Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot: Plant: "Zeppelin has never been about the fans."
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 19, 2008 12:27

Well, this is kind of a drag. Seems like Plant just doesn't want to deal with all of the logistics in putting on a large-scale tour:

[uk.news.launch.yahoo.com]

Re: ot: Plant: "Zeppelin has never been about the fans."
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 19, 2008 13:15

So what's the BIG problem? The "Plantman" can HIRE somebody to deal with all those stacks and stacks of paperwork/bureaucracy sh*t.... Did the late Peter Grant have any kids that can help out ???.... Man, does anybody remember LAUGHTER ??? Damn...

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 19, 2008 16:52

"Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans. We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms."

Wow, Robert...talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Nevermind anybody remembering laughter, does Plant remember that it's those very fans who took him from being a nobody Brummie blues belter to six nights at the Forum????

Blaming the 'bureaucracy' is a bit of a cop-out, I think...surely the Zeppelin boys have decent management to take care of that kind of stuff (though not like the old days of Peter Grant and Richard Cole, of course...)- why doesn't Plant just focus on singing the damned songs one last time for a king-hell massive payoff?

Good lord...I bet if Mick or Keith made remarks like Plant's they'd be bleedin' crucified!!!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 19, 2008 17:04

What a cop out. If he doesn't want to tour, he ought to just say so. Paperwork? That's no excuse, that's what managers and personal assistants are for.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 19, 2008 17:12

"Wow, Robert...talk about biting the hand that feeds you. "

Too true. But then again, isn't Robert Plant the reason that LZ's Live Aid performance was omitted from the DVD and the reason we've never seen Earls Court etc given a full official release.

LZ is history for him. Except when it suits do a few numbers as encores at his live shows. What a tw@t.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 19, 2008 17:15

As much as I would like to see a tour, it seems that Plant is impressed and in love with himself more than anything else!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 19, 2008 17:18

Hi Scott,

Will I hear back from you?
best

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: September 19, 2008 17:24

How can he give a remark like this?! ! angry smiley

Date: September 19, 2008 17:32

Hi CousinC. I dont remember seeing an email from you. Maybe it got listed in junk or spam for some reason? Put something Stones related in the subject so I'll catch it! Also how long ago was it-I had some server problems last wk.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 19, 2008 18:19

I understand his remark to mean that Led Zeppelin rocked and people liked it.
They shrugged it off and rocked some more and more people liked it.
They took a break and came back rocking and even more people liked it.
Then they lost their heartbeat in 1980 and couldn't rock...only replicate.
Now it would just be a dumbed down hit parade for the fans and not about the original integrity of the rock.

To be the rock and not the roll...

Date: September 19, 2008 19:43

Robert Plant is in love with nobody but himself. He probably can't even keep his hands off his own prlck. News flash Robert...the golden god died many moons ago!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 19, 2008 20:03

wait a minute....you CAN keep your hands off your own prick?

well done.

I think the quote is lame, but also has to be taken in context or "read between the lines" or something....

I imagine what he is saying is that the band never cared about "commercial success" or "stardom" but rather about making music they were stoked about and proud of...that is, they never cared if the fans/press loved their albums or hated them...what mattered was that the band loved it....

I'm not saying it justifies the comment & that Plant isn't an egomaniac...but, just trying to get to the heart of the matter & maybe see another angle.

On that note....I think the "paperwork" thing is a cop-out as well. There's likely more to the story.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 19, 2008 20:09

stickyfingers101
wait a minute....you CAN keep your hands off your own prick?

Yeah it's possible. In fact I tried it one day. Everything was fine until I had to pee.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 19, 2008 20:26

Ok heres my tuppence worth on Robert Plant.

My wife and I had tix to see him in St Louis when we were there in June. We had travelled from Scotland to visit my (American) wife's parents, and the Plant gig was a deciding factor when we were picking the dates.

Anyway we turned up at the gig (a two hour drive) to find an A4 poster in the window of the Fox theatre announcing that the gig was cancelled, sorry rescheduled! Because Plant had decided he wanted to shoot a DVD at the venue. The new date was to be Sept.
By the time we landed back in Scotland a week later we got an e-mail announcing that the revised date had been scrapped as Plant had decided not to bother making a DVD after all.

Love the mans music. Can't warm to him as a person. He always brags about how he "keeps it real", but he strikes me as a twat.

Sorry if I posted something along these lines here at the time - I fear I did.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 19, 2008 20:46

I always thought Plant was the reason for no reunions. Even before this happening I must admit that I suported the idea of Page, Jones and Jason Bonham going on without him. Of course it's nearly impossible to replace "the" singer but I'm hoping there's an unknown guy that can be as dynamic and powerful as a "younger" Robert Plant to replace him. It could maybe work, I believe. Sidenote I can't stand his latest outing. Kind of reminds me of Richie Blackmore trying to somehow top his past legacy. Can't these guys be satisfied being the Gods that they are?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 19, 2008 23:21

ohnonotyouagain
What a cop out. If he doesn't want to tour, he ought to just say so. Paperwork? That's no excuse, that's what managers and personal assistants are for.

Exactly. Did the Plant/Krauss tour just magicly organize itself?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 20, 2008 01:11

I can see him not wanting to do paperwork, but if you let assistants and managers do it for you...the artist usually gets ripped off. Sounds disillusioned.

