Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: New Bob Dylan Interview and Bootleg Series 8 this year
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 30, 2008 10:27

>..only with the first 5000 orders

don't harsh my buzz!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 30, 2008 11:06

cbtaco19
I am not yet convinced that there will not be an opportunity to buy the three disc version for less than a $110 premium over the two disc version. The only place this is advertised yet is Bob's site. Let's wait and see what shows up on Amazon and or iTunes.

i hope you're right- the more i think about it, the price difference
between the 2cd and 3cd set, is so obscene, it's Cohl-esque.

Date: July 30, 2008 16:17

latest from Desolation Row:-

More on Bootleg Series 8

My announcement yesterday about the new album “Tell Tale Signs” was based largely on information from Bobdylan.com. ISIS issued their own bulletin, and we both seem to have concluded that the 3 CD set containing the 7” vinyl could only be obtained by ordering from bobdylan.com, but that you’d still be able to get the 3CD set without the vinyl from other sources. This has been questioned by some who have read the Bobdylan/com announcement differently. Looking back at the Bobdylan.com announcement, it could be concluded that the only source of the 3 CD set is through Bobdylan.com. However, information from Sony/Columbia says otherwise. The only way to get the 7” vinyl is through bd.com by buying what they are calling the “Bobdylan.com Exclusive Deluxe Edition” but you can get the set without the vinyl through normal sources (although, caution, it’s a limited edition). Bobdylan.com mentions three options (2, 4 and 5 below), but there are apparently 6 options, as follows:

1. Single CD version (13 songs) in a jewel case with a 16 page booklet. The US and Canada will hold off on releasing this format until some time in November but elsewhere it will be released simultaneously with the other formats on October 7th. I believe this will be disc 1 of the 2/3 CD set.
2. 2 CDs featuring 27 songs plus a 60 page booklet with “stunning” rare photos and in-depth notes by author Larry "Ratso" Sloman. Price through bd.com $18.99, but available elsewhere.
3. The limited de-luxe edition - As above plus third CD with additional 13 live songs, plus 150 page deluxe photo book of Bob Dylan "singles" from around the world. Available through usual outlets.
4.The Bobdylan.com Exclusive Deluxe Edition - As 3 above plus 7" vinyl single of "Dreaming of You" and "Ring Them Bells". Available only through bd.com at $129.99. Note that these two tracks are not unique to the vinyl; they are both to be found on the first two CDs.
5. Four 180 gram vinyl LPs featuring 27 songs ( from CDs 1 & 2) plus the 60-page booklet as above. Price through bd.com $99.99, but available elsewhere.
6. An iTunes release of the 2CD version with an exclusive bonus track (to be decided) not included on any o fthe other formats.

Items 4 and 5 will be heavy and, if bought through Bobdylan.com, postage charges to Europe will be steep; for option 2 it’s just under $40.00.

"Dreaming of You" is available as a free download from bd.com. if you have trouble like I did, go to www.yousendit.com That’s where I had success. There will be a second free download available early September but the exact date and which track are still to be decided.

“Ring Them Bells” on CD2, live at the Supper Club 1993, can be viewed in video format in the online version of Mondays USA today (see next section), You should be able to see it by clicking on the following url or by pasting it into your browser - [www.usatoday.com]
It’s a truly beautiful version IMO.

A concept video has been shot and is scheduled to premiere on September 8. The US are planning to give Amazon.com the premiere but it’s still to be decided for elsewhere. Further promotional videos are being planned.

The New Album According to Edna Gundersen

From USA Today –

The tunes, they are a-changin', and Bob Dylan fans will find the telltale signs on Tell Tale Signs, the long-rumored eighth installment of his Bootleg Series.

The two-CD, 27-song set, out Oct. 7, contains previously unreleased studio recordings, demos, alternate takes, live tracks and rarities spanning 1989 to 2006, a rich period that generated the lauded Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Oh Mercy. A third 12-track disc is part of a limited-edition deluxe set in a hardcover slipcase with a book with photos of all of Dylan's singles. The 27-song version also will be issued in a limited-edition four-LP set.

