Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stylist to mr. Richards
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: August 2, 2008 16:13

One is mentioned in the SAL ending credits.. but this supposed stylist is called 'Marvam Malakpour' (?!) There's only one other stylist mentioned, but not for seperate Stones. Sounds like a joke, surely.. grinning smiley

Re: Stylist to mr. Richards
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 2, 2008 16:14

Can't be a hair stylist they're talking about!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:30

Doesn't seem to be a joke - Maryam Malakpour is credited for the Costume and Wardrobe Department.
[www.imdb.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:39

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:41

So who is Bobby Keys' fitness instructor?

Date: August 2, 2008 20:35

LOGIE

I think his last name is McDonalds..

Date: August 2, 2008 20:47

I thought Keith didn't have one, and wore what he had, and nicked a little bit of everybody's rack, and just found one that he liked and had a couple of sets? Another cool myth busted, Keith is the Stone that is most vain, probably!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2008 20:57

aah, there was a time when the stylist was someone named Anita Pallenberg, and she did some goddamn fine job. I guess from 1989 or at least 1994 on, there has been some pro to design the costume and style for our hero.

Anyway, the time when Keith style was coolest, at least to my taste, was the 1981/82 tour: the clothes, the hair, the movements, the attitude...

- Doxa

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 2, 2008 21:02

I saw a documentary about putting on the Rio show (from the logistics and organizational side of things, not the music side) and there was a bit about all the boys having a room in the hotel for their clothes. Keith's room/ dressing area was shown as was his stylist. He's no fashion horse, he likes things strewn around and just an interesting selection of things. Go figure.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 2, 2008 21:11

Edith Grove
Can't be a hair stylist they're talking about!

Yeah, that would be a pretty bad hairstylist. I can just hear this guy talking to Keith:

"Yes Mr. Richards, I am thinking for this tour we will go with grey and receeding with a bald spot in the back. Oh, sometimes we will dye it black, sometimes we will let it go grey, we'll mix it up to confuse people. Then you can tie junk and weird trinkets in it, that is when you're not wearing a goofy hat. And at the end of the tour, you steal Bob Dylan's moustache. You will be the most stylish rock star ever!"

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 2, 2008 21:35

Why should this come as such a big shock/disappointment? I mean, in the May 2008 edition of Esquire, a "fashion assistant" is credited - whatever that is? - for his pix. And he is wearing his "own" clothes as far as I can see - the green, velvet vest in place, anyhooo.

In that very same interview, Mr. Richards says, "I know that it doesn't meld with my particular image, whatever that is, because the image is made up of a kaleidoscope of other people's ideas of me. I could surprise them all, still."

He says this in regard to the interviewer seing him swimming in the early hours of the morning (7 am) with his dogs - but I suppose it could relate to any of the "fantasies" we have about "Keef Riff Hard".

There is only one thing you should know: He is Keith Richards - you are not ;-)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2008 00:28

>> I saw a documentary about putting on the Rio show ... <<

that footage isn't of Keith's stylist, it's of the lady whose job it is to get their backstage areas ready at each venue.
it's on the Biggest Bang dvd set as well: the Rio minidocumentary comprises most of the same footage
as that National Geographic "Inside" show. the rooms shown aren't the wardrobe rooms -
they're the areas where they hang out backstage, warm up, play snooker etc.

the 1999 Chris Evans interview does include a lady explaining each of their wardrobe preferences - maybe that's what you're recalling?
Charlie's socks all in order - Ronnie and Keith have their own "special style" - and so on

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-03 11:53 by with sssoul.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2008 00:39

Just do a Goggle or Google even -search for MM and you will come up with quite a few hits including an official site.
She's got an impressive CV.
I think its great -lets get some style, most people look dreadful in Levi jeans post 60, or post 50 for that matter.
And when they are torn and frayed - yuk!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2008 00:39

Keith has always been a stylist...............1966

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 3, 2008 01:03

LOGIE

Thats Keef.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2008 14:03

Rockman

Keith has always been a stylist...............1966

Love the photo of Keith and Charlie.....if they had gone in a different direction, they could have been GAY icons!
Who took the photo?

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 3, 2008 14:29

I recall a picture of Amy Whinhouse in the tabloids with someone described as her "HAIRDRESSER" eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 3, 2008 14:43

Actually, there are some ladies back stage who are responsible for the clothes... The boys pick their clothes themselves, but after each show, the ladies wash, dry clean, iron, mend and see to that the fav gear is ready to be used again.
There's also a couple of ladies responsible for hair and make up. Everyone gets help with their hair and particularly eye make up and a "healthy skin tone".

Beth Springer, who is the lady interviewed in the Rio documentary, was only working on the 2006 leg of the tour. She was responsible for the "Work Out" (Jagger's "home" back stage) The Camp X-ray (Keith's quarters), The Recovery (Ronnie's home, which always has to be next to Keith's quarters), The Cotton Club (Where Charlie rules), Band 1, Band 2, Lisa Fisher's room, the CPI (Cohl and two assistants), the wardrobe room, the make up room and the "restaurant" for Stones musicians and their families and invited guests) and the huge cantina, for the out door crew, stage builders, truck drivers etc.

