Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 36
Re: Photo thread - TOTA '75 Only--New Mission
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2008 07:21

...................Ken Regan

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 14, 2008 07:23

love the Montauk shots-Keith's newfangled digital LED watch -- this house still stands today--five minutes from the Memory Motel

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2008 07:34

Mick Jagger 75 - Annie Leibovitz

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 14, 2008 10:38

Presumably from Cleveland by John Rockwood:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 12:58 by Britney.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 14, 2008 12:56

Britney, the photo credit on the site says John Rockwood took that one, right?
it's an excellent policy to preserve that information when we're re-posting photos.

Date: September 14, 2008 13:00

with sssoul
Britney, the photo credit on the site says John Rockwood took that one, right?
it's an excellent policy to preserve that information when we're re-posting photos.
Thanks. Just credited the pic to Rockwood.

Date: September 14, 2008 13:04

for the New Mission ... here's one from Toronto
update: the gallant Erik_Snow has confirmed that it's from the june 17th show - thanks Erik!

- Toronto june 17th 1975 by David Brown, courtesy of Shad

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 17:11 by with sssoul.

Date: September 14, 2008 13:09

with sssoul
for the New Mission ... here's one from Toronto - i believe it's the june 18th show,
but if one of our TOTA experts can confirm or correct that, that will be cool

- Toronto june 18th (? or 17th) by David Brown, courtesy of Shad

Bill Wyman seems to have a habit of dissapearing from pics. Hope this one helps to find the right date:

Date: September 14, 2008 13:15

thanks Britney - as you see i posted the complete shot. good that people watermark these things, isn't it :E

>> to find the right date <<

... Keith was wearing a white shirt on the other night

>> to post photos and see them all over the web without any credits to photographer,
nor to the person who scanned it (not me in this case) is not that nice <<

Erik honey, i know the feeling! [passing popcorn] :E
i believe it was Gypsy who posted those great Kansas City shots on Rocks Off

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-17 22:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 14, 2008 13:42

with sssoul
thanks Britney - as you see i posted the complete shot. good that people watermark these things, isn't it :E

... Keith was wearing a white shirt on the other night:

>> to post photos and see them all over the web without any credits to photographer,
nor to the person who scanned it (not me in this case) is not that nice <<

Erik honey, i know the feeling! [passing popcorn] :E
i believe it was Gypsy who posted those great Kansas City shots on Rocks Off

Yes, yes it was "gypsy", now that you mention it; I usually include the credits in the name of the photo....but forgot about it in this case.
BTW it's possible that the last photo on last page was not KC, so I removed it. I shouldn't glue up things when I don't have books/magazines with me, to compare.

Yes those watermarks serves it's purpose, with Sssoul...it seems to be the only way to get credits preserved.

Hey it looks like Keith is preparing breakfast in the scum shackle there, Rock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 13:43 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 14, 2008 13:57

Erik_Snow
with sssoul

... Keith was wearing a white shirt on the other night:
So it is definitely the 18th show?

Date: September 14, 2008 13:59

>> So it is definitely the 18th show? <<

... one of them is definitely the 17th and the other is definitely the 18th
update: thanks Erik_Snow for sorting out which is which!
(Keith was in zebra on june 17th and in white on june 18th)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 17:14 by with sssoul.

Date: September 14, 2008 14:13

with sssoul
>> So it is definitely the 18th show? <<

... one of them is definitely the 17th and the other is definitely the 18th (unless Keith changed shirts in mid-show, that is).
i'm not 100% sure which is which - as i've noted, i think the zebra shirt was the 18th

Jagger was wearing this on June 17th (if memory serves): [www.flickr.com]
Don't have access to stuff to double check here, but I think the zebra photos are from the June 17th.Sorry for not being able be 100% certain, right now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 15:16 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 14, 2008 16:12

>> Jagger was wearing this on June 17th (if memory serves) <<

thanks Erik! i've seen some Toronto shots where Mick was in a red bolero-type jacket with the hat -
i guess he changed from that kimono thing to the jacket (or vice versa) during the show?

anyway the Toronto photos i've seen show that Mick was in red on the night Keith had on the zebra shirt;
on the night Keith had on a white shirt, Mick was wearing those white "pajamas" with the black pinstripes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 16:38 by with sssoul.

