Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Angie
Date: August 14, 2015 11:32

It's a masterpiece, imo. Mick never sang better.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 14, 2015 11:42

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: August 14, 2015 14:21

Havne't heard the song yet.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:26

In 1973 it was simply sensational! I wonder why they left those 'ghost vocals' behind Mick's voice. For decades I prefered the 1973 live Versions over the studio recording (but occasionally I listened to it as well).

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:36

Never liked this one, especially live. Ughhh

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 18:03

bitusa2012
HMS
I hate it. They sold their souls for commercial success beyond their fanbase. They even attached strings to make it even more schmaltzy. They did it only for the money. Many fans must have been very upset back then, I guess.

Sorry, don't agree. It's simply a ballad.

Lady Jane, Play With Fire, As Tears go By...all great Stones ballads. Many fans LOVED these earlier Stones ballads. THIS one loves Angie too.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in The Stones playing and presenting big, or small, ballads. In fact, Stones ballads usually are quite EXTRAordinary.

i can see why people love it.
however, play it next to "wild horses"
it's like putting "you got me rocking" up against "brown sugar"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:06

Turner68
bitusa2012
HMS
I hate it. They sold their souls for commercial success beyond their fanbase. They even attached strings to make it even more schmaltzy. They did it only for the money. Many fans must have been very upset back then, I guess.

Sorry, don't agree. It's simply a ballad.

Lady Jane, Play With Fire, As Tears go By...all great Stones ballads. Many fans LOVED these earlier Stones ballads. THIS one loves Angie too.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in The Stones playing and presenting big, or small, ballads. In fact, Stones ballads usually are quite EXTRAordinary.

i can see why people love it.
however, play it next to "wild horses"
it's like putting "you got me rocking" up against "brown sugar"

But the live versions of it during the 1973 tour are amazing imo:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:17

my fav. "Ballad" and micks best Vocals: Winter from GHS

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:15

Both the studio song and the live version I have had for years on my old vinyl boot NASTY SONGS from Brussels 1973 are most beautiful, yes, I agree!

Date: August 14, 2015 22:23

Nothing beats Mick's singing, and they sounds they created on the studio version, imo. The 73, 75, 76-versions were all very nice, albeit more simplistic and rough.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 23, 2019 13:30

When "Angie" came out and constantly filled the radio airwaves. I cringed. My friends loved Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and The Doors. I wanted more ass-kicking Stones but I grew to love the song. The song was huge! I got the new album (Goats Head Soup) and there was Star F ucker! I felt saved with some great ass-kicking Rock-n-Roll!

I really felt embarrassed when the first thing I heard off the next album was "Hot Stuff!" The Stones went Disco? WTF! Then I went to but the album and when I went to buy the album there it was playing in the Store. It was "Hand of Fate!" Great song. What a relief. I grew to love "Hot Stuff."

They did it to me again with "Some Girls." The first thing I heard on the radio over and over was the single version of "Miss You." There's not much to the single version. It's got the hook (chorus) and not a much more. Then the DJ play the single edit of "Far Away Eyes." WTF? I wondered what would be next on the album.

I grew to love "Miss You," especially with all of the different versions.

If you don't love "Angie." well I wish you would get the same pleasure and enjoyment I get from "Angie." It maybe the best love song ever written.

The Rolling Stones with their many musical styles, arrangements, instruments gives them much depth and many dimensions makes them greater and greater. "Angie" was a big success as many people love it. It made the band greater. I hope you grow to love it.

exilestones

rollmops
"Angie"is a great song; too huge for its own good but its beauty and its musical intricacies should not be diminished by its wide popularity; sometimes the mass of us get the good stuff!
Rockandroll,
Mops

I seriously think Angie is the best love song ever written! I hated it when it was released. Here's my story...

Honky Tonk Woman was by far my favorite song. I had been buying 45s of the big hits on the radio. I never paid any attention to the name of the recording artist. I was a little kid and I loved music.

I had all of the big hits from back then, everything from Mel and Tims "Backfield in Motion" to the Beatles "Revolution." I had grown-up on Bubble Gum Music, everything from "1, 2, 3 Red Light," "Keep the Ball Rolling," "Indian Giver," "Baby It's You" by Smith. Then "Honky Tonk Woman" became a big hit.

