking of Cracking Up. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my foggy memory.
71Tele

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 22:31 by 71Tele.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 30, 2016 21:02

Stumbled across this live version from 1965 NME Poll Winners Award Concert. Live, no overdubs. Also good sets by Them, Animals, Beatles, others.
I like their whole set here. The Last Time seems especially poignant with a world weary delivery that's solemn and perfect.
A&A has always been one of their most exciting performances to me. TAMI, El Mocambo, others mentioned...but this one is also a treasure imo
At 37:32 [www.youtube.com]
Hope you take the ride. I hadn't seen this footage before. It brings the heat, they're into it.

(Their entire mini set starts at 34:45
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Pain In My Heart
Around & Around
The Last Time

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-31 02:05 by hopkins.

Around and Around 1965 great quality clip
Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: May 15, 2023 14:34

video: [twitter.com]

Re: Around and Around 1965 great quality clip
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 15, 2023 16:05

Awesome! smileys with beer

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 15, 2023 16:14

Great!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 15, 2023 16:20

Very nice indeed!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 15, 2023 18:12

Fan-bloody-tastic!!

Rod

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 15, 2023 18:23

The inspiration for a million garage bands everywhere. God bless 'em.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 15, 2023 18:38

The greatest RocknRoll Band back then and now!
Thx

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 15, 2023 19:28

Wow !! thats fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 15, 2023 21:48

That was really sweet! You could see the explosiveness bubbling under there. Another few years and their stage presence would be perfected.

Date: May 15, 2023 22:25

Great footage and band. Great to hear Brian play like this. thumbs up

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 15, 2023 22:50

Wow!smiling smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 15, 2023 23:03

that's from munster, germany sept 11, 1965

here the whole show this is from colorized

Date: May 15, 2023 23:28

That's great, thanks!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 15, 2023 23:47

How come has this brilliant footage flown under the radar for the IORRians for four months? So exciting! I’m Alright is one of my favorite early Stones numbers. Being able to hear Brian’s guitar work this clearly is an added bonus.

Fantastic find all around.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2023 00:47

If you are a guitarist howwould you characterize the quality of Brian’s playing? Was it hard to play orwas it good?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-16 01:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 16, 2023 11:41

Taylor1
If you are a guitarist howwould you characterize the quality of Brian’s playing? Was it hard to play orwas it good?

I am a guitarist and all I can say is that you entirely miss the point.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 16, 2023 11:54

ProfessorWolf

I was actually there and can state that this is of course NOT "the whole show", it's just the three songs that regional TV station WDR (of "Rockpalast" fame a decade later) were allowed to film for news coverage/cultural magazine purposes. However, only "Satisfaction" was aired back then. The three songs, filmed in b/w by the way, first appeared on commercial releases as bonus tracks on "Crossfire Hurricane" Blu-ray/DVD releases, "Around And Around" however only on the japanese version. The (nice) colorization is, of course, unofficial.

Date: May 16, 2023 12:04

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

It's a great performance.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2023 12:23

retired_dog

grinning smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 16, 2023 12:26

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf

I was actually there and can state that this is of course NOT "the whole show", it's just the three songs that regional TV station WDR (of "Rockpalast" fame a decade later) were allowed to film for news coverage/cultural magazine purposes. However, only "Satisfaction" was aired back then. The three songs, filmed in b/w by the way, first appeared on commercial releases as bonus tracks on "Crossfire Hurricane" Blu-ray/DVD releases, "Around And Around" however only on the japanese version. The (nice) colorization is, of course, unofficial.

i knew that and should have stated clearly it wasn't the whole show just the complete video

can you share any details about the show that you may remember?

i imagine the complete setlist would have been very similar to the one in berlin four days later

from nico

650915A 15th September: Berlin, West-Germany, Waldbühne (Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart/Around And Around/ Time Is On My Side/I'm Moving On/The Last Time/Satisfaction/I'm Alright)

it's amazingly well filmed for a local news program though

i wonder was it really that they we're only allowed to film three songs or were there other reasons for only filming that many

perhaps the cost of filming the whole show versus three songs or maybe three was just enough for what they needed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-16 12:27 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: May 16, 2023 12:42

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf

Lucky you! smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2023 12:54

retired_dog
Taylor1

What is the point?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home