Date: August 3, 2008 15:06

A stylists job is not to wash, dry clean, iron and mend.

Date: August 3, 2008 15:24

Not normally. But a Rolling Stones concert is a bit different than a D & G-fashion show.
In Stones-land thay call the people who are responsible for the textile bit "stylists or wardrobe ladies", and in Ronnie's case, "personal assistent to Mr. Wood" (his wife, from a bit into the 2003 tour.)
The wardrobe ladies are often qualified stylists, but (with the exception of Mick, who pleases L'wren by letting her pick his clothes) the boys pick the clothes themselves, from a sturdy rack in their quarters. Before the show, at least two outfits for each is taken from their private quarters to the back of the stage, where they can change shirts, T-shirts etc. Normally Charlie's the only one who doesn't change clothes during a show. (And the backing band, as you may have seen.)
Before the tour, the shopping/tailoring, sees a Stone, sometimes accompanied by a stylist, or a wife - or both, discussing the look they want. (Depending on the stage decor, the light design etc.)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 3, 2008 16:05

Make it spikey

Ron in Rio

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 3, 2008 20:05

I think Keef is kind of stuck with the dishelved rock star look with no way to gracefully change gears as he ages (and who knows if he even cares), but the look is starting to border on the cringe worthy. I think jeans, a cool t-shirt, trimmed hair and hat (he looks good in hats) and some black boots. Also, start eliminating the jewelry and eyeliner.

Mick seems to have made the transition, Charlie always had a penchant for stylish suits and looks unbelievably distinguished off stage. Ronnie while younger is getting in that danger zone too.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 4, 2008 02:00

So Ron has got a personal stylist to blowdry his wig?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 4, 2008 02:14

open-g
Make it spikey

Ron in Rio

well at least he looks sober in that shot.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 4, 2008 02:25

Doxa
aah, there was a time when the stylist was someone named Anita Pallenberg, and she did some goddamn fine job. I guess from 1989 or at least 1994 on, there has been some pro to design the costume and style for our hero.

Anyway, the time when Keith style was coolest, at least to my taste, was the 1981/82 tour: the clothes, the hair, the movements, the attitude...

- Doxa

agree 100%

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 4, 2008 07:54

Beelyboy
open-g
Make it spikey

Ron in Rio

well at least he looks sober in that shot.

Jo looks really bad in this picture, no wonder Ronnie ran off with a 19 year old

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 4, 2008 08:36

Addicted, thanks for the detail in your posts.

That's what I understood from the documentary that I saw as well. It wasn't about Charlie's socks, it was about choosing and laying out clothes for Keith in a room designed to make him feel relaxed, with the understanding that he'd do his own thing regardless of any stylist's choices.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 4, 2008 09:46

Maybe Keith's personal "rag and bone man" preferred to called a stylist ? ;^)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 4, 2008 09:48

>> Jo looks ... <<

that's not Jo.

>> it was about choosing and laying out clothes for Keith <<

okay, i know the footage you mean - it's indeed in the Rio documentary (on the Biggest Bang dvd set
and the National Geographic show), but those aren't clothes. Camp X-Ray is decorated with pieces of fabric
that are hung over the walls. Beth Springer talks about Keith liking it to look not too orderly,
but again, it's not wardrobe and she's not the stylist/wardrobe lady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-04 10:25 by with sssoul.

Date: August 4, 2008 12:56

Speaking of the Camp X-ray- Keith's private quarters back stage.
First, all walls are piped and draped with black fabric. Then several scarves (some of them given to him by fans, and some scarves have been on several tours), kelims, rugs and carpets are hung on the black fabric. Beth (2006 tour) hung up some, and if in the mood, Keith brought some with him to hang on the drapes himself. This is what Beth Springer was talking about in the documentary from Rio.

On one wall there's usually a huge photo of The Man in Black- Johnny Cash.
Along the walls there are four or five (depending on how many visitors he's expecting) banquet tables, full of food and drink. (Food prepared by the Stones' private chef. Yes, the Shepherd's pie is there, WITH lamb meat/mutton, not beef)
In one end of the room, a sofa, for at least 3 people, and at least one arm chair. A big coffee table (must never be made of glass). Several lamps, including reading lamp. Despite all the lamps, it's quite dark, or "dusky", and there's a nice aroma of incense. Candles, and a touch of amber.
A huge hi fi system, lots of power, (I forgot the specifications for the system), a fax and a private phone.
And lots of white flowers: Weeping lilies, I think they're called.
Nice carpets on the floor. Keith's got a very nice collection of carpets and has extensive knowledge about their history and origin. Also some nice ashtrays, some small models of knights in armour and little things that create a homey atmosphere.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-04 14:18 by Addicted.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home