Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Licks Theater Show Recordings - Quality of Sound/Performance
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 28, 2008 04:06

i heard that there is one particularly outstanding theater/club recording from the Licks tour, dont know if 02 or 03 America or Europe, where the quality is especially outstanding.

And I think they were speaking of sound quality. Which one is it?

Also, how good is it performance wise or is there another Licks small show recording that is better in that regard?

p

Re: Licks Theater Show Recordings - Quality of Sound/Performance
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 28, 2008 10:52

I have 'Wiltern Licks' which is a pretty good sound quality but not exceptional. Most professional packaging I've ever had on a boot however.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 28, 2008 10:55

In regards of packaging, sound quality and performance you get pretty close with Vredenburg 2003 and Stockholm Cirkus 2003 (Crystal Cat).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kees ()
Date: July 28, 2008 11:03

Sound quality:
Astoria and Olympique.
Olympique is a good performance too, Astoria was the most disappointed one from the club gigs.

Do us a favour Jagger, and release those club gigs in sound board quality.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 28, 2008 11:18

kees
Sound quality:
Astoria and Olympique.
Olympique is a good performance too, Astoria was the most disappointed one from the club gigs.

Do us a favour Jagger, and release those club gigs in sound board quality.

You probably meant Olympia, Paris

Crystal released Olympia, Astoria and Cirkus Stockholm in outstanding sound quality. (9.5/10)
Vredenburg and Cirkus Krone (Munich) are also available in a very decent sound quality. (8/10)

The US club shows are also available. I have a good souvenir of NYC Roseland for being good but not outstanding

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:27

The covers of Crystalcat releases are also very fine.
The music: my concerts of a lifetime
I wish I could hold back that time at the Circus especially.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:30

Doc is rigth.
It's a pity that the sound quality of the USA clug shows is not very good. Set list differed and would have been great to have them in decent quality.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:31

If I remember rightly, the Astoria show, although technically, not a soundboard, was recorded from behind the stage.

I actualy thought it was a rather good show. My favourite, however, is the the U.S theatre show where they performed Parachute Woman and Brand New Car. Excellent, excellent show.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:44

Big Al
If I remember rightly, the Astoria show, although technically, not a soundboard, was recorded from behind the stage.
I actualy thought it was a rather good show.

I heard the same story about the show being recorded from backstage.
I don't think it is true but it's been said.

Astoria is for me too a good club show, but indeed not as great as Munich (my favorite) and Paris (close 2nd)
Hard to tell which of Vredenburg and Astoria was better. Anytime seeing the Stones in a small venue is great !

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-28 12:45 by Doc.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:45

The Crystal Cat version of the Stockholm club gig is the best of the best, quality wise, unbelievable sound. I do agree however that the Club shows in the States, particularly Wiltern and the Roseland Ballroom were superior shows.

Personally, I think certainly performance-wise if not sound quality-wise, the Europe 95 club gigs are all superior with at least as good set lists (Down In The Bottom, Spider & The Fly, Rip This Joint, Still a Fool(!) and songs like Love In Vain which were surprises back then).

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 28, 2008 13:57

The Wiltern versions of CYHMK ,Stray Cat Blues and Beast of Burden are superb. Luckily 2 of them where released on Live Licks.

Roseland was a great show also,but was a rather poor recording.

Generally,I thought the initial US club shows were untouchable, performance wise.

sc uk

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:01

straycatuk
The Wiltern versions of CYHMK ,Stray Cat Blues and Beast of Burden are superb. Luckily 2 of them where released on Live Licks.

Roseland was a great show also,but was a rather poor recording.

Generally,I thought the initial US club shows were untouchable, performance wise.

sc uk

I thought CYHMK was the only Wiltern performance on Live Licks? I always thought Stray Cat Blues was from the Olympia. I think the version of Beat Of Burden on Four Flicks was the Wilten however.

I'm not entirely certain to be honest. It was 5 years ago!!!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:08

Cirkus Stockholm is the best soundwise, that was one hot show, and when we came out afterwards, the rain was cooling us down, before we had some beers at the Dubliner bar.....

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 28, 2008 21:18

OK -- the consensus SO FAR seems to be that Circus (Cirkus) Stockholm, esp the Crystal Cat version (or a cdr of it) which has the best sound.

I see no consensus as the best show performance-wise, but could be the Wiltern. ( was behind the Wiltern listening as best I could, could not get in.)

II. I also want to ask: are there any DVDs of any of the Licks club shows?

p

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 28, 2008 22:27

Performance-wise, the shows from the first leg of the tour (United States 2002) are superior to the European ones IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home