Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Could Bill play on Stones albums?
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:06

Then he could be part of the band while Darryl could do the touring. The fans would get to have Bill's get playing on record and he could avoid airplane travel. Also, this might eliminate the row between him and The Stones. Meanwhile it seems no one really cares to have Darryl pretend to be a Stone. Although he is a great talent.
Just wondering!

Re: Could Bill play on Stones albums?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:25

frankotero
Also, this might eliminate the row between him and The Stones.

Why would he go to the studio with them then?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:30

I'm not aware of any 'row'?

Date: July 16, 2008 16:34

Happy24 wrote: Why would he go to the studio with them then?

Because his style fits the Stones better than Darryls. And it would be a more Stonesy record, I believe. For example I was listening to "let me down slow" the other day and though it's already a great track, but it would be more of a classic with Bill's "famous" swing style.

Also my point about Darryl is that he seems to be a substitute. Why not let Bill play on the records and have Darryl do the touring.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:49

Ablett wrote: I'm not aware of any 'row'?

I thought there's been some tension between them since he left. Minus Charlie- supposedly they still keep in touch. Also, I've heard that Bill won't sign any Stones stuff theses days. Maybe he's angry over amount of royalies and songwriting credit?

Anyhow my point is that it would be great to have Bill recorded with The Stones rather than a substitute. Even though Darryl is great, he's not a Stone.

I'll add that I'm able to accept Woody as Mick T's replacement, althought I prefer Taylor's capability. Ultimately Woody plays the part much better.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:51

He COULD but he WON'T.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:01

I always thought Bills reasoning for resignation was primarily down to touring. With that in mind, you would of thought the possibility of him just participating in the studio as an option. Obviously not though. He may of thought it was an 'all or nothing' kind of thing.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:02

frankotero
Happy24 wrote: Why would he go to the studio with them then?

Because his style fits the Stones better than Darryls. And it would be a more Stonesy record, I believe. For example I was listening to "let me down slow" the other day and though it's already a great track, but it would be more of a classic with Bill's "famous" swing style.

Also my point about Darryl is that he seems to be a substitute. Why not let Bill play on the records and have Darryl do the touring.

Yea, I agree with you that Bill's playing would be good for the Stones' records.But I still can't see why would Bill do that - he left because he wanted to, not that they didn't let him play spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. Anyway, do you think that the only reason why Bill left was the travelling? I don't think so, but I would like to be wrong. But still, I don't think he will ever join the Stones again.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 16, 2008 19:06

do you mean could he, or did he?

he barely played on some records in the 70s--check the credits for Exile, for example.

I think there grew to be too much waiting around in the studio to suit bill. Maybe it's different now, but I think they still "camp out" for days when they record.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 16, 2008 19:15

Bill wasn't credited on some tracks, eg Tumbling Dice. The bass credit goes to Mick Taylor but bill played the bass on this track. Also (on Exile) his bass part was occasionally wiped off by Keith who would re-record his own bass part.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:04

I said I would stop playing with the band after 30 years. I did. That's all. There is no reason for him to come back. I think he doesn't want to.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:08

Could Bill play on Stones albums?

well, as fas as I know, he already did play on one or two of their albums so yeah, I think he could.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:52

oh sure let bill play on the future studio albums and while were at it why not have mick taylor play the solos on there future albums as well .pure FANTASY never will happen

Date: July 16, 2008 21:20

I believe in theory he could, as he is still alive. The Stones don't make albums anymore and studio recordings are rare for them.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 16, 2008 21:51

WeLoveYou
Bill wasn't credited on some tracks, eg Tumbling Dice. The bass credit goes to Mick Taylor but bill played the bass on this track. Also (on Exile) his bass part was occasionally wiped off by Keith who would re-record his own bass part.

could be, but I don't know where you're getting that from. There are plenty of accounts of bill's absence from the studio throughout the 70s. And during Exile, he was living rather far away from Nellcote.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 16, 2008 21:51

Yep, he certainly could !

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 16, 2008 21:53

frankotero

I kinda see your point but it would maybe be a bit undignified for The Munch to be deemed good enough to play with the live band but not the studio band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2008 22:01

Don't forget Bill has mentioned on a few occasions that he never liked Keith and Micks tunes. Why would they want him back to record. What a slap in the face. Ronnie, Keith, Taylor, Jones all better bass player than him anyways.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 17, 2008 00:43

Frankotero, you are definitely barking up the wrong tree. Bill quit voluntarily, 15 years ago. End of story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-17 00:45 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 17, 2008 00:56

cc
WeLoveYou

could be, but I don't know where you're getting that from. There are plenty of accounts of bill's absence from the studio throughout the 70s. And during Exile, he was living rather far away from Nellcote.

Bill talks about playing bass on TD in his book Stone Alone.

I read in a magazine article about Exile that Keith had wiped a couple of bass parts so he could re-record them, can't remember which mag though...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 17, 2008 03:22

he was asked to play on some BTB tracks but he turned the stones down, so i guess they think its ok, bill is the one avoiding it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home