Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT-Your Fav 90's Bands
Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 29, 2008 17:24

Nirvana and Oasis.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 29, 2008 19:27

The 90's sucked for the most part. Grunge is a cancer to true rock and roll and most of the bands listed shouldn't even be mentioned in the smae sentence as the Black Crowes or GnR or the Stones for that matter.

I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-29 19:36 by shadooby.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 14:49

Without naming the numerous bands, I loved the whole indie scene and later britpop thing. It felt for a moment like rock n roll was fashionable again. Starting from the likes of the Stone Roses and leading through Suede, Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene and all the others, it was a great time. Then you also had the grunge scene in the states. What an exciting time!

That was backed up by RS concert tickets being affordable for young people.

Then the Spice Girls came along and ruined it all!

Posted by: palmkeith ()
Date: September 30, 2008 15:01

Definately the Red Devils

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2008 20:39

Can't forget the Manics!

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 30, 2008 21:21

The Stones and Guns N' Roses.

Guns N' Roses is an incredible band at their best. To me, they have much of the same attitude as The Stones, they create a feeling about rock as "wild" that is similar to what The Stones do. Two examples:

Sweet Child O' Mine:

You Could Be Mine:

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 30, 2008 22:29

REEF!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: October 1, 2008 05:58

The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 1, 2008 11:09

G & R! Ringo! Just when I managed to forget them! sad smiley

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: October 1, 2008 11:25

Jane's Addiction, they changed music forever with the success of Ritual de Lo Habitual.
They brought "underground" to main stream, started the season of outdoor summer festivals, mixed successfully different styles of music and rocked your socks off like a motherf**ker!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 1, 2008 12:34

Faith No More (Mike Patton/Big Jim Martin era FNM)
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Primal Scream
RATM
At The Drive In
Underworld
Transglobal Underground
Nine Inch Nails
Beastie Boys
Lots of electronic/rave/dance/techno/drum n bass stuff likd Underworld, Orbital, Transglobal Underground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 12:40 by Father Ted.

Date: October 1, 2008 12:37

Jane's were an awesome band. I got a copy of Ritual about 1990 and it was on my Walkman for months for my daily walk to college.

"Been caught stealin', once, when I was five..."

Superb!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 1, 2008 12:39

Ringo
Guns N' Roses is an incredible band at their best. To me, they have much of the same attitude as The Stones, they create a feeling about rock as "wild" that is similar to what The Stones do.

but they're not a 90's band - they evolved and they're most
famous works are from the 1980's

Date: October 1, 2008 12:45

Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 came out around 1990 so I believe that qualifies them! Admittedly their best was already behind them by then.

Date: October 1, 2008 13:12

Father Ted
Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 came out around 1990 so I believe that qualifies them! Admittedly their best was already behind them by then.
If they were released in 1990 it'd make them still 80's releases.

Date: October 1, 2008 13:23

How can an album released in 1990 be classified as an 80s release?!

Date: October 1, 2008 13:25

Because 1990 is the last year of the '80s decade, technically speaking.
Same thing with London Calling of the Clash, it was released in 1980 but it couldn't figure in some kind of 80s top list as it was considered a 70's record.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 1, 2008 13:36

the millennium started in 2001, not 2000. The 80's started in 1980, and the 90's in 1990.

Date: October 1, 2008 13:39

You clearly work on a different calendar system to me! I use the same calendar as double door - the 90s started in 1990.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 13:40 by Father Ted.

Date: October 1, 2008 13:41

doubledoor
the millennium started in 2001, not 2000. The 80's started in 1980, and the 90's in 1990.
You are contradicting yourself here,
If the millenium started in 2001, then the 80s started in 1981 and the '90s in 1991.
Otherwise the millenium started in 2000.
Make up your mind.

Date: October 1, 2008 13:44

If I was born in 1990 and someone asks me which decade I was born in, I would say the 90s. I'm not going to say the 80s right? I'd sound like I'd gone mental!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 1, 2008 14:30

Black Crowes
Chili Peppers
Lenny Kravitz
U2's Zooropa Phase
Soundgarden
Fugazi
Blue Rodeo
Tragically Hip
Smashing Pumpkins

... and I agree. Artistically, the Stones are not a 90's band.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 1, 2008 15:28

Father Ted
If I was born in 1990 and someone asks me which decade I was born in, I would say the 90s. I'm not going to say the 80s right? I'd sound like I'd gone mental!

