Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: JAKE'S LIST - 6 Best Overlooked Songs in Rock TV History !!!
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 24, 2008 22:42

After many many beers late last night Jake told me that these were the 6 best OVERLOOKED songs in the world - he said it was a FACT. He was ready to put some serious money down on it.... is he full of it or is he correct. If not, name your 6 best OVERLOOKED TV Songs (no Beatles, Stones, Zep, Doors, etc - these are less known bands and performers).....

Re: OT: JAKE'S LIST - 6 Best Overlooked Songs in Rock TV History !!!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 24, 2008 22:50

1 and 6 will do

Date: June 24, 2008 22:55

Good choices NICOS

Posted by: Des ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:09

I will confirm that Fire (45 rpm) and Kicks (had the album) were the types of songs I liked in the sixties. Funny, a guy just gave me a couple of sixties hits CD's he burned and these two songs were on them and jumped right out at me.

Son of a Preacher man has it all, great version too.

If I could add a song I have more recently appreciated is one that constantly turns up on top lists, God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:39

Helter - Tell Jake that he's done a good job. I've never seen any of these before...1, 2, & 6 are tops

REM doesn't belong on this list, though a good version.

I'd sub this one in for REM.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 25, 2008 00:09

Check out those backup dancers for Paul Revere and the Raiders. Must be bad acid.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 25, 2008 00:43

Wow - censorship on the board today.

I typed a post in this thread "who the F is Jake", and now it's gone. I guess only Keith Richards can get away with that kind of talk, not us commoners - you know, the hard working people.

Date: June 25, 2008 22:44

CC, I didn't see anything cause I was involved in a lot of work yesterday so wasn't on the computer....

Who's Jake ?

His Resume (short version):

Neighborhood bully (but not to me cause he was a stamp collector and my Uncle always gave him tons of foreign stamps)

Neighborhood Rebel - started driving his mom's car around (without her permission) at about 13/14 yrs old - no license, all the cops knew him and drove him home MANY TIMES.

Biggest drug user we knew. His most famous drug moment was when he took some LSD, start sniffing Petrol/gas vapors , and "Turned around and saw red arrows flying out of his ass"

Sometimes he owned the street. If I had a friend visiting sometimes he'd be forced to go to the end of the street (it was a cul-de-sac), turn around, and scream "Dear Mr. Jake - name of street - , would you be so kind as let me come on to your street?" Then Jake would tell you yes or no. If he said No you would have to wait 15 minutes and try again.

Biggest STONES fan in the world. Stole a car 8 track tape player with some giant speakers and a car battery, hooked the whole thing up in his bedroom (which faced the street) and would play LET IT BLEED 24 hours a day.... I still remember walking home from school and hearing GIMME SHELTER pouring out of his bedroom at maximum volume onto the street. He went to both STONES 1969 shows at the LA FORUM. Got up against the stage of course, where else??

Was a big hit with the ladies (he kinda looked like Jagger from around 67 - light brown hair) Used to save something from his dates in his wallet - kind gross now..

Neighborhood Peeping Tom - could tell you how almost every mom and sister/daughter(16 and up) looked nude if they were cute enough. Got busted ALL THE TIME by the ladies... some thought it was funny, some didn't.......

EVERY Neighborhood has a Jake I think... this one comes back once in a while and stops by.... I'm still shocked that he's still alive... ONE CRAZY DUDE !!!!

Yeah WM, BOOKER T. works better than REM (but I ain't telling Jake, he might cut me or something) Good suggestion....

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: June 27, 2008 00:27

The lady in No. 1 has one mean walk.

Date: July 1, 2008 01:19

Does anybody know who the lady in the first video is?

Date: July 1, 2008 01:21

mrgrowl791
Does anybody know who the lady in the first video is?

Joss Stone

Date: July 1, 2008 02:51

thank you very much!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 1, 2008 03:39

A few comments:

1. Joss looks great - Dusty Springfield owns this song though.

2. That's the much underrated Mark Lindsay singing for the Raiders. Paul is on keyboards.

3. Don't know this one. Pretty cool though .... and the singer's pants deserve some kind of award.

4. The song that The Stones need to cover. Just great.

5. Wichita Lineman - done better by many others, including the Stones. Check out Freedy Johnston's most excellent version.

6. One of the freakiest songs ever. I remember this when I was a kid.

Bonus:

WMiller's post of Booker T.

If ya think the chicks with the Raiders were groovy and happening, check these babes out! Steve Cropper - WOW! My second favorite guitar player behind Keith.

Date: July 1, 2008 17:21

Elmo - Another Booker T - - Time Is Tight. I got turned on to this watching a Staxx Records show on PBS a year or so back. I thing its GREAT footage.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 1, 2008 17:41

Booker T. & the M. G.'s should be required listening for all aspiring musicians .... and everyone else!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home