Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine a light disappointment (and not deception)
Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: June 15, 2008 10:56

I am an old rolling stones fan... I have seen many bigger bang shows (and others) in Europe. Some of them were very very great.

On one of them (Nice France August 8 2006) , each fan in the Fos section agrees it was the best show they have been to.. with no exception. We were amazed.. the stones were the best of the best, very far from others.

I have the bootleg of this show (average recording) and I have compared it with the Shine a light Cd I bought.

What a disappointment!!! I think the interpretation on shine a light is rather muddy, with a lack of energy.. Mick singing is not at the top, the guitars are lost, like the stones tried to play and sound as another band (FM rock ?). I do not recognize our men on this CD..

So I won't go to see the movie...

Am I the only one to have such an opinion ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-16 21:40 by RiffKichards.

Re: Shine a light deception
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 15, 2008 12:16

Many whiners, tho most of them - opposed to you -
seem to have made up their minds in advance.

I still havent seen since I live at the end of the world
& have a half Kindergarten to look after.

But the soundtrack is great; yet I have quite a few remarks smiling smiley .

Posted by: Guba ()
Date: June 15, 2008 14:09

Hey RiffKichards!

Where can I get that boot from the Nice show, that you mention?

Thanks.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:37

To compare the experience of a great show in the front rows with watching a movie even in the best format possible(Imax) is risky. Nothing can be better than to be at a show close to the stage on a night when The Stones are on fire. That experience is unique. Now anything that you are going to experience after that will probably be "not as great as that night". But don't be too extreme with yourself because you are only "punishing" ourself in that case by not going at a movie that is a good movie.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 15, 2008 16:31

RiffKichards
Mick singing is not at the top, the guitars are lost, like the stones tried to play and sound as another band (FM rock ?). I do not recognize our men on this CD..

So I won't go to see the movie...

Am I the only one to have such an opinion ?

Riff - if you go back and re-read the threads surrounding these shows, you will see that Mick was not feeling well when this was recorded. The second show, which is I believe most of Shine A Light songs are from, was actually postponed a night due to Mick being ill. Give the guy a break, he's only human.

As for not seeing the film, chacun son gout, but you are missing out, it's a fantastic movie.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: June 15, 2008 20:51

rollmops
To compare the experience of a great show in the front rows with watching a movie even in the best format possible(Imax) is risky. Nothing can be better than to be at a show close to the stage on a night when The Stones are on fire. That experience is unique. Now anything that you are going to experience after that will probably be "not as great as that night". But don't be too extreme with yourself because you are only "punishing" ourself in that case by not going at a movie that is a good movie.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I understand your position and I agree with you.. it is a good talk.

But when I listen to the shine a light CD I am not satisfied. Other fans can find this CD beautiful, it is a matter of taste... each Rolling Stones record is unique and different, each of us has its favourites (fortunately).
I have been so enthusiastic with this bigger bang tour (too much ?), that I am disapointed with Shine a Light.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 15, 2008 21:41

I was at both shows - Nice and Beacon. I was front row at Nice and there were aspects of that show that made it personally memorable (a funny interaction with the band after SOL) but the set list was rather blah, as I remember. I recall hearing some people say they "called in that show". So I wouldn't call it the best.

Date: June 15, 2008 21:56

little queenie
I was at both shows - Nice and Beacon. I was front row at Nice and there were aspects of that show that made it personally memorable (a funny interaction with the band after SOL) but the set list was rather blah, as I remember. I recall hearing some people say they "called in that show". So I wouldn't call it the best.

Really ?.. here again it is a matter of taste. In Nice, I had loved "not you again.." and "streets of love" (and Sympathy FTD, and keith's performance, and Midnight rambler and ..). I agree that the setlist was a classical one...

And what do you mean by "called that show" ? (English is not my natural language).

And, you were at the O2 didn't you ? (I had an extra ticket and you were interested to buy this if I remember well). I was at the O2 for the last two shows.. the sound was awful the 23 of August, and the last show were nice but not exceptional.
I have prefered their performance in Slane (in Ireland) the week ago. But I know I am extremely exacting... but they are the best.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 16, 2008 03:03

"called in that show" means that they didn't seem to put any special effort into it - like someone who does something mechanically - without thought.

regarding a matter of taste - the 02 shows were a good example of how taste may differ. i thought the first was the best - mostly because of set list, though it seems that only gazza and i agree on that. everyone else liked the 2nd one best - because of the energy that was particularly high that night.

i guess i'm a setlist kind of gal and the setlist for the beacon wins hands down for me.

i think i remember our potential ticket dealings. i ended up getting "side-of-stage" tix released last minute from ticketmaster for the first two shows that put me practically on the stage for half-price. i'm sure you were able to sell yours?

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: June 16, 2008 06:04

theyre an old band , what theyve been doing is excellent , but shine a light wasnt the best you can get these days.
we all should try to listen different stuff.
we cant always be talking like this about them , the big age for them has already ended , they can go on tour again , but what do you want from them ???
sal being a deception is exagerating , what should i want from them when they are at that age ? it always seems like fans want them to be like back in their days in the 70's. they cant be like that anymore.
accept them like they are. they are having bad nights more often , so what??? they did what they could , if they couldnt make it was that they just couldnt.
they cant be any super band anymore , it's already just memories from all of the fans. there are lots of new bands , something different to listen to , why always being arguing about if they were drunk , drugged , or if theyre old.
i have almost all of the abb bootlegs , for example , as some people said slane was amazing , i think it was , i can imagine the emotions every fan can get , but they cant play good anymore , i just listened to it , and it was so bad.
i dont think we can get anything from them. its hard to think about that with myself , i always love them and im always thinking about them , but they cant play like i would like them to anymore.I like them a lot , but all its over for them on stage. you have to accept it and if you dont want to , someday you will.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-16 06:14 by mexicostone.

