Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which shows did Mike Millard tape?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 28, 2008 19:06

Does anyone have a complete list of Stones Shows that the late great Mike Millard taped? I know he recorded the following shows, but I'd like to know if he recorded any others.

LA Forum, June 9th, 11th 12th (1st half only) and 13th, 1975
not sure if the 10th june was taped or any others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-28 19:38 by vudicus.

Re: Which shows did Mike Millard tape?
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 28, 2008 19:27

That's all I know of...

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 28, 2008 21:31

Is it possible Mike Millard also used the nickname 'Mal Moore?' I traded rare RS tapes straight up for Trademark of Quality LP's by mail with him in the early '70's and also spoke with him once by phone. But I never thought to ask if he was the famed taper.

Anybody know?

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 28, 2008 21:34

Wait a minute, according to Wikipedia Mike Millard only started taping in the 1970's, and was reportedly against bootlegging. I started trading with Mal Moore for 'LivR Than You'll Ever Be' and other '69 recordings.

So I guess my question is answered - Mike Millard wasn't Mal Moore.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 28, 2008 22:02

Whoa, hold on....is Millard the guy who taped all the 1969 West Coast shows including LIVEr and SAN DIEGO? I used to know a girl, Andrea I think was her name, that owned a record store in Anaheim, California called BEGGAR'S BANQUET and she used to be the Girl Friend of the guy who taped all those shows. Later on she married this guy Matt from the East Coast and then CBS (actually SPRINGSTEEN and CHEAP TRICK) sued them and their store for selling Boots - ROLLING STONE had a big article on the law suit and what went down in court, they got reamed, that's all I know. DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYBODY ??? Fill me in if it does....

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 28, 2008 22:31

ode to Mike Millard. Sometimes one personbrings you hapiness. One of the best moments was to listen to LP's of La forum 75.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 29, 2008 00:23

and don't forget all the great Led zep recordings from 75 and 77 we have thanks to Mike

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 29, 2008 00:45

According to SF mag vol 1 1999 the there were 6 west coast shows taped in 69. 2 in LA,2 in Oak,San Diego and Phoenix by Dub and Ken OF TMOQ. Using a Sennheiser 805 shotgun mic and a Uher 4000 reel to reel-71/2ips 5" reels. Mic was pointed at the drums and let the pa fill out around it. Dub said the mic was anodized black as not to reflect light and not be seen in the dark. (DUcool smiley "at the time there was no problem getting into concerts to tape cause it had never been a problem before-so you can thank us for the problems you have going into concerts with a tape recorder now....!"

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:30

what did he record onto: cassette or reel to reel and what was the equipment -- brand, model number, etc.

killed himself in 1990 - anyone know any more about that?

p

Date: May 29, 2008 02:11

that info(all that was given in the article) is in previous post.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 29, 2008 02:16

Mike Millard, nicknamed "Mike The Mike" was an avid concert taper in the 1970s and 1980s, recording mostly Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones concerts in California, especially at the Los Angeles Forum. He taped virtually every show at the Forum from 1974 to 1980. Many of his recordings found their way into the hands of bootleggers who sold Millard's work to fans.

Starting with a basic mono recorder in 1974, Millard upgraded to a Nakamichi stereo recorder with AKG Acoustics microphones for the 1975 Led Zeppelin shows in the area. He often used a wheelchair to conceal his equipment, pretending to be disabled. Unlike most 1970s audience bootlegs, Millard's recordings are noted for their great sound quality, and are to this day considered some of the finest audio bootlegs available.

Millard's recording of the Led Zeppelin concert on June 21, 1977 at the Forum (allegedly taped from row number six) was released under the title Listen To This Eddie, and remains one of the best-known Led Zeppelin bootlegs. His recording of the opening number from the concert, "The Song Remains The Same", was included in the promos menu of the Led Zeppelin DVD.

Millard was never behind the sale of bootlegs and was openly against the illegal sale of his recordings - like many audience tapers today.

Millard allegedly suffered from severe depression, and committed suicide in 1990.

Date: May 29, 2008 02:30

timbernardis
what did he record onto: cassette or reel to reel and what was the equipment -- brand, model number, etc.

killed himself in 1990 - anyone know any more about that?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the 69 shows. My bad.
great info,bingo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-29 02:31 by scottkeef.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 29, 2008 02:34

From: Bootleg! The Rise & Fall of the Secret Recording Industry

The bootlegger is dubbed... Dub.

Clinton Heylin, 2003

Date: May 29, 2008 14:57

Does anyone know if Mike taped the LA Forum show on the 10th June?
Cheers.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 29, 2008 18:19

Slightly OT, anybody know the circumstances of LA '72 #1? It's a very good audience recording, clear and complete.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 7, 2008 19:00

vudicus
Does anyone have a complete list of Stones Shows that the late great Mike Millard taped? I know he recorded the following shows, but I'd like to know if he recorded any others.

I was under the impression that Millard taped at least one, if not both, of the San Francisco '75 shows at the Cow Palace. Have a listen to the 7/16/75 show. I seem to recall the sound quality being quite similar to some of the '75 Los Angelos recordings.

He also taped an Eric Clapton show on 8/14/75 in Los Angelos. It's a fantastic recording on a par, if not better, than his Stones recordings from a month or so earlier. Lots of people mistake this for a soundboard.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 7, 2008 19:48

vudicus

July 1975, not June 1975. As far as I'm aware he taped all 5 of the Stones Forum shows that year.

I dont believe that he was responsible for any of the 1969 or 1972 Stones LA area shows.

Date: June 9, 2008 00:52

I was just testing you Gazza!

