Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Worst Stones Artwork
Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 28, 2008 22:04

Although I like the general style of ABB: the typography, layout, colours etcetera, I have to say I'm (truly) embarrassed by its cover design. That is the picture with the shining light. I 'hide' the jewelcase when I play the album with others present. No joke.

I do like the design of Bridges to Babylon, I'm surprised most others do not. Top designs for me are Now, Beggars, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls, although I also like the humorous images inside Voodoo Lounge. IN fact, I also like the stylish Flashpoint...

Jelle

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 28, 2008 22:42

Let's face it...our band has bad taste in album covers...

While were at it...how about the best?

Some Girls
Exile
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed

Hmm...Good things come in good packages...holds up in this case...

PECMAN

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: May 28, 2008 23:15

Flashpoint is in its simple design a masterpiece.Dirty Work is perfect for the eighties and the inside sleeve is just great. BB is probably the worst but the music is wonderful. I never liked ER.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: May 28, 2008 23:30

Rip This
Annie Leibowitz' cover for Dirty Work with the band in Versace Miami Vice suits are as dated as the record.........
this is the best thing in this artwork !
ABB is a piece of shit as whole record.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 28, 2008 23:59

no security
ABB
BTB

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:29

CindyC
Four Stone Walls
Creepy Cartoons?! Oh, no, not creepy cartoons. Charlie's work isn't it?

I can't remember if it's Charlie or not. i think it is. But i can't just automatically like everything they do, that would make my opinion (or anyone's) worthless.

It certainly would. For what it's worth, here's my extremely worthwhile opinion:

Bigger Bang album, contents and design is mainly crap.

Dirty Work is packed full of punch and fresh ideas. It's one of their best ever. Including the artwork.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:46

At least when you looked at the Dirty Work cover when it was in LP form back when that was still a popular format, people saw it on the shelfs and knew it was the Stones. Perfect for displays.

Date: May 29, 2008 01:51

Like 'Never Mind The Bollocks' - Hard to ignore!

ABB album, even were it in LP format - easy to ignore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-29 11:30 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:53

Worst ever bootleg artwork must be the single titled "C'MON KEITH, @#$%& ME".

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:53

Steel Wheels
Flaspoint
Stripped
No Security

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 29, 2008 03:32

Shine A Light

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2008 04:36

What is BB? Bridges To Babylon? Black And Blue?

A Bigger Bang? That's ABB.

Date: May 29, 2008 04:57

Emotional Rescue is one of the best album covers.Steel Wheels and Flashpoint are great as well.I don't see anything wrong with them.

The worst front covers are :

1) Flowers

2) No Security

3) Hot Rocks

4) Bridges

5) Dirty Work

6) Sticky Fingers

7) Jump Back

8) Stripped

These are the albums/cd's that I usually turn face down.

Many of the mid - '60's covers are too similar.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 29, 2008 06:40

1. ABB (a heavy metal photo for a bunch of grandpha's? - RIDICULOUS. They look like shit, Mick especially)

2. No Security (what a couple!! welcome to the freak's show)

3. Live Licks (awful, terrible for the Stones legacy)

Bubbling Under:
Steel Wheels (?)
Bridges To Babylon (?????)

Honorable mention:
Rarities (disgraceful in all the aspects)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 29, 2008 08:57

Shine A Light is great!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 29, 2008 13:50

georgelicks
1. 2. No Security (what a couple!! welcome to the freak's show)

LOL, I've always thought that too. Isn't the guy supposed to be a doctor though? Bloody hell.

Date: May 29, 2008 16:08

georgelicks
1. ABB (a heavy metal photo for a bunch of grandpha's? - RIDICULOUS. They look like shit, Mick especially)

2. No Security (what a couple!! welcome to the freak's show)

3. Live Licks (awful, terrible for the Stones legacy)

Bubbling Under:
Steel Wheels (?)
Bridges To Babylon (?????)

Honorable mention:
Rarities (disgraceful in all the aspects)

I just don't get this.How is the cover of rarities "disgraceful"? Is it because they removed someone from the photo who is no longer in the band? I didn't know that ABB was a "heavy metal" album cover and the Live Licks cover is a very accurate representation of the Stones' legacy.

People are stuck in the good old days even when it comes to something as minor as album covers.It's no wonder why the Stones don't play more new material in their concerts.I find it very weird that guys prefer a photo of another guy's crotch and ridiculous flowers with the band's faces over the steel wheels based purely on the artwork.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 29, 2008 16:12

no one mentions "still life". I remember it was critizised a lot when out

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 29, 2008 17:20

...Dirty work by a landslide....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-29 17:23 by Rip This.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2008 18:32

Wasn't the idea of No Security was to show the fans side? I still don't get the title. Is it an inflection of there not being any warhorses on it? As far as their live albums go, Ya-Ya's and Love You Live are the best titled ones. Still Life makes no sense to me whatsoever. Licks makes sense.

Maybe Flashpoint was about how they came back on the scene and made a ton of money and here's a live trinket you can purchase to give us that much more.

Date: May 29, 2008 18:47

I forgot about Ya-Ya's.It's one of the best live albums ever with an awful front cover.A mule has no place on a Rolling Stones album cover.Nobody will call out this album cover because of nostalgia and the association with the material on the album.

Date: May 29, 2008 18:56

skipstone,

are you talking about the artwork on those albums or the meanings of the titles?

'Still Life" is a double-entendre. Nice the way that album's artwork mirrored that of the tour.

Flashpoint had a historical context, as the Gulf war was breaking out between the 89 and 1990 legs. nb gas mask logo thing too. Similar artwork on Highwire.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 29, 2008 19:10

skipstone
Wasn't the idea of No Security was to show the fans side? I still don't get the title. Is it an inflection of there not being any warhorses on it?

Not too difficult I think: "No security" bears a double meaning: One side is playing without a safety net (this might consider the setlist) the other side is being close to the fans (as if there was be no "security" around, full backstage access). The only problem of this title is not being quite true. But at least the B-stage section came close.

Posted by: freddyscholtz ()
Date: May 29, 2008 20:35

skipstone
The Voodoo bunny is stoopid. But the tongue is cool!

Goats Head Soup
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work - the absolute worst of all
Steel Wheels
Flashpoint
Jump Back
Voodoo

I like Bridges and Bang.

The Voodoo guy is "a ZOMBIE, THE DEVIL´S ASSISTANT" , Mick Jagger said in an interview on mtv.....not a bunny...

Date: May 29, 2008 22:54

So Jagger is a Zombie, (not a bunny).

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: May 30, 2008 17:10

skipstone
Wasn't the idea of No Security was to show the fans side? I still don't get the title. Is it an inflection of there not being any warhorses on it?

"There´s no security in life. It´s not safe."
-Keith

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 30, 2008 17:46

Theif in the Night
I forgot about Ya-Ya's.It's one of the best live albums ever with an awful front cover.A mule has no place on a Rolling Stones album cover.Nobody will call out this album cover because of nostalgia and the association with the material on the album.

Coming to speak of Ya Ya's cover. As is seen in the Gimme Shelter movie, Mick and Charlie were shooting pictures for the cover somewhere along a highway, out in the cold. Mick having a blanket around him to keep him warm and Charlie dressed well too. But the picture they got to use seems to be taken in some studio? Does anybody know the story behind it?

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 30, 2008 20:44

Matti
skipstone

"There´s no security in life. It´s not safe."
-Keith

I always read it as an Altamont reference.

Anyway, awful cover.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home