Date: September 14, 2008 17:02

with sssoul
>> Jagger was wearing this on June 17th (if memory serves) <<

thanks Erik! i've seen some Toronto shots where Mick was in a red bolero-type jacket with the hat -
i guess he changed from that kimono thing to the jacket (or vice versa) during the show?

anyway the Toronto photos i've seen show that Mick was in red on the night Keith had on the zebra shirt;
on the night Keith had on a white shirt, Mick was wearing those white "pajamas" with the black pinstripes.

Yes the bolero type outfit is from the very same show...just a bit later on in the same show. In other words the; the famous "Michael Jackson"-shot of Jagger in red, comes from the first Toronto show - while the pyjamas was used on June 18th. But this is from memory, as I can't cross-check these things right now.
So: The Zebra and Michael Jackson was on stage the first night, while the pyjamas came the next day.
There's a magazine-scan in Jean Marie's TOTA book, dated June 18th - which shows the red Jagger.....(that's the only 75 item I have with me here) And a magazine published on June 18th can't feature a photo taken the very same day.....so it looks like my memory was correct, for once

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 17:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 14, 2008 17:09

cool - thanks Erik!
i shall go back and edit my posts so as not to confuse future readers

Date: September 14, 2008 17:15

THANKS ALL!

Left to cover:
FIFTH AVENUE - DONE
MONTAUK - DONE
Kansas City, MO DONE!
Saint Paul, MN
Boston, MA
Cleveland, OH DONE
Buffalo, NY
Toronto, ON DONE
Largo, MD
Memphis, TN
Dallas, TX
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Fort Collins, CO
Bloomington, IN
Atlanta, GA
Greensboro, NC
Jacksonville, FL
Louisville, KY
Hampton, VA

ONWARD!

Date: September 14, 2008 17:20

JUST 15 MORE CITIES

Posted by: rod ()
Date: September 14, 2008 19:51

hi!
some years ago i've seen a beatiful pic about '75 tour from air...
can anybody post that if possible?

Re: Photo thread - TOTA '75 Only!
Date: September 14, 2008 23:00

schillid
HEILOOBAAS
Mickette looks like Sandra Bernhard.

Doesn't she have titties?

Stop! Or I shall blame YOU! if I start having dreams about females and their mammary glands... would you like to dream of sucking dick?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 15, 2008 06:50

Rockman

...................Ken Regan

What is he cooking? Are those eggs?
I remember those watches, too. They were cool at the time...
but you needed two hands to tell the time!

Date: September 15, 2008 06:56

hbwriter
love the Montauk shots-Keith's newfangled digital LED watch -- this house still stands today--five minutes from the Memory Motel

So who owns the house now? It was Warhol's, right?
Private owner now or still in the Warhol estate?
Also, did Ampeg make those quasi-psychadelic amp covers
or did someone else?

Date: September 15, 2008 07:48

it was part of the warhol estate--still controlled by them as i recall when i saw it

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 15, 2008 08:12

Nope -- the actual compund where the Stones rehearsed was owned by Paul Morrissey. It was on the market for several years with a $50 million price tag but he finally sold it last year for $30 million. The Warhol Foundation donated their chunk of it to a nature conservancy (it's a non-profit organization so they could not have sold it). Found this:

[www.easthamptonstar.com]

(01/18/2007) Eothen, the secluded, five-and-a-half-acre oceanfront retreat in the Montauk Moorlands known locally as the Church Estate, was sold on Jan. 9.Doug Kuntz

The secluded retreat known to Montaukers as the Church Estate, and to the world at large as the Warhol Estate, was bought on Jan. 9 by Millard Drexler, the chief executive officer of J. Crew, for just under $30 million.