Listeners will discover a wealth of fresh material and multiple versions of songs with altered lyrics, moods and styles.

"When Most of the Time came out on Oh Mercy, I thought it was such an achingly beautiful love song," says Steve Berkowitz, senior vice president of A&R at Columbia/Legacy. "Now it's here as a folk version and something that sounds like Dylan with Brian Eno and The Edge. To hear the way the songs and lyrics develop is fascinating. Dylan comes across as a folk singer, a blues musician and a jazz artist."

Dignity appears as a truncated piano demo and in twangy rockabilly form. Series of Dreams undergoes a rewrite. Twin renditions of the bluesy Marchin' to the City serve as blueprints for 'Til I Fell in Love With You.

The newly unveiled Dreamin' of You, a free download at the just-overhauled bobdylan.com, bears lyrics that later fed other songs.

Also new to Dylan's canon are Red River Shore and Can't Escape From You, written for a film but never used. Miss the Mississippi was rescued from a long-shelved album with David Bromberg, and 32-20 Blues marks Dylan's only release of a Robert Johnson cover.

Among the rarities are the live The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore, eight-minute 'Cross the Green Mountain, The Lonesome River duet with Ralph Stanley and Ring Them Bells from Dylan's storied 1993 stint at the Supper Club in Manhattan. Those performances were filmed but never released.

"The songs and performances are of such strength and diversity, they will appeal to new fans and longtime fans," Berkowitz says, predicting the two-CD set will satisfy most appetites. "For some fans, there's never enough."

Date: July 31, 2008 14:58

6 buying options!
pleased i'm not a Bob completist eye popping smiley

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 31, 2008 15:15

Oh Mercy is such a good album, and with such a brilliant production, that I find it difficult to see the logic in putting out this collection when there is so much other stuff in the Dylan vaults.

Some more stuff from the 1984 tour perhaps.

Date: August 1, 2008 12:29

Bootleg Series #8 'will lead to more piracy'

[www.medialoper.com]

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: August 1, 2008 12:56

Adrian-L
Bootleg Series #8 'will lead to more piracy'

[www.medialoper.com]

Yes, I think this article really (!) hits the nail on the head! These are exactly my thoughts about the huge difference of more than 100$ between the 2 and 3 disc releases. Nothing else to add to what the article says!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 4, 2008 20:01

Adrian-L
cbtaco19
I am not yet convinced that there will not be an opportunity to buy the three disc version for less than a $110 premium over the two disc version. The only place this is advertised yet is Bob's site. Let's wait and see what shows up on Amazon and or iTunes.

i hope you're right- the more i think about it, the price difference
between the 2cd and 3cd set, is so obscene, it's Cohl-esque.

Just noticed that Tell Tale Signs is on Amazon for pre-order:

1) The good news is not all the configurations are up yet

2) The bad news is the only configuration they have at this time is the "Deluxe Edition" priced at $152.99.

If they are really taking a page from the Rolling Stones marketing playbook, they will sell the three disc edition for this astronomical amount upon release and then come out with a more realitically priced version (sans the superflous picture books) at Christmas.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: August 4, 2008 23:52

If anyone can find the 3-cd version at a different place than Bob Dylan.com, please post it!

Date: September 12, 2008 20:33

here's the video for 'Dreamin' Of You'

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 12, 2008 21:52

It looks like the only way to get the third disc will be to shell out 150+ bucks. Since this is the case with the CD's, I bet anything that you will not be able to buy the 3rd disc MP3's at iTunes or Amazon without buying the whole package.

My further prediction: Sometime next year, the three disc edition will be available for a reasonable price sans the stupid booklet. Timed to milk the big bucks out of the die hards who have to buy right away but still make a little extra off the more casual fan.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 12, 2008 21:55

cbtaco19
It looks like the only way to get the third disc will be to shell out 150+ bucks. Since this is the case with the CD's, I bet anything that you will not be able to buy the 3rd disc MP3's at iTunes or Amazon without buying the whole package.

