Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Which External Hard Drive do you use?
Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: July 29, 2008 02:54

Hi Gents
The story is that yesterday i was just working with my hdd it , and it started to sound bad and it sounded like the other ones that i had that burned .
I got mad , turned it off and came into a panic attack , almost wanted to cry!!
i had about 750 stones boots there + about 200 of U2 , 100 of ACDC and 100 of Kiss .
Then i checked it later and it functioned normally but i havent used it since yesterday ( im just nervous about it).
So that i want to know which brand do you use : Maxtor , Samsung , or which one?
I have one that has no brand( was made on a computer repairing center)
So , im about to buy the best one i could ever have , so could you help me?
Thanks

Re: OT: Which External Hard Drive do you use?
Date: July 29, 2008 03:25

I would go with Iomega,one that has more than just a USB connection option.I would actually buy two and mirror them for insurance in the event that one of them goes down.This is an example : [store.iomega.com] . So is this : [store.iomega.com] as well as this : [store.iomega.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-18 03:39 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 29, 2008 03:52

1. Dont panic.
you seem to know what you're missing when things go wrong
and worrying about that bad hdd-sound seems right - keep in mind that murphy's law* is always waiting just around the corner.
so get yourself a new hard-drive, where you can get the best availlable support in your country.
support in your region is the only killer arguement, IMO.
the name, or "the best" doesn't really exist. they all tend to listen to Murphy's Law*.
I've seen it quite a few & many o'times.

2.Don't start it again, until you're ready to back up your files.
i.e You have a new hard drive ready.

3. once you have your files saved, try analysing that old hdd - there are tools just a google-click-away.
you might find, you paniced too early, but in that case you have just another back-up media. (ya can't have enough)
make sure you activate S.M.A.R.T on your motherboard (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology)if you haven't done so before.
it may alarm you when things start going wrong* early with your hdd.

btw, if you share your files with friends, there's a good chance to get 'em back - even if the whole darn house burned down (godforbid*)

*[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: July 29, 2008 05:57

Could you give me some tips to do the "SMART"?
How can i keep monitoring , analizing and all that stuff with my hdd , i mean is there anyway you keep yours safe?
thanks a lot for the help , open-g!
liked Murphy's ideas!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 29, 2008 10:50

mexicostone
Hi Gents
The story is that yesterday i was just working with my hdd it , and it started to sound bad and it sounded like the other ones that i had that burned .
I got mad , turned it off and came into a panic attack , almost wanted to cry!!
i had about 750 stones boots there + about 200 of U2 , 100 of ACDC and 100 of Kiss .
Then i checked it later and it functioned normally but i havent used it since yesterday ( im just nervous about it).
So that i want to know which brand do you use : Maxtor , Samsung , or which one?
So , im about to buy the best one i could ever have , so could you help me?
Thanks

FREECOM Toughdrive USB2 250Gb, but that's because it's tiny and portable. But they also do make a whole range of other drives of much larger capacity drives that are not portable, they're up in the terrabyte range sizewise/capacity-wise. I've seen them offshore where they're used for holding vast music/film libraries, they work fine and the transfer rate is good.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 29, 2008 11:25

I got a Western Digital disc too
Really happy with it

Date: July 29, 2008 12:54

Yes.The eSATA connection will give you the fastest transfer rates.USB is usually not the best hard drive connection option,unless you're talking a small portable hard drive for laptops.Firewire 800 and Firewire 400 are also options in some cases.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 29, 2008 15:41

mexicostone
How can i keep monitoring , analizing and all that stuff with my hdd , i mean is there anyway you keep yours safe?
liked Murphy's ideas!