The sale was made through the Prudential Douglas Elliman agency’s Manhattan office. According to Paul Morrissey, a film director who has owned the estate since 1971, the price was just under $30 million. He had asked $50 million in 2001.

Mr. Morrissey said on Friday that the estate came to bear the name of Andy Warhol by way of inaccurate reporting. In fact, he said, the artist rarely visited Eothen.

Anxious to correct the record, the filmmaker said that Mr. Warhol, with whom he collaborated, and whose affairs he helped manage until his death in 1987, “was merely an investor for a few years with a buyout clause. It was not the Andy Warhol Estate,” Mr. Morrissey said.

The sale to Millard (Mickey) Drexler, the chairman and chief executive officer of J. Crew, marks only the second time the property has changed hands since Richard E. Church of the Arm and Hammer Baking Soda family bought the land from the estate of Arthur Benson in 1898.

In 1905, a single fishing cottage was built; it was used only a few months each year. It was replaced by five cottages designed by Rolf W. Bauhan, an architect and friend of Mr. Church at Princeton University. Eothen is Greek for “toward the east,” which the estate, located only a mile from Montauk Point, certainly is.

When Mr. Morrissey and Mr. Warhol bought it, the compound became the holiday retreat or studio of celebrities, including Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, her children, John and Caroline, her sister, Lee Radziwill, Elizabeth Taylor, Halston, Mick and Bianca Jagger (the Rolling Stones rehearsed there), Nicole Kidman, Julian Schnabel, Bruce Weber, and Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York.

The property totaled 22 acres at the time of the 1971 purchase. Mr. Morrissey got five and a half acres and the houses, and Andy Warhol owned 15 and a half acres of open land, which were donated to the Nature Conservancy as a preserve after his death.

“I thought it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen,” Mr. Morrissey said, remembering the rainy day when a realtor, Tina Fredericks, drove him, Mr. Warhol, and several friends down the dirt road past the Deep Hollow Ranch to five white Colonial Revival style cottages beside the sea.

On Friday, Ms. Fredericks also recollected the day: “Andy was renting a place in Southampton. It was rainy. They were trying to kill a rainy day. Andy had a Polaroid camera. He was using it all over the car as we drove. We drove out to Further Lane and then out to Montauk.”

“Andy was bored. He didn’t really look at anything until he saw the Memory Motel in Montauk. They saw Church’s and bought it for $225,000. Instantly, like love. They say Andy didn’t spend much time there because his wigs tended to come off in the wind,” Ms. Fredericks said.

East Hampton’s veteran agent said she met Mr. Morrissey because of her former working relationship, and friendship, with Mr. Warhol. She was the art director at Glamour Magazine when Mr. Warhol appeared with his portfolio looking for work as an illustrator in the late 1940s.

“He did things overnight. Brilliant. I’ve become belatedly famous because I was the first to buy art from him,” she said. “I loved a sketch of an orchestra. I told him I’d like to buy it for the nursery. That was about 1949. I was pregnant at the time. I still have it,” Ms. Fredericks said.

“I had never been to Montauk before,” Mr. Morrissey said of Ms. Fredericks’s 1971 East End tour. “Church’s was one of a kind. I didn’t compare it to anything or run around thinking. I recognized it for what it was, like I’ve recognized people, good or bad, in making movies. I have good instincts for certain things,” he said, adding that he suspected the new owner possessed similar instincts.

“He seems to be a great guy who understood it immediately. His intention is to keep it exactly like it is. I think it might stay in the same hands for the next 50 or 100 years. It really does belong in the National Historic Register,” Mr. Morrissey said.

In addition to its five cottages, garage, and stable, Eothen includes 600 feet of beach and oceanfront naturally fortified by boulders and cobblestones. The main house has seven bedrooms and four fireplaces. The cottages were situated by the architect to capture views of the ocean. The three-inch-thick bluestone floors were fashioned from broken New York City sidewalks.

