Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If the Stones continue to tour into real old age...
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2008 00:11

what songs could we expect them to play in say, 10 years time? Keith has said that there is no reason the Stones can't tour into old age, just like their blues mentors did/are still doing, as long as no other core members die. Obviously Jagger would have to quit his present stage routine of running around from side to side like a young buck. Would they ditch the faster numbers...or perhaps play them slower? Be interesting to hear what IORRs think because this is a real possibility.

Re: If the Stones continue to tour into real old age...
Date: August 14, 2008 00:20

1) Start Me Up
2) You Got Me Rocking
3) It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
4) Miss You
5) Tumbling Dice
6) Slipping Away
7) Sympathy For The Devil
8) Honkey Tonk Women
9) Brown Sugar
10) Jumping Jack Flash
11) You Can't Always Get What You Want
12) Satisfaction

The End ( despite the fact that tickets will be $ 850 to $2,500 by then )

Date: August 14, 2008 00:23

Jeez, Winning Ugly VXII - what drugs are they going to be on to play that kind of set? The warhorses rule until the end then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-14 13:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 14, 2008 00:35

I wish I could share your optimism, Silver Dagger, but I do not think that the Stones would do anything that didn't involve breaking some sort of box-office record or other.

Consequently, my dream of seeing them perform the entire 5 x 5 EP as part of a blues-oriented set will never be realised!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: August 14, 2008 01:38

I would think
its only crock n roll

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 14, 2008 01:47

Winning Ugly VXII
1) Start Me Up
2) You Got Me Rocking
4) Miss You
5) Tumbling Dice
6) Slipping Away
8) Honkey Tonk Women
9) Brown Sugar
10) Jumping Jack Flash
12) Satisfaction

If they play that setlist in 20 years, I would be very, very happy!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 14, 2008 02:56

Silver Dagger
what songs could we expect them to play in say, 10 years time? Keith has said that there is no reason the Stones can't tour into old age, just like their blues mentors did/are still doing, as long as no other core members die. Obviously Jagger would have to quit his present stage routine of running around from side to side like a young buck. Would they ditch the faster numbers...or perhaps play them slower? Be interesting to hear what IORRs think because this is a real possibility.

Chuck Berry (aged 81) & Little Richard (aged 75) still cope fine playing 1-hour plus sets of mostly fast material (even though Little Richard is actually pushed onto stage in a wheelchair these days). So there's no reason why not.

Here's 81-year-old Chuck Berry performing 'Let It Rock' (look out for the scoot across the stage near the end!):

Date: August 14, 2008 03:23

RollingStonesFan
Winning Ugly VXII
1) Start Me Up
2) You Got Me Rocking
4) Miss You
5) Tumbling Dice
6) Slipping Away
8) Honkey Tonk Women
9) Brown Sugar
10) Jumping Jack Flash
12) Satisfaction

If they play that setlist in 20 years, I would be very, very happy!!!!!!!!!

If they are playing at all in 20 years,great,I'll be happy as well BUT,that would be no excuse for them to play that ultra-unimaginitive worn out set list.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 14, 2008 03:49

If? I think they're already there.

Date: August 14, 2008 09:39

Not sure if they'd play Slipping Away. Maybe to near to the knuckle that one. And You Got Me Rocking could have an altogether different meaning by then.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 14, 2008 10:18

...and add 'Goin' Down Slow' and 'Fix My Dying Bed' to the set...tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:11

i would love a back to the roots, bluesy kinda set.
sister morphine
back of my hand
i got the blues
etc.

but i'm just not shure if they're able to do that...
i think they can't deliver anything as good as "stripped" anymore.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:32

LOGIE
I wish I could share your optimism, Silver Dagger, but I do not think that the Stones would do anything that didn't involve breaking some sort of box-office record or other.

Consequently, my dream of seeing them perform the entire 5 x 5 EP as part of a blues-oriented set will never be realised!

I too wish I could share your optimism Silver Dagger, but I'd tend to agree with Logie that they on the face of it appear to be strangely obsessed with breaking box office/attendance/revenue records, and until such time as they just good old fashionedly "get over" this, I don't think it bodes particularly well.

I think they simply need to make a very specific and conscious decision at some point in time (fairly soon actually), and that is to just scale down; when or if they step out again. What bloody records haven't they broken for god's sake ? Personally, I just long for the day that they DO decide to step out once again and entertain us, quite simply for the sheer pleasure they get out of it, and that in so doing, they're quite happy to put up with the barrage of abuse they'll invariably get for (a) doing it on a lesser scale than say that of the last 20-25 years, and (b) for playing (hopefully he says) a far greater proportion of more obscure/less well known songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-14 17:24 by paulywaul.

Date: August 14, 2008 13:01

I think Keith will continue playing live whatever happens and on whatever scale. It's probably Jagger who needs to get over the record-breaking aspect. I'm sure Mick will be a keep fit freak until the day he pops his clogs and will be able to give some kind of athletic performance for another 10 years at least.
Keith I'm sure would be happy to move into Willie Nelson style territory, still rocking it up but at a slower tempo.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 14, 2008 13:34

Silver Dagger
Jeez, Winning Ugly VXII - what drugs are they going to be on play that kind of set? The warhorses rule until then end then.

War horses couldn't drag me away
War, war horses, couldn't drag me away

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 14, 2008 16:20

Considering Keith does virtually nothing between Stones tours,how can it be presumed that he will move into Willie Nelson/ Johnny Cash territory? - something I'd love to see,but I think it would have happened by now.

sc uk

Date: August 14, 2008 17:51

Er, apparently Keith's been spotted in Nashville according to another thread. Stetsons at the ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-14 21:06 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 14, 2008 17:56

chuck berry was a mess (but still cool) at the virgin fest he like little richard(saw him last year-complete mess) only plays about 20 mins of the 1 hour set.

