Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: New Tour ??? - The "Please don´t play" - Wish List
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 09:45

jamesfdouglas
There is a lot more great stuff... but I'd want them to branch out more. Do some more covers.

Oh no, just no mor Ray Charles, James Brown or other stuff that makes them sound like a cabaret. There surely can be some Chuck Berry or blues (like Muddy Waters or someone like that), but one number during the show is enough. They have a couple of hundreds of their own songs to choose from!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 09:47 by Happy24.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 10:10

Sometimes the Rehearsel In The Midnight Hour '' Mick Like this Song .

it's like Harlen Shuffle The Stones can make a new Hit with this one .

IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR . cool smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 15:34

Yes, I'd like to see Mixed Emotions. Never saw it live and it's the last 'hit' that the boys had. As hard as it is to pull off live, I think they should give it more due than it gets.

Date: August 7, 2008 15:50

Slick
Strike
Please no Keith set, no It`s good to be here, it`s good to be anywhere ya know... any way .. Happy! Dudeldim, Dudeldum...
amen

This is ridiculous.They've not really even played Happy since 1995 except for '02,'03,plus three and a half months in early '06 (and at four single shows in 2007).That's the sum of it for the last 13 years.Richards (unlike some people) makes it interesting between different tours and even between different legs of tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 16:08 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: J Blues ()
Date: August 7, 2008 16:56

yeah, "please don´t play at all". that would be my wish... it is painful to see how much they are selling out their heritage

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 17:56

With the right software (as in, when I get it) I'm just going to make my own live comp (one from the official live albums and then one from the boots I have and maybe one with the two combined) with NO warhorses on it.

And then maybe one of all the warhorses just for shits and giggles - the best of the best - JJF, SFM and SFTD from Ya-Ya's, etc...HTW and IORR from LYL, Start Me Up from Flashpoint, You Got Me Rocking from NS of course, Brown Sugar from Licks, etc...

Because, like whoever it was pointed out, this kind of thing will never happen anyway...

Date: August 7, 2008 19:02

I Can be satisfied & I A King Bee , time to play this one live . thumbs up

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 7, 2008 19:53

songs i wouldn't mind not hearing:

start me up
live with me
brown sugar
satisfaction
miss you
gimme shelter
sympathy for the devil
you got me rocking
slipping away
honky tonk women
angie
it's only rock'n'roll

these songs are so played to death

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 20:45

It seems to be in big agreeance that if they were to mostly ignore the war horses songs people would be quite pleased - because hopefully it means they'd play very underplayed tunes or some they've never played at all.

And, of course, we all KNOW that won't happen. But we can wish.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:23

Judging by the general tone of this thread it's clear that The Stones really need to take more risks. They are playing it too safe and thus are coasting down the freeway to cabaretville. Ditch the backing singers, ditch the keyboards and keep it lively. Change the setlist as much as Bruce does or is that beyond them at this stage in their venerable careers? Most of us would have seen them loads of times between 2002 ans last year and the setlist has pretty much remained the same. Now is the time to go out and show that they can really deliver a dynamite show without the safety net of the familiar. Taking risks is what rock'n'roll is really all about.

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: August 7, 2008 22:40

Silver Dagger
Judging by the general tone of this thread it's clear that The Stones really need to take more risks. They are playing it too safe and thus are coasting down the freeway to cabaretville. Ditch the backing singers, ditch the keyboards and keep it lively. Change the setlist as much as Bruce does or is that beyond them at this stage in their venerable careers? Most of us would have seen them loads of times between 2002 ans last year and the setlist has pretty much remained the same. Now is the time to go out and show that they can really deliver a dynamite show without the safety net of the familiar. Taking risks is what rock'n'roll is really all about.

I say AMEN to that. Couldn't have said it better. But I'm afraid it's too late for the risks at their age... but I hope I'm wrongl

Date: August 8, 2008 09:04

Mick Rehearsel In the Midnight Hour in 1993 in New York Wondering Spirit Show.

Date: August 9, 2008 10:39

no more miss you .. grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 9, 2008 16:10

IF ... they come round again, I could absolutely do without hearing (AGAIN) ...

Definitely

Satisfaction
Miss You
You Got Me Rockin
Slipping Away

And furthermore, could very easily live without

JJF
Sympathy
Gimme Shelter
Paint It Black
SFM
Start Me Up

It MUST be possible to construct a setlist to keep most folks, in most venues, most of the time, happy as pigs in shit without calling on these songs ... surely ?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 9, 2008 16:34

I agree pauly, except i could always live with gimme shelter in the set, i dont really consider that one a warhorse

Date: August 9, 2008 17:31

Street Fighting Man isn't anymore either.I would keep JJF and Satisfaction over Honkey Tonk Women and Brown Sugar.Satisfaction has been rested,Brown Sugar and HTW haven't been in ages or ever,respectively on the other hand.IORR needs a rest as well.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 9, 2008 19:44

So it appears that the OVERALL message of this thread is that many paying (and repeat) customers would prefer the Stones to take a risk rather than continue with the same old, same old. Realistically, "THE FORMULA" has been a great cash cow for the Stones for many years-so if it ain't broken-don't fix it approach will most likely continue into the next tour (if there is one)...However, if MIck & the boys are out there and reading this-take some tips from your competitor Springsteen and mix things up...How about playing venues like arenas or theaters playing the blues and/or obscure numbers without all the fancy stage spectacle (and less stage back-ups)? C'mon Mick- I dare 'ya!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 9, 2008 19:46

melillo
I agree pauly, except i could always live with gimme shelter in the set, i dont really consider that one a warhorse

Yeah, must admit I could cope with Gimme Shelter a lot more easily than any of the others in my list, and in fact I forgot a couple to put on the list ... HTW and IORR.

