Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

San Francisco Record Stores?
Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 20, 2008 18:54

Headed to SF today - can anyone guide me to a good record/memorabilia shop?

Thanks

Re: San Francisco Record Stores?
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 20, 2008 19:36

Amoeba Records on Haight Street--near Stanyan. One of the best record stores anywhere, ever.

Haven't been to the Berkeley Amoeba across the Bay, but I would think that it's as good...

You're a lucky man--SF's a beautiful town. Go have lunch in the Ferry Building and then walk down the Embarcadero for a Giants game--against the Dodgers, no less.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2008 21:22

Rev. Robert W.
Amoeba Records on Haight Street--near Stanyan. One of the best record stores anywhere, ever.

Haven't been to the Berkeley Amoeba across the Bay, but I would think that it's as good...

You're a lucky man--SF's a beautiful town. Go have lunch in the Ferry Building and then walk down the Embarcadero for a Giants game--against the Dodgers, no less.

I'll second all those suggestions Rev. Amoeba is a great record store. Go Giants...Duck the Fodgerssmiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: September 20, 2008 21:37

ditto on Amoeba. Berkeley is similar.
near Amoeba in Berkeley is a Rasputin which is similar.
There is a Rasputin in downtown SF (Powell near Union Square)
I have not been in that one but probably pretty good too
BTW- long walk to Chavez Ravine. Giants playing in LA today

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 20, 2008 21:59

Rev. Robert W.

You're a lucky man--SF's a beautiful town. Go have lunch in the Ferry Building and then walk down
the Embarcadero for a Giants game--against the Dodgers, no less.

I´ve been to Amoeba in Berkeley and bought an Oakland 69 poster, a bit damaged but nice. I always
thought it was a reprint, but now I found out that it´s a first print. ( [www.wolfgangsvault.com])

Anyway a great store, as I remember. Been there in 1994, before I went over to RFK in DC smiling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:03

You can never go wrong with Amoeba. there's this store ive never been to on Market St in the Castro Area called "Grooves" that i've heard is a really good one. they only carry records.

Today is a nice day to be "oat and aboat" in SF. its overcast but a very comfortable temp.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 22:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:04

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:23

Used to be a great store called The Record Vault
Its been a while but I used to get great stuff there.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:36

Yeah, Ameoba rules....however a local friend was just there on Friday, and likely cleaned out all the groovy Stones items.

JR

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:55

I took a break from collecting(especially boots) in the late eighties raising kids.When I got back into it in the 90s imagine my surprise when I found out one of the largest vinyl boot stores in the DFW area called Forever Young Records was in my town! By the time I found out they had quite carrying them.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:30

although Amoeba is terrific, It usually doesn't have stones bootlegs. The only one I always see there is "Liver Than You'll ever be " on vinyl. from time to time something else will be there. The last couple of times ive seen Charlie Is My darling on DVD .. Id get that if I had some more spending $$.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 23:33 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:42

There's a memorabilia shop on Powell street between Union Square and North Beach. I walked it, so I don't remember the name or cross street, but it's on the left hand side of the street as you head toward North Beach. They have a lot of rock posters...including some signed by the Stones...(so they say, anyway.) I guess it's pretty much buyer beware...as long as you trust the seller.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 21, 2008 00:36

ryanpow
although Amoeba is terrific, It usually doesn't have stones bootlegs. The only one I always see there is "Liver Than You'll ever be " on vinyl. from time to time something else will be there. The last couple of times ive seen Charlie Is My darling on DVD .. Id get that if I had some more spending $$.
Save your money-email me and I'll send you a copy.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 21, 2008 01:50

yeah, none of the bay area stones as of Dec 06 had much in the way of boots - the amoebas, rasputins, guess too scared after too many busts. I saw just a very few.

And I will ask again, does anyone know whatever happened to Rather Ripped Records in Berkeley (used to be on north side of campus), they were great too if a little smaller.

u might just go up and down Telegraph Ave in Bezerkeley and in that area, maybe some nearby too. might be little stores.

frankly, i found greenwich village in nyc to have much more in the way of boots, in fact, i would say quite a large stock.

p

Date: September 21, 2008 01:51

oh, and if u go near Union Square, be sure and stop by the San Fran Art Exchange and see their stones stuff including those new prints of ronnie's.

also fotos by bill wyman and others.

p

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: September 21, 2008 04:11

Too bad Village Music in Mill Valley has closed its doors after 40 years. However Mill Valley Music at 320 Miller Avenue is keeping the tradition alive. Gary Scheuenstuhl, who worked with John Goddard at Village Music for 25 years, runs the place and is really knowledgeable.

That's if you happen to head north over the Golden Gate Bridge into marvelous Marin!

Date: September 21, 2008 21:03

Sarah

See [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 22, 2008 00:22

A really good record store I liked so much is DOWN HOME MUSIC STORE in El Cerrito, Go there!!
A great selection of vinyls and cd´s all kind of music and specially music IORR members love, go there, When I lived in San Francisco spend lots of time listening and buying records,
here´s their website, [www.downhomemusic.com]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:35

Thanks for all the tips - we hit Amoeba and it was pretty amazing, but you're right, not many boots, just saw the DVD Charlie is my Darling and CS Blues.

Found a good upscale hole in the wall Italian Rest in North Beach called Ideale on Grant St.

John

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 22, 2008 12:04

Go to that store in El Cerrito, lots of boots over there

Carlitos
Tenerife

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home