My further prediction: Sometime next year, the three disc edition will be available for a reasonable price sans the stupid booklet. Timed to milk the big bucks out of the die hards who have to buy right away but still make a little extra off the more casual fan.

who'd a-thunk bobby would be taking a page out of the stones playbook at this late stage, eh?

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: September 13, 2008 00:45

That makes me notice Bob have not released a "new" live album since MTV Unplugged in 1995. And the last live album released on tour was Dylan and the Dead in 1989 !!
I hope he'll released a new live about what he is doing these times someday !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 13, 2008 01:41

olorin
That makes me notice Bob have not released a "new" live album since MTV Unplugged in 1995. And the last live album released on tour was Dylan and the Dead in 1989 !!

Dylan & the Dead comes from 1987. I guess Bob has no intention of releasing any "new" concerts - even the bonus tracks on CD singles and the live recordings once available on bobdylan.com mostly came from audience recordings. I think Bob is aware of his fanbase that supplies excellent aud recordings which they share for free. Also....he's been touring almost non-stop since 1998, so people can go to his concerts instead of buying albums that features Bob live anno this decade.
I really really hope for "Bootleg series vol 9" to contain a 1978 show from either Europe or US, btw.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 13, 2008 02:04

The first Bootleg series was what transformed me from a casual fan to a fanatic. Seems to be a lot of outakes listed from Time out Mind and Modern Times on this upcoming one, which bodes well as they were both brilliant

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 13, 2008 09:15

Promoting the crap out of a compilation album is standard record label business, but somehow, this collection of outtakes, rarities and live cuts seems like it had minimal artist involvement only.
I was kind of underwhelmed with "Modern Times", so I'll probably skip this.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 13, 2008 18:18

billwebster
I was kind of underwhelmed with "Modern Times", so I'll probably skip this.

I don't see the logic? One was a new album (which I agree with you about), one is a collection of outtakes from different sessions.

I don't think Dylan as the artist has had much involvement with the whole series, aside from general approval and who knows, maybe some suggestions for areas to choose from. I agree that this volume could be seen as dealing in scraps, but on the other hand, it's an outtakes collection focused on a specific period only, and in that sense it appears to be an interesting collection. The pricing scheme is another matter...

Date: September 13, 2008 19:39

pricing of this product is misfortunate to say the least,
illegal downloading, alas, is going to be the only way many fans, will
hear the 3rd disc.

Date: September 14, 2008 02:31

We all know the debates about Stones vs Beatles in the 60's and Stones vs Zep in 70's, but I am so happy I fell in the Stones camp because the Albums tours and projects of the Stones since 1980 are so superior and plentiful compared to the remaining members of both bands. Only Dylan fans can say their hero has aged better.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 15, 2008 15:11

Dark Horse 77
If anyone can find the 3-cd version at a different place than Bob Dylan.com, please post it!

I caved in and bought it from Badlands in the UK for £85.

Date: September 15, 2008 18:31

doubledoor
We all know the debates about Stones vs Beatles in the 60's and Stones vs Zep in 70's, but I am so happy I fell in the Stones camp because the Albums tours and projects of the Stones since 1980 are so superior and plentiful compared to the remaining members of both bands. Only Dylan fans can say their hero has aged better.

I never got this "band X vs band Y" anyway. I think most of it was made up by the music companies in order to push sales. I call myself fan of all the bands you mentioned and I don't see any contradiction or problem in liking and appreciating all of them.

But back to topic: I guess I won't go for the expensive edition. It's still 100€ on amazon, meaning I would have to pay 80€ for the third disc. However, I'm becoming really excited now. Only 2 weeks to go! :-)

Date: September 15, 2008 23:57

Thanks for all the Dylan info Mac, I myself am excited as well. I also completely agree with you that there is no contradiction or problem in liking and appreciating them all. I know I do. But people do love to compare and contrast. Since there is never a definitive answer or truth to be discerned from it, it is silly and ultimately meaningless. But a lot of people engage in it. Artists themselves are surprisingly competitive. I think music companies exploit this angle a bit, but human nature started it. Being a huge Stones fan, I often have friends throw the Beatles and Zep comparisons at me, and if it is a drunk guy, you will not have much luck explaining the higher ground of "rising above it". So I have no problem engaging in the debate for fun. It is more interesting to me than comparing athletes, which people also love to do. I guess all I meant to say in the vein of comparisons, is that Bob Dylan's level of creativity in releasing studio albums is astounding.

