Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Most "Dated" Stones Album?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 14, 2008 22:56

What is the most dated Stones album in your opinion? Some candidates that come to mind; Between The Buttons, Satanic Majesties and Some Girls in a way (great album but sounds a little dated). What do you think?

Re: The Most "Dated" Stones Album?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:02

"Undercover" is dated the most IMHO, though it's quite new.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:03

Satanic Majesties hands down. Most musical styles come and go and come again but psychedelic never really came back.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:24

How can Some Girls be dated? It makes no sense at all to mention Some Girls... The other 2 choices of Frank are good choices though. So are Dirty Work and Steel Wheels; because of the production - not because of Rolling Stones

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:03

Undercover, Satanic Majesties, Aftermath and BTB sound dated to me (though I love these albums)

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:15

anything before voodoo is dated either because the songs are written in a now unrecognizable style or because the production value is so low, or because production techniques have moved beyond the point that those albums were made.

OLDKR

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:21

Anything from the 80's.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:22

oldkr
anything before voodoo is dated either because the songs are written in a now unrecognizable style or because the production value is so low, or because production techniques have moved beyond the point that those albums were made.

OLDKR

Funny guy! Another joke....come on...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-15 12:17 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:22

between the buttons and Satanic are defineltley a product of their time, but I think they still hold up today and sound great. IMO the psychedellic vibe of it doesn't cover up a lack of substance to the music.

theres certian production elements of the Dirty Work and Steel Wheels albums that don't sound good, but I guess they were using the latest thing back then. I'd go with those two as the most dated even though I still like hearing a few songs on them.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-15 00:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:29

Guess it depends on how you define "dated" in this case.
Something that's "dated," to me, is something I don't pay attention to anymore.
I get around to listening to all of the Stones' catalog at some time or another, so none of it is really "dated" as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:58

Some Girls, hands down...tired of Miss You to the B-stage...I always hated that song, but only half as much as Angie..

JR

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:58

FrankM
What is the most dated Stones album in your opinion? Some candidates that come to mind; Between The Buttons, Satanic Majesties and Some Girls in a way (great album but sounds a little dated). What do you think?

I dont think Some Girls sounds remotely dated. Cant understand how anyone can think that.

The other two you mentioned are certainly candidates - especially Satanic Majesties.

I'd add Steel Wheels, despite its relative youth and the fact the Stones have only made three albums since. 80's style production hasnt aged very well in general.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:03

Hey, GAZ, Some Girls is played out...just admit it....its over. Good thing we have Beggars, Bleed, Exile and Yayas...

JR

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:07

If one defines "dated" as "having characteristics that indicate having been created in a specific time," I'd go with Satanic Majesties. All the psychedelic gobbledegook that is otherwise missing from their work screams 1967-68.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:07

stone-relics
Hey, GAZ, Some Girls is played out...just admit it....its over.

JR

What's "over" ? LOL

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:40

Steel Wheels has aged imo, due to its production and also to a lesser extent, some of the songs.

I'm not so sure about Satanic Majestys. Its kind of in its own world in terms of style and sound. The Stones never sounded the same before or since. Its a hard record to categorise.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 15, 2008 02:06

Well , I've got " Englands Newest Hitmakers " on vinyl . With the photo . They don't get much older than that !!

Also a mono UK mono copy of the same LP .

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 15, 2008 02:08

baxlap
If one defines "dated" as "having characteristics that indicate having been created in a specific time," I'd go with Satanic Majesties. All the psychedelic gobbledegook that is otherwise missing from their work screams 1967-68.

Yeah I was using the word in that sense. That's why I included Some Girls. I meant sounding as if you could pinpoint the timeframe not dated as in I can't listen to it anymore. I still listen to SMR, BTB and SG although SG has two of maybe a handful of Stones songs that I am sick of (Miss You and Beast Of Burden).

To me SG has a sound that is unmistakably seventees whereas their other seventees albums have some songs that sound more modern.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: June 15, 2008 03:55

What is 'dated' by now, will be a great 'hit' the next year

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 15, 2008 04:08

No album, but one song; "Miss You". (this is written by one who otherwise like 70s disco)

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 15, 2008 05:06

....... there all dated!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 15, 2008 05:57

Is their a difference between "dated" and not relavent? In either case I think it's anything before Beggar's.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 15, 2008 08:04

after we're all dead and gone, nothing will be "dated" and their whole body of work be regarded as classic, much like shakespeare's or beethoven's work is thought of today.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 15, 2008 13:08

A Bigger Bang. Dated already.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 15, 2008 13:18

Only one. Dirty Work, dreadful mix and drum sound

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 15, 2008 13:20

Dated in terrms of sound, imo, means something that doesn't sound 'fresh' or 'curent'. Something which sounds and feels like it was from a different age.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 15, 2008 14:28

Unfortunately it's gotta be A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:07

Most of their albums sound pretty dated to me. This includes Beggar's, LIB, Fingers, Exile and Some Girls. Heck, even Bridges sounds dated, but it's all part of the charm.

If we talk dated in a bad way, then it's Satanic, Undercover and Dirty Work probably. Maybe also Steel Wheels.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:21

Though it's not a Stones album, She's The Boss, specifically produced in a manner so that it might try and compete for radio airplay with the likes of Prince and Madonna, and introduce the 42-year-old Mick as a NEW ARTIST to the teenyboppers of 1985, is the most atrociously dated Stones-related music ever released.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:23

JumpingKentFlash
Most of their albums sound pretty dated to me. This includes Beggar's, LIB, Fingers, Exile and Some Girls.

What on earth are you talking about. These albums are not dated. They are timeless.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home