To check if SMART is en- or disabled read the boot-screen when powering up your pc.
if a mainboard logo gets in the way to read the messages, press the "escape" button to remove the logo.
if it's too fast to read everything, hit the "pause/break" button and again Esc. to continue.
To enable SMART you need to enter the bios (Basic Input Output System), usually by pressing the DEL button while booting. if thats not the case to enter your BIOS, it will tell you how to, again - on the boot-screen.
once in the bios, find the SMART option and simply enable it and save it.
If you don't know much about all this, please ask a friend who is savy with this.

you might not know which brand it is, but some manufacturer has made it.
a tool like Everest Home will most likely tell you what brand and type it is - and a lot more.
[download.chip.eu]

once you know the brand, you can try to find a HDD diagnosis tool for it.
for Samsung Hdd's it would be this "Hutil" tool.
[www.samsung.com]
but again, thats for Samsung only, so you need to find out whats up in your case.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 29, 2008 16:45

Seagate 200 Firewire for my music
Seagate 750 Firewire for my work

IORR............but I like it!

Date: July 29, 2008 16:45

Theif in the Night
Yes.The eSATA connection will give you the fastest transfer rates.USB is usually not the best hard drive connection option,unless you're talking a small portable hard drive for laptops.Firewire 800 and Firewire 400 are also options in some cases.

One eSATA that i had already burned!

Date: July 29, 2008 16:53

open-g
mexicostone
liked Murphy's ideas!

To check if SMART is en- or disabled read the boot-screen when powering up your pc.
if a mainboard logo gets in the way to read the messages, press the "escape" button to remove the logo.
if it's too fast to read everything, hit the "pause/break" button and again Esc. to continue.
To enable SMART you need to enter the bios (Basic Input Output System), usually by pressing the DEL button while booting. if thats not the case to enter your BIOS, it will tell you how to, again - on the boot-screen.
once in the bios, find the SMART option and simply enable it and save it.
If you don't know much about all this, please ask a friend who is savy with this.

you might not know which brand it is, but some manufacturer has made it.
a tool like Everest Home will most likely tell you what brand and type it is - and a lot more.
[download.chip.eu]

once you know the brand, you can try to find a HDD diagnosis tool for it.
for Samsung Hdd's it would be this "Hutil" tool.
[www.samsung.com]
but again, thats for Samsung only, so you need to find out whats up in your case.

Thanks a lot , ill be searching for tools , and will try to do just what you told me , thanks open-g and you guys for the recommendations!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 29, 2008 17:42

open-g
btw, if you share your files with friends, there's a good chance to get 'em back - even if the whole darn house burned down (godforbid*)

This is the most important of any actions you should take. Like they say down there "mochate"

Date: July 31, 2008 05:50

I just bought a Maxtor One Touch 4 500 GB.
And im working on backing the bad one at this moment , thanks for the help!

Date: August 14, 2008 07:08

mexicostone
Theif in the Night

One eSATA that i had already burned!

As I understand it, eSATA is just the connection and it would not have anything to do with the hard drive failing.

Date: August 14, 2008 07:21

1) Avastor : [www.avastor.com]

2) Buffalo : [www.buffalotech.com]

3) Seagate : ( Pro Series ) [www.seagate.com]

4) LaCie : [www.lacie.com]
[www.lacie.com]
[www.lacie.com]

5) Western Digital : [www.wdc.com]

Like someone said,none are 100 % so,I would be prepared and take precautions.I think that going with a top brand for customer satisfaction and reliability gives you the best chances to avoid problems.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:47

I bought a 16 GB-Usb-Flashstick by INTENSO for 50 Euro. Well that small thing rocks!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2008 13:12

I use a Seagate 500G. It cost me about £55 so it would be perhaps around $100. I've had no problems with it.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: August 14, 2008 15:42

I too have 2 x External Western Digital 1 Terrabyte Drives - very pleased with them.

Got them from Ebuyer.com

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 16:26

I have a Western Digital drive. Spent a week loading stuff on it, and just when I finished it stopped working. Lost a few things. Western Digital didn't seem to concerned, but they did replace the drive.

Now I use the WD disk as a redundancy: I also use an Apple Time Capsule, backs up painlessly.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: August 14, 2008 16:49

I have a couple of 500gb Iomega external drives attached to my Mac Mini with almost my entire music and movie collection on them. To be safe I also have the lot backed up on a third 1 Terrabyte drive which I keep hidden away in a different part of the house. I would hate to lose my collection of music and films just because i failed to have a backup.

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home