I used to list to AM radio night and day where they play all of the big hits every hour. I waited for the cow bell at the beginning of Honky Tonk to sneak up on me and the this force would come over me and give me the power of a super hero as Charlie's drumming put me in a trance. I felt power surge through me as I would dance around my basement room where I hung out. "Honky Tonk Woman" was the best song I had ever heard! I bought the 7" single and figured-out from the record label Honk Tonk was by the Rolling Stones. This was the band Pete who lived down the street liked. I didn't like Pete, so I didn't want to like the band he liked but, hey, I can't argue with a song that turned me on like no other.

I changed schools and made a new friend Vincent who loved the Rolling Stones. I went to his house one day and there were Rolling Stones posters covering his walls. Vincent's Mom made comments about the posters remarking that they were posters of Vincent's girlfriends due to their long hair.

I said to Vincent, "These posters are the Rolling Stones?" Vincent excitedly said, "Yes." Vincent wanted to share his love of the Rolling Stones with me his new friend. "This is the group that does "Honky Tonk Woman!" Excitedly he said, "Yes!" I exclaimed, "I bought the 45 of "Honky Tonk Woman" and wanted to find more songs by the Rolling Stones.

Vincent put Hot Rocks on the turn table. I wasn't very impressed at first. I had heard "Satisfaction" plenty of times but didn't know it was the same band as "Honky Tonk Woman." Then side three of "Hot Rocks" blew me away!

I got "Hot Rocks" that year from Santa Clause. How he knew what to get, I don't know since I had stopped writing him letters. The rest as we say is history. I wore-out "Hot Rocks" playing it over and over.

"Exile on Main Street" was released. My older brother bought it and didn't like it. He gave it to me. I didn't like it either except for "Tumbling Dice" which I loved. Vincent came to my house and saw Exile and and played "Sweet Virginia" over and over. He like, "scrape the shit right off your shoes." Bad words in a song were big when we were eleven-years-old. We'd let that side of the album play as we were doing other things and then play it again. I thought the album sucked but didn't realize that Exile, like "Goats Head Soup" and many other Stones albums are and acquired taste that take time to grow on people.

I grew to love "Hot Rocks." I loved the Rolling Stones. Many songs on "Hot Rocks" gave me that super power or as my elder aunt would say about certain songs, "It sends me." Kick-ass songs including the best version of "Paint It Black" (1986 Old Abkco - long version mono - most powerful), "Street Fighting Man," "Jumping Jack Flash"... the list goes on of songs then would 'send me' to another dimension and give me powerful dance moves. I probably looked awkward but in my mind I was cooler than Tom Cruse sing "Old Time Rock and Roll" in the movie Risky Business.

Oh yeah, "Angie." Then came 1973 and Vincent was telling me that the Rolling Stones had a new album released called "Goats Head Soup" and that I had to buy it right away. I agreed forgetting about how much I didn't like Exile (now my all time favorite album. Like I said, 'it's an acquired taste').

I made enough money for bus fare and to buy the new Rolling Stones album from working for my Uncle. After work and dinner, I caught the first bus and went and bought the album. I couldn't wait to get it home and spin it.

I ran all of the way from the bus stop to my house. Ran down to the basement. Mom yelled, "Aren't you going to say, 'Hello?" I yelled, "Hi, Mom," as I jumped down the last five steps.

I played Goats Head Soup. It sucked at first play. "What happened to the Rolling Stones?," I wondered. I heard "Angie" on the radio every hour on the hour all day long scrapping paint off my uncle's garage door all day and thinking, "What the @#$%& is this whiney song?"

I had proclaimed to the world, all of my friends that the Rolling Stones were the greatest band ever! They kick ass! They know how to make the best songs. They were much better than the Beatles! But, "Angie?"

"Angie" could be heard everywhere, over and over. My reputation was doomed. Where was "Street Fighting Man," "Jumping Jack Flash," "Gimme Shelter," "Midnight Rambler," Honky Tonk Woman" and all of the other great songs? We got "Angie" with Mick Jagger whispering? I want Mick to shout and scream and kill the king and rail at all his servants!

I went down to the corner where everyone hung out and we were head to John's house. His parents were away. I brought some records along including "Goats Head Soup." I loved "Star @#$%&" by then and thought it would be cool to play it for my friends who were in to the "Doors."

Johnny's older sister was having a party down stairs as we headed up stairs to Johnny's room for our impromptu party. Johnny's sister, Patty, said, "Can I see which records you have? Can we play some down here? For Patty, anything. She was the coolest girl around and everyone loved her. "Sure, Patty, you can borrow some records."

