Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which SAL to buy?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:39

I havn't seen the film or heard the CD but mu wife is buying it for my birthday next week.

On the Stones.com web site there's a choice of 2 which one do I get. 1. Shine a light DVD, 2, Shine a light Blue Ray
or there's talk of a special edition coming out next month, any idea's?

Re: Which SAL to buy?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:42

If you have a Blue Ray player and a HD Ready TV, then I think its a no-brainer.

Otherwise, the DVD would do just nicely! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 22, 2008 01:45

I'm not sure what a Blue Ray player or HD is so I suppose the DVD would be OK, does this have Paint it Black on it?

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:11

pgarof
I'm not sure what a Blue Ray player or HD is so I suppose the DVD would be OK, does this have Paint it Black on it?

Yes, it is included with the bonus material.

Date: August 22, 2008 04:14

If you're not sure what a Blu-Ray player is,then you probably don't have one and therefore would not be able to play the Blu-Ray disc which has higher resolution video and audio than the DVD does.

Date: August 22, 2008 08:41

Thanks for your help! I'll just get the standard DVD. Can't wait to play it as I wanted to see the film but for all sorts of reasons couldn't get there.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2008 17:51

I have a Blue Ray player as I have a Playstation 3, but haven't bothered with buying films etc as of yet. There seems to be a lack of choice and they're quite expensive.

I'll be buying it on DVD.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 22, 2008 17:57

Blu-ray is nothing but a marketing scam as far as I'm concerned. Every few years they come out with something that has "higher resolution." I mean seriously, how high can the resolution get, and at what point does the higher resolution become undetectable to human eyes and ears? I can see and hear the DVDs I have now just fine, thank you very much.

Date: August 23, 2008 02:44

I've just been out to try and get it but have been told it's not out in England for 2 more weeks. I thought it came out in July?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 03:00 by pgarof.

Date: August 23, 2008 09:12

playstation 3 can play blue ray if you don't have a blue ray player. my question here is, is the sal in blue ray truly hi def. some older dvd's have been re-released in blue ray but are not true hi def. it has to be filmed with a hi def camera to my understanding, not just redone in blue ray.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 23, 2008 09:35

Marty did a great job with the cameras. It's a shame they couldn't have filmed whole concerts with the Stones like this back in the 70's. The DVD is great, even on my computer.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 23, 2008 11:50

>> I thought it came out in July? <<

it came out in North America in july. the European release date is sometime in october.
if your dvd player isn't region-encoded ordering the US version should work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 12:47 by with sssoul.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 23, 2008 12:23

with sssoul
>> I thought it came out in July? <<

it came out in North America in july. the european release date is sometime in october.
if your dvd player isn't region-encoded ordering the US version should work.

It´s regionfree, at least the Blu-ray. Bear in mind when watching the Blu-ray version, it won´t be like "WOW!", concerning the picture, the original film is grainy in itself, since Scorsese went for the "documentary" look, so to speak. However, the sound options are what this release is all about, it has Dolby True HD and DTS-HD, if you have the right equipment to de-code them.

ohnonotyouagain wrote:
"Blu-ray is nothing but a marketing scam as far as I'm concerned. Every few years they come out with something that has "higher resolution."

I have to say that I think you are wrong, the only time since the introduction of the DVD that there has been a "upgrade" was when the superbit DVD:s entered the market. They increased the bit rate of the encoded video, resulting in that such things as commentary tracks etc were removed.
Now BluRay is about 5 times higher/better resolution than an ordinary DVD, since the discs can contain near 6 times the data (50GB ),compared to a regular DVD.
And they use a blue laser instead of red, since the blue works with shorter wavelength, resulting in that much more data can be read.

I´ve just started with Bluray, and one thing is for sure, my eyes don´t lie to me, it is way superior to anything I ever seen before.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 23, 2008 12:30

>> It´s regionfree, at least the Blu-ray. <<

Vilhelm honey, someone else posted that the North American dvd is coded for region 1
and that salespeople are even saying it has some sort of "super regional encoding"
which is either BS or not super enough to stop it from playing on region-free players.

Date: August 23, 2008 12:42

with sssoul
>> It´s regionfree, at least the Blu-ray. <<

Vilhelm honey, someone else posted that the North American dvd is coded for region 1
and that salespeople are even saying it has some sort of "super regional encoding"
which is either BS or not super enough to stop it from playing on region-free players.

Not true, I bought mine from the US, and it´s multiregion, A, B, C, wich covers the whole world, look here:
[www.hdmoviesource.com]
Maybe there is some other version out there that´s regioncoded just for the US, but I don´t see the point. In fact my copy of SAL don´t mention regioncoding anywere on the cover or the disc.

I can recommend this store, since it only took 3 days to ship from the US to Sweden. I bough 3 titles (SAL, Rambo IV and No Country For Old Men), and with shipping and all it came to 66 Euros,wich is way cheaper than buying them here in Sweden.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 12:44 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: August 23, 2008 12:43

>> Not true <<

but but Vilhelm honey: aren't you talking about the Blu-ray? i'm talking about the dvd.

Date: August 23, 2008 12:44

Oh, yeah, got a bit excited, my bad smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 24, 2008 22:42

mizzoumonkeyman29
my question here is, is the sal in blue ray truly hi def. some older dvd's have been re-released in blue ray but are not true hi def. it has to be filmed with a hi def camera to my understanding, not just redone in blue ray.

