Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Angie
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:26

Rockman
I think Mick and Keith don´t know either anymore, who is it about.....

Jump Back liner notes............

Once again, keith is spinning a web. His daughter's name was originally "Dandelion" and she later changed it to "Angela", so how could have it been written about her right after she was born?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:29

Angie is one of the most overrated songs. Although it was a huge hit they have had songs on their latter day records that are no anywhere as well known, but are much better.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 13, 2010 06:18

71Tele

Once again, keith is spinning a web. His daughter's name was originally "Dandelion" and she later changed it to "Angela", so how could have it been written about her right after she was born?

Who knows at this point, yknow? smiling smiley maybe it was written about Angie Bowie -- after all these years of everyone (including me) disabusing people who said that was who Angie was.

Maybe we will never know.

But I want to know WHY did they use strings? whose idea was that?

And are there any version of Angie without strings?

(and I am embarrassed to have thought the version "without Keith and Mick" was real - oh well -- rather be open-minded and wrong sometimes than know-it-all and bitter winking smiley )

Date: May 13, 2010 07:02

VoodooLounge13
complete rubbish. Always hated this song always will. Don't understand the love for it. The worst song IMO that they've ever written.

The worst song they've ever written? no offense, but that is absurd!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:56

That is the learning curb of being on blogs...you start out wanting to prove your point over and over, until after a while it becomes clear that most folks have their tastes. For better or worse, its a personal thing. So it becomes fruitless to try to sway people's opinion. So instead you think of the reasons why you feel that way and express it. So for me, when thinking about the things I love about this band is what inspires me to try to write something of an homage with respect and reverence. And passion. So its cool for all you that don't see the light in Angie, but for us others, we have the beauty to listen to over and over in its many incarnations. And each time it is like listening to it for the first time when you hear that one interesting tidbit that brings that smile and shiver up your back. Like being a kid again.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:57

swiss
I want to know WHY did they use strings? whose idea was that?

I recall reading a quote of Mick's that stated it was Atlantic Records' idea for the strings.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2010 16:05

>> His daughter's name was originally "Dandelion" and she later changed it to "Angela" <<

in fact her middle name was Angela right from the get-go

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:40

skipstone
swiss
I want to know WHY did they use strings? whose idea was that?

I recall reading a quote of Mick's that stated it was Atlantic Records' idea for the strings.

skipstone, thank you. I suppose if Keith was creatively cloudy and not altogether present in those days perhaps Atlantic Records had more influence on Mick than at other times.

- swiss

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 1, 2010 02:51

Gorgeous ballad that was never quite as good live as it is on GHS. I remember as a kid being mesmerized by Mick whispering "An-gee". Lyrically devastating. The piano is heartbreaking. The strings too. A true classic.

Drew

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2010 06:08

This song swept the globe when it appeared. And it probably helped that they had a really hard rocking image for a few year that this song balanced out. Heartbreaking song. Up there with the Stones' masterpieces.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 1, 2010 10:23

What's not to love? Beautiful ballad, great arrangements, fantastic lyrics and above all, Mick's voice at its best.

Always in my top 5 Stones songs. Seems like that make me a fake Stones fan..Tant pis.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 1, 2010 18:43

drewmaster
Gorgeous ballad that was never quite as good live as it is on GHS.
Drew

Come on, the 1973 live versions were something really different from the studio cut - it would have been impossible to reproduce the stuio recording on stage - but they were fantastic!

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: September 1, 2010 22:49

For some reason, Angie is one of the most popular
Stones songs in Latinamerica. It's also my
wife favorite Stones song,

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2010 00:05

The original is great. Br '73 the best imo, with a wink at Taylor.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 2, 2010 03:35

...........In September 1973, Kirshner left In Concert -- he received producing credits for three more shows—to launch his own syndicated "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert." The premier, on September 27, 1973, featured The Rolling Stones, taped in London, in their first appearance on American TV in more than four years.

.......maybe not their best tune...but I've been hooked ever since.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 2, 2010 19:49

I would be very surprised if Keith wrote this song. It sounds like typical Jagger pop to me. Another smeared lyric picture. He often tries for ambiguity, but ends up just being contradictory and confusing. His images are trite. He does not have the courage (or talent) for clarity or simplicity. In a weird way the song comes across as arrogant and almost pompous. It is nice sounding song if you do not listen to the lyrics. But even Taylor's tasty solos do not save this one for me.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 2, 2010 20:20

best song ever.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2013 00:01

Bump since it's track talk.

Since Nicky's on piano and supposedly sounding like he (Nicky) did on Lennon's Jelous Guy: Is the part where Mick sings, let me whisper in your ear/they can't say we never tried/i hate to see that sadness in your eyes, that little melodic hook, "ripped" from the main theme ("I was feeling insecure..." on Jelous Guy? Same notes. Different songs altogether of course.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 29, 2013 09:10

The guitar is similar to a slow minor Spanish/Flamenco like thing, which might be why it's popular in Latin countries.