Interesting study though, at least I think so. Take say (with the exception of Gimme Shelter) all of the songs on my particlar list out of the equation, I make that 11 (eleven). What would you say the average number of songs has been in their last few tours, 18/19/20 ? Round it up in their favour, call it 20. So we'd be looking to replace those eleven songs with others that, as I say, would by and large have to "do it" for most folks, at most venues, most of the time. Now you're never going to persuade me that with their voluminous catalogue, they couldn't come up with 11 suitable alternatives, covering the entire spectrum ... from rockers to ballads to old blues.

SO WHY DON'T THEY BLOODY DO IT THEN ?

MJ, KR, CW, RW ... you read it here. Get ON wiv it !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-09 22:31 by paulywaul.

Date: August 10, 2008 15:27

I GO WILD WE LIKE TO HEAR NEXT TIME .

WHAT WAS YOUR BEST SHOW,THE NEXT ONE .thumbs up

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: August 10, 2008 17:51

Songs that should be dropped :

Start Me Up
MissYou
YCAGWYW
Honky Tonk Women
IORR

I am really tired of these songs and will not attend another concert until the set list is drastically changed. I mean, really, .. how many times will one pay to hear the same old songs? To me it's kind of stupid...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 10, 2008 18:03

good points dude, they really should realize this themselves, but in the end the casual fan for some unknown reason, wins out

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 10, 2008 18:14

Get rid of Miss You YCAGWYW, Start Me Up That'd be good start MEZ

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 10, 2008 18:41

I'd skip past Sympathy For The Devil, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Women. Actually I'd like to have SFTD and HTW in if they were in new arrangements (Imagine a b-stage with bar stools and they did an acoustic version of SFTD a la the Goddard movie and a much more Country Honk-ish HTW). Then they could be kept in and kept fresh (I get goosebumps just thinking of Mick howling away SFTD on a bar stool).

They always have two spots in the show with long songs. On recent tours, one of them is always SFTD. The other spot has alternated between Midnight Rambler and Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Imagine if they ditched SFTD (Or kept it acoustic on bar stools - Or standing with acoustic. Whatever you prefer) and put in CYHMK as the first long song, and took MR in as the second long song that usually comes after the b-stage.

As for the other warhorses and the other usual suspects:
I still LOVE (Let me spell it: L O V E!!!) when they do the likes of Start Me Up, Jumping Jack Flash, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want (Though to a lesser extent than the others), Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice. Alternations between these would not be a bad thing though.

Miss You and You Got Me Rocking can be kept in or out. I really liked Miss You in Horsens two years ago, but in Copenhagen last year, it wasn't as good. You Got Me Rocking seemed a bit stale in Copenhagen last year too, but I've seen it cook like mad too. For the Miss You spot (If they do a b-stage similar to the ABB Tour) they could go out there with Under My Thumb like some of the late 2006 dates. It seemed to work like a charm.

So how do I end? With a proposed setlist right? grinning smiley
(Note: I'm making this setlist while dismissing a possible new album because I don't know if it will come or not - YET. Also, I've made an effort to mostly use tracks they've done recently). And please refrain from the obvious joke: "The next setlist will also dismiss the new album". I've already thought about that, so no need). grinning smiley

Here goes:

1.- Time Is On My Side. (I would love to see this as an opener).
2.- Shattered. (Alternating with She Was Hot and Little Queenie).
3.- Sad, Sad, Sad. (Alternating with All Down The Line, Flip The Switch and Love Is Strong).
4.- Bitch. (Alternating with Live With Me, Some Girls, Rocks Off and Rough Justice).
5.- Monkey Man (Alternating with Heartbreaker, Back Of My Hand, The Storm and I Just Wanna Make Love To You).
6.- Ruby Tuesday (Alternating with Streets Of Love, Waiting On A Friend and
7.- Can't You Hear Me Knocking. (Can switch places with Midnight Rambler, and alternating with Out Of Control).
8.- You Got The Silver. (Alternating with Slipping Away and
9.- Before They Make Me Run. (Alternating with Happy, Little T & A, Connection and Learning The Game).
10.- Under My Thumb. (Whilst going out to the b-stage).
11.- Sympathy For The Devil (Acoustic - Sitting on bar stools). (Alternating with Sweet Virginia).
12.- Honky Tonk Women (Acoustic - Sitting on bar stools). (Alternating with Dead Flowers).
13.- Midnight Rambler. (Whilst going back from the b-stage) - (Can switch places with CYHMK, and alternating with Out Of Control).
14.- Gimme Shelter.
15.- It's Only Rock 'n Roll. (Alternating with Star Star).
16.- Tumbling Dice.
17.- Start Me Up.

