Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Isaac Hayes died
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:08

CNN reporting Isaac Hayes passed away.

[cnn.com]

Re: Isaac Hayes died
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:11

... could you point out where it says that? sorry if i'm being obtuse

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:12

My mom just called and told me Mr. Hayes died in Memphis TN today! I knew he had a stroke a couple of years ago but this is a bit of a shock.

Hats off to an excellent muscian and entertainer. Time to play my Hot Buttered Soul, Black Moses and all the rest of his outstanding works.

Here's the link to CNN.COM. Says very little so far.
[www.cnn.com]

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 23:16 by CBII.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:13

Here.

RIP, soulful man.

Date: August 10, 2008 23:13

with sssoul
... could you point out where it says that? sorry if i'm being obtuse

Headlined in red on the main CNN page.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:14

thank you for the link, CBII ... love and light to Isaac - thanks and praises, love and light

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:18

How sad. Both guys in one weekend....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 23:20 by Justin.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:24

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Musician Isaac Hayes died early Sunday morning, according to Shelby County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Steve Shular.

A Shelby County sheriff's deputy responded to Hayes' home after his wife found him on the floor near a treadmill inside his home.

Hayes was taken to Baptist East Hospital in Memphis, where he was pronounced dead at 2:08am.

Deputies with the Shelby County Sheriff's Department are continuing their investigation into Hayes' death, but they believe no foul play was involved.

Hayes was 65-years-old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following statement was released by Soulsville USA:

The Soulsville Foundation, which operates the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, Stax Music Academy, and The Soulsville Charter School, is so deeply saddened by the passing of Isaac Hayes that we are in state of shock. Isaac is one of the most beloved members of the Stax family and we all cherish him. He will be missed not only by us, but also by the entire world and the millions of people who love him as much as we do.

Marc Willis, CEO of the Soulsville Foundation, said, "Isaac was unique and an inspiration to us all. His accomplishments as a musician are unparalleled. But more than that, he was a very dear friend and great supporter of the Soulsville Foundation mission, particularly the work we do with children. We will miss him and his wonderful presence more than we can convey at this time"

www.wmctv.com

RIP Isaac.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:25

The "Theme From Shaft" defined the 70's soul music. It hit number one in the Billboard Hot 100 in November 1971.

That song always reminds me of the inner city and leather jackets.

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:26

What a great loss. I have all his albums. I love them all.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:27

That's sad to hear.
...and at 65 - heck, he was Mick's age.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:32

RIP Great One.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:32

Singer, songwriter Isaac Hayes dies at age 65
12 minutes ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Isaac Hayes, the pioneering singer, songwriter and musician whose relentless "Theme From Shaft" won Academy and Grammy awards, has been found dead at home. He was 65.

The Shelby County Sheriff's Office says a family member found Hayes unresponsive near a treadmill on Sunday. He was pronounced dead about an hour later at Baptist East Hospital in Memphis. The cause of death was not immediately known.

In the early 1970s, Hayes laid the groundwork for disco, for what became known as urban-contemporary music and for romantic crooners like Barry White. And he was rapping before there was rap.

His career hit another high in 1997 when he became the voice of Chef, the sensible school cook and devoted ladies man on the animated TV show "South Park."
[ap.google.com]

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:33

sad smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:35

Remember him playing "Theme from Shaft" on the 1972 Oscars, wearing those chains?

He was an icon.

And remember that his career as a performer was a fluke...no one expected "Hot Buttered Soul" to be a hit. Hayes was already famous as part of the Hayes/Porter songwriting team that wrote all those hits for Sam & Dave.

Date: August 10, 2008 23:54

Some may not know that Hayes also was the voice of "Chef" on South Park:

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 10, 2008 23:54

A sad day, indeed.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:02

bless him... let's be grateful for his great music...

memento mori

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 14:02 by the juf.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:16

RIP, Isaac, Hot Buttered Soul that you were. Such sad and shocking news. I have a couple of his earlier albums but the one I used to play to death was Royal Rappin' with Millie Jackson. And he was also a great voice as Chef. Too sad.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:19

Hey that sucks. That voice was one in a million.. in a GAZILLION! Hey he gave us great stuff, thanks!! Now off to a better place, we hope.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:20

very sad...may god bless you

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:29

All the above and of course his great songwriting for Stax acts, in particular Sam & Dave. I will allways remember him for the regular character he played in The Rockford files. and of coursesome kids just know him for the voice of Chief.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:44

God bless you Isaac. An absolute legend who paved the way for so many. He invented deep soul with The Isaac Hayes Movement, took it to new extremes with Hot Buttered Soul and then defined it with his two masterpieces To Be Continued and Black Moses. And then came the single and album that really made him, Shaft. A great songwriter, pianist, arranger and of course singer.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:47

That´s so sad,...,thank you for all the wonderful music,
RIP

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:49

sad news, rip.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 11, 2008 01:41

RIP Isaac !!!

Sad news Indeed

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 11, 2008 01:41

Was just watching the local news here in Detroit, when the anchor man had this to say about Issac:

"He was very successful with Tina Turner, and then they broke up"

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 11, 2008 01:49

tatters
Was just watching the local news here in Detroit, when the anchor man had this to say about Issac:

"He was very successful with Tina Turner, and then they broke up"

First time I heard anyone confuse Tina with David Porter.

Maybe he was thinking about Hayes in "Truck Turner"

[www.imdb.com]

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 11, 2008 02:08

Isaac Hayes was truly one of the greatest soul singers. Years ago, I had a ticket for a concert show of his. Unfortunatly, got the concert cancelled few days before the event, because of very poor ticket sales. Got never again the chance to see him live in concert.

R.I.P. Isaac Hayes

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 11, 2008 02:49

Nanker Phlegm
All the above and of course his great songwriting for Stax acts, in particular Sam & Dave. I will allways remember him for the regular character he played in The Rockford files. and of coursesome kids just know him for the voice of Chief.

Yeah I remember that character from Rockford too. I think his character was called Gandolph Fitch, "Gandy."

RIP.......

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home