Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: Capitol Theatre Aberdeen 1982
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2008 19:58

cc
hm, all right. There's a nice room reverb anyhow, and there's a nice balance between crowd and stage volumes (at least while mick is just talking!).

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so pedantic, just pointing it out incase people envisage the capitol as being a small club or something. smileys with beer

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 6, 2008 20:10

yeah, thumbs up for the historical record! (especially as your massive find started from telling a few historical anecdotes!)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2008 20:19

Mathijs
Sounds great Majesty, check your email. Btw, it sounds like the tape is running a bit slow, we might have to correct that.

Mathijs

He's sending me a copy to torrent. However, I dont have the facility to make speed corrections. Maybe you could take care of that?

Date: June 6, 2008 21:21

Gazza
Mathijs
Sounds great Majesty, check your email. Btw, it sounds like the tape is running a bit slow, we might have to correct that.

Mathijs

He's sending me a copy to torrent. However, I dont have the facility to make speed corrections. Maybe you could take care of that?

I just checked it against my guitar tuned to concert pitch. The pitch of honky tonk etc is about a quarter tone lower than concert pitch.

Date: June 6, 2008 23:43

Can you explain that in simple terms for the tone deaf and technically illiterate amongst us?

Date: June 7, 2008 00:28

Gazza
Can you explain that in simple terms for the tone deaf and technically illiterate amongst us?

Basically somewhere along the chain from recording the gig to transferring it to cd a tape has been running at a slightly wrong speed resulting in a slightly different pitch from what would have been heard during the actual gig.

In this case it means that Satisfaction, for example, is somewhere between E and D sharp. When it should be playing back in concert pitch E.

There's lots of ways it could have happened, it may simply have been the tape player used to transfer cassette to cd could have been running slightly slow.

Date: June 7, 2008 00:37

yeah, and there's always the chance that the band was actually playing at different from standard pitch--especially a raw-ish band like the '82 Stones--but as I meant to hint gently, mick's voice sounds unnaturally deep, at least on the clip HM posted. Unfortunately the deviation may not be consistent throughout the tape? Maybe processing software has a fix for that, too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2008 01:32

cc
yeah, and there's always the chance that the band was actually playing at different from standard pitch--especially a raw-ish band like the '82 Stones--

This is technically just impossible. The Stones never ever played different from standard pitch, not even in the earliest days. Tuning up always was against harmonica's, piano's, picth forks and whateve rin the beginning, and strobe tuners from '72 on.

On this tape Jagger sounds unnatural low. To go from E to Eflat takes about 6 BPM, which is a great deal.

Majesty, send the CDR to me and I will correct the pitch and load it up as a torrent.

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2008 03:30

Mathijs

On this tape Jagger sounds unnatural low. To go from E to Eflat takes about 6 BPM, which is a great deal.

Majesty, send the CDR to me and I will correct the pitch and load it up as a torrent.

Mathijs

The pitch difference isn't as much as that on this recording, it's more like a quarter pitch below where it should be rather than a half, ie inbetween E and Eb.

I tried burning some copies this evening but I've hit upon a problem, my computer keeps screwing that up! This means I can only send my actual cdr copy which I'm not too keen on. confused smiley

Date: June 7, 2008 04:07

Mathijs
This is technically just impossible. The Stones never ever played different from standard pitch, not even in the earliest days. Tuning up always was against harmonica's, piano's, picth forks and whateve rin the beginning, and strobe tuners from '72 on.

It certainly is possible technically--tuners must be calibrated, and standard pitch is just a convention--but I wasn't saying that they tuned differently on purpose. Instead, such factors as heat--especially in a small venue, though I guess this one wasn't so small--insobriety, and negligence--Stones specialties--could drive the whole band away from "whatever" reference point they started at. But yeah, just adjusting the tape to A=440 is probably the way to go. I just hope you don't use keith's guitar as your reference!

HM, what software are you using to rip the CD-R?

Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: June 7, 2008 09:34

I'm too young to have been at this gig but my first job was cleaning dishes in a local resturant and the chief there called kelvin was a huge stones fan and went to this gig.

He told me it was announced on the local radio but was sold out within hours. He had seen the stones in 73 and just had to see them again(remember loads of people thought this was the last time)

He took the day off loaded up the boot of his car with booze and took a thousand pounds out of the bank.

he sat in the bells bar (NEXT DOOR TO THE CAPITOL) all afternoon drinking with friends going outside every so often to see if there was a tout to buy a ticket from.

when the stones came on the whole of bells bar were standing with their ears to the wall hoping to hear this gig. kelvin said there was a huge roar then he heard the notes of under my thumb and ran outside. A tout was selling two tickets at £300.00 each, he took them both and ran into the gig with his wife.