Judging by what the stones did in re-interpreting 19thNB i cant see an issue with reworking other songs to fit a more managable pace.

OLDKR

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 14, 2008 17:57

years ago i used to think the stones would ease into old age with dignity. don't see it happening that way anymore, assuming the core members even live long enough. that's been the most disappointing aspect of the last 20 years - this obsession with maintaining a youthful appearance, etc. there's nothing wrong with aging and maturing. at some point it becomes rather embarrassing to see a bunch of old guys trying hard to not act their age.

Date: August 14, 2008 18:16

T&A
years ago i used to think the stones would ease into old age with dignity. don't see it happening that way anymore, assuming the core members even live long enough. that's been the most disappointing aspect of the last 20 years - this obsession with maintaining a youthful appearance, etc. there's nothing wrong with aging and maturing. at some point it becomes rather embarrassing to see a bunch of old guys trying hard to not act their age.

Well I must admit, I partly agree with you. I think they've kind of reached crisis point here, whereby they realise perhaps that their age alone demands "some kind of a change" in how they continue to present themselves or project themselves; it's just that the precise nature of the change seems to be something they're having difficulty determining. Personally, I think that it need be nothing more complicated than getting their heads around the idea that what might serve them well from hereon would be a change of scale and change of pace. Don't see the difficulty myself.

Don't tell me, their egos won't permit it !! Whatever they do next, they're gonna have to do it as "the greatest rock n' roll band in the world". Bloody hell how tiresome !!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:43

It's a fascinating question because basically rock and roll was "invented" (for lack of a better word) in the 1950's so we can still follow first generation performers as they age. I guess if they have the physical energy and they still have an audience,then why not keep going? Mick's the economist, he more than anyone probably knows that the market will eventually decide the touring question if band health is not an issue.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:52

I think it would totally make for a better show if they did some slower songs, not the whole show but mix it up more instead of it being almost all rockers. You think about how many slower paced songs they have and they don't do many of them live. Be lucky if you get one acoustic or blues song at a show these days.

Also be a nice way to change up the shows a little bit. If they are worried about looking old these days, I think they look older when they are doing all fast numbers and running around the stage. I loved how Neil did the half acoustic, half electric sets recently, would like to see the Stones do something similar.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:58

Hound Dog
I think it would totally make for a better show if they did some slower songs, not the whole show but mix it up more instead of it being almost all rockers. You think about how many slower paced songs they have and they don't do many of them live. Be lucky if you get one acoustic or blues song at a show these days.

Also be a nice way to change up the shows a little bit. If they are worried about looking old these days, I think they look older when they are doing all fast numbers and running around the stage. I loved how Neil did the half acoustic, half electric sets recently, would like to see the Stones do something similar.

yep. i am certain that keith, ronnie, charlie would have absolutely no prob moving in that direction. i think it's mick, his ego, his "holden caulfield complex" or something that continually intervenes. no recognition that his audience has aged, moved on and it is more than ready for the next chapter. we've been reading the same chapter ad nauseum for decades now.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 14, 2008 19:20

I always hoped they would go back to, somewhat, being what they wanted to be when they started out emulating old blues dudes - being a blues oriented band again.

As in PLAYING the blues, not just doing bluesy music. Not all blues but some of their really cool tunes they've done over the years. It would certainly fit them in terms of the fact that the tunes are basically rather slow going. Why not?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 19:31

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to present:

The World's Greatest Rr-r-r . . . er, blues Band, The Rr-r-r-olling Stones!!

They could hold that title till they couldn't, and then some.

And who said country ain't blues? It's just a different color of blue.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 14, 2008 20:49

I saw johnny Winter a couple of months ago. He plays seated and it works. Even the fast numbers were exciting. Now Johnny plays small venues and although he is like the Stones at his best when he plays live,johnny unlike Mick and Keith has not build up a reputation on physical stamina. For the stones to change their act would be a challenge; would the big crowd still be willing to come to their shows without the jumping around?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: August 14, 2008 21:21

Hound Dog

Really good point Hound Dog. The shows are all at a frenetic pace and what is missing and what came about from the whole 'too many warhorses' threads recently is the lack of dynamics. Throwing in more slow to mid-paced songs like Wild Horses, Memory Motel, Prodigal Sun, Winter, Torn And Frayed would give more light and shade to the concerts. There's almost a fear, probably held by Mick, of playing too many slow songs that won't allow him to dart from side to side like a dervish.

Date: August 14, 2008 21:26

Silver Dagger
Hound Dog

Really good point Hound Dog. The shows are all at a frenetic pace and what is missing and what came about from the whole 'too many warhorses' threads recently is the lack of dynamics. Throwing in more slow to mid-paced songs like Wild Horses, Memory Motel, Prodigal Sun, Winter, Torn And Frayed would give more light and shade to the concerts. There's almost a fear, probably held by Mick, of playing too many slow songs that won't allow him to dart from side to side like a dervish.

Well ... if that's the criteria, then lets hope he gets around, sooner rather than later, to recognising that he doesn't HAVE to keep darting from side to side like a sodding dervish for ever and ever. As far as I'm concerned, he can put a stop to it anytime he likes ... like the next time they step out for example !!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 14, 2008 22:16

...will the ticket prices be index-linked to their age increase?!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 14, 2008 23:22

I'm Free
Let the Good Times Roll
The Spider and the Fly
Baby Break it Down
Let it Loose (vocals tones down of course)
Salt of the Earth
Coming Down Again
Winter
Till the Next Goodbye
My Confession
Little Red Rooster
Anyway You Look At It

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home