Patty spots "Goats Head Soup." She lets out a gasp and says, "The Rolling Stones! I love Mick Jagger and Keith is the coolest ever! IS this the new album with "Angie" on it?" I said, "Yeah, 'Angie is on it and "Star @#$%&" too!"

Patty grabs "Goats Head Soup" and wraps her arms around it, holds it tightly to her chest and says, "Angie" is the most beautiful song ever written. It makes me cry. It's such a sad and beautiful song. Nobody can let you feel a song like Mick Jagger can."

Wow! What just happened? The song that embarrassed me in front of all of my friends was suddenly cool. If Patty, the coolest chick around (she was in high school too!) thought it was cool, well then, my reputation was in tact. There must have been something to this new Stones song "Angie" that I missed. The radio sure loved it.

Suddenly I didn't cringe every time Angie came on the radio. I was proud that my bad, the Rolling Stones were number one! I didn't understand it at the time but I was glad Patty loved it in front of my friends and it was currently a big hit.

Patty's girlfriends loved it to. Linda excitedly said, "Put on Angie!" I didn't say a word to my friends. I felt very cool.

This was a tough crowd where i lived. Ray a greaser type with is combat boots, dungarees, big wallet in his back pocket hook on with a silver chain says, "We ain't playin' no Mick Faggot Lips." Patty walked over to Ray and started running her hand through his hair with her other arm security pressing "Goats Head Soup" against her chest and told Ray, "Honey, we're playing the Rolling Stones." Ray said, "I don't like the Rolling Stones!" Patty told Ray, we're putting it on!"

Ray looked at me and said, "You had to bring that shit over here. I don't like it!" I said to him, "You don't have to like. You just have to listen it to it." He came running towards me and I rand like hell up those steps with him yelling, "If you weren't Tommy's little brother I'd take you outside and beat your ass!"

We had side three of "Hot Rocks" blasting upstairs. I'd open the bedroom door and could hear "Angie" being play again and again.

After that episode I started listening to "Angie" on the album and listened intensely as it constantly played on the radio.

I started to realize that "Angie" was a great tragic song. It was beautiful. Emotional. Sad. Loving. Not only was it heart wrenching to know how much Mick loved this woman but he couldn't be with her anymore. He knew it. She knew it. The imagery in the song came through like no other song, "Everywhere I look I see your eyes." It was by far the greatest love of his life, "There ain't a woman that comes close to you." But there was no more lovin' in their souls. The relationship was over and Mick was telling Angie who probably had a hard time excepting the news. Mick had a hard time with it but he understood it and was moving on. He was just explaining it to Angie.

Mick understands that Angie is beautiful and hates the sadness in Angie's eyes but it was time to say, Good bye." He remembers how sweet Angie's kisses still tasted but he had to break-up anyway. All of the dreams they had together we're going to work-out. This song is the realization of a great love that did not work out and it was very hard to end it. He remembers 'all of the nights of crying.'

It was very touching as Mick whispers in Angie's ear, "Where will It lead us from here?" Where will life take them after their plans of their life together was over. There were clouds hanging over the relationship. It wasn't like it once was.

At the end of the song Mick admits he still loves her. It's simply heartbreaking.

I gave "Angie" many spins after the party(s) at Johnny's and Patty's house. I grew to understand what the world was loving about the new big Rolling Stones song, "Angie." "Heartbreaker" and "Star @#$%&" were soon tow of my very favorite songs as I was beginning to love "Dancing With Mr D."

I didn't mention how beautiful the music is on "Angie" and how perfectly it fits the song with violins, acoustic guitars, paino and Mick's emotional delivery. "Angie" is a perfect song. It's among the best love songs written. I haven't found a better, more emotional and heart-wrenching song.

Thanks, Patty and @#$%& you, Ray!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2019 15:47

Thanks sharing your story, exilestones! That was a great read. I like reading personal accounts from the times the Stones and their songs were actually huge deals, dominating the airwaves and the kids still seeing those relevant. That's something I haven't really managed to experience during my fanhood days. Was born too late, so to say.

