Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: New Bob Dylan Interview and Bootleg Series 8 this year
Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: June 6, 2008 14:47

There is a new interview with Bob from May published in The Times (Online) today:

Interview

Bob talks about his Drawn Blank Series exhibition, the second part of his Chronicles and, most interestingly, about a further Bootleg Series. It will feature "previously unreleased or rare material alongside alternative versions of existing tracks recorded between 1989 and 2006" and is to be released later this year.

I'm really looking forward to it!!

Re: OT: New Bob Dylan Interview and Bootleg Series 8 this year
Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 6, 2008 18:07

thanks for that.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 20:22

Thanks for the link. I have been waiting for a sequel to Bootleg Series 1-3 for many years. There is so much great stuff out there that never made it to CD or at least was never collected on a Bob release.

What would you like to see? Here is my partial wishlist:

1) Band Of The Hand single from the soundtrack
2) The Usual from Hearts of Fire
3) Cover Down Breakthrough
4) Thief on the Cross
5) The rockin' live versions of the JWH tracks from the Larry Campbell / Charlie Sexton era band: Drifters Escape, Down Along The Cove, Wicked Messenger
6) Outtakes from Masked and Anonymous- especially the full version of Drifters Escape
7) Trouble In Mind
8) Some of the great stuff from the Dylan and The Dead tour rehearsals. Maybe Gonna Change My Way of Thinking
9) The live version of Meet Me In The Morning with Jack White (won't hold my breath for this one).
10) Electric Blind Willie McTell with Mick Taylor
11) His live covers of Friend of the Devil, Old Man, Brown Sugar!

And on and on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 20:23 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 21:42

Looks like most of the stuff you listed won't be on this, it's going to be studio sessions from 1989-2006. This will almost work as era rehab for any spotty years Bob in the early 90s, much like the third disc of BS 1-3 worked for his 80s output. Let's hope Girl From The Red River Shore from 1997 is on there, at least. Personally, besides all the great album outtakes we're bound to get, I really want to hear a lot more of the songs he cut for Masked & Anonymous.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2008 21:55

Dark Horse 77
Looks like most of the stuff you listed won't be on this, it's going to be studio sessions from 1989-2006.

well..it mentions "previously unreleased or rare material ALONGSIDE" the 1989-2006 stuff.

Its a bit unclear from the way that announcement is worded as to whether its ALL from that period or not. Depends how you read it, I suppose.

In addition to Girl from the Red River Shore, I would imagine the "Time out of Mind" version of "Mississippi" which he gave to Shery; Crow before rerecording it for L&T four years later would be a candidate for release.

There's also an unreleased acoustic album cut in Chicago 1992 and produced by david Bromberg - none of which has ever been bootlegged :

Acme Recording
Chicago, Illinois
Early/Mid June 1992

Produced by David Bromberg.

1. I'll Rise Again (trad.)

2. Nobody's Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson)

3. Lady From Baltimore (trad.)

4. Polly Vaughan (trad.)

5. Casey Jones (trad.)

6. Duncan And Brady (trad.)

7. Catskills Serenade (David Bromberg)

8. World Of Fools (David Bromberg)

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:03

sounds really good

Date: June 6, 2008 22:23

I must have misread the part about other stuff than 1989-2006 studio. Was that 1992 unreleased acoustic album recorded before or after Good As I Been To You? I read somewhere else he did a take of 32-20 Blues for that as well.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:25

some of that bromberg session has surfaced

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:43

actually I should have added "wtf?!" for his celebrity portrait series idea. Hope that was a joke.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 8, 2008 02:17

A multidisc set of Never Ending Tour highlights would be great. Covers, radical rearrangements, etc.: BRING IT ON!!!

Date: June 8, 2008 02:29

Dark Horse 77
I must have misread the part about other stuff than 1989-2006 studio. Was that 1992 unreleased acoustic album recorded before or after Good As I Been To You? I read somewhere else he did a take of 32-20 Blues for that as well.

Just before it. GAIBTY was recorded a few weeks later.

Date: June 8, 2008 02:30

cc
actually I should have added "wtf?!" for his celebrity portrait series idea. Hope that was a joke.

well if its good enough for Woody.....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 8, 2008 10:32

Ah, that's great news about Bootleg series 8. I've got five or six of the Bromberg tracks and they're great.

Date: June 8, 2008 15:04

I wonder if Bob didn't release the Bromberg sessions because it was too good, or "wasn't recorded right."