Date: September 16, 2008 16:12

doubledoor
So I have no problem engaging in the debate for fun. It is more interesting to me than comparing athletes, which people also love to do.

Hehe, you're right there. What fun would life be without discussing and arguing about which band has this or that aspect which another band hasn't. Or without compiling the famous top 5 lists again and again... Talking stuff for weeks on lonely islands!

German Rolling Stone gives me another reason to spend the money I saved by buying the standard edition otherwise:

Der Rockpoet: Bald gibt es einen Gedichtband von Bob Dylan

Nicht umsonst ist "Rockpoet" einer von Bob Dylans vielen Beinamen. In einer US-Zeitschrift konnten Leser bereits zwei seiner Gedichte nachlesen, nun erscheinen sie als Teil eines großen Gedichtbandes inklusive Fotografien des Künstlers.
"Hollywood-Foto-Rhetoric: The Lost Manuscript" wird klassische Hollywood-Bilder von Dylan enthalten, die Barry Feinstein 1966 von dem Sänger aufnahm. Nun, über 40 Jahre später, kommen die Fotografien endlich in einer Mischung aus Gedicht- und Bildband heraus. Für Bob Dylan ist es nicht das erste Mal, dass er Teil oder Verfasser eines literarischen Werkes ist: Bereits 1966 veröffentlichte er "Tarantula" und 2004 schrieb er seine eigene Autobiographie "Chronicles Vol. 1".

The essential: The article says that recently two poems by Bob have been released in a US magazine (they don't tell us in which one). These two poems among many others will be part of a big volume of poetry which is to be released "soon". Apart from the poems it will also include previously unreleased pictures made by Barry Feinstein in 1966.

Should be quite reliable information and it definitely is more interesting than this book full of pictures of the singles covers.

Date: September 16, 2008 17:20

Braincapers
Dark Horse 77

I caved in and bought it from Badlands in the UK for £85.

£5 postage is a better deal, than Dylandotcom, thats for sure.

Date: September 16, 2008 17:41

UNCUT review....dang...sounds like the 3cd version is the way to go. can we pass the hat here and come up with an iorr copy to burn from?

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2008 19:43

Good news in that review- I can be broke comfortably while waiting for the 4LPbox and the 3CDbox to arrive ! Ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 19:52 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 16, 2008 21:29

i knew you'd cave in eventually!>grinning smiley<

Date: September 17, 2008 10:40

according to a contributor to the allalongthewatchtower forum,
these albums are getting the remastering treatment, and are coming out,
in early 2009.

New Morning
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
The Basement Tapes
Before The Flood
Shot Of Love
Empire Burlesque
Dylan & The Dead
Bootleg Series 1-3
Good As I Been To You
World Gone Wrong

[www.allalongthewatchtower.dk]

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: September 17, 2008 17:14

Still no remaster of Self Portrait? I know it's not so great, but do I have to kill someone to get a remaster? I think most of us would have gladly taken a remastered Hard Rain/Real Live/Budokan over Dylan & the Dead too. Otherwise, can't wait to get these.

Date: September 17, 2008 17:26

Adrian-L
according to a contributor to the allalongthewatchtower forum,
these albums are getting the remastering treatment, and are coming out,
in early 2009.

New Morning
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
The Basement Tapes
Before The Flood
Shot Of Love
Empire Burlesque
Dylan & The Dead
Bootleg Series 1-3
Good As I Been To You
World Gone Wrong

[www.allalongthewatchtower.dk]

very welcome news...not sure why self-portrait and saved are not included....the job they did with sacd remasters was "masterful."

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home