To an extent the song I was hooked up with, "Start Me Up" as a cool song back in the day. It attracted to an extent my generation (was 13 at the time), although the Stones over-all were seen as an oldies act, fans being seemingly older than me. However, fortunately there was quite a lot of us then; from us - "Start Me Up" generation who are around 50 years young today - all over the world the Stones were still able to gather quite a big audience, as we can see from our site. It was also great to see how much people - especially the girls (which especially for me back then was very important winking smiley) - liked "Harlem Shuffle"; it was a hit on the dance floor. But since then, it has been pretty quiet in that front. And along the years, I didn't get any younger either...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 15:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 23, 2019 15:56

[www.youtube.com]
Piano , Bass . Percussion's track for ANGIE
Piano Nicky Hopkins
Drums Charlie Watts
Bass Bill Wyman
(there are some 'strings' and some synth on here as well
but mostly it's piano bass drums.
it's quite lovely
The following quoted from the fan who posted this video

"The track Angie is from the Goat Heads Soup LP. This particular version with no vocal or guitar tracks features Nicky Hopkins on keyboards along with Charlie on the drums and Bill playing bass. Angie is about the end of a relationship, a romance gone badly, a lost love Elisa Edelman. It was written and composed primarily by Keith Richards.
Urban legend has Mick Jagger writing the song for David Bowie' s wife but the truth is Keith wrote the song for Anita Pallenberg. Keith had just ended a relationship with Anita.
Nicky Hopkins a long time friend & musical collaborator of the Stones plays a brilliant keyboard track which stands out in the song and along with Jagger's vocals make's this a magical song !"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2019 00:01

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 24, 2019 00:28

Nice quotes from both of them...................

Maureen

Maureen, Maureen
When will those dark clouds all disappear
Maureen, Maureen
Where will it lead us from here
With no lovin' in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
Maureen, Maureen
You can't say we never tried
Maureen, you're beautiful
But ain't it time we say goodbye
Maureen, I still love you
Remember all those nights we cried
All the dreams were held so close
Seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear
Maureen, Maureen
Oh, Maureen, don't you wish
Oh your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Maureen
Maureen
Ain't it time we said goodbye
With no…

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 24, 2019 03:46

FANTASTIC

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 24, 2019 07:09

NICOS
Nice quotes from both of them...................

Maureen

Maureen, Maureen
When will those dark clouds all disappear
Maureen, Maureen
With no lovin' in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
Maureen, Maureen
You can't say we never tried
Maureen, you're beautiful
But ain't it time we say goodbye
Maureen, I still love you
Remember all those nights we cried
All the dreams were held so close
Seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear
Maureen, Maureen
Oh, Maureen, don't you wish
Oh your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Maureen
Maureen
Ain't it time we said goodbye
With no…

ouch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 14:24 by hopkins.

Date: February 24, 2019 14:16

Original magazine ad for the “Angie” single (Billboard Sep 8, 1973)

Musicians

The following musicians appeared on “Angie”:

Mick Jagger – vocals
Keith Richards – guitar
Mick Taylor – guitar
Charlie Watts – drums
Bill Wyman – bass guitar
Nicky Hopkins – piano.
The strings were arranged by Nicky Harrison.

“Angie” hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on October 14, 1973. The single repeated this number one success in many countries, including Australia where it was at the top for five weeks.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 24, 2019 15:22

I loved Angie when it was on the radio and was part of the Rotterdam 73 setlist, it reached nr. 1 in the Dutch top charts(8-9-73) and nr. 2 in the single top 100 in 73.

Date: February 24, 2019 18:51

hopkins
[www.youtube.com]
Piano , Bass . Percussion's track for ANGIE
Piano Nicky Hopkins
Drums Charlie Watts
Bass Bill Wyman
(there are some 'strings' and some synth on here as well
but mostly it's piano bass drums.
it's quite lovely
The following quoted from the fan who posted this video

"The track Angie is from the Goat Heads Soup LP. This particular version with no vocal or guitar tracks features Nicky Hopkins on keyboards along with Charlie on the drums and Bill playing bass. Angie is about the end of a relationship, a romance gone badly, a lost love Elisa Edelman. It was written and composed primarily by Keith Richards.
Urban legend has Mick Jagger writing the song for David Bowie' s wife but the truth is Keith wrote the song for Anita Pallenberg. Keith had just ended a relationship with Anita.
Nicky Hopkins a long time friend & musical collaborator of the Stones plays a brilliant keyboard track which stands out in the song and along with Jagger's vocals make's this a magical song !"

Great video. Very enjoyable. Thanks for the post. I don't think it's the Stones. The piano is very convincing. I wish it was the Charlie, Bill and Nicky.