Date: June 8, 2008 21:31

This is supposed to be a double CD, so I guess it won't include the rumoured 30 minute version of Highlands with the Elvis lyric in it.

I'm guessing we'll get:

Born in Time (the superior Oh Mercy Version)
The Bromberg Sessions
You Belong To Me (the full version of the Good As I Been To You outtake featured in Natural Born Killers)
Mississippi - TOOM version
Girl From the Red River Shore - TOOM outtake
Tell Ole Bill (the Waltz version)
The three or four Modern Times outtakes

This is great though, an archive release NOT focusing on the 60s.

Date: June 8, 2008 21:37

I'm not so sure there are enough post 1989 leftovers to justify two cds.

Then again, it mentions alternative versions as well as outtakes.

Never heard of the 30 minute Highlands.

Also wasnt aware of the Brombegr session being in circulation. Is there a torrent anywhere? Must have slipped my radar somehow!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2008 21:55

Gazza
Also wasnt aware of the Brombegr session being in circulation. Is there a torrent anywhere? Must have slipped my radar somehow!

Only as MP3s, that's why there's no torrent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-08 21:57 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 8, 2008 22:16

Cheers. Is it available even on an mp3 site?

Date: June 8, 2008 22:30

Cheers Gazza, I hope this link is still working - it contains what's available from the Bromberg session
EDIT: link dead....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-08 22:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 8, 2008 23:40

Gazza, I mixed up the Tell Ol Bill sessions with the Bromsberg sessions - it's Tell Ol Bill that comes as MP3s only
I have these tracks from Bromsberg 1992: Polly Vaughn, Catskill Serenade, Miss The Mississippi, Sloppy Drunk. THey're included in "Genuine Bootleg Series Volume 4 - Fourth Time Around"....that's where I got them. They did circulate before that bootleg came along though
Heard rumours about 4 more tracks, but I don't have them...or know if there's any truth in it.

Date: June 9, 2008 03:03

Oh..I have that one....maybe I should have checked the track listing. So many boots, so little time. Thanks.

Tell Ol' Bill was circulated as a torrent around the time the song was officially released. I dont recall reading it was mp3 sourced.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 9, 2008 03:19

I myself will snatch this up. With the informative booklets and awesome quality recordings I haven't been disappointed with any of the previous boot series releases.

Date: June 9, 2008 03:25

Yep, and the thing is that right from the off it really did so much to resurrect his career even at a time when he had writers block,wasnt recording new material and his live performances were probably at their lowest ebb.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: June 9, 2008 03:55

Calling out to Gazza, Do you have Dylan and the Dead i think 86 in Anaheim? I will trade anything you don't have for this which i'm sure you have everything but i'm sure we could work something out. I greatly appreciate it if you do i was there and can't find a copy,it was Tremendous!

Date: June 9, 2008 04:02

I do - yes, July 1987 it was. They did six shows together.

drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy. No need to trade.

On second thoughts, having just read your Springsteen posts, I'll be charging you $500 for it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-09 04:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: June 9, 2008 04:10

Gazza
I do - yes, July 1987 it was. They did six shows together.

drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy. No need to trade.

On second thoughts, having just read your Springsteen posts, I'll be charging you $500 for it....
You dirty dog!lol.. I'm bummed i never got to buy you that beer this tour!!!!! Let's hope for another one? So we can Rock n Roll!

Date: June 9, 2008 04:23

I'm bummed we never got that punch up!

(dives for cover..)

Date: June 9, 2008 09:29

Gazza
I'm not so sure there are enough post 1989 leftovers to justify two cds.

Then again, it mentions alternative versions as well as outtakes.

Never heard of the 30 minute Highlands.

The 30 minute Highlands may be a fan myth, but I think Lanois mentioned that the song was much much longer than the version on TOOM.

As for the post 1989 sessions - he recorded a lot of songs for both Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong, there are rumoured to be a few leftovers from Under A Red Sky (which, I bet are - typically - better than anything on the album - see Series of Dreams), three or four from TOOM (not counting the 15 different versions/takes of Mississippi), a couple from L & T, and three or four from MT. I think that's two CDs right there.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:47

Can somebody be so kind as to explain me what are the highlights of the Dylan & the Dead material not yet released?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:52

Whale
Can somebody be so kind as to explain me what are the highlights of the Dylan & the Dead material not yet released?

the shows themselves didn't represent Bob or the Dead very well, imo. the rehearsals from earlier in the year at San Rafael studios yielded many worthy workouts, including a spry version of Bob leading the band thru Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy." Several hours of rehearsals have made the rounds....

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home