Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 36
Re: Photo thread - TOTA '75 Only--New Mission
Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: June 22, 2009 01:36

a Montaulk rehearsals pic

Date: June 22, 2009 01:44

and this one a creem mag pic is , i'm quite sure backstage from the dallas show (I've a newspaper pic from the dallas show where once can see the jagger outfit ... but specially charlie shirt, i have to find the photo and post it later

Date: June 22, 2009 01:52

Jean Marie where did you find that Montauk picture? Love it; they look,like they are freezing their ass off; except Mick and Keith of course. They are not human.
I do think the following picture might be Dallas because I know it from Keith's shirt; love that shirt. he wears it in another Creem spread.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 22, 2009 04:19

the Montauk shot was in People mag - shot by the great Ken Regan 0 love Mick's Pumas - totally trendy right then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 04:20 by hbwriter.

Date: June 22, 2009 08:15

looking at all of those toronto shots--i had to throw that recording on as I perused--

Posted by: curt ()
Date: June 22, 2009 12:04

First time seeing this thread so...

One from Memphis:

One from Greensboro:

One "new" one from Jacksonville:

This one from Boston appeared in "Rolling with the Stones":

But they used it in this fashion:

And another "new release", from Boston:

I also have Philadelphia and NYC, but it will be quite a while before I even see 'em...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 22, 2009 12:27

@Jean-Marie

Your Ken REGAN pic is awesome !
Never seen it before.
Many Thanks.
But I thought the fold spoiled a little the picture (It's not your fault of course)
I have the same problem, with some pictures taken from my magazines.
So, i've tried to delete it and here it is
Hope you'll like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 12:46 by Honestman.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 22, 2009 14:58

Great GREAT pics...

Re: Photo thread - TOTA '75 Only!
Posted by: R ()
Date: June 22, 2009 15:12

hbwriter
tech question--that shot of the stones waiting to go out on stage--when they go out carrying their guitars--is there a live plug waiting for them at their respective amps? dumb question i know, but i'm curious

In Cleveland (in 1975) Keith's guitar kept coming unplugged during "Happy" as he tried to reach the mike. Rather than finish singing the song and let Ronnie carry the guitar parts he kept going back, picking up the plug and reinserting it. The song ended essentially as an insturmental.

Date: June 22, 2009 16:51

Honestman
@Jean-Marie

Your Ken REGAN pic is awesome !
Never seen it before.
Many Thanks.
But I thought the fold spoiled a little the picture (It's not your fault of course)
I have the same problem, with some pictures taken from my magazines.
So, i've tried to delete it and here it is
Hope you'll like it!

yes, better quality like it

Date: June 22, 2009 17:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Jean Marie where did you find that Montauk picture? Love it; they look,like they are freezing their ass off; except Mick and Keith of course. They are not human.
I do think the following picture might be Dallas because I know it from Keith's shirt; love that shirt. he wears it in another Creem spread.

HB answer before me, yes this people magazinne :

Date: June 22, 2009 17:19

Cur--welcome to the party--great shots--thanks!

Date: June 22, 2009 17:31

Date: June 22, 2009 18:24

visually, for me this was the greatest tour they ever did - also, it was totally unprecedented, risky, adventurous - and amazingly, there were no horrific failures - people forget this was 1975 - shows like this simply had not been done before and the Stones pulled it off almost flawlessly, thus paving the way for major arena productions -

i know bowie had done diamond dogs but that was a theater tour - floyd had pushed the envelope, a few others as well--but nothing that approached the lotus, phallic balloon, rope swing, dragon - put this in perspective and it becomes arguably the most significant tour in history by anyone in terms of influence (we can debate whether it was good influence or not, but still smiling smiley

Agree?
Disagree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 21:54 by hbwriter.

Date: June 23, 2009 01:56

Two new from the Daily News in NY -- great Fifth Avenue shot - the other is from my first concert of all time - 6/22/75 - nyc (note the black glass necklace from the IORR bubble video)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-23 01:57 by hbwriter.

Date: June 23, 2009 04:15

i love those fifth ave moments--wish in every city they could have climbed aboard,cruised the city played a different tune each night and then put out a live album of all of them

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:41

Great stuff amigos ! Muchas gracias

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 23, 2009 06:55

hbwriter
visually, for me this was the greatest tour they ever did - also, it was totally unprecedented, risky, adventurous - and amazingly, there were no horrific failures - people forget this was 1975 - shows like this simply had not been done before and the Stones pulled it off almost flawlessly, thus paving the way for major arena productions -

i know bowie had done diamond dogs but that was a theater tour - floyd had pushed the envelope, a few others as well--but nothing that approached the lotus, phallic balloon, rope swing, dragon - put this in perspective and it becomes arguably the most significant tour in history by anyone in terms of influence (we can debate whether it was good influence or not, but still smiling smiley

Agree?
Disagree?