18.- Brown Sugar. (Alternating with Paint It Black).
19.- Jumping Jack Flash. (Alternating with Street Fighting Man).

Even though we've heard many of these songs very recently, I think it would be one kick-ass show.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 11, 2008 06:23

Miss You should go missing

Satisfaction is just horrible live

Keith's set (he just cannot do it anymore)

Bitch

IORR - never as good live since 1975. Bring back the guitar in the song or give it up.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 11, 2008 12:24

Three warhorses to be ditched:

Miss You
Sympathy for the Devil
Satisfaction

Three more that should be avoided carefully:

You Got Me Rocking
You Can't Always Get What You Want
It's Only Rock'n'Roll

Three tunes that need a massive rearrangement:

Start Me Up (1. there is no hassle; play it slower 2. Mick: this one should be sung instead of belting it out 3. Ronnie: either you play a decent solo or you leave it entirely)
Brown Sugar (drop that awkward, repetitive sing-along part. The audience does not consist of deaf morons)
Under My Thumb (bring back the guitars)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2008 14:57

JumpingKentFlash
Here goes:

1.- Time Is On My Side. (I would love to see this as an opener).
2.- Shattered. (Alternating with She Was Hot and Little Queenie).
3.- Sad, Sad, Sad. (Alternating with All Down The Line, Flip The Switch and Love Is Strong).
4.- Bitch. (Alternating with Live With Me, Some Girls, Rocks Off and Rough Justice).
5.- Monkey Man (Alternating with Heartbreaker, Back Of My Hand, The Storm and I Just Wanna Make Love To You).
6.- Ruby Tuesday (Alternating with Streets Of Love, Waiting On A Friend and
7.- Can't You Hear Me Knocking. (Can switch places with Midnight Rambler, and alternating with Out Of Control).
8.- You Got The Silver. (Alternating with Slipping Away and
9.- Before They Make Me Run. (Alternating with Happy, Little T & A, Connection and Learning The Game).
10.- Under My Thumb. (Whilst going out to the b-stage).
11.- Sympathy For The Devil (Acoustic - Sitting on bar stools). (Alternating with Sweet Virginia).
12.- Honky Tonk Women (Acoustic - Sitting on bar stools). (Alternating with Dead Flowers).
13.- Midnight Rambler. (Whilst going back from the b-stage) - (Can switch places with CYHMK, and alternating with Out Of Control).
14.- Gimme Shelter.
15.- It's Only Rock 'n Roll. (Alternating with Star Star).
16.- Tumbling Dice.
17.- Start Me Up.

18.- Brown Sugar. (Alternating with Paint It Black).
19.- Jumping Jack Flash. (Alternating with Street Fighting Man).

Even though we've heard many of these songs very recently, I think it would be one kick-ass show.

How about changing the structure completely.

No more b-stage (its old hat now and as its used for warhorses, an absolute waste of time)

No more of this 18-19 song setlist bollocks (made even worse by the b-stage which takes place about 50 yards behind the people who have paid the most for their tickets, depriving them of seeing (and to some degree hearing properly) about 20% of the show

No more 'warhorses only' grand finale.

Acoustic mini-sets is a nice idea. Doubt theyd try it though. Mick is too shit scared as it is of playing more than one ballad per show in case its too much for the blow-in fans' limited attention span. It probably also explains the almost total omission of blues from recent Stones setlists.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 15:02 by Gazza.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 11, 2008 15:44

The following warhorses I thinj are particulary 'tired' sounding are...

Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Woman and Sympathy For The Devil.

All 3 of the above mentioned bore me sensless, which is tragic, as they're all absoloute classic songs.

JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar etc, still sound OK imo. I'm a sucker for Keiths Chuck Berry riffs, so IORR still, - just about - works for me.

I;m not too fussed about what they add tothe setlists for the next tour, though admittedly, as I beleive I've probably staed elswhere, a few of the 60's oldies would be much apreciated. I'm thinking, Time Is On My Side, The Last Time, Heart Of Stone, It's All Over Now and so forth. Then again, I thought Get Off Of My Cloud was dire last time around, so perhaps not!!!

Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: August 11, 2008 16:26

Angie
Miss you
Sympathy for the devil
It's only R&R
Streets of love
Undercover

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 11, 2008 16:32

songs i wouldn't mind not hearing:

start me up
live with me
brown sugar
satisfaction
miss you
gimme shelter
sympathy for the devil
you got me rocking
slipping away
honky tonk women
angie
it's only rock'n'roll

these songs are so played to death

So, thats nearly every song that made them famous and Joe Public goes to a gig to hear? Top stuff!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2008 22:38

ablett

So, thats nearly every song that made them famous

No it isnt.

Jesus, have some imagination. Wouldnt you prefer some variety or do you just think they're simply not up to anything remotely challenging?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home