Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT:Led Zeppelin Trio Working On New Material
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2008 15:39

I'm sure this has already been posted in other threads, but it seems worthy of it's own separate discussion. What do you guys think about a possible Zeppelin album/tour without Plant's involvement?

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: OT:Led Zeppelin Trio Working On New Material
Date: August 27, 2008 15:45

For starters, do you think it would even BE Led Zeppelin? Or should they call it something else?

Date: August 27, 2008 15:49

If, sometime in the 1990s, Pete Townshend and John Entwistle had recorded and toured without Roger, would that have been The Who? I think maybe yes. Just barely, but yes, maybe.

Date: August 27, 2008 15:54

Then again, right now we've got the original guitarist and bassist from Black Sabbath touring with the band's 1980s replacement parts, Ronnie Dio and Vinnie Appice, and they're not calling it Black Sabbath. They call it Heaven and Hell. But it IS Black Sabbath, or at least, the Post-Ozzie 1980s version of Black Sabbath.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:06

no way, it would be a complete waste of time, btw does this mean there is trouble in paradise question mark

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:13

I think David Coverdale is likely available.

JR

Date: August 27, 2008 16:26

melillo
no way, it would be a complete waste of time.

Whose time? Theirs? Or ours? And why?

Zeppelin, like the Who, was basically a power trio plus a frontman. With Page and Jones, you've got two-thirds of that trio PLUS the son of the third guy, who, like Prince Charles, is turning into an old man while waiting around for his big chance.

When someone yelled out "Rock and Roll" at a Plant/Krauss concert, Robert said "That's all over now". Well, f___ him! Maybe it's over for him, but it's NOT over for Jimmy, JP, Jason, and millions of Zeppelin fans.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:30

Well if these guys want to keep playing music and Robert Plant wants to keep boffing country singers. Then they should go ahead. But I wouldn't call it Led Zeppelin. Maybe Page/Jones/Bonham. But everybody knows what type of music they will be playing.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:35

There's no Zeppelin without Plant. Simple as that.

Date: August 27, 2008 16:40

sweetcharmedlife
Well if these guys want to keep playing music and Robert Plant wants to keep boffing country singers. Then they should go ahead. But I wouldn't call it Led Zeppelin. Maybe Page/Jones/Bonham. But everybody knows what type of music they will be playing.

It would be to their credit if they chose not to call it Led Zeppelin, but they've got to know that MANY more people would happily spend MUCH more money if the tickets said LED ZEPPELIN on them. The power of a brand name is not to be underestimated.

Which brings up an interesting question: Who owns the name "Led Zeppelin"? Does Page have exclusive rights to use it as he sees fit? Or would Plant have the power to veto?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:47

Similar circumstances: I'd say Queen have successfully re-invented themselves. Few of my mates are Queen diehards but agree that Paul Rodgers has slotted in seemlessly without having to impersonate Mr.Mercury and putting his own spin on classic songs.
They also throw in a few Free numbers at the shows to boot.

That's not to say it'd work for a A.N.Other fronted Zeppelin.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:55

Paul Rodgers has slotted in seemlessly

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one. I thought you were serious for a minute there. drinking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 27, 2008 17:00

cant disagree more tatters, with all do respect

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 27, 2008 18:23

Elmo Lewis
Paul Rodgers has slotted in seemlessly

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one. I thought you were serious for a minute there. drinking smiley

I'm not. It's my Queen diehard mates that are. I'm more your Stones diehard type and I wouldn't want Rodgers replacing Mick! smiling bouncing smiley

Though I would agree on a commercial level the Queen/Rodgers union has been a success.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 27, 2008 18:23

I think they could get away with a new name - people will simply know who it is. They could call it Hammer Of The Gods and EVERYONE would know.

Chris Robinson would be good.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 27, 2008 18:27

The kids want their Page-Bonham and Jones!

Date: August 27, 2008 18:28

Plant will be there too soon...make no mistake!

Date: August 27, 2008 18:34

Plant is a whining old man who is above it all. He will never do it. He's a wuss.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 27, 2008 18:37

They should call it Led Zeppelin with or without Plant.
The "New" Black Sabbath had to call themselves Heaven and Hell becuse Sharon Osbourne didn't let them use BS.
Some Stones fans think that there's no Stones without Brian, so Led Zeppelin it is!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:14

audun-eg
They should call it Led Zeppelin with or without Plant.
The "New" Black Sabbath had to call themselves Heaven and Hell becuse Sharon Osbourne didn't let them use BS.
Some Stones fans think that there's no Stones without Brian, so Led Zeppelin it is!

The comments seem to suggest that without Mick (the singer) Keith, Charlie etc could still call themselves the Rolling Stones.
Oh yeh?
I mean even John Lennon realised you couldn't call 'em the Beatles without Paulie being in the band.

Finally, all credit to Plant that he has shown the balls to try out other genres...too many "artists" from Chuck Berry dowwnwards continue to regurgitate the same old material and style -presumably because:
a) that is all they are capable of
b) they just play safe and want to make as much dosh as they can

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:28

I think they should find a good singer and call themselves Led Zeppelin and play Zeppeling songs, no need for new material at this point.

I like Plant a lot, and I always catch him in concert and I really like what he has done over the years but I don't kid myself and I know that the Zep songs are the ones that I and most people in the crowd craves for. But if he's not coming back, good for him, that wont keep me from going to see who ever is on the line up.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:32

A Page/Jones project sounds like a good idea. Nice to see they want to make music. IMO, Jones is the key to their sound.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:37

They need Plant more than he needs them.

Date: August 27, 2008 19:40

If Plant had died and they wanted to continue then calling it Led Zep would be normal (like AC/DC). But that is not the case.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:53

I'd like to hear what they can come up with. I'm not a Zep fan at all, but it's still interesting.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:59

Plant seems to do plenty of Led zep songs in his setlist with Alison K, and he did so with Page/Plant as well. Sure he produces some great stuff post-Zeppelin; better than Page. That must make the "cover band" tour as I have heard him quoted saying, more difficult to accept.

I read this interview as saying that they are putting material togther now, and will be playing it for a year or so. It's a bit like Mick/Keith writing stuff; then Charlie comes along and builds on it; Ronnie finally (I guess with Darrell and Chuck etc.) adds some stuff and you have a record - then on the road. Given that Jones and Page wrote much of the Led Zep stuff (Jones involved in most of the final album) who knows.

great to speculate on another band in the vein of "when will they record; when is the next tour".... you couldn't do that for long with, say, Dylan!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 27, 2008 20:14

No way should they call it Led Zeppelin without Plant. Hopefully all three of the original members and Bonham will get together and tour as Zeppelin. If not, get another singer and call it something else.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 27, 2008 20:41

Elmo Lewis

Exactly

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 27, 2008 23:24

Lukester
Elmo Lewis

Exactly

I beg to differ with you guys. I don't care what they call it. But if I had my choice of listening to Jimmy Page play guitar with a different lead singer or hear Robert Plant sing bluegrass.. Well give me guitars anyday...But I'm sure Robert's next tour with Kelly Pickler will be a huge success.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2008 23:43

They should get on with it...
call it "Less (Than) Zeppelin"

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1669
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home