I asked him what the gig was like and he said the first four songs were amazing. I asked "why only the first four songs?" turns out he had so much to drink he blacked out after the 4th song and didn't remember a thing about the rest of the gig!!! ha'ha!!

would love to hear this tape......my mum also saw the stones at this venue in 1964 but that's another story.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2008 12:06

cc
Mathijs

It certainly is possible technically--tuners must be calibrated, and standard pitch is just a convention--but I wasn't saying that they tuned differently on purpose. Instead, such factors as heat--especially in a small venue, though I guess this one wasn't so small--insobriety, and negligence--Stones specialties--could drive the whole band away from "whatever" reference point they started at. But yeah, just adjusting the tape to A=440 is probably the way to go. I just hope you don't use keith's guitar as your reference!

HM, what software are you using to rip the CD-R?

No really, this is something that could never happen. Professional Peterson Strobe Tuners were already available since the early 70's, as were electronic gizzmo's with a loud buzz for every tone on te piano. For every gig, the piano would be tuned by a piano tuner, and there's many instruments available that hardly drift, like a sax and harmonica. In the end, you can even pick up the telephone and you hear a perfect 440 A !

Of course, instruments drift. But bass, guitar and piano all drift differently, so that would cause a band to sound terribly out of tune, not any lower than concert pitch.

Mathijs

Stones using strobe tuners in '82:

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 7, 2008 14:57

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

The pitch difference isn't as much as that on this recording, it's more like a quarter pitch below where it should be rather than a half, ie inbetween E and Eb.

I tried burning some copies this evening but I've hit upon a problem, my computer keeps screwing that up! This means I can only send my actual cdr copy which I'm not too keen on. confused smiley

Can´t you ask a friend with a computer or something?
I would really like to hear this..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 7, 2008 18:47

ah, so that's what the gizmo is on top of keith's amp in this era--the strobe tuner! thanks, Mathijs.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 7, 2008 18:59

please guys, make this torrent happen!
many thanks

..and great story, robertfraser

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 7, 2008 19:16

An upload of the non-pitch corrected original would be ok. Once it's up it's just a matter of time before pitch corrected/remastered copies will surface...

Date: June 7, 2008 19:21

I'll work on FLAC upload when I have time.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 8, 2008 00:27

"Blacked Out In Aberdeen" great title!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-08 00:27 by barbabang.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 9, 2008 21:49

Bump - so this thread don´t die....... grinning smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: June 9, 2008 23:52

Any progress on the project yet.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 10, 2008 00:27

.... or more pictures, clippings and eyewitnessreports?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 10, 2008 14:01

seems poorly documented
our UK friends should open their vaults. I will check mines but I doubt I have something about Aberdeen

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

Date: June 10, 2008 14:13

toomuchforme
seems poorly documented
our UK friends should open their vaults. I will check mines but I doubt I have something about Aberdeen

uh..thats because it was a 'secret' show in a city thats quite a bit out of the way from the main media centres in the UK and only about 1,500 people were there!

Keep looking for that Sir Morgans Cove'81 tape and setlist!

Theres still several ABB tour shows - including a shockingly high amount of US ones - which still havent even circulated.

All things considering, I think we're doing OK with this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-10 14:16 by Gazza.

Date: June 10, 2008 14:21

the show can be secret but what about the newspapers the next day ?

we have pics from the 100 club Stu memory show after all.

Date: June 10, 2008 14:24

Not too many actually - and there was a media frenzy that week around the Stones because the 100 Club show took place around the same time as they were being presented with a Grammy.

As there was TV footage of the Aberdeen gig, I'm sure there was newspaper coverage as well.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 10, 2008 15:24

Amazing how this thread started out with a simple question and comes to unearthing a gem. WOW!
thumbs up

I hope you get past the technical obstacles soon.

It's probably not needed anymore - but I can offer to do pitch correction and torrenting also.

Date: June 10, 2008 15:53

it's nice to have some 'never found' stuff. It preserves the magical.
the chase is better than the catch

Date: June 10, 2008 15:55

open-g
Amazing how this thread started out with a simple question and comes to unearthing a gem. WOW!

lets start a thread on the Marquee 62, El Mocambo 77 and 100 Club 1986 shows and see if it works!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 10, 2008 15:55

cc
Mathijs

It certainly is possible technically----insobriety, and negligence--Stones specialties--could drive the whole band away from "whatever" reference point they started at. But yeah, just adjusting the tape to A=440 is probably the way to go. I just hope you don't use keith's guitar as your reference!

quote]

Never were truer words spoken...but it's always been half the charm ;^)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 10, 2008 19:33

I like how Hang Fire was in the Hot Rocks/warhorses section!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home