If I remember my rock history, I think the '72 tour was the first time any group toured with their own self-contained PA that they took to all the venues. Prior to that, it was whatever the facility had or what was rented locally.

If you're talking about the use of props on stage, Alice Cooper is the act that led the way on that front. The Stones' 1975 stage seemed like an attempt to keep up with the times, and not something they actually started.

I seem to recall either Dave Marsh or Greil Marcus writing in Rolling Stone in '75 about the stage, and saying that he hoped that the next time the Stones toured they would leave all the props behind and just show up on an empty stage, all dressed in black, with a single spotlight.

That,to me, would be real rock n roll.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: June 23, 2009 08:00

Best!Thread!Ever! I love the '75 tour. Visually top notch!

Date: June 23, 2009 08:12

loog--true about cooper - but i thought with the stage, the stones went for more than schtick - more like broadway grandeur - but i get your point

Bim - right on

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 23, 2009 16:35

I know what you're saying as far as production values of the Stones Jules Fischer-designed lotus stage, but when I think of "Broadway" what comes to mind is the tour that Alice Cooper did that year "Welcome To My Nightmare" which had stage sets, dancers, and a story line.

That was the first Alice Cooper "solo" tour--since prior to that "Alice Cooper" was the name of a band who had a lead singer with the same name.

That early version of Alice Cooper--in my opinion the only legit one--had used plenty of props like guillotines in their shows, which pushed rock concerts into the area of showmanship and provoked the line in IORR about "suicide right on the stage"

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: June 23, 2009 17:10

Curt [or anyone] if you have more Memphis '75 please share !
Pics from that show don't seem to be very common at all, so thanks.

Date: June 23, 2009 17:12

Loog--good points--maybe it's the largess of it all that was so far ahead of its time --i also think the bowie shows, also lit by jules fisher, were influential-jagger and bowie spent so much time running around together in nyc in '74 that one has to believe mick caught a show or two at radio city and was smitten with the advanced lighting methods

Date: June 23, 2009 18:38

loog droog
hbwriter

Agree?
Disagree?

If I remember my rock history, I think the '72 tour was the first time any group toured with their own self-contained PA that they took to all the venues. Prior to that, it was whatever the facility had or what was rented locally.

If you're talking about the use of props on stage, Alice Cooper is the act that led the way on that front. The Stones' 1975 stage seemed like an attempt to keep up with the times, and not something they actually started.

I seem to recall either Dave Marsh or Greil Marcus writing in Rolling Stone in '75 about the stage, and saying that he hoped that the next time the Stones toured they would leave all the props behind and just show up on an empty stage, all dressed in black, with a single spotlight.

That,to me, would be real rock n roll.

Actually you're wrong. The Who, from 1969, were taking their own PA on tour (which they developed with WEM music in England). They were the first to do this which is why in the '69-'71 era their live shows sounds leaps and bounds better than most other bands (who eventually caught up and did this...for instance it took Zeppelin until '73 to do this!)

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 23, 2009 18:41

IMHO,there had been nothing as large as far as the stage ,lighting etc,until The Stones 75 ,indeed Alice Cooper and Bowie had used fancy stages,with broadway ideas ,but to me that wasn't Rock and Roll,the thing with 75 stage was that it was a compliment to the music bein played ,it was sexy,l mean when they stated playing "Fanrare for the common man"and the lotus started to open up with Mick at the tip and Keith hitting the fisrt notes to HTW it was orgasmic.
The stage was Rock Roll not a broadway show,it could be pointed out that on some of the later tours Steel Wheels comes to mind the stage was indeed overpowering the music.
75 imho was and still is the best Rock and Roll stage ever....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: June 23, 2009 18:45

ROPENI--agree and AMEN!

Date: June 23, 2009 18:46

ROPENI
IMHO,there had been nothing as large as far as the stage ,lighting etc,until The Stones 75 ,indeed Alice Cooper and Bowie had used fancy stages,with broadway ideas ,but to me that wasn't Rock and Roll,the thing with 75 stage was that it was a compliment to the music bein played ,it was sexy,l mean when they stated playing "Fanrare for the common man"and the lotus started to open up with Mick at the tip and Keith hitting the fisrt notes to HTW it was orgasmic.
The stage was Rock Roll not a broadway show,it could be pointed out that on some of the later tours Steel Wheels comes to mind the stage was indeed overpowering the music.
75 imho was and still is the best Rock and Roll stage ever....

Right on...and I consider it the last truly great Stones tour...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 24, 2009 00:21

A few more shots from those wonderfull nights.

The quality is not the best, but imo it shows the trill of those shows.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: June 24, 2009 03:47

Here's another pics taken by Claude GASSIAN
from French Magazine Rock'n'Folk #103 August 1975

Enjoy

HMN
winking smiley

Date: June 24, 2009 14:11

Bump !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home