Mr. Morrissey said he was in possession of original blueprints and estate records that he intends to donate to Princeton, where Mr. Church and Mr. Bauhan studied just after the end of World War I. Mr. Bauhan belonged to the school of architecture’s first graduating class.

Mr. Drexler could not be reached for comment. Before taking the helm at J.Crew in 2003, the 61-year-old retail merchant served first as president and then as C.E.O. of the Gap, beginning in 1987, and before that of Ann Taylor.

As for the former owner, he said he planned to return to Montauk next summer. “I’d like to stay and rent something. The eastern tip of Long Island is not condoed,” Mr. Morrisey said.

“Montauk is so beautiful, superior to the Hamptons. People in Montauk can walk to the beaches. Where else would you go in the summer months? Europe is horrible, congestion, no nature. They’re like sardines on the beaches. Savannah, Ga., is solid condos. It looks like they’re facing an invasion.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-15 08:19 by Glam Descendant.

Date: September 15, 2008 08:16

wow, it sold? i saw it in the 90s--true Warhol rarely was hardly ever there, but everyone out there referred to it as his place--I guess that sounds better than the "Paul Morrissey estate" smiling smiley
tell you what--those houses were not big at all--but the one where the band rehearsed was probably biggest cottage

i think dick cavett has a place out there as well

Date: September 15, 2008 08:17

and the place where mick put his hand through the glass door is still in biz!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 15, 2008 08:18

Here's a more interesting article on the property printed in the NY Times just a few months before it sold (click link for photos):

[www.nytimes.com]

September 8, 2006
The Unsold Warhol

By VALERIE COTSALAS

ON the eastern tip of Long Island, 120 miles from Manhattan, the morning light shines first upon the Montauk Moorlands, a brooding wind-blown range of craggy bluffs where ocean waves curl and crash against the rocky shore more than 30 feet below.

It’s an extreme place compared with the rest of Long Island’s South Fork, which is better known for its privet-hedge-entombed mansions (both old and McNew) to the west and the blue-chip summer homes on Further Lane in East Hampton that sell at eye-popping prices — $25 million, $30 million, $43 million — even when the real estate market elsewhere is soft.

But stark Montauk has always been a draw for the congested souls of artists, writers and musicians who seek the edge. So it’s no surprise that Andy Warhol, a master of extremes, felt a kinship with Montauk’s topography and lack of pretension. But he also shared Montauk with the hippest and the hottest names of his time: Halston, Liza Minnelli, Elizabeth Taylor, the Rolling Stones.

And that’s just a small part of the Who’s Who that once lounged at Eothen, then a 20-acre estate in a valley amid the moors that Warhol and his manager and film collaborator at the time, Paul Morrissey, bought for about $225,000 in 1971. Mr. Morrissey still owns 5.6 acres of the estate, with a compound of five homes, a stable and a three-car garage. The whole windswept collection, with 600 feet bordering the Atlantic Ocean, is for sale for $40 million.

It would be more accurate, though, to say that the property is still for sale. The price came down this summer from $50 million in 2001 (later lowered to $45 million) and now awaits a visionary buyer at a cool $10 million discount.

The revolving door of top East End real estate agents who have struggled with the listing the last five years includes Tina Fredericks, the broker who sold Mr. Morrissey and Warhol the property 35 years ago.

In 1971, Warhol was bored with being driven around to see houses and spent most of the time snapping Polaroids of other people in the car, Ms. Fredericks recalled recently. But he perked up as he noticed the “sort of funky air” of the village of Montauk and the Memory Motel.

The village is still a place untouched by Citarella or the pool-blue awning of Tiffany & Company, a rugged fisherman’s town where shark-fishing competitions are promoted on signs near the entrance to the village.

Eothen lies outside the village, up a winding dirt road that ends on a 30-foot cliff that overlooks the Atlantic. “I just remember him liking it immediately and buying it — boom, like that,” together with Mr. Morrissey, Ms. Fredericks said. But Warhol didn’t visit often, she said. “He had a lot of problems with the wind, which took his hairpiece off.”

