Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Capitol Theatre Aberdeen 1982
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 27, 2008 00:54

The "holy grail" of the 82 tour seems to be a recording of the warm up gig the Stones did at the 100 club. But what about the warm up gig the Stones did in Aberdeen, the very first show of the 82 tour in a small venue? Has a complete recording of that show ever surfaced?

Re: Capitol Theatre Aberdeen 1982
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:45

No

One near-complete tape purported to come from that show DID circulate for a few years however, before it was deemed to be from a 1981 show (Chicago I think) instead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 01:46 by Gazza.

Date: May 27, 2008 02:08

Great! One more holy grail to add to our list! Thanx for the reply Gazza.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 27, 2008 02:38

Is the Playhouse in Edinburgh a very small place? I didn't know but have always loved the cd of that show.

Date: May 27, 2008 02:44

Yeah. Holds about 3,000 (saw Bruce do a solo gig there in 1996..can only begin to imagine what it must have been like to have seen the E Street Band show there in 81 and the Stones in 82). Lovely theatre.

Date: May 27, 2008 02:48

Thanks for the info-HAVE A BEER!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2008 03:20

Aberdeen, that's where I'm from and still remain! cool smiley

I'm going to do some asking around and see if anyone has anything of interest from that gig. I know someone who's recorded loads of gigs he's been to since way back, hopefully he was there!

It's a nae bad wee city ken!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 03:24 by His Majesty.

Date: May 27, 2008 03:30

Now that would be one great find!!

Date: May 27, 2008 03:54

I think there may be a couple of songs from it in circulation (TV news footage)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 27, 2008 10:12

Yes there's 5 minutes of music; Jumpin' Jack Flash and Start Me Up(?), both incomplete and in poor quality; speed problems and stuff. Sounds like they are recorded from the TV with a handheld microphone.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 27, 2008 13:50

This is how the Daily Mail reported it at the time:

This picture is from the Daily Express:

Date: May 27, 2008 13:57

Ace, thanks for posting those LOGIE!

Date: May 27, 2008 14:13

Just spoke with my mum who was at this gig.

Someone in the stones camp requested an aberdeen football top from the team, so in return Aberdeen FC got some free passes.

My mum, who worked at Aberdeen FC at the time and some of the players and their wives were given these passes and access backstage. My mum says she stood just a few feet away from ol rubber lips. grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 14:33 by His Majesty.

Date: May 27, 2008 14:20

Your mum will love these two pictures from Melody Maker:

...and this bit of tittle-tattle from the Daily Mail:

Date: May 27, 2008 14:31

Jagger in "I'm just another member of the crew" shock!

£3,000 for 42 rooms! When touring now, the crew's breakfast tab would probably exceed that!

Date: May 27, 2008 15:11

Wow, this is becoming a very fascinating thread. Thanx for the info and clippings!

Date: May 27, 2008 15:21

The actual 'Sold Out' poster was put there at the beginning of the day by the Stones before a single ticket had been sold!

They did exactly the same at the other warm-up gigs in Scotland.

Date: May 27, 2008 15:57

Jagger wore a Scotland shirt at the Glasgow gig, if I remember right.

A mate of mine got tickets for that one as he was at Dundee university at the time and was helping her with some 'gardening' (I dont know if thats a euphemism or not) at her home in Glasgow when it was announced over the radio that tickets were onsale NOW for a gig at the Apollo. He says that he dropped his shovel (maybe another euphemism?) and ran straight to the ticket office downtown.

They cost just £6.00. The gig was so hush-hush that it didnt even give the name of the artist on the ticket in case someone at the printers leaked the info. It merely billed the show as "The Concert".

There were lots of rumoured secret shows that didnt quite come off that summer. Logie will no doubt remind us of the infamous evening a few days later when reggae artist Freddie Macgregor strode onstage at the Liverpool Empire to find the place packed to the rafters with people - including Logie himself - wearing Stones t-shirts, when only a couple of days earlier about a quarter of the tickets for his gig had been sold.....

