Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT; Warren Zevon.Any fans here?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:15

Warren Zevon a singer songwriter from L.A who unfortunately died too young from cancer, l love most of his work, songs like "Excitable boy","Lawyers,guns And money","Roland the headless thompson gunner" Mohamed's Radio, and of course "Werewolves of London" love the piano and drums on it.
This guy had it all but never made it big,his guitar player Waddy Watchel was (is) part of Keith' E.W band.
l was never able to see him playing live,did anyone here enjoyed his work?
This line from M.Radio's aplies so much to today""You work all day and still can't pay the price of gasoline"...Warren Zevon.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 02:20 by ROPENI.

Re: OT; Warren Zevon.Any fans here?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:20

yeah! huge fan here. Check out 1987's Sentimental Hygiene for a gritty dose of post-alcohol realism and 2000's Life'll Kill Ya for a late masterpiece, a profound meditation on weakness and death that strangely preceded his illness.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:31

I have greatest Hits & The Wind only. Both I enjoy lots. I haven't delved deeper to date. Love these 2 discs though! MEZ

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 14:28

Sometime later this year I think there is supposed to be an expanded version of his self titled 1976 album released. It's probably his best album overall, "Carmelita," "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," "Poor Poor Pitiful Me," and lots of other great songs. That's another one that even casual Zevon fans should own.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 29, 2008 15:32

Here is W.Z doing Werewolves Of London enjoy...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="

&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2008 15:34

Love 'im. A big favourite of mine. Must be one of the most commercially underappreciated artists in history.

I saw him twice, both in Belfast. The first was on the 'Sentimental Hygiene' tour in early 1988. He had this absolute goddess in his band called (I think) Karen Childs who played about five instruments, all brilliantly, and who I instantly fell madly in love with. The second time was on his final visit, a solo show in May 2000. He'd had to cancel a few shows prior to it with the flu, but although he was a bit under the weather he put on a superb show.

Still miss his great songs and incredible, biting wit. He died in the same week as Johnny Cash. What a fu*king horrible few days that was. Thankfully, I had a couple of Stones shows that week to cheer me up.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:22

I'm a big fan. I rate 'Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School' as my fav album.

He also included Stones songs like Before They Make Me Run in his shows occasionally.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:33

Yes, he was great but I never had the pleasure of seeing him live.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:36

Hello,

Lot of love here for Mr. Z..

Never saw him live either,but according to an acquaintance of mine,Warren was pretty generous with his time to fans after a New York show,not to mention being a barnstorming live performer!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:44

i remember meeting up with a pal of mine in London for a few drinks years ago, and rather ill-advisedly we decided that a trip to Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus was just what the doctor ordered.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT: do not go record shopping when you're half cut!

however, John picked up Exciteable Boy and said "buy this, and if you don't like it, tell me and i'll give you the money you paid out of my own pocket'

How can you pass up an offer like that?

It's a great album. It's everything a good album should be. Short, punchy, all killer no filler and the way the kinda choir kicks in on 'Roland', it still sends shivers down me spine.

I've bought other stuff by him, and liked it. Nothing has quite hit the watermark of EB, but jesus, he was one hell of a talent.

just look at the calibre and amount of artists that were happy to work alongside him. I suspect he really was 'the musicians musican'...

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 29, 2008 17:17

I'm a big long time fan. Waddy actually made his live shows in the 70s rock. Check out the reissued Stand in the Fire live LP. Later he became more of a solo acoustic performer, partly to save money when his record sales dried up. Agree that Sentimental Hygeine is the one CD to get once you've exhausted the early classics and are sick of Werewolves of London.

Memorable moment: He did a one-off acoustic show at a Philadelphia Theater when he was living here in the early 80's and did the coolest rendition of Before They Make Me Run. It was very fitting to his personal situation at that time. Would love to hear a recording of that.

HBK

Date: April 29, 2008 17:32

HouseBoyKnows
Waddy actually made his live shows in the 70s rock. Check out the reissued Stand in the Fire live LP.

not sure if this is what you're saying, but Waddy is not in the band on that album. Great live album, though! one of the best ever.

I may have the show you mention--I have a show from the Chestnut Cabaret from either '83 or '84. Let me check if "BTMMR" is on it... he would often do it as part of a medley, including "Start Me Up," and later "Dancing With Myself"! That first solo tour is really something... he's trying to come back from wrecking his career, and the shows have this real hard-bitten, deep quality.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: April 29, 2008 18:06

An appearance of his on David Letterman inspired me to seek him out. I knew Werewolves..., Excitable Boy, and Lawyers...I picked up A Quiet Normal Life, a "Best Of" release of his and really liked most of what was on there. I often ponder digging a little deeper into his music (but to date, haven't). His last is the one I'm always tempted to get because if I recall correctly, it was well received.

Here are the links to his appearance on Letterman, which was basically a living tribute. He was the only guest that night.

Date: April 29, 2008 20:39

cc - When did Waddy play with Zevon? My memory fails but I thought he was in the band when I saw them at Rutgers in the late 70s. It's probably in the Zevon biography that came out last year. I can look it up.

HBK

Date: April 30, 2008 07:46

HouseBoy, yeah, Waddy was along for the '78 shows, but it's a different band on Stand in the Fire, which was recorded in 1980, I think. Zevon introduces the band, lustily, on the record. They're guys I haven't heard of otherwise; David Landau plays the leads, I believe. But what a hot band!

I believe Waddy was also in the Everly Brothers touring band that Zevon was a part of--as musical director?--in the early 70s. And they play as a duo for at least one show which is available at the Internet Archive, a really great short show: [www.archive.org]

the Chestnut Cabaret show I have is from Oct. 9, 1984. It might be a little later than the one you were at--no "BTMMR." However, 2 shows also in the archive have that song. I have the one from the Old Waldorf, SF--it's excellent.

Date: April 30, 2008 14:05

Thanks cc. Just pulled my copy of SITF and it is Landau. You must have lived in the Philly area. I still do. I miss the Chestnut. Saw so many great shows there, including Ronnie and Bo. The Zevon solo show I saw was at the Academy of Music on 11 Feb 83 (Just checked my ticket stub). I think he was hanging with the WMMR DJ Anita Gevinson at the time and had either moved in with her on Rittenhouse Square or was about to.

HBK

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 30, 2008 14:12

Landau was a good guitarist. Think he also played in Carolyne Mas' band around then as well. She made some really terrific albums in the late 70's/early 80's

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 30, 2008 17:11

<<no "BTMMR." However, 2 shows also in the archive have that song. I have the one from the Old Waldorf, SF--it's excellent.>>

Also don't miss his cover of Hand of Fate from New York, Irving Plaza Nov 02 1999[Which is also in the archive]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-30 17:11 by Sohoe.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: April 30, 2008 17:44

"im a junk bond trader playing seminole bingo" has got to be one of the classic lines in rock.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 30, 2008 19:10

"Roland The headless Thompson Gunner" always freaked me out!!

Posted by: Des ()
Date: April 30, 2008 20:00

I must admit I stumbled foolishly across his work.

I took a computer chords and lyrics sheet from the computer for Poor Poor Pitifull Me. I liked strumming it and thought if I could only just tweek the lyrics to fit a male's perspective I might try it at open mike night. Looking for a copy to burn on the net for reference I see one by Warren. I down load it and it has the "original" lyrics for the male......Duhhhhhh.

My 14 year old daugters favorite song is Werewolves (although she likes the "very very greesy" bits in David Lindly's great cover). I turned the office on to one of my personal favorites "Certain girl".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home