Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Setlists comparaison US/Europe
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 19, 2008 19:42

Why the hell do they play more songs in United States than in Europe. Every tour since 1969, mean it!!!

US tour '69 : 14-15 songs
Europe tour'70 : 13-14 songs
Britain Tour '71 : 12-13 songs

US tour '72 : 15-16 songs
Europe tour '73 : 14 songs

US tour '75 : 22-24 songs then 20 songs
Europe tour '76 : 18-19 songs

US tour '81 : 25-27 songs
Europe tour '82 : 23-24 songs

US tour '89 : 25-27 songs
Europe '90 : 22-24 songs

US tour '94 : 23-27 songs
Europe tour '95 : 22-23 songs

US tour '97 : 22-24 songs
Europe tour '98 : 21-22 songs

US tour '02 : 20-23 songs (Arena et Stadium)
Europe tour '03 : 19-20 songs

US tour '05 : 21-22 songs
Europe tour '06 : 19-20 songs
US tour '06 : 19-21 songs
Europe '07 : 18-19 songs

That's a fabulous injustice !!

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Re: Setlists comparaison US/Europe
Date: July 19, 2008 20:40

they pay more (when the dollar was stronger)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:16

No one paid more than in London. £165 or £330 for top priced tickets. And why is it that they always seem to play Memory Motel on some American dates but drop it in Europe?

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:18

I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's because they start in the US and they just drop songs as the tour grinds along.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:29

Cause in the US the fans demand their moneys worth or they riot!!! JUST KIDDING!
I dont have a clue why its different.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:32

I've seen just one Stones show in Europe, but I've seen other shows as well (all in London) and noticed that they tend to end earlier in the evening as compared to shows in America.
I assumed this was to accommodate the large numbers of people who use public transit there.
Still, that's no reason for the shorter set lists. They could simply start earlier.

At the House of Blues in my city, they have a curfew around 23:00-23:30 for the evening's main act so they can prepare for the late night techno/rave/whatever you call it stuff.
If there is any delay during the evening, it cuts short the main act's time on stage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:33

Silver Dagger
No one paid more than in London. £165 or £330 for top priced tickets. And why is it that they always seem to play Memory Motel on some American dates but drop it in Europe?

They played Memory Motel in Europe in 1998. Its on the Bremen show that was broadcast.

To answer the original question - as the tour goes on, they get bored and cant wait to get it over with.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:44

Gazza
To answer the original question - as the tour goes on, they get bored and cant wait to get it over with.[/quote

I even got that feeling in Astoria a bit. If only Mick Taylor would 've...

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:48

Astoria was their worst clubgig that tour

Date: July 19, 2008 21:51

Rik

Really? Wow! And to think I was so disappointed in not getting tickets for that one.
I got a really good show two nights later at Wembley Arena, though.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:14

Rik
Naah, cam on...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2008 01:13

Rik

It's all comparative I suppose. It was the only one I got to and I loved it.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 20, 2008 01:22

Americans have longer... attention spans - from the Ritalin.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 20, 2008 02:19

Gazza
To answer the original question - as the tour goes on, they get bored and cant wait to get it over with.

So why couldn't they begin the tour in Europe ??

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 20, 2008 07:19

It has nothing to do with any of this -- it is the Will of THE PLEXIGLASS that determines the setlist in terms of both choice and length.

You may say that this could only be since 89 when THE PLEXIGLASS made its debut, but to those of us who Believe, we KNOW it has always been around in its spiritual, if not corporeal, form and that it is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, was not made but begotten, has always been and will always be.

Believe!!!

p

Date: July 20, 2008 14:30

timbernardis
It has nothing to do with any of this -- it is the Will of THE PLEXIGLASS that determines the setlist in terms of both choice and length.

The stage manager could simply write smaller so as to fit more songs on the list! >grinning smiley<

Date: July 20, 2008 17:07

are you suggesting that THE PLEXIGLASS is the stage manager?? -- I might be able to accept that. I had traditionally thought of His role in terms of the set list but perhaps it is broader - does He direct everything that goes on on stage (as well as our lives)?

Perhaps, I will have to spiritually ponder this.

p

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 21, 2008 08:24

Natlanta
Americans have longer... attention spans - from the Ritalin.

Metadate, it lasts longer than ritalin.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:13

lamemodem2
I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's because they start in the US and they just drop songs as the tour grinds along.
yep. best time to see them during the vegas years is at the beginning of the tour when they are still fresh, its all downhill after the first month.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:51

Well, it is obvious that they play less songs here in Europe, but are the shows really shorter? I think that all the ABB shows were around 1h55min long. Don't they compensate the amount of the songs by the length of the songs? I am not sure. Well, I personally don't feel cheated or anything anyway.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 21, 2008 11:32

old story and discussed through all these years.
The ABB shows in 05 have been over two hours. The one in San Diego surpassed even 2:10 h as they did an incredible Midnight Rambler and 21 songs.
In 07 the shows tended to be 1:50 h. I think 1:50 h to 2 hours would be ok. At the end it's the people who cannot even watch and stay in the room for two hours.

I agree that Astoria was a disappointment compare to all other shows in 2003.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 21, 2008 12:25

There is a mistake in that list on the top: Europe 2008 didn't have 18-19 songs but 18-20 songs! Opening show at Werchter had 20 songs!

Date: July 21, 2008 16:05

RollingStonesFan
There is a mistake in that list on the top: Europe 2008 didn't have 18-19 songs but 18-20 songs! Opening show at Werchter had 20 songs!

are they touring europe now?

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:06

timbernardis
RollingStonesFan

yeah, haven't u noticed? Brno tomorrow, 22nd of july.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:44

The shorter set lists in Europe has always bothered me a little. I fail to see what boredom would have to do with it. Surely, there has to be another explanation. The Stones shouldn't bother if what Gazza suggesting is true, imo.

Perhaps, they just have a little more enthusiasm to begin with. In that case, please, please start in the UK next time!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 21, 2008 17:35

lodge
I agree that Astoria was a disappointment compare to all other shows in 2003.

I guess you mean to all other CLUB shows...
I partly agree since everyone was expecting Mick Taylor and there hasn't been any Mick Taylor appearance anywhere but in the audience.

BUT it was my 1st live rendition of a long-time hoped song : Ain't too proud To Beg.

As far as I am concerned the best club show in 2003 was Munich.
Paris comes 2nd.
Hard to make a difference between Utrecht and Astoria.
Didn't see Stockholm

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: July 21, 2008 18:49

Europe 2007 was really a disappointment compared to any astoria or licks shows.
they use BIG prices and they aint giving a great show with the songs you would like to listen to , right??
they just play the same : HTW , Sympathy , Satisfaction , Tumbling Dice , Brown Sugar , Start Me Up .... always the same! for a lot of money and no good playing.
i'd better stay home watching some bootleg dvds , then i dont waste hundreds of dollars on watching that kind of shows. ( went to London) , and it was disappointing.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 21, 2008 18:59

Well... I don't know, but they tend to be more ambitious with song ideas in the beginning -- i.e. in the US -- and then they drop songs that don't work so well. For some reason they don't seem to wanna add much when going to Europe. Seems like pace and flow is of higher priority.

But in '73 they tried several new songs in the beginning that they dropped.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 21, 2008 19:22

That is odd that they do less in the UK. You think they'd maybe not do more but the same as well as more interesting songs...being the homeland and all that.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 21, 2008 21:33

timbernardis
RollingStonesFan

Oooops! drinking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home