Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: New Bob Dylan Interview and Bootleg Series 8 this year
Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: October 3, 2008 17:44

It won't be long before illegal downloads will be available. Tomorrow the album will be released in Germany (actually the release was and still is scheduled for today, 3rd of october but nobody has been thinking far enough to notice that this is the German national holiday). Some shops already offered it yesterday, so as I said: it won't be long.

Tomorrow, I'll listen for the first time. Can't wait to do so!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 3, 2008 18:58

Got mine delivered today - 3 days before the release date.

A really beautifully assembled package, it has to be said, despite the hefty price.

Listening to disc 3 for the first time now.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 3, 2008 20:25

mine didn't arrive today thumbs down

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 7, 2008 10:22

Mine arrived today. It's a magnificent package and well worth £90...if I keep saying that eventually I'll believe it.

Actually it is a magnificent package and while grossly overpriced I don't regret getting it.

Date: October 7, 2008 10:31

Braincapers
Mine arrived today. It's a magnificent package and well worth £90...if I keep saying that eventually I'll believe it.

Actually it is a magnificent package and while grossly overpriced I don't regret getting it.

my thoughts exactly....just a little bit disappointed, that the
presentation box isn't a little more sturdy.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 7, 2008 13:06

Gazza
Got mine delivered today - 3 days before the release date.

A really beautifully assembled package, it has to be said, despite the hefty price.

Listening to disc 3 for the first time now.

It's a superb thing. I got the overpriced version too. Love Disc 3.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 7, 2008 13:45

My 3CD version arrived this morning JUST as I was leaving for work.

...bloody typical.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 8, 2008 05:27

Gazza or anyone else who got the big box CD set...

How are the CDs stored? Do they come in a special holder or is it a typical jewel case? Wondering how accessible and convenient the CDs are for it to be sepearated from the set.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 8, 2008 07:31

I picked up the two-CD set on the way home from work (my ordered copy of the three-discer didn't arrive today). I've gotten through most of it in car rides and was quite impressed.

The alternate versions sound like completely different songs. Red River Shore and Dreamin' of You are revelations, as good as anything on Time Out of Mind.

I was glad to see that Freddy Koella gets his props with the 2003 live version of High Water. When he was good, Freddy was pretty good; but, when he was bad, he seemed just lost.

Come back Larry Campbell! All is forgiven!

Date: October 8, 2008 10:33

The 3CD edition comes in a box with two hard backed books. One of them is a special edition of the CD booklet (Ratso's notes, song notes etc) and the 3 CDs are in the book at the back. You can store the CDs separately but you will need your own cover/sleeve.

Date: October 8, 2008 10:45

Braincapers
You can store the CDs separately but you will need your own cover/sleeve.

..which is exactly what i'm going to do.
I'm not one for opening up deluxe boxes, everytime i want to listen
to some music. I'll put the cd's in jewel cases, and keep the box/book, on a shelf somewhere, to collect dust.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2008 23:51

I've been listening to the 2CD version, while waiting for the boxes to arrive...and I'm astonished - allthough I excpected a lot. It's an excellent release in every way; - and it'll do for me while waiting for Volume 9 in the series; which will feature Earls Court or Blackbushe 1978....as I presume Dylan and Columbia Records will be reading this thread - and my wishes for the next installment.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 9, 2008 00:43

I can't get over just how jaw-droppingly great the ENTIRE set is. I've been listening to it end to end, then going back and listening to it again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2008 10:08

I just listened the 2 CD version.

I need to say that originally I didn't find the idea of covering this particular period very intersting, but man, was I wrong!!!! This is an important release. It belongs to the same level as his recent' masterpieces OH MERCY, TIME OUT OF MIND,LOVE & THEFT and MORDERN TIMES, or to say it more accurately: it fulfills them beautifully, and gives the evidence that these albums are really gems, and this guy is as good - or better - as he ever was.

I am reeeaaallllyyyyyyyy impressed of the high quality of this material, and how strong his 'recent' songs are - these wonderful alternate takes make that point home. (This 'bootleg series' format is a great format to give the possibilty to release the 'other' versions - the decision which takes to put on the album so not seem to be absolute or final)

Yeah, to repeat myself: this is an IMPORTANT release, in dylanwise or whateverwise - the best album I've heard for a long time.

- Doxa

Date: October 10, 2008 11:02

One of the things that has struck me is it doesn't matter whether the alternate versions are better or worse than the 'proper' versions. In fact it almost feels that there aren't proper versions of these songs anymore.

Hearing the way which songs changed over different takes could be dreadful but with Bob it's just marvellous.

Some of Bob's albums could easily be rereleased as dbls. Infidels and BOTT could easily be done so.

