Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Keith Richards Live In Boston 13.2.1993 DVD - how good is it?
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 30, 2020 20:08

Palace Revolution 2000
Was Keith ever better live on guitar than on the second Wino tour?
With the Stones he was great in '78 and '81, but those were huge stadium shows. W/ the Winos he was in clubs, theatres.
And one could make the point that waddy is an even better partner for him that Ron Wood. Waddy has a good dose of Taylor in him, yet way more rhythmic chops than MT.

Always thought it was strange how much Keith had deteriorated between 93' with the Winos and 94' tour with the Stones, just not the same player, what could have possibly happened to him in one year, and at this time it wasn't his fingers.
It could well be that a lame Ronnie was doing nothing for his confidence as you suggest.
Part of me wishes Keith had toured again with the Winos, Waddy definitely brought the best out of him, and Steve Jordan gets the best out of him when it comes to song writing.

To be ultra critical Keith was showing some cracks and deterioration in 93' from 1990, he was on fire in 1990, soloing on songs like SFTD at a level never seen before or since.
I wonder sometimes if Keith just got bored with the Stones set lists and stopped improving as a player through frustration, he's a bit lazy and let's Mick take the reigns, possibly Keith gets more inspired around other musicians outside of the Stones but he'd never admit it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 20:18 by keithsman.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: October 22, 2020 16:37

Just watching this on you tube Something Else and How I wish? Just thinking how amazing if we get something of this quality in the new stones album 2020+

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2020 18:41

vertigojoe
Sounds like Keith playing the riff to “You got me rocking” over the end of “Something Else”

That's clearly the case, although the other way around. When I first heard it that my first thought was this is where he got the YGMR lick from.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 23, 2020 13:02

One of my Top 5 DVD's this one! I agree with with ssoul, the Köln show is great too but Keith is not himself. Boston is a gas!

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: October 23, 2020 16:03

being at the show in the 3rd row was great,I still have my wino's shirt.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 23, 2020 19:40

any chance to get this one uploaded on wetransfer ?
i have it on VHS but VHS player dead for a long time .....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 23, 2020 23:34

I like this show better than Hollywood palladium

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: October 24, 2020 08:46

Boston 93 is my favourite Winos DVD - a well oiled band firing on all cylinders.
I always wondered what had happened in Koelln.
The concert is good too, but Keith was not very amused.
Maybe he was not happy with the crowd, that seemed to expect a kind of Stones-greatest-hits-set.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2020 09:36

So, the general consensus is that Keith’s finger-condition developed, or deteriorated, during the period between the last Wino shows and the beginning of the Voodoo Lounge. Personally, I thought he performed terrifically from what I’ve heard from the the latter-mentioned period, but it’s undeniable: there’s a definite dip from his guitar-exploits during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle shows. The downturn has continued. He was still mostly excellent during the Bridges to Babylon Tour and, in retrospect, had some very fine moments during the Licks Tour. For me, the concern really came to the fore during the A Bigger Bang Tour. Yes, we can partly put the poor performances during ‘07 down to his accident, as he was better during the 2005 North American shows. He’s improved somewhat in recent years, although I, personally, attribute that to his positive lifestyle-changes. What is everyone else’s view?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 24, 2020 11:14

I would say the guitar god or riff master everyone is referring to is Keith in the late sixties and major parts of the seventies. I think the hubris and sloppiness started already on the 81/82 tour.
Although all his abilities were still maintained then.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2020 11:37

Stoneage
I would say the guitar god or riff master everyone is referring to is Keith in the late sixties and major parts of the seventies. I think the hubris and sloppiness started already on the 81/82 tour.
Although all his abilities were still maintained then.

I agree that his style evolved throughout the 70's and, indeed, there was more of a looseness and sloppiness during the late 70's - early-80's performances, but I'm focusing more on the coordination and dextral-issues that evidently became apparent during the 1990's. There's been inconsistences in his performance throughout - he's human, after all -, but what occurred later on is somewhat different and permanent.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 01:08

My theory, and I'm not a guitar player or anything:
In the 1969 to 1973 era Keith was really driving the train. He played furiously, his right arm was a piston and the rest of the band held on behind him. Even when he felt like slowing the pace down, he still played with huge power and energy. They followed him.
When Ronnie came along, the weaving thing allowed him to share the load. He had a guitarist who either covered for him just by instinct or because he was intimidated. Some of that stuff was really good. The Texas shows from 1978 that featured the Some Girls and the soul numbers were really good.
I don't know when, but somewhere along the line he lost control of the rhythm section. As much as they say Keith is driving the song, I think that for the past 20 or more years at least it's Charlie-Darryl-Chuck who dictate the tempo on most songs.
Keith plays the riffs, he plays accents, he plays color. This can be very good. But it's a different role. At worst, it's sort of like the Rolling Stones with Keith Richards guesting. Riffs and poses. In between stroll around and color the song.
I find this Boston show thrilling. I think it's better than the Steel Wheels tour. I'd even suggest he might have done better work if he'd left the band and formed bands like the Winos, you know, putting a new group together every few years.
On a personal level, though, I think the structure of the Stones kept him alive, and that's what he wanted to do, keep going with the Stones, so that's cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home