Date: June 16, 2008 13:49

mexicostone
theyre an old band , what theyve been doing is excellent , but shine a light wasnt the best you can get these days.
we all should try to listen different stuff.
we cant always be talking like this about them , the big age for them has already ended , they can go on tour again , but what do you want from them ???
sal being a deception is exagerating , what should i want from them when they are at that age ? it always seems like fans want them to be like back in their days in the 70's. they cant be like that anymore.
accept them like they are. they are having bad nights more often , so what??? they did what they could , if they couldnt make it was that they just couldnt.
they cant be any super band anymore , it's already just memories from all of the fans. there are lots of new bands , something different to listen to , why always being arguing about if they were drunk , drugged , or if theyre old.
i have almost all of the abb bootlegs , for example , as some people said slane was amazing , i think it was , i can imagine the emotions every fan can get , but they cant play good anymore , i just listened to it , and it was so bad.
i dont think we can get anything from them. its hard to think about that with myself , i always love them and im always thinking about them , but they cant play like i would like them to anymore.I like them a lot , but all its over for them on stage. you have to accept it and if you dont want to , someday you will.

Some of their last performances (2006) were very great and I simply regret that SAL does not reflect this quality. But it is usual for me to be disappointed by one of their Live CD... As an example, I don't like Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, I prefer their performances with Mick Taylor around the year 1973 (Brussels as an example).

They are getting old, we are getting old and this last tour is a pure miracle... as wrote a french newspaper : "The rolling stones are not old, they are coming from outter space". We are lucky to be fan of such a band... I am lucky to have seen them from FOS section when they were on fire...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-16 21:42 by RiffKichards.

Date: June 16, 2008 13:57

little queenie

regarding a matter of taste - the 02 shows were a good example of how taste may differ. i thought the first was the best - mostly because of set list, though it seems that only gazza and i agree on that. everyone else liked the 2nd one best - because of the energy that was particularly high that night.

i guess i'm a setlist kind of gal and the setlist for the beacon wins hands down for me.

i think i remember our potential ticket dealings. i ended up getting "side-of-stage" tix released last minute from ticketmaster for the first two shows that put me practically on the stage for half-price. i'm sure you were able to sell yours?

The sound on the place I were on the second night at the O2 was very very loud... impossible to appreciate anything. The third and last night was Ok but I think Keith looked a little bit tired (like he was from time to time on this year 2006 - see all the messages about this topic.. stop bashing keith and so on...).

If I remember well, he ticket you bought were situated behind the amplifiers (I don't know exactly the name in English... the huge golden stuff in the air where the music sprayed). I think the sound were OK in this section. You are lucky.

I have sold my extra ticket with no problem.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2008 15:08

i have said this before that the cd for shine a light was mixed differently than the movie for shine a light .in the movie the guitars for keith and ronnie are mixed loud and proud as they should be ,but not on the cd soundtrack,they are mixed down which i do not prefer .p.s. the last night in london at the 02 arena was magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Shine a Light what?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 16, 2008 15:36

>> it is usual for me to be deceived by one of their Live CD <<

aha (maybe!): are you confusing the words "deceived" and "disappointed"? and "deception"/"disappointment"?
i can be sorry for you for being disappointed, but i can't understand at all what "deceived/deception" have to do with it.

if you mean "disappointed" and "disappointment" it might help the whole discussion
if you used the "edit post" button to change the word in the thread title and in your posts.
just a suggestion - do whatever you want, of course ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-16 15:37 by with sssoul.

Date: June 16, 2008 16:13

with sssoul

aha (maybe!): are you confusing the words "deceived" and "disappointed"? and "deception"/"disappointment"?
i can be sorry for you for being disappointed, but i can't understand at all what "deceived/deception" have to do with it.

if you mean "disappointed" and "disappointment" it might help the whole discussion
if you used the "edit post" button to change the word in the thread title and in your posts.

Yes !!! you are right... I mistook (I had a look to the English/French dictionary). I would say "disappointment" or "disappointed" and certainly not "deception" or "deceived" !! That's an horrible misunderstanding !!!

And thank you very much for your help...

Date: June 16, 2008 21:46

with sssoul

I have replaced "deceived" by "disappointed" and "deception" by "disappointment" in all my messages (since I mistook on the meaning of these words).

Again, thank you ssoul.

Re: Shine a light disappointment (and not deception)
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:58

Go see the film. Its fun despite being a late concert film. The ONLY negative for me (aside from the fact that its a later period concert film), is that the camera focuses 99.9% of the time on Mick. There are moments when Ronnie/Keith are soloing and the camera is focused on Jagger dancing. Irritating beyond belief. But if you can get past the Mick Jagger show, you'll enjoy it.

Charlie Watts is hardly seen at all on film...

Re: Shine a light disappointment (and not deception)
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 18, 2008 17:22

I loved Shine A Light....especially the middle part of the setlist.

One thing I've noticed with the Stones, though, is that it seems they play better when they aren't being filmed. I think the filming must be a bit stressful. That being said, I still think it was great and can't wait to purchase the dvd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home