Date: February 24, 2019 18:58

MORE: Goats Head Soup Opinions

[iorr.org]

++++++

Track Talk: 100 Years Ago

[iorr.org]

++++++

TRACK TALK: Angie:

[iorr.org]

++++++

Track Talk: Waiting on a Friend

[iorr.org]

++++++

[iorr.org]

ALBUM TALK: Tattoo You

+++++++++

Track Talk: Star Star

[iorr.org]

+++++++

Track Talk: Winter

[iorr.org]

+++++++++

Track Talk: Coming Down Again

[iorr.org]

+++++++++

Goats Head Soup Revisitied:

[iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 19:43 by exilestones.

Date: February 24, 2019 19:05

DandelionPowderman
Nothing beats Mick's singing, and they sounds they created on the studio version, imo. The 73, 75, 76-versions were all very nice, albeit more simplistic and rough.

The Brussels '73 version contains a great Taylor solo. That's about the only reason I ever listen to the song.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 24, 2019 19:57

The 73 Brussels version as great weaving between MT and Keith( did I say weaving LOL). Yes MT's solo is awesome but the vocals, and weaving is awesome.

Date: February 24, 2019 20:04

OpenG
The 73 Brussels version as great weaving between MT and Keith( did I say weaving LOL). Yes MT's solo is awesome but the vocals, and weaving is awesome.

Great , Greater, Greatest. cool smiley

Date: February 24, 2019 20:20

"Angie" isn't just the song on Goats Head Soup. It's also two videos, 45 picture sleeves, many great live versions, our memories and much more.

Live in Birmingham:
[www.youtube.com]

Angie Live From Brussels 1973:

[www.youtube.com]

Essen 1973 performance of "Angie":

[www.youtube.com]

Live in Munich 1973:
[www.youtube.com]

++++++

"The name Angie is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Angie is: Feminine form of Angel, meaning messenger or angel."

+++++++

smokeydusky

Used to be a bunch of pix at the Getty site listed as Wembley. Unsure of the accuracy though

Birmingham

Wembley Pool 73:
[iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-24 20:41 by exilestones.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 25, 2019 13:51

"Schmaltzy" is the word that some(Mick included) use to describe Angie. It fits the some of the musical arrangement but behind the musical make-up, there is a great song. If we compare the song with Bill's "Si, si je suis une Rockstar".it is easy to see that Wyman's smash-hit doesn't carry anything musically substantial. It is fantastic that Bill came up out of nowhere with an international hit but the song itself is just that and its only merit is its huge popular and commercial appeal.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 25, 2019 15:05

schmaltz - excessive sentimentality, especially in music or movies.

People complained that "Angie" is schmaltzy. What's wrong with schmaltz? All of the poignant touching story telling is great and Mick delivers it better than anyone could. The beautiful heartbreaking story with the beautiful romantic music is awesome. It's not some, "I loved her. She loved me. Now she's gone song." It's the breaking-up of this couple.

This heart wrenching story with it's appropriate soft music does what art should do;stir emotions. It does it well, at least for me.

I'm thrilled "Angie" was a huge hit. I enjoy the diversity of the Rolling Stones to be a band with many dimensions that include ballads.

Then the complaints about "Angie" being pop music. What's wrong with pop? I always liked pop music. I grew-up on AM radio until FM became popular.

When I was a little kid I loved Bubble Gum Music and the Beatles. When I started to love the Rolling Stones, I was glad there was a band that could make great serious, high quality music that could rule the music charts.

You don't like schmaltz, pop or the poignant "Angie?" I'm sorry that you are missing out.

poignant - evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-25 15:15 by exilestones.

Date: February 25, 2019 15:05

Date: February 25, 2019 15:10

Date: February 25, 2019 15:13

"Rolling Stones making another appearance with their 1973 #1 smash, “Angie,” from the Goats Head Soup album. This song was written by Keith Richards after the birth of his daughter Dandelion Angela, (see, even in the 70s celebrities were giving their children crazy names.) Mick of course, did write the lyrics, save the Angie part, and his vocal delivery is a crushing example of his voice’s perfection. What else do we got here? Oh, the fantastic Nicky Hopkins on piano, and the Stones looking cool as hell on this TV promo as Richards and Taylor have roses on their guitar heads, and flower petals flutter down on them. No one really makes music like this much these days, but luckily, it WAS made, and so, great, here it is."

OFFICIAL video:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.williesimpson.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home