PERHAPS because of the effect on his famous silver wigs (one sold in June at auction for $10,800) combined with the artist’s fair skin, Mr. Morrissey said, Warhol wasn’t much of a beachgoer. Initially, he “wasn’t interested in the house, he was interested in the investment end of it, I would say,” Mr. Morrissey said. “Although he got to love the house.”

The men were in the process of dividing the property — about 15 acres would go to Warhol, and the rest, including a compound of oceanfront houses, to Mr. Morrissey — when Warhol died in 1987 after gall bladder surgery. The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts later donated the 15 acres to the Nature Conservancy, which created the Andy Warhol Preserve in 1993.

But even with its storied history as a retreat for the in-crowd of the 1970’s and 1980’s — add to the guest list Lee Radziwill; her sister, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis; the artist Julian Schnabel; and the countless models and actresses who rested their lean, weary selves at Eothen — the houses on the compound are too rustic, many brokers say, to bring $40 million.

“It’s charming, it’s nice, it has a cachet to it, but you’re not getting $40 million or $50 million for it,” said Paul Brennan, an agent at Prudential Douglas Elliman and manager of the firm’s Hamptons offices. Mr. Brennan previously listed Eothen at $45 million but found that buyers who could spend that kind of money wanted more convenience and less risk should they want to resell it in the future.

The five blue-shingled houses were designed to resemble a camp, Mr. Morrissey said, but with the best workmanship money could buy when they were built in 1931 for the Church family, descendants of a founder of the Church & Dwight Company, makers of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. There are 15 bedrooms in all, 7 in the main house.

But to hear real estate agents speak of them, the houses of Eothen are hobbit huts compared with what that big money can buy on Further Lane in East Hampton or Gin Lane in Southampton — the Fifth and Park Avenues of Long Island’s East End.

Mr. Morrissey’s homes (he stays in the caretaker’s cottage when renters are there; Warhol preferred the third cottage west of the main house) were designed with plenty of doors and corridors for ocean winds to whistle through, bearing the smell of the salt and sea into the wood-panel rooms.

“You feel the breeze?” Mr. Morrissey said, the wind riffling the brim of his cotton bucket hat as he sat at a table on the patio between the cottages. “This you can’t capture in a photograph, no matter how many times you photograph it.”

Just then, a tall blond man, looking as if he had sauntered off the page of a Ralph Lauren catalog, walked out of the main house and greeted him. Encounters with summer renters were one of the few times Mr. Morrissey smiled during an hourlong visit on a recent afternoon.

He bristled at too many questions about Warhol and peered at his watch when asked for tales of celebrity high jinks. “People didn’t come here for big parties,” he said. “People basically came here to relax. It’s a place you come to for nature, for a breeze, for beautiful scenic things.”

On the other hand, Montauk residents still recall the summer when the Rolling Stones rehearsed songs from the “Black and Blue” album, including “Memory Motel,” in the main house.

It’s hard to imagine the sound of the wiry rockers with their amps and electric guitars belting out “Memory Motel” beneath the animal trophy heads, mounted elk antlers and the big dead fish above the fireplace mantel in the living room. There’s another fireplace at the other end of the room, aged bluestone slabs for floors and a vaulted ceiling lined with exposed beams.

Mr. Morrissey has kept many of the nightstands, beds and desks that came with the house. In line with the spare style of the homes, they were originally from the nonprofit Val-Kill furniture factory in Hyde Park, N.Y., which was started by Eleanor Roosevelt in the 1930’s to provide work for local people.

The other cottages have similar old-salt décor: brick herringbone-pattern floors and walls and ceilings lined with rich wood paneling and built-in shelves.

But for $40 million, buyers want “satin sheets and ice makers and Sub-Zero refrigerators and flat-screen TV’s, built-in pools,” Mr. Brennan said. “If he would sell it for $25 million, I could sell it for him.”