Love to a Bootleg series from the Stones.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: October 10, 2008 11:37

This is a very impressing release. What struck me most after the first few listenings is how incredibly coherent this album sounds. I never had the impression to listen to just a bunch of outtakes, alternate versions and live cuts... it sounds like an album and for me one of the most charming effects is that the BS8 creates some kind of connection between Bob's albums of the past 20 years. Or at least it makes this connection more clearly and logically visible.

There is not much to criticise here (if we forget for a moment about the obscure strategies behind the prices). The only thing is that I can't really connect to the acoustic Most of the time which does not match the spooky, sinister Oh Mercy take.

Apart from that one highlight follow the other: I personally love the alternate Someday Baby which allows you to just float away with it. Beautiful vocals! Can't escape from you, Huck's Tune, Red River Shore the beautiful alternate takes of Can't wait (especially on disc 3), the fiery live performances of Cold Irons Bound, Lonesome Day Blues, High Water... I realize I would have to mention almost every song if I wanted to talk about my favourites.

One question I have though: where the heck are the complete Bromberg Sessions??? After listening to Miss the Mississippi I really would love to listen to them in their entity.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2008 11:45

Braincapers

Love to a Bootleg series from the Stones.

Say no more!

Taking the attitude among us fans, it should be called THE WET DREAM SERIES.

(It is a shame that The Stones think themselves more as a pop or business entity that tries solely to maximise the short-term profits (touring and releasing these expensive souvenier DVDs from their current affairs the stores are full of nowadays),and not really trying to give of themselves and of their legacy any better representation. Maybe there will be those 'bootleg series' by the Stones some day when the band is dead and gone, but I am afraid the people who seriously might be interested in them might be also dead and gone by then. I think Dylan showed a really nice example how continuing the career and still being respectful to one's past (in terms of its own) can be done at the same time.)

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 10, 2008 12:29

Just got my two disc version last night and heard it on the way in to work this morning. Superb. For all those cats that can't get into this new era gravelly voiced Dylan I have this to say - if you ever liked the man than this album, more than any other in the last 30 years, reveals the true genius of perhaps the 20th century's single greatest songwriter. The fact that he can squeeze so many different emotions and musical ideas out of a song - check out Ring Them Bells or Most Of The Time - beggars belief. I can't imagine The Beatles or The Stones doing that. So while Bob may not have the voice of old, then dig him for what he is - a genius growing older still able to cast a unique spell over his audience. It's Bob the man I'm interested in hearing nowadays not some velvet voiced tin pan alley song and dance man.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2008 17:28

Recieved the 3 disk special edition, and though a bit pricey. it's worth every penny...beautiful!
Easily the best album/compilation of the decade.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

The Beatles, Neil Young, and Dylan releasing archives...a dream come true.
What the f*ck is wrong with the Stones?
They're missing an opportunity to join the club, while depriving fans in the process,
Truly idiotic on their part.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 16, 2008 17:41

Also recieved the 3CDbox; which I haven't dared to open yet...will listen to the 2CD for a bit longer, first. But no sign of the vinylbox...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 17:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 16, 2008 17:43

Hairball I assume getting the 3 disc version is the way to go. Looking forward to hearing this!!

And I am afraid if the Stones wait any longer to start releasing stuff from the past that it will either never happen or there won't be any point. They can't make it anymore obvious about being concerned with money first, music not even second but last. For being a smart guy Mick doesn't seem to understand the right way to do this like Zeppelin, Neil, Dylan and so many others.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 17, 2008 01:22

It´s........brilliant.

Posted by: bass ()
Date: October 17, 2008 02:35

"Just when I thought that you were gone, you came back" (from Born In Time)

As the voice of Dylan singing that line was echoing through my mind for the past week, it became something I wanted to say to Dylan himself, and perhaps, in some subconscious indirection, he is singing about himself.

Believe the hype. If you a Dylan fan, TTS is essential, brilliant, mesmerizing. People will argue about what is in and what was left out, but the overall impact of listening to these tracks is so powerful, so satisfying, you just want more.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: October 17, 2008 04:46

I have the 2 Cd version and am very pleased. The MEZ thinks its brilliant. Great stuff consistantly throughout! MEZ

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2008 04:53

As much as I love Ain't Talkin' from Modern Times, I have to say this version here has got me thinkin' hard...
it's a thumpin' badass version...absolutely awesome...

"In the human heart an evil spirit can dwell,
I am trying to love my neighbor and do good unto others,
But oh, mother, things ain't going well..."

&

"Now I'm all worn down by weeping,
My eyes are filled with tears, my lips are dry
If I catch my opponents ever sleeping,
I'll just slaughter them where they lie..."

Once again Dylan has proved the pen is mightier than the sword.
And I'm just nipping at the tip of the iceberg of this new set...can't wait to fully claw my way into it.
It will keep my mind occupied for months and months. And don't worry about whatever was left off,
I'm sure it will eventually see the light of day in the next bootleg series...and the one after that...and so on and so on...smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home