Actually, I was just being lazy and decided to use my memory rather than actually look it up. When am I going to learn that thinking is never a good idea.

What's the show from the 10th like?
It's the only From show from that stint that I do not have.

Cheers!

Date: June 9, 2008 01:25

I think its OK from memory. I'm also too lazy to look it up!

As far as I know - and others who are more into the minutae of all this than me will probably confirm - theres some doubt about some of these shows, with some circulating recordings purported to come from a certain show possibly being a compilation of two shows, etc.

Millard was also known to indulge in a bit of minor sabotage on his recordings (ie putting a tiny gap or blemish in it somewhere), so that when they were bootlegged, he would be able to detect that it was his tape and trace it back to find who was responsible for selling his recordings.

As Bingo says above, he would pretend to be disabled, so he could smuggle in his superior recording equipment and get an acoustically advantageous position in the arena. Smart move.

Sad about what happened to him. He brought a lot of pleasure to many people.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 9, 2008 09:00

The recordings of July 10th......it's 9 tracks only in circulation; slightly less quality than the July 13th show - but still EX....but I don't think it's a Millard recording...or is it? The whole concert must have existed; or maybe still exists - as the 9 tracks comes from all over the concert; not just the very start of the show. The 'complete July 10th'....that's a Fair-G aud recording

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-09 09:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 9, 2008 22:33

I always thought the incomplete show was from the 12th, god this is getting confusing! lol

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: June 9, 2008 22:58

Erik_Snow
The recordings of July 10th......it's 9 tracks only in circulation; slightly less quality than the July 13th show - but still EX....but I don't think it's a Millard recording...or is it? The whole concert must have existed; or maybe still exists - as the 9 tracks comes from all over the concert; not just the very start of the show. The 'complete July 10th'....that's a Fair-G aud recording

I don´t think that´s a Millard recording. My guess is that these July 10 tracks were recorded by the same people who taped the incomplete July 13 source.

You´re right, it´s a shame that this great sounding source is incomplete. I´d love to hear the whole thing...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 9, 2008 23:31

Tornandfrayed
I don´t think that´s a Millard recording. My guess is that these July 10 tracks were recorded by the same people who taped the incomplete July 13 source.

You´re right, it´s a shame that this great sounding source is incomplete. I´d love to hear the whole thing...

Thanks for confirming, I didn't think Millard was responsible for that recording.
When it comes to the "incomplete July 13th"....I prefer it to Millards complete one. That recording (combination of July 10th/13th) is the reason why people often mention that the 2CD "LA Friday" is "not as good as the vinyl they grew up with". Because they are 2 different recordings.
Same can be said for NYC 1975...thanks for that one btw!

I wonder if stuff like these complete July 10th/13th tapes and the complete Essen/Hamburg 1973 tapes are still being hold on to by a couple of people, or if the bootlegers just threw them away after releasing their product back then? Impossible question to answer....

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 10, 2008 03:47

What is the evidence that Millard was the one who taped the two SF Cow Palace shows?

Or if not, is it known who did?

P

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 10, 2008 06:30

Gazza

Millard was also known to indulge in a bit of minor sabotage on his recordings (ie putting a tiny gap or blemish in it somewhere), so that when they were bootlegged, he would be able to detect that it was his tape and trace it back to find who was responsible for selling his recordings.

Seems like an oxymoron but isn't the object of recording shows illegally, actually bootlegging when you pass it on to someone else? Back then how else would someone on the east coast get a copy of a tape from the west coast if it was not mass produced? Someone had to do the legwork for all to enjoy.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: March 29, 2009 13:08

The Millard Tapes of the Stones 1975 L.A. shows are a must for any Stones fan. A must. Millard brought many of us priceless moments with his recordings...'Liver' and the '75 L.A. Stones boots are at or near the top of my list...

Date: March 29, 2009 16:42

Millard didnt tape "LIVER".

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 29, 2009 19:36

timbernardis
What is the evidence that Millard was the one who taped the two SF Cow Palace shows?

Or if not, is it known who did?

P

I don't think he did. I heard once that he taped the 7/16/75 Cow Palace show but I'm pretty sure it's not true. I later learned who the taper of that one was, and although I can't remember his name, I know it wasn't Millard. You should look on the Trader's Den. There's a couple of versions of that show torrented over there and threads that discuss the taping of the show.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:13

"I used to know a girl, Andrea"
Was it the girl known as "Vicky Vinyl"?

Date: March 29, 2009 20:18

The Sicilian

Seems like an oxymoron but isn't the object of recording shows illegally, actually bootlegging when you pass it on to someone else? .

No....bootlegging is done for profit. Tape-trading isn't.

The Sicilian
Back then how else would someone on the east coast get a copy of a tape from the west coast if it was not mass produced? Someone had to do the legwork for all to enjoy.

Same way as most of us built up a collection in the pre-CDR era. By trading tapes sent through the mail. Most hardcore fans had a collection which didnt primarily consist of mass-produced vinyl. The majority of shows that circulated did so exclusively on tape. What was available on vinyl was only a fraction of what was available. Likewise, its probably true that most recent shows in circulation have circulated in torrent or CDR form through free trades or file sharing. Its only later that they tend to be mass produced - only then do they become 'bootlegs'.

When I started trading tapes around 1984, most people I traded with werent really interested in getting a tape copy of a bootleg LP - they wanted it from original tape source, and in as low a generation as possible.

I think I have about 95% plus of the available Stones shows in my collection. The amount I've actually bought on factory-produced LPs or CD's would barely reach double figures. They're the only ones that I'd classify as bootlegs. The remainder I've traded or torrented.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home