Calvin Klein, the magazine publisher Jann Wenner, Ralph Lauren and the hotelier and developer Ian Schrager have all passed on the house, Mr. Brennan said. “And they all like that kind of rustic stuff, but the price tag was just too much.”

Tony Cerio, an agent at Brown Harris Stevens who is now listing the property, said 600 feet on the ocean is Eothen’s “big value.” It is also built upon solid rock, he said, and doesn’t experience the kind of gouged-out erosion seen on higher bluffs.

Most real estate agents agree that the real selling point is the estate’s singular eastern oceanfront location.

The houses atop the bluffs at Eothen, an ancient Greek word that means “at first light,” could never be built today under the Town of East Hampton’s zoning laws, including requirements that each house be on a minimum of 10 acres and set back at least 100 feet from the water.

And nothing can be built around them — in addition to the Warhol preserve, the area is next to more than 100 acres of New York and Suffolk County preserves and parkland.

“It is really one of a kind in many respects,” said Htun Han, a partner at the Hamptons Realty Group in East Hampton. “You’ve got all that privacy, and it’s absolutely drop-dead beautiful.”

Still, “as much as it’s absolutely stunning,” he said, switching his tack as do many agents who try to gauge Eothen’s value, “it’s stark, and really a very raw beauty.”

Neighbors — Dick Cavett, Paul Simon and Mr. Schnabel among them — are in houses small in the distance and sitting on their own remote bluffs. Mr. Cavett’s house, set back on the higher bluffs to the west, was carefully rebuilt after a 1997 fire and is one of seven Montauk Association homes — Shingle-style cottages designed in the late 1800’s by Stanford White.

Some, like Mr. Schnabel, who restored another Association home, first discovered the area as guests at Eothen. “I’m surprised that Julian Schnabel didn’t buy it,” Ms. Fredericks said. “He rented Eothen for a long time.”

The buyer who pays anywhere near $40 million for Eothen is likely to see the beauty in the Colonial Revival buildings and in their rugged Montauk surroundings, she said.

“The materials are very real and honest; it wasn’t built for show,” she said. “If you like the location and you’re really looking for privacy, that’s certainly it.”

Stop In and Bring Liza and Liz

ON Friday, June 24, 1983, Andy Warhol and Halston were on a twin-engine plane flying to Montauk, where Halston rented a house on Warhol’s Eothen estate.

The “ride was fast and beautiful — the moon was coming up full, and we flew over all the big houses,” Warhol recalled to his personal assistant, Pat Hackett, who included the remarks in “The Andy Warhol Diaries.”

The next day in Montauk, Warhol lamented that Liza Minnelli “doesn’t come out anymore — she and Halston are still not on good terms. Because she didn’t wear Halston to the Oscars.”

That entry ends: “But Liz Taylor will be coming out to visit Halston in Montauk soon.” At the time she was on Broadway in “Private Lives” with Richard Burton.

Snapshots of an Artist

IF you’re on the way to Montauk and want a vivid glimpse of Andy Warhol and his jet set, Guild Hall in the village of East Hampton is showing 100 of Warhol’s celebrity prints, Polaroid photographs, films and drawings through Oct. 22. The Polaroids, interesting 1970’s artifacts in and of themselves, include snapshots of the artist Jean-Michel Basquiat in his jagged braids, a 1974 shot of the fashion designer Halston, and Truman Capote with his signature hat and cigarette. Guild Hall is at 158 Main Street, (631) 324-0806; www.guildhall.org.

Date: September 15, 2008 08:34

Glam--very cool--thanks

Date: September 15, 2008 08:35

So did the band stay there and rehearse there?
Or was just a rehearssal place and they stayed in a nearby town in a hotel?

Date: September 15, 2008 08:40

they all stayed there, based on all i've heard--bebe buell even told me she was coptered out there to keep mick company a few times during rehearsals--and was put up (alone) in one of those cottages.they were in town a lot drinking and playing pool, but at the complex they were under heavy guard (with police dogs and patrol boats)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home