I read that Taylor said he played quite a lot of the Acoustic guitar on it.

Keith wrote the music and why not?, Keith wrote the music to "As Tears Go By".

The strings are well done IMO and the string arrangement suits the song.

The strings could have been a more blander arrangement but the arrangement they used has a few twists and turns to make it interesting.

Nicky Hopkins piano is very good and fits right in.

Mick's singing is pretty good for the song as well, a whispering Mick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 09:13 by howled.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2013 10:29

Yes I know but I read Rockmans uploaded article in the great thread "Some kind of..." and in that article they say Nicky's piano from Jealous Guy is similar to Angie. Different songs and I know the story about the song but that melodic hook in Angie is the same as the main theme in Jealous Guy. I love Angie and prefer it to Jealous Guy and they dont sound similar at all but Im curious about Jagger/Lennon in the 70s.

Miss you vs Bless you/Scared/Whatever gets you - no real similarity but according to Lennon a rip off of Bless you. Same goes for Heaven by the way.
Was Lennon included on Jagger's playlist when producing Stones? I never thought he did so it's a bit surprising.

I'm not talking about rip off - it isnt - but I'm interested in the Stones and mainly Jagger's working progress in the 70.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 29, 2013 10:58

I think that's just Nicky Hopkins style that is common to both songs.

Jealous Guy and Angie are 2 different songs but seeing that they are both ballads, then Nicky might tend to play in a similar way on both of them.

The guitar lines at the end of Scared has some similarities to the Miss You melody and maybe that's what Lennon was talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 10:59 by howled.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 10:47

Redhotcarpet
Bump since it's track talk.

Since Nicky's on piano and supposedly sounding like he (Nicky) did on Lennon's Jelous Guy: Is the part where Mick sings, let me whisper in your ear/they can't say we never tried/i hate to see that sadness in your eyes, that little melodic hook, "ripped" from the main theme ("I was feeling insecure..." on Jelous Guy? Same notes. Different songs altogether of course.

i think you're right actually. wow, never noticed that.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 12:30

I hate it. They sold their souls for commercial success beyond their fanbase. They even attached strings to make it even more schmaltzy. They did it only for the money. Many fans must have been very upset back then, I guess.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2015 14:11

Probably Stones strongest song after the Decca-era...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 22:12

HMS
I hate it. They sold their souls for commercial success beyond their fanbase. They even attached strings to make it even more schmaltzy. They did it only for the money. Many fans must have been very upset back then, I guess.

Sold their soul with Angie? And what about Lady Jane......
Stones are a Rock& Roll band with ballads.

And commercially it's a good set to release a sensitive songs......although I don't think the Stones did on purpose.

Good sample is Metelica with "Nothing Else Matters" they didn't became that huge if they didn't released it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 22:34

NICOS

Lady Jane belongs to the pop-days of the Stones, so it´s alright with me... But by the time of Angie they were the greatest Rock n Roll band in the world. And then they released a song schmaltzier then any Eagles-Song you can ever imagine... Ballads are nice, but Angie is schmaltzy-overkill, absolutely horrible.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 13, 2015 23:51

Angie (and Brown Sugar) was the first Stones I heard and it got me hooked. Now more than forty years later I still think it's fantastic. And the promovideo (version 2) is fantastic too.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2015 00:25

Only the first guitar note of Angie makes my day............ping

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 09:58

HMS
NICOS

Lady Jane belongs to the pop-days of the Stones, so it´s alright with me... But by the time of Angie they were the greatest Rock n Roll band in the world. And then they released a song schmaltzier then any Eagles-Song you can ever imagine... Ballads are nice, but Angie is schmaltzy-overkill, absolutely horrible.

I don't think Mick gets schmaltzier than the Eagles until Fool To Cry but I confess I haven't given it much thought - you may be right. I would suggest, however, the ease with which they could pump out fluffy little ballads like this only solidified their claim to being the greatest Rock 'N Pop band in the world. Rock N Roll and pop have always been about wearing your emotions on your sleeve. Crikey, it's not like they're a death metal band.

And be honest: don't you well up a little when Mick sings 'ain't it good to be alive?' in the song's penultimate line? I do.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 10:26

HMS

Sorry, don't agree. It's simply a ballad.

Lady Jane, Play With Fire, As Tears go By...all great Stones ballads. Many fans LOVED these earlier Stones ballads. THIS one loves Angie too.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in The Stones playing and presenting big, or small, ballads. In fact, Stones ballads usually are quite EXTRAordinary.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home