1. Yes, SAL in Blue Ray is indeed TRUE hi def. It looks and sounds exactly like it did in the theater.

2. A film does NOT have to be filmed on an HD digital camera in order to be hi definition. Take for example Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same. Its a classic movie shot on FILM, not a digital medium. When it is produced on VHS or DVD, it is dumbed down from its original resolution. It has to be reduced in order to fit on the medium. With HD, the film looks as crisp, if not more detailed with better color and better sound than it did when originally released in the theater.

I'm sure in 10 years there will be Ultra High Def (its already being talked about) but I seriously doubt any other format will ever be released. Blue Ray HD movies will be the ultimate in AV tech, just as vinyl is the ultimate in pure sound.

And yes, it IS worth the diference, but only if you have a decent sized HD TV. On a normal television or a small screen, you might not notice any difference aside from the price tag. On a good TV set, you'll be blown away. The bigger your HD tv, the more dramatic the difference between DVD and Blu Ray.

I'm not hyping it up, I'm just being honest.

See if you can tell which is high def...

Date: August 25, 2008 11:30

Big Al
I have a Blue Ray player as I have a Playstation 3, but haven't bothered with buying films etc as of yet. There seems to be a lack of choice and they're quite expensive.

I'll be buying it on DVD.

If you walk into a store and buy the DVD,it's $19.99 + tax which will make the total cost more than $21.00 in most places.

You can get the Blu-Ray disc from Tower Video (.com) over the internet or over the telephone FOR ONLY $23.86 + $2.30 in shipping charges.If you're patient and can wait a few days for shipping,you will be rewarded with better quality.Also,Circuit City HAD the Blu-Ray disc on sale in the $25-$27 range the first week after it was released.This is not much more than the DVD if you shop smartly.

Date: August 25, 2008 11:38

flacnvinyl
mizzoumonkeyman29
my question here is, is the sal in blue ray truly hi def. some older dvd's have been re-released in blue ray but are not true hi def. it has to be filmed with a hi def camera to my understanding, not just redone in blue ray.

1. Yes, SAL in Blue Ray is indeed TRUE hi def. It looks and sounds exactly like it did in the theater.

2. A film does NOT have to be filmed on an HD digital camera in order to be hi definition. Take for example Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same. Its a classic movie shot on FILM, not a digital medium. When it is produced on VHS or DVD, it is dumbed down from its original resolution. It has to be reduced in order to fit on the medium. With HD, the film looks as crisp, if not more detailed with better color and better sound than it did when originally released in the theater.

All of this must depend on what the old film's original resolution is.

Date: August 25, 2008 12:40

ohnonotyouagain
Blu-ray is nothing but a marketing scam as far as I'm concerned. Every few years they come out with something that has "higher resolution." I mean seriously, how high can the resolution get, and at what point does the higher resolution become undetectable to human eyes and ears? I can see and hear the DVDs I have now just fine, thank you very much.

This is just not true.I don't know why you use quotation marks around higher resolution.It's a stone cold fact that Blu-Ray discs are encoded with higher resolution video than DVD,VHS,BetaMax,or Laser Disc.It's also a fact that many Blu-Ray discs have uncompressed audio options compared to the compressed audio on DVD's.

The resolution of a VHS tape is roughly equivalent to 580 x 320 lines of resolution.The resolution of an NTSC DVD is 720 x 480 lines of resolution.A PAL DVD has 720 x 576 lines of resolution.A Blu-Ray disc has 1920 x 1080 lines of resolution.If you can't notice the difference on an HDTV of decent size (using HD cables),it may be time for LASIK eye surgery.

At what point does higher resolution video become undetectable to the human eye?They say at roughly 3840 x 2160 lines of resolution but,there is a sliding scale where the further you sit from your screen,the larger the screen you will need to see the difference.If they come out with anything of higher resolution than Blu-Ray discs in the future,you will need an enormous screen to notice any advantage unless you sat ridiculously close to it.(The screen or the TV set would also have to be capable of displaying the higher resolution.These displays are not currently commercially available.)For Blu-Ray,at an average viewing distance of 7.5 feet,you would need a 55 inch or larger set with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 to notice the full benefit or a 60 inch set at an 8.5 - 9.5 feet viewing distance.To notice some advantage,you would need a 40" set or higher (1024 x 720 native resolution or higher).

For audio,it is said that humans can hear 22 bit sound.CD's are 16 bits,DVD - Audio discs are 24 bits.DVD-Audio discs can fit the more advanced audio because there is little or no video on them unlike a movie DVD.

Back to the DVD's,one of the main reasons that they invented Blu-Ray discs is because people were buying all of these large screen HD TV's which were exposing the weaknesses of DVD's.The 720 x 480 video was being stretched to fill the 1920 x 1080 screens.It was time for the 1920 x 1080 sources.

Check flacnvinyl's post of the "Pirate of the Caribbean".Look at the red and black dice earrings,look at the ring on his finger.

Date: August 25, 2008 13:07

Here's the sliding scale viewing distance/screen size chart that I was referring to : [www.highdefforum.com] It's in the third post from the top if you click on the link.

Date: August 28, 2008 22:40

Why stop progress?Most people were content with the old 4:3 style TV's and cassette tapes not too long ago.That didn't stop engineers from developing improvements.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home