Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones taking themselves (too) seriously
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 19, 2008 05:18

A co-worker today said she believed the Stones were one of those acts that took themselves too seriously. I didn't totally agree with her. Take for example Mick's performance on SNL where he sits in front of a mirror with Jimmy Fallon acting as his mirror image. Any more examples showing the Stones aren't allways taking themselves too seriously and are capable of some self-mockery?

Re: Stones taking themselves (too) seriously
Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 19, 2008 06:05

Justin Timberlake in Toronto

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 19, 2008 07:03

Keith playing Put the lime in the Coconut in Aspen.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 19, 2008 07:46

well, when theyre on stage they're not taking them selves too seriously. They just come across like theyre having fun and that is part of what makes them such great entertainers.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 19, 2008 07:56

The Stones are not above 'cashing in.'

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:28

Nothing wrong with getting paid very well for having fun.

And I find Mick to be hilarious when he goes off and apes like that! Brilliant stuff.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 20, 2008 07:58

she says the Stones take themselves too seriously?... ask her if she's thinking of the right band.

who's a band she think doesn't take themselves too seriously? the Muppets?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 20, 2008 11:20

>> ask her if she's thinking of the right band. <<

i agree - it really sounds like she's confusing them with someone else.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 20, 2008 14:13

Could it be: 1- Your friend really doesn't know much about the Stones?
2_ Really doesn't have a clue about what she's talkin' 'bout? Take themselves too seriously - compared to whom?
3- Tried to annoy/hurt you? In that case - hang out with someone else at work! It's not like you have to take shit from her.
Try to get a picture of how much Stones history she knows. It sounds as if she's close to illiterate when it comes to the Stones. Because the fact is:
They're so full of self irony, it's amazing.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: July 20, 2008 14:57

Keith serious? Come on, Keith has been trying to figure out for the last forty odd years why people still are willing to pay him money to plink and plonk on his guitar...There is a person having a good time...

Date: July 20, 2008 15:01

I don't think the Stones take themselves too seriously.

I do think some people on this forum take themselves (and the band) too seriously.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 20, 2008 15:07

Don Henley takes himself very seriously( and that's fine with me, I don't care) but the RollingStones I don't think they do. They self-deprecate all the time even acknowledging their limited individual musical skills. They are a bunch of funny chaps;it's only rock and roll,baby.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 20, 2008 15:52

I think it's primairily the press and their promotors that take them too seriously. They're 'just' a rock 'n roll band, at least they were, and that was a cool image. They're now being treated as superhuman hollywood-stars, which doesn't suit them.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 20, 2008 16:56

I couldn't agree more. I for one think the Stones would benefit from taking themselves a bit more seriously. But of course, the Stones have never been a truly pretentious band.

The press, yes, that's another story...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 20, 2008 17:03

Sir Craven of Cottage

I do think some people on this forum take themselves (and the band) too seriously.

Quite !!

BTW ... ya gotta do something about this HP sauce thing you have, it's er .... 'orrible !!

Date: July 20, 2008 18:01

paulywaul
Sir Craven of Cottage

Quite !!

BTW ... ya gotta do something about this HP sauce thing you have, it's er .... 'orrible !!

HP sauce is what makes the world go round!!!!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 20, 2008 18:34

Nah, Daddies is miles better.

Date: July 20, 2008 18:39

Where IS the sauce thread that Sir Craven initiated ... it's bloody gone ? I can't find it. Has BV returned from his fishing trip and gone into DEL DEL DEL mode ? And all over a bottle of sauce ! Well I never !

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 20, 2008 19:11

Too seriously?? heck no....they are self-deprecating & somewhat carefree
in almost every interview.

Thank god they aren't like Henley, Bono & Sting.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2008 19:13

Britney
A co-worker today said she believed the Stones were one of those acts that took themselves too seriously. I didn't totally agree with her. Take for example Mick's performance on SNL where he sits in front of a mirror with Jimmy Fallon acting as his mirror image. Any more examples showing the Stones aren't allways taking themselves too seriously and are capable of some self-mockery?

I honestly cant think of any act in history who takes themselves LESS seriously.

Date: July 20, 2008 19:24

Gazza
Britney

I honestly cant think of any act in history who takes themselves LESS seriously.

Dunno about that. I do think the Stones fall more into the category of (yes admittedly) not taking themselves that seriously, but I do think they remain motivated and caring enough to actually try and put on a good show whenever they play. I know they're erratic in their abilty to actually deliver on this, we've all seen/heard countless trainwreck versions of this n' that, but with respect to it at least being their INTENTION to always deliver the goods (regardless of whether on any given occasion they actually succeed or not), I think they ARE kinda serious - don't you ?

Seriousness and irreverence I think need to be separated here. They're wonderfully irreverent (I think that's partly why we love 'em so), but in some respects they most definitely do take "it" and "themselves" a little bit seriously.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 20, 2008 19:30

paulywaul
I do think the Stones fall more into the category of (yes admittedly) not taking themselves that seriously, but I do think they remain motivated and caring enough to actually try and put on a good show whenever they play.

Taking their musicianship and performance seriously have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
to do with the question. You don't see the difference??

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 21, 2008 15:55

paulywaul
Gazza
Britney

Dunno about that. I do think the Stones fall more into the category of (yes admittedly) not taking themselves that seriously, but I do think they remain motivated and caring enough to actually try and put on a good show whenever they play. I know they're erratic in their abilty to actually deliver on this, we've all seen/heard countless trainwreck versions of this n' that, but with respect to it at least being their INTENTION to always deliver the goods (regardless of whether on any given occasion they actually succeed or not), I think they ARE kinda serious - don't you ?

Seriousness and irreverence I think need to be separated here. They're wonderfully irreverent (I think that's partly why we love 'em so), but in some respects they most definitely do take "it" and "themselves" a little bit seriously.

Well, they take their music seriously - they wouldnt have lasted ten minutes otherwise - but i think what we're getting at is their persona

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:01

"I honestly cant think of any act in history who takes themselves LESS seriously."

A few examples

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:13

Any questions?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:17

Any questions? - yes. What DID happen to the HP v Daddies thread? Too saucy?

Date: July 21, 2008 19:20

sweet neo con
paulywaul
I do think the Stones fall more into the category of (yes admittedly) not taking themselves that seriously, but I do think they remain motivated and caring enough to actually try and put on a good show whenever they play.

Taking their musicianship and performance seriously have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
to do with the question. You don't see the difference??

OF COURSE I see the difference ... thank you very bloody much. But the point I was making is that they're a cocktail, self mockery, self parody, irreverence, not taking a whole loada things seriously ..... intertwined with the other. And therein lies a lot of their charm and appeal, at least it does for me.

Date: July 21, 2008 19:31

Why, I've never been so insulted - I'm VERY serious about not being taken seriously. Er, I mean, as a Stones fan, I'm not serious at all about having any seriousness to whether or not -

There's basically ZERO guitar in Too Much Blood. What the hell is up with that?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 21, 2008 19:35

Better than that talentless whore Madonna preaching Kaboolie down our throats w/one hand whilst kidnapping I mean adopting children from Africa and behaving like a black baby is something other than a chic fashion accessesory this season. Um, Madge, plenty of white babies in the UK/USA/Europe need a home, too. But then it wouldn't get nearly as much PRESS, now would it, plastic surgery face?

Date: July 21, 2008 19:38

Kaboolie. Does that come with Kool-Aid? I hope so. Maybe I'll start my own business and have it served in a caboose.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home