Sounds like he would do the shows if the band could just show up before showtime and get it on instead of worrying about the logistics of an army sized crew, sponsorship commitments and production. He relishes the early days.

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 20, 2008 01:16

...and apparently the plot thickens:

"LED ZEPPELIN frontman ROBERT PLANT is to be given an ultimatum by his bandmates – join us on tour or we’ll replace you.

Zep guitarist JIMMY PAGE, bassist JOHN PAUL JONES and drummer JASON BONHAM have been busy recently rehearsing in West London’s Ritz Studio and using stand-in vocalists.

And one American singer has been so impressive the other band members are confident they could hit the road next year WITHOUT their iconic frontman.

Brummie-born belter Plant has refused to take part in any practice sessions as he is currently committed to his side project with country singer ALISON KRAUSS.

A source said: “Jimmy, Jason and John are determined a tour will go ahead next year.

“They’ve been rehearsing frequently in London and the band is really gelling.

There’s an American guy who has been standing in for Robert regularly and doing a great job.

“Obviously they want the original frontman to join them on the road but he still won’t commit.

“They will be finalising plans for shows over the next couple of months and will tell Robert that if he doesn’t want to be involved they will go ahead without him.”

While fans would be disappointed if Plant was not involved, the shows would still fill arenas worldwide.
Mighty

The band’s followers are among the most dedicated in rock and would jump at the chance to witness Page, Jones and original drummer JOHN BONHAM’s son Jason tearing through mighty rock classics such as Kashmir and Whole Lotta Love.

I understand Plant’s reluctance to revisit the past but the group’s one-off reunion show at London’s O2 in December was an incredible success.

The only shame was that more fans couldn’t witness it.

In that night’s post-gig euphoria Plant came round to his pals’ plan for more shows. But has since cooled on the idea.

If he does not take part it remains unclear whether the group will be allowed to use the name Led Zeppelin.

A version of classic American rockers THE DOORS, featuring guitarist ROBBY KRIEGER and keyboard player RAY MANZAREK, had to change their name in 2005 after the estate of late lead singer JIM MORRISON objected to them being called THE DOORS OF THE 21st CENTURY."

Courtesy of The Sun, 19 September 2008...now we all know what a, er, reputable 'source' The Scum can be but if there is even a hint of truth to this...things could get messy.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 01:40

ridiculous remarks from a man that knows he cant hack a world tour with zep , so he throws other people under the bus, what a pathetic disgrace

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:06

Plant has never been too reluctant to include a sample or reference to Zep on any of his solo albums now has he? He knows damn well he would be nothing but a former member of who, the Band of Joy, without the others who were well established musicians who gave him the opportunity to be a member of their elite group. Very sad indeed.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:26

Just my opinion but Page and Jones abilities playing instruments is probably on par with anything they've done in the past.

I don't think Plant can come anywhere near those high notes he used to hit singing - And he knows it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:20

Gotta step in...

Few of you seem to 'get it'.
He's an artist; still a real artist.
He cares about his music as a craft.

He's made the best album this year (Raising Sand w/ Alison Krauss) since any member of The Beatles, Dylan, The Who, Led Zeppelin or The Stones since... well since 2002's Dreamland.
Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have done what without Robert in the last 20 years?

Plant doesn't need Zeppelin, and I totally respect him as an artist for that.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:48

I'm sorry but if his solo works are so great then why are his set lists so heavily inundated with Zep tunes...hmmm?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 04:21

take note MICK

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 20, 2008 04:29

We can try to get into Plant's mind, but for me it's quite simple, If Plant is in, I go, if not I won't.

The only exception would be (and this doesn't seem to be the case) if Page, Jones and Bonham created something that wasn't Zeppelin.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 20, 2008 04:49

Here is a little more of oil on the "Plant" fire ;-)

Around 1:40 min he starts bashing the stones.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2008 04:58

jamesfdouglas
Gotta step in...

He's made the best album this year (Raising Sand w/ Alison Krauss) since any member of The Beatles, Dylan, The Who, Led Zeppelin or The Stones since... well since 2002's Dreamland.
Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have done what without Robert in the last 20 years?

All due respect,to each their own. But the Krauss thing is crap. I don't say this lightly and without having witnessed it firsthand. I have listened to much of this album and kept as open a mind as possible. I also saw the live show in Tahoe. Again,keeping as open a mind as possible. But in the end it's just crap. OK,bobby wants to explore american roots music. All well and good. Then FORGET,that you were ever a member of a band called Led Zeppelin and do your own thing. As I have said before,I also caught the last Plant solo tour after his last solo album,which was quite good. The setlist consisted of material from Plant's lastest solo album and LZ material. NOTHING from his previous solo albums. You can't have it both ways BOB. Trying to keep your "checkered" Led Zeppelin past at arms length,while milking it when it soots your needs.BS,if Page,Et all want to tour and perform LZ material I'm interested.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 20, 2008 05:02

Plant says
Led zeppelin
Ain't
Never
Touring

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 20, 2008 05:54

jamesfdouglas
Gotta step in...

I gotta agree with you on His Dreamland release....great stuff there.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: September 20, 2008 06:40

I rather think Plant enjoys the hero worship thing he gets from Union Station and all. And the Zep material sounds like Las Vegas supper club versions!(Only in my opinion which carries no more or less weight than any one else)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home