Nevertheless, Father, people were havin' thick shoulder pads
in their suits, short sleeves in the same suit and their hair
stood right up, stiff from styling gel & their expressions were nobody's's.
In the year of 1990.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 15:28 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 1, 2008 17:06

I always thought the 80's was the 80's and so on.

How is the 1990 part of the 1980's?

I'm not disputing anything guys - I'm just a little ignorant on this particular matter

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: October 1, 2008 17:07

Baboon Bro
G & R! Ringo! Just when I managed to forget them! sad smiley

I love e.g. the "pressure" in You Could Be Mine, but I can easily understand that others get sick of this band!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 1, 2008 17:09

"If they were released in 1990 it'd make them still 80's releases"

They were released on September 17, 1991.

"but they're not a 90's band - they evolved and they're most
famous works are from the 1980's"

Agreed. That's why I did not include Guns in my list of 90's fav bands.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 1, 2008 17:13

shadooby
The 90's sucked for the most part. Grunge is a cancer to true rock and roll and most of the bands listed shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Black Crowes or GnR or the Stones for that matter.

I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
BLAH BLAH BLAH

You're not serious I hope. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is THE song of the nineties. You must take into account that the grunge generation didn't have the likes of The Rolling Stones or The Beatles. They got Nirvana, which was their revolution. It's totally understandable that they didn't care much for The Stones.
Musically speaking there was some great stuff in the grunge wave too. Granted Nirvana's songs tended to have the same structure (Going from slow to hard many times, and certainly in the songs that are regarded their biggest hits - "Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, Rape Me etc. etc.). But the melodies were very strong. Kurt Cobain was a big Beatles fan, and the way he looked at music was that the strongest, and most important part of a song is the melody (And I agree with him, but I'd also add that the way the music grooves is also very important. That's why The Stones is my fave band. "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "Brown Sugar", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Rough Justice" (I could go on forever with The Stones), "Yer Blues", My Generation", "Glory Days" are all song with great melody and great groove). With this perspective in the Nirvana songs they were among the best of the best. I think most other grunge acts lacked this perspective, and that's why I don't listen to them. It's too boring in the long run. Not that I can't hear the occasional Pearl Jam song, but more than one gets boring for me.
Guns 'n Roses had some of the same too. But there's longer between the pints with them. Even longer with The Black Crowes. I mean: I like both those bands, but not as much as Nirvana. Nirvana MEANT something. There was something way deeper about them, than GNR or The Crowes.
Regarding your statement that grunge is a cancer to true rock 'n roll: I agree that the grunge/metal inspired rock of today, is a cancer. Not just to rock 'n roll, but to everything. It really sucks. I just have to ask you the question what true rock 'n roll is? Chuck Berry inspired Stones rock right? Well, if you could find the time to maybe get off your high horse you'd understand that rock music is so much more than that (As Gazza so correctly stated in another thread some days ago).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 1, 2008 18:18

Its the old versus the weary ears, Kent. I agree
totally with whatcha sayin'.

I even know a good guy from South Georgia who are sceptical against Nirvana.

Grunge poured new blood into a dyin' rock and roll.

Some of ya people seem to have forget the serious state of semi-deathness
that rock was suffering back in 1989-90.

And Big Al: 1990... (quotin' myself) "people were [still] havin' thick shoulder padsin their suits, short sleeves in the same suit and their hair
stood right up, stiff from styling gel & their expressions were nobody's's.
In the year of 1990.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:37

I think Nirvana still sucked. It's all about promotion and what the big fat guy behind the desk THINKS the kids want to hear. We will never know of many new bands who tried to make it after the hair band generation. Just because some dudes got together in Seattle and had their own big party scene where every band (especially the vocalists) sounded the same and dressed the same and smelled the same didn't mean that's what the whole friggin planet wanted. Pretty soon everybody is convinced it must be good just because it's the only thing being spoon fed on the radio even though most probably hated it from the start.

This is just my opinion so you can refrain from getting personal.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:17

1. Nirvana
2. Oasis
3. REM (height of popularity in 90s)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home