Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New tour, which opener ?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:01

Many ideas. Still; i'd say JJF.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:06

hot stuff
GOMPER....or sing this song all together (see what happens)

...everyone will head for the bar..thats what will happen

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:18

sftd is good , i would love htw
but i would like sympathy at the start , it would be amazing!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:28

the hit song from the next album

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:12

The thing about opening with JJF is they don't always have the mix right and if that song doesn't have enough punch to it, it gets the show off to a bad start.

Respectable or Paint It Black

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:14

Dan
The thing about opening with JJF is they don't always have the mix right and if that song doesn't have enough punch to it, it gets the show off to a bad start.

Respectable or Paint It Black

you have got to be kidding

Date: May 20, 2008 02:21

So am I the only one suggestin' JJF grinning smiley ?

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:22

open up with a groove instead of a bang...

EMOTIONAL RESCUE

The band slinks out from behind the amps slowly as the groove gets going and then Mick appears... "Is there nothing I can say? Nothing I can do?"

It could happen.

Date: May 20, 2008 02:23

The horror tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:29

The opener has to instill a huge roar from the audience and jump start them with energy and adrenaline that continues for the rest of the show. Starting off the show with a non-warhorse that isn't loud or rocking but instead more of a groove is a bit anti-climatic, in my book.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:36

Justin
The opener has to instill a huge roar from the audience and jump start them with energy and adrenaline that continues for the rest of the show.

I think part of what that makes that magic happen at a stones show is when they use the same opener throughout the tour.when the audience knows whats coming. Im all for changing up the set list from night to night, but I also think its good to have ceritan song positions, like the opener, be the same every night. As Mick once said "There's a certian magic in repitition". I think it helps give the tour its identity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-20 02:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:56

you gotta move! great tempo - and lyric wise a perfect call-up! ;-) or maybe....

suck on the jugular.....well time to go to bed, the jokes are getting lame.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:03

scaffer

Also love ryanpow's idea of (perhaps an abbreviated) version of 'Last Time,' but only if they have Charlie play the original 2-step beat, not the strange 4/4 version they did in '97-99' - it totally sapped the energy out of the song.

... When they used to open up with Last Time in the mid-60's, it seemed like a pretty frenzied moment for the audience.

finally someone agrees with me concerning the strange 4/4 version of Last Time in '97-99' - "sapping the energy out of the song" is the best description for their strange decision to drop the original 2-step beat. in fact it was the first time I ever thought that the Stones were absolutely wrong with a live arrangement of a certain song. I could never understand the praises of other fans for this version. it sounded amateurish, not swinging and the groove a total mess.

they butchered 19th Nervous Breakdown in a similar way at the start of the ABB tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-20 03:04 by alimente.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:36

I hope I never hear Satisfaction again live...they butcher it. Only once have I heard them play it with passion and urgency. It SHOULD be a great opener.

I agree shorter songs work best for the opener. I would like to hear Route 66 as an opener. Star Star would also make a cool, irreverent statement.

For a closer, I still think Street Fighting Man (as played in 1994) is amazing.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:38

Sympathy would be nice as something different. But I like the way Springsteen did it,on the last US leg. A different opener every night,then have the same song in the 2 spot every night. That was real cool. But,that would require imagination on their part.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-20 03:39 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 20, 2008 08:48

Yeah, Springsteen's had like 19 different openers in a row at his latest US leg.
I've said it before and I'm saying it again - the Boss is totally awesome and certainly knows how to please his large fan base.

As for the Stones I'd dream about openers like Flip The Switch, Love Is Strong, She Said Yeah, Sparks Will Fly or actually anything unexpected.

If it has to be a war horse or a well-known number I'd go for Paint It Black or All Down The Line.

After a reality check I think the new opener will unfortunately be the same old song and dance.......

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:02

Should be "Come On" !
LSTNT would be the ever perfect for second song
smoking smiley

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:17

I think that JJF is the best.. They should open with a popular song with energy.

But for fans, maybe a slow beast of burden will be nice to hear as an opener.. . Imagine, in an arena... soft light and an almost dark stage and then, the first notes of beast of burden.. keith is appearing...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:40

Start Me Up

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:45

ever since the last thread about this I'm dreaming about them opening with

"we love you"

foot steps
door slam (with fireworks)
they come on stage
the crowd goes wild

Date: May 20, 2008 10:49

Always had a dream about We Love You as an opener, but I know that won't happen. All Down The Line would be a good choice imo. They always do great versions of that song.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:54

Street Fighting Man was stunning as the opener on the Licks arena shows. So that would be a good choice. Start Me Up is great for it too, as is Jumping Jack Flash. I think, out of the warhorses, these three are the best ones. Then there's the non-warhorse ones they've used to great effect earlier. Let It Rock, Not Fade Away and Under My Thumb. All of those would be great choices. Lastly there's the songs I would like to see as the opener. I've always thought Moon Is Up would be good for it. The song is lovely and the harp is howling(Nice version from Sheperd's Bush Empire '99 btw). Midnight Rambler was super in Australia 2003, but I think it'd fit better as the first encore. Maybe they could pick one where only Mick and Keith starts it (As Tears Go By). The others kick in a little later. I think it would be a nice idea to start a show with a slow song for once. They haven't done it since 1995 really. It was great back then, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be great now.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 12:08

-"Come On" or

-"Rolling Stones Blues" (M.Waters) and the next is a fast one!

Date: May 20, 2008 12:14

<Street Fighting Man was stunning as the opener on the Licks arena shows.>

It was great, indeed.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 20, 2008 12:22

DandelionPowderman
<Street Fighting Man was stunning as the opener on the Licks arena shows.>

It was great, indeed.

I think SFM was never better than on that tour. It had such a @#$%& up great slam and bang to it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 20, 2008 12:54

Around and Around / Route 66 / Reelin and A Rockin

(in some way like they did If "You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud" during 75-76)

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 20, 2008 13:02

It'll never happen but i think 'Crackin Up' would be a superb opener for a small show

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 13:13

I agree. "Around And Arond" Or "Come On" or "Rolling Stones Blues".

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2008 14:35

Brown Sugar

I think Paint It Black made a great single, but to be honest, has never grabbed me as a great live track.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2008 14:37

harlito1969
open up with a groove instead of a bang...

EMOTIONAL RESCUE

The band slinks out from behind the amps slowly as the groove gets going and then Mick appears... "Is there nothing I can say? Nothing I can do?"

It could happen.

..and then his voice would go and the show would be over.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home