Date: May 27, 2008 16:01

My mum says the backstage area was so crowded and rowdy that they decided to move on to the free bar area upstairs.

It was certainly an event for Aberdeen and at a time when the city was buzzing because of money from the oil industry and the good fortunes of their football team. cool smiley

PS: Alex Ferguson read me a bedtime story around about this time when some of the team were at a party in my parents house.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 27, 2008 19:38

Does anyone know the setlist???

Date: May 27, 2008 19:44

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 27, 2008 19:47

Thanks Gazza!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 27, 2008 22:40

Gazza

He did indeed. The old 'Home Internationals' were still going then and Jagger acknowledged the imminent Scotland V. England game. I attended both events and came away from The Apollo far happier than I did Hampden. The Auld Enemy won 1-0 (think Keegan might have scored).

Date: May 27, 2008 22:53

ROLLINGSTONE
Gazza

He did indeed. The old 'Home Internationals' were still going then and Jagger acknowledged the imminent Scotland V. England game. I attended both events and came away from The Apollo far happier than I did Hampden. The Auld Enemy won 1-0 (think Keegan might have scored).

Paul Mariner scored the only goal in that game.

At the Edinburgh show the day after Glasgow, Jagger teased the crowd with "who's going to win tomorrow?" The response was a deafeningly rousing chorus of "Flower of Scotland". Charlie ended up playing on the last few notes I think.

PS - we're still reigning British champions ......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 23:10 by Gazza.

Date: May 30, 2008 13:09

Ok this sounds promising...

My friend says:

I WAS at the Stones gig, but didn't record it. However I got a shot of a cassette recording of it not that long aga, and made a CD copy, so I'll happily copy it for you.

Hopefully it's a local recording that hasn't sneaked out of the city and not the Chicago gig mentioned above. Can someone link me to a recording of the Chicago gig or upload a couple of tracks so I can compare the two?

cool smiley

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 30, 2008 13:56

Two of the three '81 Chicago shows can be found in these threads in either FLAC or MP3:

FLAC: [www.iorr.org]
MP3: [www.iorr.org]

So only missing Chicago Nov 25 1981

Date: May 30, 2008 14:29

Sohoe
Two of the three '81 Chicago shows can be found in these threads in either FLAC or MP3:

FLAC: [www.iorr.org]
MP3: [www.iorr.org]

So only missing Chicago Nov 25 1981

Cool, I'll compare them when I get that cdr. I've asked if his recording has any mention of aberdeen though, also if the guy he got it from actually taped it on the night.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 30, 2008 16:51

His Majesty
Cool, I'll compare them when I get that cdr. I've asked if his recording has any mention of aberdeen though, also if the guy he got it from actually taped it on the night.

His Majesty, it's possible that the Chicago tape comes from November 25th, of which there is a poor audience recording only.
Why not check out the setlist first? If the tape includes Waiting On A Friend; it's not from 1982, but 1981.
Also - if there's horns on Hang Fire...trying to imitate the falsetto vocals of the studio version; it's 1982.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 16:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2008 16:55

His Majesty

PS: Alex Ferguson read me a bedtime story around about this time when some of the team were at a party in my parents house.

Bloody hell. What story?

Date: May 30, 2008 19:40

Erik_Snow

His Majesty, it's possible that the Chicago tape comes from November 25th, of which there is a poor audience recording only.
Why not check out the setlist first? If the tape includes Waiting On A Friend; it's not from 1982, but 1981.
Also - if there's horns on Hang Fire...trying to imitate the falsetto vocals of the studio version; it's 1982.

Thanks for that... My friend says that although he hasn't listened to it for a awhile, he thinks Mick mentions Aberdeen on the recording! cool smiley

Big Al

Bloody hell. What story?

Hah, I have no idea, I was only about 7 years old! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 19:43 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home