Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SNL 78
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 15, 2008 07:18

This may be old news: season 4 of "Saturday Night Live" is due out in Dec. That's the season w/the Stones appearance as well as Peter Tosh w/Mick. Found this:

Back in July we had the scoop that Saturday Night Live - The Complete 4th Season would be coming out on December 2nd. This morning Universal has confirmed that date with their official announcement for a 7-disc set on DVD. Video will be full screen, audio in English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, and the release is expected to have subtitles in English, French and Spanish. Cost will be $69.98 SRP.

Regulars this season continued to be the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players": Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi (in their final year on the show), Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris and Bill Murray. Don Novello ("Father Guido Sarducci") stepped up in front of the camera, too, and Al Franken was seen as well. Guest hosts during these 20 episodes were Steve Martin, Buck Henry (twice), Carrie Fisher, Fred Willard, Walter Matthau, Elliott Gould, Eric Idle, Michael Palin (twice), Margot Kidder, Cicely Tyson, Kate Jackson, Maureen Stapleton, Rick Nelson, Richard Benjamin, Gary Busey and the legendary Milton Berle.

Frank Zappa both hosted AND was the musical guest in one episode, and also doing that sort of double-duty were The Rolling Stones during the 4th year's season opener! Other musical guests this season included, among others, The Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, The Doobie Brothers, Devo, Talking Heads, Linda Ronstadt, Bette Midler, Kate Bush, James Taylor, Peter Tosh and Mick Jagger and The Blues Brothers (Aykroyd & Belushi). Rodney Dangerfield makes a short appearance in one sketch this year.

Re: SNL 78
Date: September 15, 2008 16:09

It was still a good show back then.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 15, 2008 16:27

Surprisingly, I still remember those episodes

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 15, 2008 19:50

This show has sucked for at least a decade. The last great cast was with Farley, Hartman, Spaid, etc. The musical guests have been pretty bad on the whole also. Nothing like the good old days.

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:19

The original "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" cast has never and never will be matched, nor has the show been anywhere near as good as it was from '75 to '79. Must admit that the Stones were awful that October night in '78...a real letdown after the week-long buildup.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:27

If they really want to tap into this Stones fan base, they should have a bonus section that features the Stones rehearsals.

PECMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:55

will the stones complete performance be included on this edition of snl ?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 16, 2008 02:54

luxury man
The original "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" cast has never and never will be matched, nor has the show been anywhere near as good as it was from '75 to '79.

I second that!
I stopped paying serious attention to SNL after '79.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 16, 2008 03:00

>will the stones complete performance be included on this edition of snl ?

Yes, it's the complete season, every episode in its entirety.

Date: September 16, 2008 03:21

Edith Grove
luxury man
The original "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" cast has never and never will be matched, nor has the show been anywhere near as good as it was from '75 to '79.

I second that!

Hopefully you tuned in occasionally to see Phil Hartley, Chris Farley, and Will Farrell.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 16, 2008 03:44

Lukester
Edith Grove
luxury man

I second that!

Hopefully you tuned in occasionally to see Phil Hartley, Chris Farley, and Will Farrell.

Yes, of course, but you know what? (Legal) drinking age came around for me in '79.
Come to think of it, I was spending more time running the streets than watching TV. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:03

Isn't the Rolling Stones 1978 SNL appearance the show where Mick was sick and the Stones sounded pretty bad? So are Stones fans or critics in for a treat or something anyway when this is released?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:06

Lukester
[

Phil Hartman you mean right?

the seventies SNL was definetley cool but my favorite time on that show is the late 80's and early 90's. the Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers era and early chris farley-adam sandler years.

later in the 90's till around the 2000-2001 season there were some really funny things too with Will Farrel and those guys.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 10:12 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:50

A bootleg DVD of the 78 SNL show pops up on eBay now and then

Date: September 16, 2008 18:40

ryanpow
Lukester
[

Phil Hartman you mean right?

Yep, I meant Hartman.......thanks ryan. He is one of my all time favorites......remember when he played Caveman Lawyer, or Frankenstein? Good stuff, good stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home